Please add more Spear skins!

It's wild the amount of weapon sets that have no aquatic counterparts. It pretty much kills the looks and feels of some characters who want to stick to one set. Do you guys think they'll add more Spear or even Trident skins to existing weapon sets? Or is this too much of a reach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Maulclaw.4365 said:

It's wild the amount of weapon sets that have no aquatic counterparts. It pretty much kills the looks and feels of some characters who want to stick to one set. Do you guys think they'll add more Spear or even Trident skins to existing weapon sets? Or is this too much of a reach.

No they already said they wont add it to existing sets.

But they will to the new ones going forward.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

Q: Which spear skins can I use on land?

A: All current spear skins will be able to be used on land. We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections.

Edit

But then again they did say we would get more core relics going forward in Secret of the obscure and we got zero of those dident we?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/24/2024 at 12:18 AM, erapago.4387 said:

I just want the Staff spear skins to become actual Spear skins (sunspear and darkspear to start).

Exactly, I was going to write about this. ANet need to make spear version of SunSPEAR and DarkSPEAR as they're currently only staff versions... for now..

Edited by TwistedAlga.4235
Someone's mad over a typo.
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, erapago.4387 said:

I just want the Staff spear skins to become actual Spear skins (sunspear and darkspear to start).

I finally got access to spear as a weapon for my “Paragon” warrior build… and I can’t even use the most iconic spear skin with it because its a Staff Skin… I just want the Sunspear skin on Spear… that is all…

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

Exactly, I was going to write about this. ANet need to make staff version of SunSPEAR and DarkSPEAR as they're currently only staff versions... for now..

Just so you know you typed staff one time to many in this sentence.

• Confused 3

tbh I wish spear/staff/trident would share ALL their skins between weapon types. I wanna get ele able to wield a dps staff and maybe do a Fizz asura with a trident instead of a spear. How hard would it be to make them able to slap any of those 3 types skin between them?

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I blame everyone that couldn't stop complaining about underwater combat which ultimately led Anet to move away from it and from underwater weapon skins.

Most of us complained about it because we wanted to see improvements… it was just the extremely vocal minority that kept shouting that it was horrible and should be removed from the game that caused them to abandon it… if they would have listened to the majority instead, we gave lots of suggestions on how to improve it… and detailed the actual problems that existed…

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Gen3s anet, I beg you. I'm so accustomed to lava trails being a part of my character that I feel like I'm playing a dollar store version of it whenever I swap to spear. Some sort of lava-less peasant.

Edited by Vargs.6234
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Vargs.6234 said:

Gen3s anet, I beg you. I'm so accustomed to lava trails being a part of my character that I feel like I'm playing a dollar store version of it whenever I swap to spear. Some sort of lava-less peasant.

I don't need it myself, but Gen3 weapons have a shared aesthetic and as such Anet have sort of put this on themselves. In a sense they owe it to players like you to at least do this. I argued earlier for the last quarterly release of this expansion, so it wouldn't interfere with the legendary spear that's coming out in 3 months.

I'm sure people won't care about having to get JaWi mats to make this particular spear either.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

It's pretty unfathomable that they can't just add some staff skins that are spears...to the spear section. It's just visual...

They can but they choose not to... big difference there. And I wouldn't want them to do it. What I'd like to see happen is a collection purely with spear skins called "Ancient spears" where some of the older weapon set visuals are used for this new collection. I understand they don't want to add spears to the original collections but they could make a new collection using the visual style of some of the older sets.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

They can but they choose not to... big difference there. And I wouldn't want them to do it. What I'd like to see happen is a collection purely with spear skins called "Ancient spears" where some of the older weapon set visuals are used for this new collection. I understand they don't want to add spears to the original collections but they could make a new collection using the visual style of some of the older sets.

gemstore item AF, spears from the ages of old! A collection of many spear skins! The marketing they miss out on is SO depressing

• Confused 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:50 PM, Panda.1967 said:

Most of us complained about it because we wanted to see improvements… it was just the extremely vocal minority that kept shouting that it was horrible and should be removed from the game that caused them to abandon it…

No. It was their unwillingness to work on/fix old stuff that caused them to abandon underwater content to the degree where they stopped releasing weapon skins for it. Don't think even for a moment that Anet was somehow misled by a vocal minority. They weren't, they just didn't want to put the effort necessary to improve underwater stuff, and thus found those complaints to be a convenient excuse.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. It was their unwillingness to work on/fix old stuff that caused them to abandon underwater content to the degree where they stopped releasing weapon skins for it. Don't think even for a moment that Anet was somehow misled by a vocal minority. They weren't, they just didn't want to put the effort necessary to improve underwater stuff, and thus found those complaints to be a convenient excuse.

Didn't and couldn't are two very different intentions and ones we can only speculate them in having. I would say earlier leadership had less resources and drive and the current one has more vision and focus IMO so I suspect we are in better hands to see further iterations than what was possible before.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I would say earlier leadership had less resources and drive and the current one has more vision and focus IMO so I suspect we are in better hands to see further iterations than what was possible before.

The current GW2 team has definitely way less resources they had then. The whole release schedule change was caused by them no longer being able to do things they could before, after all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

On 8/23/2024 at 4:17 PM, Linken.6345 said:

But then again they did say we would get more core relics going forward in Secret of the obscure and we got zero of those dident we?

Jesus, I completely forgot about this. 

A lot of the Relics ultimately came down to "what was the best 2-3"; at the very least, Updates 1-3 in SotO and now JW provided really good Relics, but there's pretty much no point to using any of the Core relics unless you don't own SotO/JW.

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'd imagine that Anet had the metrics and found that almost no one engaged in underwater content so the decision was made to pretty much stop developing it outside of simple underwater exploration.

Basically this.

ANet noted that underwater combat needed a solid revamp to bring it up to standard, which is why they removed UW areas in WvW in 2013 and PvP in 2014.

And then... nothing happened.

I think the only new Underwater content we've gotten since then 

Admittedly, no one really does Underwater content if they can at all avoid it. Straits of Devastation (Orr) and Bloodtide Coast (Kryta) are pretty much the only maps in the entire game with Underwater-focused areas, and that only amounts to maybe 40% of the map's content (if not area).

Underwater Legendary Precursors were practically a nickel-for-5 for the longest time, with them gaining a bit of a bump when Legendary Armories were announced. Spear skyrocketed with JW announcement, with the Precursor going from ~40g to ~230g (stable prices)--and that was wholly due to being able to use it on land.

ANet probably isn't too off the mark with just making Tridents & Spearguns (Crossbows) usable on land rather than trying to revamp the Underwater content entirely. They would need too big of a fix to too ignored of a piece of the game to really bring anyone back to it.

Edited by Geoff Fey.1035

On 8/26/2024 at 10:57 AM, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

Jesus, I completely forgot about this. 

A lot of the Relics ultimately came down to "what was the best 2-3"; at the very least, Updates 1-3 in SotO and now JW provided really good Relics, but there's pretty much no point to using any of the Core relics unless you don't own SotO/JW.

Basically this.

ANet noted that underwater combat needed a solid revamp to bring it up to standard, which is why they removed UW areas in WvW in 2013 and PvP in 2014.

And then... nothing happened.

I think the only new Underwater content we've gotten since then 

Admittedly, no one really does Underwater content if they can at all avoid it. Straits of Devastation (Orr) and Bloodtide Coast (Kryta) are pretty much the only maps in the entire game with Underwater-focused areas, and that only amounts to maybe 40% of the map's content (if not area).

Underwater Legendary Precursors were practically a nickel-for-5 for the longest time, with them gaining a bit of a bump when Legendary Armories were announced. Spear skyrocketed with JW announcement, with the Precursor going from ~40g to ~230g (stable prices)--and that was wholly due to being able to use it on land.

ANet probably isn't too off the mark with just making Tridents & Spearguns (Crossbows) usable on land rather than trying to revamp the Underwater content entirely. They would need too big of a fix to too ignored of a piece of the game to really bring anyone back to it.

If you think those precursor price jumps were something, look at the jump for the chaos and tormented spear skins.

• Like 1

What I'd like to see is the spear that forms from engineer spear skill 3 made into a spear skin. Make a spear skin that actually looks suitable for engineer other than...

20 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

If you think those precursor price jumps were something, look at the jump for the chaos and tormented spear skins.

Aetherised too.

• Like 4

On 8/27/2024 at 2:54 PM, Super Hayes.6890 said:

The prices make me both happy and sad that I got Chaos Spear from a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock…

• Like 1