Thief 1500 Rifle range, and Ranger "1500" LB range (Video Evidence Now Included)

AikijinX.6258

Been saying this since the beginning. If anything, range should be double for the Sniper by definition, or at least no less than 2k for it to make sense and be useful as a sentry in towers etc., but then others step in saying "this isn't real life" - and it is not, but it just doesn't make ANY sense for a rifle w/ a scope to be capped at 1.5k range when crouching, otherwise only 1.2k and a longbow clearly hitting further for...... reasons? It's called Deadeye, so it should be deadly, not deadmeat, a sitting duck that anyone can play ping pong with.

Anyhow, this profession does not fit this genre and above all, is a ridicule by design.

Stealth would need to be reworked to camouflage where the Sniper would blend into the environment while stationery and remain invisible while stationery at large distance even when firing. Whenever an enemy would draw closer the sniper would naturally get revealed if performing any action, even moving slowly. Otherwise they could be nearly undetectable, which suits the role more.

Another great option that would make rangers more useful would be their pets being able to detect invisible units in a certain radius, let's say 800. They are pets after all. If you don't want to give this ability to all pets, then naturally canines have perfect sense of smell. Felines as well. This would also add to the diversity of builds as rangers would naturally choose different pets for different scenarios.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Inoki.6048" said:Stealth would need to be reworked to camouflage where the Sniper would blend into the environment while stationery and remain invisible while stationery at large distance even when firing. Whenever an enemy would draw closer the sniper would naturally get revealed if performing any action, even moving slowly. Otherwise they could be nearly undetectable, which suits the role more.

Another great option that would make rangers more useful would be their pets being able to detect invisible units in a certain radius, let's say 800. They are pets after all. If you don't want to give this ability to all pets, then naturally canines have perfect sense of smell. Felines as well. This would also add to the diversity of builds as rangers would naturally choose different pets for different scenarios.

This kind of approach to sniper combat only makes sense in FPS games, where factors like manual aim, range, bullet-velocity and drop all serve to complicate the shot, making a hit less of a certainty, besides that; the opposing player can do plenty of things to avoid the shot, like utilize cover or simply juking, throwing off the opponents aim. All of these things and more serve to complicate a Sniper role and limit their effectiveness, keeping it relatively balanced.

You can't do any of those things in GW2. The aim and tracking is automatic, and you don't have to compensate for velocity or drop as it's all done automatically, making every shot a near guaranteed hit depending on projectile velocity. The maps are not designed with plenty of cover in mind either, so it's not a reliable counter. Another problem GW2 has is the amount of projectile hate in the game... Your shots vanishing into "Uneven" terrain, a problem where the further the distance is the chance of this happening increases, along with the likelyhood of projectiles getting blocked or reflected. Long-range combat is simply not reliable, if you want 100% certainty that your projectiles are going to hit in this game you need to get close.

But honestly, that is beside the point... EVEN IF the ranged combat was reliable, a sniper-stereotype where you pack a lot of power into one shot from far-off, shouldn't be done in this game because it would be unbalanced as all hell, especially on Thief. Thieves already possess the highest mobility and escape-tools in the game, allowing them to reliably deal high damage from far off would be crazy unbalanced, because as soon as they can tell from miles away they are being hunted, they can easily exit combat and leg-it and/or port to safety. There's simply no way an attentive thief with that kind of range advantage would ever get caught UNLESS he wanted to. The only way they could make Deadeye Rifle "work" was by completely crippling it, which delegates it to the role of permanent bench-warmer in higher levels of PvP.

If Anet wasn't so goddamn scared of splitting PvE and PvP, this would be solvable.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:Not gonna read through 4 pages of opinions, but am going to add my own 2 coppers. I play both a Soulbeast and DeadEye and am perfectly fine with both ranges.

There is no opinion about it, facts are Ranger LB skills say 1500 and one 1200 Range, Deadeye Kneel Skills say 1500 Range, All Ranger LB skills “1200” and “1500” Range Skills out Range Deadeye 1500 Range Skills. There is video proof of it and Dev comments that all Melee and Ranged skills have a 15% Range Buffer that is clearly missing on a Deadeye Skills.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:Not gonna read through 4 pages of opinions, but am going to add my own 2 coppers. I play both a Soulbeast and DeadEye and am perfectly fine with both ranges.

There is no opinion about it, facts are Ranger LB skills say 1500 and one 1200 Range, Deadeye Kneel Skills say 1500 Range, All Ranger LB skills “1200” and “1500” Range Skills out Range Deadeye 1500 Range Skills. There is video proof of it and Dev comments that all Melee and Ranged skills have a 15% Range Buffer that is clearly missing on a Deadeye Skills.

Regardless, DE rifle range does not need more range. It’ll cross the line of op and people already complain about it still despite the nerfs. It’s good where it is.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

Regardless, DE rifle range does not need more range. It’ll cross the line of op and people already complain about it still despite the nerfs. It’s good where it is.

I’m sorry but it isn’t good anywhere except noob stomping in WvW. It is in desperate need of buffs

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

People only complain about Death's Judgement. I don't think I've ever seen someone mention any of the utility skills or other rifle skills as OP. Perhaps TRB in sPvP when PoF was first released, but they kinda heavy hand nerfed that down quick...

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

What don’t you get about 1500 Range not equaling 1500 Range? It’s a pretty simple concept, especially when “1200”Range skill out distances a 1500 Range skill.

Again it’s all about parity, another simple concept, but I understand some people like to have unfair adavantages when things are supposed to be equal, you know like when two skills both say “1500” but one clearly is further than the other by a large margin or when a “1200” Range skill is further than a “1500” Range skill.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

What don’t you get about 1500 Range not equaling 1500 Range? It’s a pretty simple concept, especially when “1200”Range skill out distances a 1500 Range skill.

Again it’s all about parity, another simple concept, but I understand some people like to have unfair adavantages when things are supposed to be equal, you know like when two skills both say “1500” but one clearly is further than the other by a large margin or when a “1200” Range skill is further than a “1500” Range skill.

What don’t you get? It’s my opinion that the two shouldn’t be equal in range?

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

So let me get this straight, you are saying that 1500 Range shouldn’t equal 1500 Range? And that 1500 Range shouldn’t be further than 1200 Range? This just proves the points I made in my previous comment.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

So let me get this straight, you are saying that 1500 Range shouldn’t equal 1500 Range? And that 1500 Range shouldn’t be further than 1200 Range? This just proves the points I made in my previous comment.

No, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

Here, I’ll make it super simple for you=Current DE rifle range = fine as it is.Current Ranger LB range = fine as it is.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

No, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

Here, I’ll make it super simple for you=Current DE rifle range = fine as it is.Current Ranger LB range = fine as it is.

Again you are saying “1500” Range shouldn’t equal “1500” Range and “1500” Range shouldn’t be further than “1200” Range, since it’s common Knowledge that Ranger LB skills say “1500” Range and “1200” Range and Deadeye Kneeling Rifle Skills day “1500” Range, yet the “1500” and 1200 Range of Ranger LB actually hit for much further than Deadeye Kneeling “1500” Range.

This is all about parity “1500” should mean “1500” and “1500” is further than “1200”, that’s just common sense and common knowledge.

Again this proves the point made in the second portion of the comment I made two comments ago.

@Turk.5460 said:I think he is saying that he is of the opinion that Rangers LB range of 1750+ is ok, even though the tooltip says it is 1500.

Thank you Turk. I’m not sure how much more simplistic I could have made it.

I’d say it’s simply a matter of just fixing the tooltip, but ranger lb isn’t always a guaranteed 1700+ range shot.

@Turk.5460 said:I think he is saying that he is of the opinion that Rangers LB range of 1750+ is ok, even though the tooltip says it is 1500.

Again the issue is the skills states 1500 but When shown in the video provide in the OP the discrepancy shows that they aren’t the same distance when they are supposed to be, since you know 1500=1500 and 1500 is a further Range than 1200, like I stated above some players like having their unfair advantages, this is a bug and needs to be corrected all on the basis of parity, either by removing the advantage of the outlying skills or by equalizing the underperforming skills to match the outlying skills.

A Dev stated all Ranged and Melee skills have a 15% Range Buffer, it is proven that’s Deadeye rifle is missing that Buffer that is intended for all skills.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Again the issue is the skills states 1500 but When shown in the video provide in the OP the discrepancy shows that they aren’t the same distance when they are supposed to be, since you know 1500=1500 and 1500 is a further Range than 1200, like I stated above some players like having their unfair advantages, this is a bug and needs to be corrected all on the basis of parity, either by removing the advantage of the outlying skills or by equalizing the underperforming skills to match the outlying skills.

A Dev stated all Ranged and Melee skills have a 15% Range Buffer, it is proven that’s Deadeye rifle is missing that Buffer that is intended for all skills.

Sounds like your obsessed with tooltips, which aren’t anet’s best hand.

Unfair advantage is your opinion and not everyone agrees with you.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

Here let’s put this simply, do both tooltips state 1500? Yes? Does one Classes Skills all shoot over 1500(even the one stated as 1200? Yes? So what does that mean? One of the skill sets isn’t performing correctly and needs to be fixed, hmm pretty simple concept I know some players can’t grasp it.

Let’s do a simple excercise what does 1500 mean? Does 1500 mean 1700+? No? Hmm who would have thought that 1500 meant 1500? Or that 1500 is greater than 1200? That’s a mind blowing concept I know, some next level maths right there.

Again I’m not the one defending an unfair adavantage unlike certain players, but hey I don’t need unfair advantages to perform well.

Again this all about parity/balance.

Not obsessed I actually want parity for the game with the health and balance of the game being good. Bugs need to be fixed, this is a bug, and one thing Anet doesn’t have issues with Tooltips they correct them and change them when they change the skills, history shows this.

I mean I wonder what the Anet Devs intent was when they make this very specific and concise change that is reflected on both the Patch notes and on the associated Tooltip,

“Specialization update:Ranger Longbow skill range is now 1500.”

And what their intent was for this very specific and concise addition to the game of Deadeye Kneel providing all Kneel skills “1500” Range.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Here let’s put this simply, do both tooltips state 1500? Yes? Does one Classes Skills all shoot over 1500(even the one stated as 1200? Yes? So what does that mean? One of the skill sets isn’t performing correctly and needs to be fixed, hmm pretty simple concept I know some players can’t grasp it.

Let’s do a simple excercise what does 1500 mean? Does 1500 mean 1700+? No? Hmm who would have thought that 1500 meant 1500? Or that 1500 is greater than 1200? That’s a mind blowing concept I know, some next level maths right there.

Again I’m not the one defending an unfair adavantage unlike certain players, but hey I don’t need unfair advantages to perform well.

Not obsessed I actually want parity for the game with the health and balance of the game being good. Bugs need to be fixed, this is a bug, and one thing Anet doesn’t have issues with Tooltips they correct them and change them when they change the skills, history shows this.

What? Anet has had issues with tooltips since day one. As you pointed out, history shows this.

So what are you trying to accomplish? A fix to ranger lb or an increase in de rifle range?

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

What? Anet has had issues with tooltips since day one. As you pointed out, history shows this.

So what are you trying to accomplish? A fix to ranger lb or an increase in de rifle range?

I’m looking for parity since Anet says both skills are intended 1500 Range which is reflected in everything from patch notes and skill tooltips, but there is a huge discrepancy that is noticeable and it was posted in the OP of video showing that 1500 is not 1500 when everything from patch notes and tooltips show that to be the intent, the bug discrepancy shows that even 1200 is further than 1500 Range.

Again does this patch note match the Tooltip?

“Specialization update:Ranger Longbow skill range is now 1500.“

Does that patch note different from the Tooltip in anyway? No? They both say 1500? Yeah?

So One of two things can happen, Anet goes through and makes sure that all skills with the same range actually have the same range either by increasing the distance of the underperforming skills or by lowering the distance of the over reaching skills, either works and does essentially the same thing of providing parity.

Again the Devs Stated all Ranged and Melee skills are to have a 15% Range Buffer for tracking purposes, so it would make sense they add the lacking Buffer to the skills lacking it.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

I’m looking for parity since Anet says both skills are intended 1500 Range which is reflected in everything from patch notes and skill tooltips, but there is a huge discrepancy that is noticeable and it was posted in the OP of video showing that 1500 is not 1500 when everything from patch notes and tooltips show that to be the intent, the bug discrepancy shows that even 1200 is further than 1500 Range.

Does that patch note different from the Tooltip in anyway? No? They both say 1500? Yeah?

So One of two things can happen, Anet goes through and makes sure that all skills with the same range actually have the same range either by increasing the distance of the underperforming skills or by lowering the distance of the over reaching skills, either works and does essentially the same thing of providing parity.

Again the Devs Stated all Ranged and Melee skills are to have a 15% Range Buffer for tracking purposes, so it would make sense they add the lacking Buffer to the skills lacking it.

And thus, this goes back to my original opinion. Both weapons are current fine as it is today. What you are proposing essentially equates to either a buff to DE rifle range or a nerf to Ranger longbow. Neither of which, imo, are needed.

It’s like we’re stuck in a repeat loop.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

And thus, this goes back to my original opinion. Both weapons are current fine as it is today. What you are proposing essentially equates to either a buff to DE rifle range or a nerf to Ranger longbow. Neither of which, imo, are needed.

It is neither a buff or a Nerf, it is a bug fix, the intent of both Ranger LB and Deadeye Kneel Rifle Skills is 1500 Range based on both patch notes and Tooltips reflecting each other, do they have equal range? No they don’t so one of them is bugged, again certain players like having unfair advantages that allow them to perform better.

So again for parity and the sake of eliminating Bugs in game the change is needed.

Pretty simple concept.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

It is neither a buff or a Nerf, it is a bug fix, the intent of both Ranger LB and Deadeye Kneel Rifle Skills is 1500 Range based on both patch notes and Tooltips reflecting each other, do they have equal range? No they don’t so one of them is bugged, again certain players like having unfair advantages that allow them to perform better.

So again for parity and the sake of eliminating Bugs in game the change is needed.

Pretty simple concept.

Lol, you keep repeating unfair advantage from a class that can choose to stay engaged or not at will. Look, if you think a ranger is a threat to thief, you need to change your class. Extra range or not.

Bug fix essentially equals a nerf or buff to the way it currently works. You’re just arguing semantics. The only fix needed is tooltips.

Archived