Changes to Warclaw Dash

Dash used to be a skill aimed entirely at escaping and avoiding combat.

Now with the latest changes it unconditionally does damage to anything Warclaw passes through, with no way to disable this behavior.

This effectively also means that going through anything that is not an ambient creature (white) will put players into combat mode.

What gives? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If there was no way to avoid this design change then why not just add a switch like the one for Lay-Line gliding on Skyscale to enable turning on/off damage during Dash?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

Probably the effect of unintended consequences. They put it in for a new mechanic because we need new things every expansion, no need to keep things and just add on. In that process, they broke the one thing it was good for. It probably comes down to the maggots. Blame them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You can mount the warclaw during combat, and you can use beehives to instantly renew the cool-down on said mount-during-combat ability. Thus, the issue and the solution are both self-contained within janthir masteries. I don't see the problem.

Edited by Mithral.8516
  • Like 7
  • Confused 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mithral.8516 said:

You can mount the warclaw during combat

Which does not apply to any other mount in the game besides Skyscale.

and you can use beehives to instantly renew the cool-down on said mount-during-combat ability.

I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion.

Thus, the issue and the solution are both self-contained within janthir masteries. I don't see the problem.

The masteries solve nothing because prior to Janthir Wilds release there was not a single mount in the game that did any damage to the environemnt unless being explicitly told to do so.

In fact, six out of nine mounts do not even have any type of offensive abilities, except when dismounting.

That's why this sudden change in the way how Warclaw was made to do damage regardless of the player's choice is puzzling and on top of that disruprive to the gameplay of players which often change mounts during map traversal.

Edited by holodoc.5748
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You can mount the warclaw during combat, and you can use beehives to instantly renew the cool-down on said mount-during-combat ability. Thus, the issue and the solution are both self-contained within janthir masteries. I don't see the problem.

Is your misperception that the warclaw is only doing damage during dashes on janthir maps, or that beehives have been added to non-janthir maps . . ?

• Like 5

There are a few mechanics. Jump (with spacebar default) Does a shorter jump without getting into combat.
Dash skill does put you in combat, but honestly, the mount travels so much distance fast, that it comes out of combat rather fast too.

I mean if that is an issue, you really not gonna like the Turtle Jets then... in combat and slow moving.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Dash skill does put you in combat, but honestly, the mount travels so much distance fast, that it comes out of combat rather fast too.

In the last couple of years GW2's map design has been gaining a lot of verticality, which means traversing a map now usually involves having to often switch between mounts.

Even the first map from JW has specific places where Skipper or even Griffon are preferred, especially with the 20% endurance gain bonus from masteries.

So imagine how infuriating it must be to accidentally use Dash in front of a very tall obstacle and then realize that you can't switch to Skippy simply because you hit a mob with Dash and have therefore entered combat mode.

It's now an even more glaring issue when Warclaw actually got some decent rework which kind of makes it more appealing to use.

36 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

I mean if that is an issue, you really not gonna like the Turtle Jets then... in combat and slow moving.

Every mount has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages so I personally wouldn't use the turtle for any kind of map traversal. In fact the turtle is pretty much only good for breaking defiance bars, to a degree, and showing off.

Edited by holodoc.5748
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

you're definitely making this out to be much worse than it is.

I spend a solid 2 hours today gathering wood and platinum for my homestead, and maybe got stuck in combat twice, and even then, i was out of combat a few seconds later.

if you're using Dash, you're usually traveling through and past the enemy, meaning by the time you actually need to dismount, you're already out of combat.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

22 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

I spend a solid 2 hours today gathering wood and platinum for my homestead, and maybe got stuck in combat twice, and even then, i was out of combat a few seconds later.

if you're using Dash, you're usually traveling through and past the enemy, meaning by the time you actually need to dismount, you're already out of combat.

What I forgot to mention is that I am also a very dedicated WvW player where Warclaw plays a huge role.

True, the skillsets between modes work differently but after so much time dashing and what to expect from it has become somewhat of a reflex, no matter the game mode.

All I am asking, if possible, is for someone at ArenaNet to at least consider adding a way to on-the-fly disable/enable damage from Dash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, holodoc.5748 said:

What I forgot to mention is that I am also a very dedicated WvW player where Warclaw plays a huge role.

True, the skillsets between modes work differently but after so much time dashing and what to expect from it has become somewhat of a reflex, no matter the game mode.

All I am asking, if possible, is for someone at ArenaNet to at least consider adding a way to on-the-fly disable/enable damage from Dash.

well good news, the Warclaw hasn't changed in WvW, so your point is meaningless

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

well good news, the Warclaw hasn't changed in WvW, so your point is meaningless

I thought it was perfectly clear from my previous posts in this thread that I also play PvE.

Therefore my point is obviously not "meaningless".

Edited by holodoc.5748
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

so why bring up WvW?!

30 minutes ago, holodoc.5748 said:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

You're definitely making this out to be much better than it is. This isn't an arbitrary change to how dash works, it's the result of a mastery, something that should improve play, in some way. Instead, it's an inconvenience. Again, not a gamebreaking inconvenience, not a crisis, not something that we need to stop development for so that we can fix immediately, but something that makes the mount less than it would be without it. So yeah, I'd like to see it addressed . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

It doesn't matter if it puts you in combat, since mounts do not move slower when in combat, and you can mount the warclaw in combat. So you can always easily move away and leave combat.

If anything they should apply that mounting in combat ability to the turtle.

13 hours ago, holodoc.5748 said:

In the last couple of years GW2's map design has been gaining a lot of verticality, which means traversing a map now usually involves having to often switch between mounts.

Even the first map from JW has specific places where Skipper or even Griffon are preferred, especially with the 20% endurance gain bonus from masteries.

So imagine how infuriating it must be to accidentally use Dash in front of a very tall obstacle and then realize that you can't switch to Skippy simply because you hit a mob with Dash and have therefore entered combat mode.

• Like 1

I'd probably go with the mastery only affecting enemies that are already aggressive to you.

There's a tradeoff in there as well: you get an endurance boost for hitting an enemy (which if you're just trying to get somewhere else would be a help iin getting past aggressive enemies without engaging).

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 2:44 PM, holodoc.5748 said:

Dash used to be a skill aimed entirely at escaping and avoiding combat.

Now with the latest changes it unconditionally does damage to anything Warclaw passes through, with no way to disable this behavior.

This effectively also means that going through anything that is not an ambient creature (white) will put players into combat mode.

What gives? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If there was no way to avoid this design change then why not just add a switch like the one for Lay-Line gliding on Skyscale to enable turning on/off damage during Dash?

Strongly disagree. You just don't use the dash while mining nodes around mobs and give them a wider birth to avoid detection. I love the dash damage personally, makes it more fun to charge into groups of mobs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't really mind that it puts you in combat because someone already mentioned it also offers a solution - in combat mounting. It's actually very useful gathering mount cause of that.

But I just find it annoying that you constantly hit stuff while dashing through. And there is really very little utility besides specific events because it's damage is worthless.   

I wouldn't mind a toggle. I would turn it off.

• Like 1