Severe Shortage of Spear Skins

The lack of spear skins is becoming quite obvious now that they've given players spears we'll actually want to regularly use. On one of my characters I use Shadow Serpent skins for all my land weapons. When I went looking for a Shadow Serpent spear no such model existed.  On another character I use the Necrotic weapon skins for land. No spear option there either. (I checked all the currently available Black Lion skins and there are no spear options for any.)

Since GW2 is also Fashion Wars hopefully the art department is busy behind the scenes rectifying this situation and will be unleashing a tidal wave of spear skins over the course of the Janthir expansion. It'd be a shame to have the expansion's feature weapon look so abandoned in its fashion aspect.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

There are a hundred and eleven spear skins listed on efficiency. That's more than the other aquatic weapons, but only about a third as many as the terrestrial weapons. So yes, there are fewer spear skins, but still more than a hundred to choose from. So hardly a 'severe' shortage . . .

But your complaint seems to be not so much the variety available but more that spear skins are missing from many existing sets. I do not believe they would go back through those sets and remedy that at this point, and they have said as much . . .

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dezzie.5903 said:

The lack of spear skins is becoming quite obvious now that they've given players spears we'll actually want to regularly use. On one of my characters I use Shadow Serpent skins for all my land weapons. When I went looking for a Shadow Serpent spear no such model existed.  On another character I use the Necrotic weapon skins for land. No spear option there either. (I checked all the currently available Black Lion skins and there are no spear options for any.)

Since GW2 is also Fashion Wars hopefully the art department is busy behind the scenes rectifying this situation and will be unleashing a tidal wave of spear skins over the course of the Janthir expansion. It'd be a shame to have the expansion's feature weapon look so abandoned in its fashion aspect.

Not sure why they're confused facing you. What you point here is definitely a disappointing issue. I noticed myself for sure, as a person who takes fashion wars seriously.

• Like 7
  • Confused 6

34 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Not sure why they're confused facing you.

Please don't spend any time analyzing why people confuse face.  Pay zero attention to the emoji responses, they are as useless as they are on every forum that uses them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

There are a hundred and eleven spear skins listed on efficiency. That's more than the other aquatic weapons, but only about a third as many as the terrestrial weapons. So yes, there are fewer spear skins, but still more than a hundred to choose from. So hardly a 'severe' shortage . . .

But your complaint seems to be not so much the variety available but more that spear skins are missing from many existing sets. I do not believe they would go back through those sets and remedy that at this point, and they have said as much . . .

More than a few are very hard and next to impossible to get. A few are expensive and a few are exclusive to certain game modes so for casual players its even less.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That's true of the terrestrial weapons as well, arguably moreso. It's also true that there are always skins available that don't make it into efficiency's database . . .

As a long time but very casual player with zero interest in fashion I've unlocked eighty-nine of those skins, so most are easily available . . .

More accounts have unlocked thirty different spear skins than have unlocked the ability to use spears on land . . .

On 8/31/2024 at 8:41 PM, Gop.8713 said:

There are indeed and yet, there's only a handful I actually like to use because most of them are fugly, in my opinion of course. I have this with weapon skins in general. For every one I like there's at least 10 I don't like, which makes sense because tastes are wildly different between players.

A lot of skins are themed as well, like some are obviously Charr themed weapons or nature themed, etc. And you know, there's the ascended spears that have like 7 different colours but are all the same skin. And then there are skins that are only available as very rare drops; there are spears that are dependent on types of content like WvW and Fractals, etc. So even the availability of a lot of the current spear skins is not that straightforward.

The new expansion is all about spears when it comes to combat and yet, they didn't even put a few nifty spear skins in the gemstore upon release. That, if anything, surprised me.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You'll find the majority of your points addressed in the posts between the post you quoted and the post you made, but fwiw the first JW release did include seven new spear skins. If these skins had been made available via the gem store rather than in game, I imagine you'd hear more complaints, not fewer . . .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

You'll find the majority of your points addressed in the posts between the post you quoted and the post you made, but fwiw the first JW release did include seven new spear skins. If these skins had been made available via the gem store rather than in game, I imagine you'd hear more complaints, not fewer . . .

I don't think that's really what they're talking about here.

What they mean is, in example, a player has built their character theme around these skins and outfit Magical weapon skins - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) Magical Outfit - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) but then there is no spear skin for it. Not only is there no specific spear skin for this, but there are so few skins even available, that absolutely no spear skin in the game even roughly matches this character's theme.

That ^ is what's being complained about here.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Yes, I understand the complaint, as I mentioned in my first post

On 8/31/2024 at 1:41 PM, Gop.8713 said:

but, as also mentioned, anet has said they do not intend to go back and design spear skins for all previous sets, which seems reasonable to me given the number of sets we'd be talking about in all the years since they stopped making sets with aquatic skins . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 2:41 PM, Gop.8713 said:

Here you go: Wardrobe/Spears - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

• About 25 of these are copies of copies of small variations of the same beginner tier "iron spear". Hardly anything to be playing fashion wars with.
  • Roughly about 25 are of the quality of say "seraph spear", things you have to use karma to get or find off mob drops from certain areas. Again, these skins aren't exactly made to match end-game level fashion war quality outfits on 12 year old players with 600 mastery points who are wearing every piece legendary.
  • About 50 of them are exotic quality lv 80 skins that must be bought from things like dungeon vendors, found during rare drops, bought from TP sell listings, or the handful of black lion spear skins that they did make in the beginning of the game, or crafted. There are some decent skins here that if you're lucky depending on theme you chose, you can SORT OF make it work. Still doesn't look right, but at least it isn't entirely off-putting when injected into your legendary weapon/outfit sets or very specific themed getups.
  • And then there is like 9 or 10 ascended crafted skins that are the same exact fugly skin that is different colors, which no one would ever use.
  • There is only a very very small handful of skins that straight look cool/shiny/special enough to be able to hang with other legendary weapon/armor skins, depending on themes, to look right and be satisfying in your fashion wars. Here are the options: Chaos Spear - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) - Falling Star (skin) - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) - Ignus Fatuus (skin) - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) - Illusion (skin) - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) - Kamohoali'i Kotaki (skin) - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) - and maybe a a few of the exotic skins, depending on what you define as "shiny special enough" but imo the above are the only ones that can hang on a legendary character and not look chinsy.

Understand that within those limitations, we get: "a white light theme" - "a fire spear theme" - "misty purple mesmer theme" - "shark hunter savage theme" and that's it.

THAT is what people mean when they say there is a shortage of spear skins. Because out of the 111 skins that we have, only about 10 to 15 of them even look viably cool enough to use on 12 year old characters without making the spear look weak when set next to the other legendaries. That's what they mean.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

19 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

but, as also mentioned, anet has said they do not intend to go back and design spear skins for all previous sets, which seems reasonable to me given the number of sets we'd be talking about in all the years since they stopped making sets with aquatic skins . . .

Yup that should fix the problem.

That'll be great.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

9 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

So to reiterate, you understand that I understood the complaint, and you understand that the complaint has been addressed, and not to your satisfaction. Is there anything else I can help you with . . ?

is just assy

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think it's safe to say that the devs are never going back and making a new spear for every collection that didn't include one.

Not only have some of the original artists moved on to other projects, and thus those new spears will have to me designed by other people, but there are 90 Black lion sets alone, thats 90 skins that a handful of artists now have to immitate.
And then we get into the more technical side of things like Collection acheivements, do you add another weapon to those collections? making it harder for people to get those old collections, or at worse, invalidating peoples acheivements who already completed them; or do you just exclude the spears, because if you exclude them now you're got the problem of someone buying a weapon set in bulk off the TP for the achievement/tickets and accidentally buy the spear skin, now they're pissy because they've wasted +30g and they're wondering why theres a skin in the set that isn't included in the collection.

also, how are we even suposed to get these skins? most of these black lion weapons are only available on the TP from people selling duplicates from Black lion chests drops or through random chance with a vintage black lion skin box?

even if they did go back and remake them, you're just going to complain that they're too hard to obtain.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 7:05 PM, Degs.5148 said:

Please don't spend any time analyzing why people confuse face.  Pay zero attention to the emoji responses, they are as useless as they are on every forum that uses them.

iam giving this comment a confusion face. Do the same for my post if any reader reading this, believes I am handsome 

• Sad 1