Guild wars 3

On 7/11/2024 at 11:52 AM, Izzy.2951 said:

Sure i can link you. Aroon Coberly was lead character design and GW2 Art Director till 1 year ago or so. Last year Anet hired a new GW2 Art Director, while Aron still works at Arenanet and he updated his Linkedin profile saying his new duties were: guiding a team to move more than 295 GW2 assets to UE5 project, and create a experimental Python tool to export animations from Maya (GW2) to UE5 (february): 

Again this is not a GW2 remake in UE5, its easier to move animations and things to dont start from 0 in GW3 and to remake some of them and use it in the future. Theres is no point in making a GW2 remake and then give you all the skins, legendaries, expansions etc that you already have and will kill all the new player interaction. So it wont sell not even close to a potential GW3. Besides the fact that is IMPOSIBLE to literally create all the GW2 content that is right now into UE5 it will take them maybe 20 years at least paying a huge team every year with 0 income.

So you have Anet doing a unnanounced project that is a multiplayer RPG with stablished fantasy IP in UE5. You have the NCsoft CEO saying Anet is currently working in GW3. And you have experienced devs leaving GW2 for the new project aswell as moving assets from GW2 to the new project. How is it not true that GW3 is not being made right now? and that all this also explain the lazy and mediocre quality of the content being develop for GW2. Also arenanet basically didnt deny it either. 

SMITE 2 (moba) is being developed right now in UE5 and they have ported nearlly all the SMITE 1 content from UE3 to test things and remake the stuff they want into SMITE 2, which is a different new game where your not getting all your SMITE 1 stuff. So there you have an example of this.

Thanks for the info. I don't use Twitter (or any social media for that matter) so all my info is only from ArenaNet's official site.

Here's the thing about SMITE 2: It has been officially announced, it has been officially confirmed, it has an official site you can go to right now to view details, it has a public alpha. GW3 has none of those things. Until there is an official announcement, an official confirmation, an official site (guildwars3.com does not even exist), or a call for public testing, it's not a thing.  You can speculate all you want. That's all it is right now: pure speculation based on information that is either incomplete or subject to change. Nothing is certain. NCSoft could suddenly change their mind about whatever the project is.

I'm not disagreeing with you that porting GW2 assets to UE5 is a good starting point for GW3 development if that even is what it is (could be some spinoff of GW2 for all we know). I'm saying that without official word and confirmation, it's not a thing. Whatever ArenaNet is working on, they'll give us official info when/if they're ready. It's entirely possible that the reason ArenaNet can't confirm/deny anything is because everything is likely still in a very early stage that is not viable for public disclosure.

Wait for officially confirmed information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Thanks for the info. I don't use Twitter (or any social media for that matter) so all my info is only from ArenaNet's official site.

Here's the thing about SMITE 2: It has been officially announced, it has been officially confirmed, it has an official site you can go to right now to view details, it has a public alpha. GW3 has none of those things. Until there is an official announcement, an official confirmation, an official site (guildwars3.com does not even exist), or a call for public testing, it's not a thing.  You can speculate all you want. That's all it is right now: pure speculation based on information that is either incomplete or subject to change. Nothing is certain. NCSoft could suddenly change their mind about whatever the project is.

I'm not disagreeing with you that porting GW2 assets to UE5 is a good starting point for GW3 development if that even is what it is (could be some spinoff of GW2 for all we know). I'm saying that without official word and confirmation, it's not a thing. Whatever ArenaNet is working on, they'll give us official info when/if they're ready. It's entirely possible that the reason ArenaNet can't confirm/deny anything is because everything is likely still in a very early stage that is not viable for public disclosure.

Wait for officially confirmed information.

Existence of things is in no way dependant on official recognition. Earth was a sphere (revolving around sun) even when everyone believed it was flat (with sun moving above it on celestial wireframes). Lack of offocial; recognition of that fact didn't change the reality.

In the same vein, the unannounced project Anet is working on in the background does exist - and has a tangible impact on GW2 development. Sure, it is possible it will eventually be scrapped and never see the light of the day, but at this moment it very much is a thing. Claiming it is not just because it is not officially announced is just denying reality.

Of course, we do not know for certain whether that project is GW3 or not, but, again, whether GW3 is a thing or not depends on whether they are actually working on it or not. Not on some official announcements, because they are just that - announcements. They can at best reveal whether something exists or not, but they do not change that fact.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In the same vein, the unannounced project Anet is working on in the background does exist - and has a tangible impact on GW2 development.

No one can make this claim.  Any perceived impact is purely subjective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Quality of their work may indeed be subjective, but there are things that aren't. Them not being able to work on 2 major concurrent GW2 projects now, while having more devs they had at the time when they could is not subjective.

Also, sorry, you're not going to tell me they're doing as good a job now with the new style expansions as they did during LS3 into PoF era. It was after PoF that they started to spin off additional projects in the background, and the impact on the game was extremely visible (even if in theory that perception was subjective).

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:44 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Existence of things is in no way dependant on official recognition. Earth was a sphere (revolving around sun) even when everyone believed it was flat (with sun moving above it on celestial wireframes). Lack of offocial; recognition of that fact didn't change the reality.

In the same vein, the unannounced project Anet is working on in the background does exist - and has a tangible impact on GW2 development. Sure, it is possible it will eventually be scrapped and never see the light of the day, but at this moment it very much is a thing. Claiming it is not just because it is not officially announced is just denying reality.

Of course, we do not know for certain whether that project is GW3 or not, but, again, whether GW3 is a thing or not depends on whether they are actually working on it or not. Not on some official announcements, because they are just that - announcements. They can at best reveal whether something exists or not, but they do not change that fact.

Allow me to clarify my vocabulary, since it is causing some unintended confusion and I apologize for that. When I say "It's not a thing" I mean it in the context of it is not something worth discussing or thinking about or basing any decisions off of. I'm not denying the existence of the project, as you imply. I have said numerous times that it's no secret they are working on something. All I've been saying is for people to stop saying it's GW3 and that it means GW2 is going to be shut down. We don't know that. You WANT it to be. It's okay to want a shiny new thing, but hold your horses and wait to see what that shiny thing is. You might not want it after all.

I personally don't care what the project is, whether it's a sequel, a spinoff, a relaunch in a new game engine, or a completely new franchise. It doesn't matter what the project is because it is currently not something we should be concerned with. Any speculations you come up with on here will have no effect on the project itself. Go enjoy playing GW2.

To this day new people are still starting to play brand new, and some people have returned after years away with an  interest in what's going on. My own guild yesterday got an influx of like 5 people that are either new or returning players. That perfectly encapsulates the genius of GW2 in that both these types of players can play 'catch up' without having to worry about a gear treadmill. They can just pick something to do and do it, and can ask for help as necessary and will get it.

Of course the game has issues, but what game doesn't? Of course the quality of content is going to decrease with minimal personnel focused on it. Let them finish their kitten project before you spout doom and gloom. Wait for official info. When/if that info is revealed, THEN you can decide for yourself if you want to keep supporting GW2/ArenaNet or not, since you seem to be looking for an excuse to quit.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

All I've been saying is for people to stop saying it's GW3 and that it means GW2 is going to be shut down. We don't know that. You WANT it to be.

No, i don't want that. i'd be extremely happy hearing from Anet a confirmation that it is not the case. Unfortunately, no such assurances are forthcoming, and that is what worries me.

When i see the signs that something i consider bad might happen, i prefer to consider that possibility, and talk about it while it's still just a possibility, instead of getting hit by it when completely unprepared.

"See no evil, hear no evil" does not make the bad things go away. It makes them more likely to happen.

So, yeah, i will keep raising that issue until i get an actual answer.

• Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, i don't want that. i'd be extremely happy hearing from Anet a confirmation that it is not the case. Unfortunately, no such assurances are forthcoming, and that is what worries me.

When i see the signs that something i consider bad might happen, i prefer to consider that possibility, and talk about it while it's still just a possibility, instead of getting hit by it when completely unprepared.

"See no evil, hear no evil" does not make the bad things go away. It makes them more likely to happen.

Dude, it's a game. It's not worth living with paranoia. It's okay to think that GW3 is bad, but it's all just a game. I wish people took your level of conviction to our country's political process and payed attention to actual real issues and voted accordingly.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Dude, it's a game. It's not worth living with paranoia. It's okay to think that GW3 is bad, but it's all just a game. I wish people took your level of conviction to our country's political process and payed attention to actual real issues and voted accordingly.

I'm not sure that anything astral has said leads them into the land of "paranoia". They've presented a lot of evidence for their educated guesses and voiced their concerns in a coherent manner. Seems rather strange to me that we'd call them paranoid for calling out what seems to be in plain sight. Seems to be.

Besides, lack of evidence isn't evidence to the contrary. Just because there is no official statement doesn't mean there isn't work happening behind closed doors, and there IS evidence for it.

This is a thread about gw3. It is a fair place to discuss what is or isn't coming in this regard, without calling out peoples' commitments to real life issues and politics. It's really a shame that this thread has gone on 50 pages and it's just back and forth whether we should believe in gw3 or not. For the purposes of this thread, maybe we can operate on the principle that it may indeed be being worked on. At least it makes for a far more interesting topic. I know tons of people who would be excited for a guild wars 3, and they can do that by still being excited about and enjoying gw2 now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

On top of that, a lot of people assume that if they didn't have other things in the pipeline that Anet would use these resources fully for GW2. NcSoft and Anet will only want to invest as much as they feel is warranted and if they have spare capacity it would be used for something else or it will be made redundant. 

I feel that people who are all about wanting Anet to invest more into GW2 and how that will make things better, are pretty much deluding themselves. Anet does have to make a business case every time where they have to explain costs of resources and projections of how much those resources are likely to bring them. And that is looked at very critically. The good old cost vs benefit is key in those calculations and if spending more resources doesn't give as much in revenue then they likely won't (be allowed) to do it.

So Anet can put more people on GW2 but if they were to put more resources on the game, then these resources wouldn't be cost effective. That's purely how business tends to work; at some point resources spent will get diminishing returns and they like to spend resources to just that point where it starts going down hard. And I think that's where Anet/GW2 is at.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Anet does have to make a business case every time where they have to explain costs of resources and projections of how much those resources are likely to bring them.

Sadly this is true of all things in the world, and I have so much I want to say about this, but sadly can't in this (literal and figurative) forum. Suffice it to say, it all leads to a term Cory Doctorow coined not long ago, and it's all going to be a lot worse right around the time of it's 2 year anniversary. So raise a glass, I guess. 🥂

• Confused 4

On 7/15/2024 at 6:08 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

They're not going to conifrm or deny anything. We live in a day and age where people are so conspiratorial, too many will just accuse them of lying. 

So whilst we might believe Anet if they said it wasn't forthcoming, others would twist it to show that it meant the opposite. Silence - whilst I hate that - is their only viable option

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

They've been developing it for a while. It's still many years out.

There are a lot of lessons to learn here - the casual pve has been a great success. The system designs to get people to cooperate in the open world have been a success.

But we're a month from being 12 years since launch. Get a new engine to support more players on the map. Make combat more approachable. Figure out if you want or need a mastery system or maybe it should be something more approachable for players.  

GW2 has become bloated, harder and harder to approach with each expansion and living world and now annual mini-expansion. It's a smart move to think about Guild Wars 3. A new story. New characters. New ideas. Lessons learned. And then in April 2030 on the 25 year anniversary of the launch of Guild Wars 1 you launch Guild Wars 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, loonatic.1689 said:

I'm not sure that anything astral has said leads them into the land of "paranoia". They've presented a lot of evidence for their educated guesses and voiced their concerns in a coherent manner. Seems rather strange to me that we'd call them paranoid for calling out what seems to be in plain sight. Seems to be.

Besides, lack of evidence isn't evidence to the contrary. Just because there is no official statement doesn't mean there isn't work happening behind closed doors, and there IS evidence for it.

This is a thread about gw3. It is a fair place to discuss what is or isn't coming in this regard, without calling out peoples' commitments to real life issues and politics. It's really a shame that this thread has gone on 50 pages and it's just back and forth whether we should believe in gw3 or not. For the purposes of this thread, maybe we can operate on the principle that it may indeed be being worked on. At least it makes for a far more interesting topic. I know tons of people who would be excited for a guild wars 3, and they can do that by still being excited about and enjoying gw2 now. 

Coherent does not mean devoid of excessive worry. I'm convinced that guy is overthinking the whole thing and stressing himself out over nothing. He thinks that ArenaNet working on a project is bad thing, and no information from anyone will convince him otherwise. If he gets confirmation, he'll call for boycotts and try to convince others to quit. If he gets denial, he'll call ArenaNet liars. There is no 'win' here.

His talks of GW2 being over can dissuade others from playing, which could create a sort of 'self fulfilling prophecy'. Less people playing means less revenue means layoffs means projects cancelled means "See I told you all along it was over!" That is the scenario we should strive to avoid by not jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information that is subject to change. Remember, NCSoft can pull the plug on whatever is being worked on if they deem it necessary, so let's not act like there is anything concrete for us to worry about, because nothing has been confirmed.

At no point did I say that the there is no work happening behind closed doors. We all know that something is being worked on. We just shouldn't be saying that it is a sequel to GW2 and that GW2 is on it's way to being shut down. We don't know that, and we shouldn't be discussing a sequel until it is a confirmed and verified thing. Whatever they are working on, they'll tell us about it when it's ready. Then, and only then, can people actually have a meaningful discussion about it.

It doesn't matter what the 'evidence' suggests about the project, there is nothing we can do about whatever work is being done. We're just along for the ride. No amount of 'discussion' here will have any effect whatsoever on the project. So, let's quit worrying about what it could/couldn't be and just wait for official confirmation of what it is they're working on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leger.3724 said:

They've been developing it for a while. It's still many years out.

There are a lot of lessons to learn here - the casual pve has been a great success. The system designs to get people to cooperate in the open world have been a success.

But we're a month from being 12 years since launch. Get a new engine to support more players on the map. Make combat more approachable. Figure out if you want or need a mastery system or maybe it should be something more approachable for players.  

GW2 has become bloated, harder and harder to approach with each expansion and living world and now annual mini-expansion. It's a smart move to think about Guild Wars 3. A new story. New characters. New ideas. Lessons learned. And then in April 2030 on the 25 year anniversary of the launch of Guild Wars 1 you launch Guild Wars 3.

They can do (and have done and are actively doing) new characters/stories/ideas in GW2 already. GW3 is not necessary for that. The Unreal Engine that they are working with can definitely help with some optimization issues as well as performance and quality of life (perhaps even a console port as some have been requesting), but again GW3 is not necessary for any of that. Porting GW2 to UE can do the same thing.

I fail to see how the mastery system is inapproachable. It's very easy to follow and straight forward to accomplish. Combat in this game is also very approachable, with a variety of ways to play each profession. Sure, not every build is optimal, but so what? People can play however they want and still have fun. That matters more.

I also disagree that additional content and things to do should be considered bloat. Just because you have more options of what content you can choose to play does not mean the game is less approachable. Games like this require a considerable time investment, but that does not mean it is inapproachable. This game excels at being very kind to casual players, those who take breaks, and those who return after said breaks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 7/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

So... basically unreasonable anxiety. If there's a GW3 being actively developed (and that's already a huge if for alternative explanations others have already given), it would be far from "just a possibility" because the development would already be in place and the decision to start it would have already been made months/years ago (i.e., no point being anxious about it because it's a done deal).

On 7/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Anet (or any company with any business sense) would/will never give an answer to the question of whether a sequel product is coming out until it's substantially in development to the point that it has little to no chance of being a flop, as it would just cause them to lose profits/players from their current game/product (i.e., GW2) with no reward. One exec (supposedly) giving a greenlight to a GW3 does not count as substantial development, as it would still have a very high chance of having the plug pulled.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

So... basically unreasonable anxiety. If there's a GW3 being actively developed (and that's already a huge if for alternative explanations others have already given), it would be far from "just a possibility" because the development would already be in place and the decision to start it would have already been made months/years ago (i.e., no point being anxious about it because it's a done deal).

Anet (or any company with any business sense) would/will never give an answer to the question of whether a sequel product is coming out until it's substantially in development to the point that it has little to no chance of being a flop, as it would just cause them to lose profits/players from their current game/product (i.e., GW2) with no reward. One exec (supposedly) giving a greenlight to a GW3 does not count as substantial development, as it would still have a very high chance of having the plug pulled.

Being substantially in development is not necessarily a factor in whether or not a product is a flop. Every MMO that has flopped had substantial development.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Being substantially in development is not necessarily a factor in whether or not a product is a flop. Every MMO that has flopped had substantial development.

Why not? An MMO that is 60% developed is much, much less likely to have its plug pulled than one at 1-5%.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Why not? An MMO that is 60% developed is much, much less likely to have its plug pulled than one at 1-5%.

Ahh, I see the misunderstanding. A flop is something that has been released and poorly received. Pulling the plug during production is something else entirely.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

After playing Throne and Liberty's beta test a little - I'm more and more excited for Guild Wars 3. The scale of Throne and Liberty is fantastic. I'm imagining it with Guild Wars 2 style events, hearts, vistas and POI.

I think Throne and Liberty suffers from menu clutter and the combat isn't great. If Arena Net can figure out a streamlined menu system, a streamlined action combat system that has replay value and doesn't get boring, they will have a massive hit on their hands.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

14 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

After playing Throne and Liberty's beta test a little - I'm more and more excited for Guild Wars 3. The scale of Throne and Liberty is fantastic. I'm imagining it with Guild Wars 2 style events, hearts, vistas and POI.

I think Throne and Liberty suffers from menu clutter and the combat isn't great. If Arena Net can figure out a streamlined menu system, a streamlined action combat system that has replay value and doesn't get boring, they will have a massive hit on their hands.

Right, because GW2's menus are a mess to navigate and the combat is unplayable. You sure we're playing the same game?

I'm all for looking forward to new games, but perhaps you should wait for actual confirmation of things, or a trailer, or an actual website that has info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

I wonder if in GW3,  if they going to copy the spirit form as  a means of travel , or the wall-walk on Blade and Soul  , or combine them so you can hang from walls/houses/tree and use spirit allows you to change directions/change altitute .

As they are going to expirement even more in the current game , like the Fractal's Grapling Hook ?

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Ryuk.6840 said:

I wonder if in GW3,  if they going to copy the spirit form as  a means of travel , of the wall-walk on Blade and Soul  , or combine them so the sprit allows you to change directions .

As they are going to expirement even more in the current game , like the Fractal's Grapling Hook ?

The wall walking feature of Blade and Soul was really cool, but the only reason it worked in the context of that game was because it was set in a martial-arts based fantasy world, which took some inspiration from things like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The House of Flying Daggers, among other fantasy martial arts films. I don't think it would translate well to games like GW2 because of the mount system. If ArenaNet is to take inspiration from other games for their future projects, I hope Blade and Soul is one of the games they get ideas from in terms of gameplay mechanics. The i-frame system alone is worth looking into.

And just so you know, GW3 hasn't been confirmed. Whatever ArenaNet is working on, it's still in the distant future and not really worth discussing this early on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

And just so you know, GW3 hasn't been confirmed. Whatever ArenaNet is working on, it's still in the distant future and not really worth discussing this early on.

But this a thread deticated to GW3 right ?

About our worries , or hopes ?

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ryuk.6840 said:

But this a thread deticated to GW3 right ?

About our worries , or hopes ?

Yes, but all your worries/hopes will be for naught if it turns out that GW3 never comes to light, which is possible. If it is ever confirmed, then and only then would it be a good time to discuss such things. Talking about it now, with nothing confirmed, would either cause unnecessary worry or falsely get people's hopes up.

This entire thread started because of a statement made under duress by someone who was worried about losing his job. Consider, that since that statement was made, there were no other statements by either NCSoft or ArenaNet to confirm or deny a GW3. It is possible that the statement was the very first real thought of a GW3 and is only just now being talked about internally. This is all speculation, of course.

The only thing that has been confirmed is that some GW2 assets have been ported to Unreal Engine, there is an unannounced project in the works involving Unreal Engine, and a significant portion of ArenaNet developers are working on the project. That's basically it. Some people think it's GW3, some think it's GW2 being ported to Unreal Engine, some think it's a new standalone game based off the Guild Wars franchise. There are multiple ways this could go, so until we get confirmation it is best to sit back and wait for more information. Right now there isn't enough to go off of to speculate a sequel, a spinoff, or a 'remaster' definitively.

Speculation can be fun, but it is best when it is because of something that has been confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1