Commander Tag Suggestion

6 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

And here I thought you were gonna suggest a new DOG TAG, why do we have cat tags, but no dog tags?

Petition for a dog tag design!!! 🐶 > 🐱

Cactus tag! 🌵

Poop tag! 💩

The dog tag will be too similar to the cat tag. Choose something that looks unique.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Cirth.1543 said:

For other's comments saying the tag is worth it due to people flocking to you the lfg system and so on.  I don't use the lfg system if I'm doing a meta, personally I feel like not a lot of people use it unless it's for raids or dungeons and maybe wvw.  Plus people flock to those with the mentor tag as well since people figured that person might be doing x, y, and z.  On top of that I believe not a lot of people join up on the tagged person in a squad/group. 

Your experiences are certainly different than others here.

In PvE, LFG gets used for most Meta events, Daily and Weekly tasks, Festivals and just asking for help doing content.  Ignoring the Comm tag, using LFG is a great tool that connects a lot of people to events.  Even having people provide Taxi service to an active meta via LFG is an awesome reason to use it.  LFG can and should be improved, but as it is, it is doing good work.

Also, having the Comm tag is definitely a juiced up Mentor tag.  Being able to find 50 of your closest strangers to come and do the content I want to do?  I don't mean to talk down to anyone but, a lot of players just want to follow someone else's lead.  I know I do half the time I play.  But that is the thing in PvE, most events and metas aren't difficult, most people know what to do so you just gather them up and let them go do it.

As for OP and the idea that 300g is too much and sharing the Comm tag should be okay.  I don't care much for the idea.  300g is not insignificant, but it is easily attainable by a player who is invested in this game.  I bet most people could clear out their bank mats storage and be well on their way to owning a Comm tag.

Thinking about when I got my Comm tag 8 years ago, it was a bit of a right of passage.  Earning the money, trekking thru WvW lands to find that Cat.... I really enjoyed being able to lead Metas and Events after earning the Tag.  It was one of the few times in the game where I felt like I had leveled up.  Grinding levels, HP and MP was kinda whatever, but earning the Comm tag was a game changer.  Maybe it isn't the same game changer today, but I haven't seen anything compelling as to why to reduce the cost or share it with others.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

-wall of text-

Thanks for the list. Didn't know metas actually pay off.

6 hour meta train is quite a challenge. ^^
Man I remember how Grothmar Valley used to pay off well because of the keys.
Miss Drizzlewood in that list. Thought that's the money meta still.

How about silver wastes? Hows that per hour?

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 2

On 9/22/2024 at 1:09 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

50? You and everyone else probably and then maps would be covered in tags with no one knowing who is leading what or even if some tags are leading anything at all.

it has happened before. The Gunnar's Hold Hivemind was as unstoppable wave of destruction. 

Focusing the tag enrages players. When everybody is a tag, rage becomes monumental. 

8 hours ago, Tula.6021 said:

So, you people who say 300 gold is nothing (for me it's a lot). Send me the gold and then it will show who is just words or actions.

Except that's not wht I said so maybe stop with awful strawman attempts because you're unable to respond to what you're quoting in order to get what you want now/cheaper. Why is this thing done on this forum so often, this is so stupid.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4

@Cirth.1543 You've just proven my point. As soon as you decided you wanted that 300g, you spent a little bit of time each day and had more than enough gold for it after less than two weeks.

And you've proven another point, which is that it has varying value, based on a person's playstyle. This is true of nearly every item in the game. For players who have no interest in managing squads, of course it's not useful. For a player who wants to use lfg and manage big squads, of course it's worth the cost.

It seems like the tag is just not really relevant to the sort of playstyles you enjoy, but that doesn't mean it's overpriced or has no value.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I think it is way overprized.

It should have zero costs.

To me it is a management tool to the game. Behind a pay wall.

And there will always be different opinions. Take it as that.

And I think it's not overpriced, especially in the current state of the game 300g isn't hard to get at all.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And I think it's not overpriced, especially in the current state of the game 300g isn't hard to get at all.

Why are you discussing? Can't you let someone else have  a different opinion and just accept that?

Is your opinion of higher value than any other who doesn't share it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Why are you discussing? Can't you let someone else have  a different opinion and just accept that?

Why is it ok for you to quote someone saying "it's not overpriced" and respond with "it's overpriced", but me quoting you and responding with "it's not overpriced especially in the current state of the game" is somehow... "not letting you have a different opinion"? You're quoting other people and disagreeing with them and it's perfectly fine, but I'm "not letting you have your opinion" because I disagree with what you said the same way you disagreed with someone else?

Seriously, what even is this take you came up with now 🙄 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

3 hours after you declaring it shouldn't cost anything. Is your opinion of higher value?

Also, to quote you:

6 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

And there will always be different opinions. Take it as that.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2024 at 9:58 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

The Gem route:

300 gold currently cost 1,000 gems. 1,000 gems are the equivalent of 12,50 Euro/dollar. The value here will range between this being less than 1 Pizza and being a substantial amount in some countries with very week currencies.

Actually this is wrong by a lot. Right now I'm looking at the price of Gems at it's lowest cost point during the day (actually at night) and it's above 400g closing in on 450g.

On 9/23/2024 at 6:09 PM, Mithral.8516 said:

@Cirth.1543 You've just proven my point. As soon as you decided you wanted that 300g, you spent a little bit of time each day and had more than enough gold for it after less than two weeks.

And you've proven another point, which is that it has varying value, based on a person's playstyle. This is true of nearly every item in the game. For players who have no interest in managing squads, of course it's not useful. For a player who wants to use lfg and manage big squads, of course it's worth the cost.

It seems like the tag is just not really relevant to the sort of playstyles you enjoy, but that doesn't mean it's overpriced or has no value.

Actually I didn't prove your point because I didn't buy the commander tag because I have deemed it not worth the time or gold to buy it hence why I said I spent my time getting the gold to buy gems.  
Again I didn't really prove your point, one thing I know about gw2 compared to gw1 since you're able to join multiple guilds I bet mostly everyone that plays this game somewhat religiously has at least 1 really big guild they have joined to do metas, wvw, raids, and so on.  Why would you buy one when most likely a good handful in the guild has it.  For instance, I have noticed a few guilds promoting that their guild does metas on the daily basis.  No reason to buy if you know someone else has it and can easily join them.  
If anything, I would say to anyone you try and say they're wrong about the commander's tag should just join a large guild and save their gold.  To be honest I would also recommend getting another monitor put up the wiki's event timer and go to metas at least 10mins before popping, I did that for my last 150g that I needed for buying the number of gems I wanted. About half didn't have a commander and it worked out well. 

Plus I never did say it's overpriced or has no value. You can say a Bugatti, Rolls-Royce or a Lamborghini are expensive cars, we could even go with houses 2 story 6 beds 3 bath so on house is expensive does that mean it's overpriced no because you would have to compare that to other cars or houses of the same type if it shows its more but both have the same packaged deal then yea overpriced.  Does it have no value never said it but I'll say I somewhat implied it by comparing it to the mentor tag which is free.

For those of you that say it's not expensive, I'd like know what is expensive to you in game.  But since I went there for you @Mithral.8516 since you pretty much stated just use some elbow grease and Bob's your uncle, you'll get the gold you need to buy X item in no time. Let's look at the Permanent stuff on the Trading post bank access 7k to 10k gold, hair stylist 3.2k to 4.9k gold, crafting station 7.2k to 10k gold, black lion merchant 1.2k to 2k gold, the last one 3.5k to 5k gold.  I'm hoping you have each and every one of those then because like you said just use some elbow grease and you'll get there, any excuse saying too expensive, or you don't have the time or energy to farm for that is not a good enough excuse.  Just use your tag you're so proud of and use it to its fullest extent. If you already have all of them then I hope you have or just about every dye, wardrobe, novelty, miniature, finishers and maybe some or most mount skins, outfits, glider skins, skiffs and jade bot skins since you can do a gold to gem exchange.  

Now this goes for others as well if you go kitten that's going a bit too far or comparing apples to oranges, is it though?  Since 300g is nothing, my guess is 900g to 1.2k gold should be starting to nag at you a little bit.  Now I went and saved up roughly 700g took me about 2 weeks and a day give or take, the commander tag plus the cat tag costs 450g for both (not going to mention the honor badges since I already have almost 2k from the first year of gw2).  I had enough to get both commander and cat tags with some left-over change, guess what I still deem the commander tag too expensive why because it's not useful to me. Its price isn't worth my time and energy I'd have to put into it to get the amount of gold, I rather like I did buy something that I deem more worth my time and energy. 

Now going back and reading through some replies I'd like to add on to the OP lets have it where for those that bought the commander's tag can't turn it off or even go with let's have just the mentor tag or both you can't turn off.  We could even go with if you bought the commander tag as well the cat tag, you're able to toggle both commander and mentor tags on and off.  That right there would make me deem it not expensive because I wouldn't want to be a walking mark on the map every time I log on.

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, Cirth.1543 said:

Actually this is wrong by a lot. Right now I'm looking at the price of Gems at it's lowest cost point during the day (actually at night) and it's above 400g closing in on 450g.

Actually, you are wrong, because you are looking at the gold to gem conversion. I was talking about gem to gold, which is on the LEFT side and is relevant when talking about buying gems with money and then converting those to gold.

Right now, in game, in order to get 300 gold one would need 1,040 gems (up 40 gems from last time I checked), which is the equivalent of 13 Euro/dollar (up 50 cents) from last time I checked.

15 hours ago, Cirth.1543 said:

Now I went and saved up roughly 700g took me about 2 weeks and a day give or take, the commander tag plus the cat tag costs 450g for both (not going to mention the honor badges since I already have almost 2k from the first year of gw2).  I had enough to get both commander and cat tags with some left-over change, guess what I still deem the commander tag too expensive why because it's not useful to me. Its price isn't worth my time and energy I'd have to put into it to get the amount of gold, I rather like I did buy something that I deem more worth my time and energy.

No, they do not.

- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catmander's_Compendium

It's 300g no matter if you buy the regular tag first or not. The buying  the catmander automatically unlocks the base tag.

(EDIT: I was corrected on this by Linken and have to apologize here to Cirth. I will not edit away any of my comment besides putting in this correction as to not make it seem I am covering mistakes.)

I'm sorry, but you are making basic mistakes here. Using the incorrect gem-gold exchange rate, failing basic research about the cost of the item/service in question. If you are struggling with gold, you might start with being a bit more careful with your research and methodology of approaching your spending.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

We can make each person "Apple" evolve into Commander Tag  in areas that have low traction .

Or the Commander Tag option is enabled to be chosen  , when the system checks there are few people (subtracting "some")

Spoiler

(In order to foil the plans of some , that because the majority don't do that content , they believe they own it like their personal piniata , and that item can be sold hih in the TP :P)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Cirth.1543 said:

had enough to get both commander and cat tags with some left-over change, guess what I still deem the commander tag too expensive why because it's not useful to me

Like I said, the commander tag does not have value to you because you are not interested in using it. And you've gone from saying it's too pricey to saying the price of a tag is just leftover change to you. You're doing a really good job of arguing against yourself.

And I don't think anyone needs me to point out how ridiculous your comparison of 300 gold to 10k-25k gold is. Yes any of those could be gained with time and effort. The difference between the time to get 300g and the time to get the 25k gold for all of the items you listed is clearly pretty different. 

Take a breath buddy, me enjoying the commander tag and finding use in it doesn't make you wrong for not wanting to use it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cirth.1543 said:

For those of you that say it's not expensive, I'd like know what is expensive to you in game.  But since I went there for you @Mithral.8516 since you pretty much stated just use some elbow grease and Bob's your uncle, you'll get the gold you need to buy X item in no time. Let's look at the Permanent stuff on the Trading post bank access 7k to 10k gold, hair stylist 3.2k to 4.9k gold, crafting station 7.2k to 10k gold, black lion merchant 1.2k to 2k gold, the last one 3.5k to 5k gold.  I'm hoping you have each and every one of those then because like you said just use some elbow grease and you'll get there, any excuse saying too expensive, or you don't have the time or energy to farm for that is not a good enough excuse.  Just use your tag you're so proud of and use it to its fullest extent. If you already have all of them then I hope you have or just about every dye, wardrobe, novelty, miniature, finishers and maybe some or most mount skins, outfits, glider skins, skiffs and jade bot skins since you can do a gold to gem exchange.  

If you want to argue that something is expensive, listing random items from the market that are valued at 10 times+ the price is not a good strategy. Looking at prices of those items that are actually not of much use for me personally, compared to the tag, maybe it's time to increase the tag price and get some gold sink going.

I know your intention was somewhere else but I don't think it landed. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Snip

No, they do not.

- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catmander's_Compendium

It's 300g no matter if you buy the regular tag first or not. The buying  the catmander automatically unlocks the base tag.

I'm sorry, but you are making basic mistakes here. Using the incorrect gem-gold exchange rate, failing basic research about the cost of the item/service in question. If you are struggling with gold, you might start with being a bit more careful with your research and methodology of approaching your spending.

You are not right on this mate they are.

The catmander or commander tag each cost 300 for a single unlock.

If you want to buy both, the second one you buy cost 150.

The cat tag do not unlock the normal tag source myself, my friend got normal tag I got cat one and it goes invisible if we trade it bettwen eachother.

He have to manualy switch it to the normal tag after I give it to him for it to show and vice versa.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You are not right on this mate they are.

The catmander or commander tag each cost 300 for a single unlock.

If you want to buy both, the second one you buy cost 150.

The cat tag do not unlock the normal tag source myself, my friend got normal tag I got cat one and it goes invisible if we trade it bettwen eachother.

He have to manualy switch it to the normal tag after I give it to him for it to show and vice versa.

Just checked, yes I seem to have missed that then. I stand corrected.

I was sure that the catmander unlocks the base tag, which it does not.

So yes, it's 450 gold total now for both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Just checked, yes I seem to have missed that then. I stand corrected.

I was sure that the catmander unlocks the base tag, which it does not.

So yes, it's 450 gold total now for both.

Still I dont understand why the other guy bring up the combined price it have nothing to do with this thread.

• Like 1

its 300g, thats not a lot. really its not. I know, I used to think it was, but even a really modest and efficient use of your time will net you that in short order, esp with wizard vault pretty much throwing gold at you now.

Also, its the best 300g I've spent in game. It really is probably the most game changing purchase you can make, being able to throw up a commander tag.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2024 at 7:47 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

Thanks for the list. Didn't know metas actually pay off.

6 hour meta train is quite a challenge. ^^
Man I remember how Grothmar Valley used to pay off well because of the keys.
Miss Drizzlewood in that list. Thought that's the money meta still.

How about silver wastes? Hows that per hour?

You think a tag is overpriced and you would prefer it to be a single track and be done with it.

To do what? Lead people through meta events and encounters you don't know about?

How and why would you lead a Silver Wastes meta if you don't know what makes the meta profitable? Can you organize and lead a Gyala Delve meta?

I would argue that the tag should be more than 500g and to have a meta achievement requirement tied to it.

At least people would acquire knowledge of encounters and metas that way, trying to complete the meta achievement and put aside a considerable amount so that they could lead people at those events later on when they had the tag.

Edited by gousgou.5438
  • Like 1