A lot of the heavy armour gear really looks terrible

Rennie.6750

I know it may be a matter of opinion, but a lot of the heavy armour gear clearly doesn't look like it received the same amount of work and refinement than most light/medium gear parts. There's a general lack of details and most look bulky and dull. There are a few that look okay, but that's really 1-2 armour sets at most, and they're definitely not new. I've taken a look at all of the heavy armour pieces I could and it's just nope, really can't wear that. PvP/WvW ones are among the worst offender if I compare them to the light and medium ones.

I know some of you will tell me to look at the gem store but why should I when light and medium armour get a much better treatment than heavy?

Asian/anime only? Hardly. There is plenty of European-inspired classic "knight's armour" out there. The Phalanx skin on the Gemstore gets my seal of approval, for example (minus the helmet, but I never show helmet anyway).

The thing is that there is also a great degree of variation in quality of armours of all weights. How many boring, dull and poorly-texture medium trenchoats are there out there? How man boring, dull and poorly-textured "mage robes" light armour is out there? Tons in both cases.

Honestly, like with most armour of any weight, the best-looking ones are the Cultural sets crafted specifically for your character's model.

I've yet to find a set I love more than the T1 Doylak set for my Norn Warrior. Toss on the Houndskin Mantle + full Dolyak and you'll be the coolest-looking viking at the party!

@Oglaf.1074 said:Honestly, like with most armour of any weight, the best-looking ones are the Cultural sets crafted specifically for your character's model.

I've yet to find a set I love more than the T1 Doylak set for my Norn Warrior. Toss on the Houndskin Mantle + full Dolyak and you'll be the coolest-looking viking at the party!

I'm fine with the idea of themes, just not the execution. Also my character is a sylvari so the cultural armor looks really bad. The issue with heavy armour sets is either the complete lack of ornament or it's just random horns + spikes + random pieces of metal all over the place.

I don't like every single light or medium armour but at least they all make sense and I can see at least some people liking them.

Not a fan of most of the armor in this game either. I was especially sad when i saw the bladed armor set in VB. It was sooooo close to being really cool ... then they went crazy with adding the blades everywhere. I feel like most armor sets are like that now. A good concept and base design, and then there is an explosion of some gimmick all over the top of it that turns me off.

@Shaaba.5672 said:Not a fan of most of the armor in this game either. I was especially sad when i saw the bladed armor set in VB. It was sooooo close to being really cool ... then they went crazy with adding the blades everywhere. I feel like most armor sets are like that now. A good concept and base design, and then there is an explosion of some gimmick all over the top of it that turns me off.

That was my experience too. "oh, it may look nice". Looks closer, "no, that's facepalm worthy".

While I agree with how bad armor in this game look (not only heavy but include medium) but they hardly look like anime/asian... and most of them suffer from over design some how , other than mistward set and heavy perfect envoy (fight mode) none other armor appearl to me at all.. :(

funny this game have anything I want in MMO except the good looking armor.

One of the things that really annoys me from how armors are constructed in GW2 is that light and heavy armor always have the 'skirt' of the armor attached, and medium armor always the 'coattail'.

Because of how things work, most armors, specially heavy ones, look just plain horrible when you try to mix different torsos and legs. They will almost always just look off because the part around your legs below the waist has been clearly cut off from a torso and it's hanging there mismatched.

If the parts of the model around the legs below the waist were a separate piece of the construction of the model, or had alternate variants (like how boots and gloves have alternate versions without the parts that would clip with thick leggings and sleeves), then we could have in the torso and leg slots a checkbox to choose wether we want the 'skirt' from the chest armor, the one from the leg armor. Or when there's pants under the skirt, uncheck both and get only the pants under the skirt.

This way we could, for instance, wear the Chain armor with the skirt of the Chain armor, but the pants of the Splint armor, thus replacing the leather pants of chain armor with the chain pants of the splint armor.

Or wear the whole coat from the male version of the Researcher, Aristrocats and Light Heritage armors with different pants, without splitting the coat and losing the coattail.

Or cut off the coattail from a medium armor, getting just a short jacket or vest instead. Or combine the few cases of more skirt-like medium armors that go with the torso with other upper parts, like using the lower part of the Leather armor or Vigil's Honor armor as skirts to combine with other armors.

I think all of the armor in this game needs a ton of help. All cloth armor skirts, all leather armor is trench coats, and all heavy armor is bulky with spikes. There is very little variety of different styles and taste. GW1 was limited in armor too, but the difference is the ones there were had variety in styles across both men and women styles. Shoot if they would just bring all the GW1 skins into GW2 we'd have a better selection than we got now.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@Purgatori.3645 said:I like heavy armor for male toons, but for females heavy armor is TERRIBLE!

I disagree. There are some armors that looks really good on female (human/norn/sylvari).i have only problems with shoes. a lot of them look terrible.

The only armor I found that looks good on a Sylvari is their cultural armor :3 That or TA dungeon armor.

@Shaaba.5672 said:Not a fan of most of the armor in this game either. I was especially sad when i saw the bladed armor set in VB. It was sooooo close to being really cool ... then they went crazy with adding the blades everywhere. I feel like most armor sets are like that now. A good concept and base design, and then there is an explosion of some gimmick all over the top of it that turns me off.

Well said, ironically, Blade heavy armor is perfect if all the "blades" are removed.

I'm sure there are a few sets or individual pieces that you like, and that's really all that matters. In the end you'll wear the pieces you like the most, so every piece doesn't need to align with your personal taste of aesthetics.

I think medium has the most pieces that I like, but there are some really good heavy sets. I particularly like the Kodan, Carapace, Grasping Dead, Braham's set, and Mistward; to name a few. My biggest problem with armor in this game is scaling when it comes to character proportions. Male Sylvari are a pretty bad offender of this, the hands, feet, and shoulder pieces of some sets are oversized for the body when you have an even remotely athletic body build.

Archived