So I guess a launch discount for the horribly overpriced mount skins is no more?

Oglaf.1074

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:The premium skins have all been 2k gems. It was just the holiday four-packs that were 1600 on their initial sale.

Nuh-uh. The recent demonic skin was discounted at launch.

Ahh, I forgot about that one. Yes, that one was 1600 for some reason. But all the other single mounts have been 2k. Maybe that one was 1600 because it was for (arguably) the least used mount?

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but are you referring to the Halloween set when you say "demonic?" Those were also a holiday pack. The only other skins I know of have been the individual 2K/1.6K (discount) skins and the large RNG packs. Perhaps I'm misreading your meaning, though.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:The premium skins have all been 2k gems. It was just the holiday four-packs that were 1600 on their initial sale.

Nuh-uh. The recent demonic skin was discounted at launch.

Ahh, I forgot about that one. Yes, that one was 1600 for some reason. But all the other single mounts have been 2k. Maybe that one was 1600 because it was for (arguably) the least used mount?

I'm pretty sure it was 1600 because the skimmer is the least popular as well as least-used mount.( @Elothar.4382 they mean that Umbral Skimmer thingy.)

@"Elothar.4382" said:Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but are you referring to the Halloween set when you say "demonic?" Those were also a holiday pack. The only other skins I know of have been the individual 2K/1.6K (discount) skins and the large RNG packs. Perhaps I'm misreading your meaning, though.

This one. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Umbral_Demon_Skimmer_Skin

I guess the paltry discount wasn't convincing enough (why should it be) so instead of discounting it further to increase the sales, they decided to double down. I mean at least they'll get 400 gems more per each of the miserable number of sales they've had.The entire strategy is completely shut off from reality:It's overpriced (i guess they're still banking on the 2000 gem price pushing people towards the RNG mounts and thus earning more than they would, otherwise?)It's too frequent. I mean one new mount every month? Do they really believe there's that many people playing that can shill out 30€ every month for GW2? Even at 1000 gems, there's probably a vast majority that wouldn't buy them all because it's just too frequent.They killed the hype for the mounts with each release. It's so obviously getting a poor reception that it's sad to see them keep on pushing this, just hoping it blows away and this crap becomes the "new normal".The gemstore is also slowly edging a bit too close to pay to win, especially with the new garden plots offering free dye unlocks and stuff.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@"Elothar.4382" said:Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but are you referring to the Halloween set when you say "demonic?" Those were also a holiday pack. The only other skins I know of have been the individual 2K/1.6K (discount) skins and the large RNG packs. Perhaps I'm misreading your meaning, though.

This one.

Sorry, I was actually responding to Oglaf. Yeah, I agree with your take on it.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:I guess the paltry discount wasn't convincing enough (why should it be) so instead of discounting it further to increase the sales, they decided to double down. I mean at least they'll get 400 gems more per each of the miserable number of sales they've had.The entire strategy is completely shut off from reality:It's overpriced (i guess they're still banking on the 2000 gem price pushing people towards the RNG mounts and thus earning more than they would, otherwise?)It's too frequent. I mean one new mount every month? Do they really believe there's that many people playing that can shill out 30€ every month for GW2? Even at 1000 gems, there's probably a vast majority that wouldn't buy them all because it's just too frequent.They killed the hype for the mounts with each release. It's so obviously getting a poor reception that it's sad to see them keep on pushing this, just hoping it blows away and this crap becomes the "new normal".The gemstore is also slowly edging a bit too close to pay to win, especially with the new garden plots offering free dye unlocks and stuff.

This is what I'm guessing, too. They didn't see enough gain by dropping it from 2000 to 1600, so instead of realizing this was because it was still horribly overpriced and needed to come down further, they just raised it back up to 2000. Laughable. All they're going to do is drive players from the game. Although, it honestly might be too late at this point. They've basically driven all but the most dedicated players away already, so maybe it is in their best interest to overcharge for their crap.

@Scarlett.1605 said:I like the new springer skin, the goatzelle look is pretty unique I think.

Yeah, I like it too, but it isn't worth $25. And trying to get away with charging that much, especially when they're doing it regularly for new skins that can't even be exclusively used because of the design of the mount system, is going to drive a lot of people out instead of incentivizing them to continue.

It really couldn't be any clearer that Anet doesn't really know what they're doing.

@Oglaf.1074 said:2k Gems for the new Springer skin.

Granted, I wasn't going to buy them at 1.6k either, but y'know...

yup they never learned the lesion yet and do not think they will . i like the skins too but not going to hand out $25.00 usd for one skin only . now if these skins was a 100 gems . then i would buy them any thing more than that well not happen unless i get the gold to gems and get them that way .

It's an excellent skin, but at 2000 gems, I'm not touching it. This means buying 2400 at £30 to get it and I'm not paying nearly the same price for the expansion for one skin for a relatively niche mount.

I'd potentially use gold - gems if it was a permanent addition to the store, but it'll be gone no doubt in a couple of weeks, so that rules that out for me.

Kudos to the designers who worked on it, but it's very much overpriced

@Randulf.7614 said:It's an excellent skin, but at 2000 gems, I'm not touching it. This means buying 2400 at £30 to get it and I'm not paying nearly the same price for the expansion for one skin for a relatively niche mount.

I'd potentially use gold - gems if it was a permanent addition to the store, but it'll be gone no doubt in a couple of weeks, so that rules that out for me.

I just paid 1800 gems to change servers.. spare me its too much for the skin..

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's an excellent skin, but at 2000 gems, I'm not touching it. This means buying 2400 at £30 to get it and I'm not paying nearly the same price for the expansion for one skin for a relatively niche mount.

I just paid 1800 gems to change servers.. spare me its too much for the skin..

OK, but it's still too much for the skin ;)

Mountfit prices since their introduction:
  • Spooky Halloween 5-pack: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Mount Adoption License, aka Random Selection out of 30: 400 for one, 10 for 3400, 30 for 9800.
  • Reforged Warhound: 2000 gems
  • Resplendent Avialan: 2000 gems
  • Cozy Wintersday 5-pack: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Umbral Demon Skimmer: 1600 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Summit Chevon Springer Skin: 2000 gems (no introductory discount)

(Did I miss any? Make a mistake in price? I'll update the list accordingly.)

edit: per @Randulf.7614 the original pricing on the Mountfit Festival Packs was 1600. In both case, this was listed as a 20% discount. Plus only the Umbral Demon Mountfit was discounted to 1600, among the singletons.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Scarlett.1605 said:I like the new springer skin, the goatzelle look is pretty unique I think.

Yeah, I like it too, but it isn't worth $25. And trying to get away with charging that much, especially when they're doing it regularly for new skins that can't even be exclusively used because of the design of the mount system, is going to drive a lot of people out instead of incentivizing them to continue.

It really couldn't be any clearer that Anet doesn't really know what they're doing.

On the contrary, Mike O'Brien explained exactly why they have priced Mountfits at 1600-2000 gems each: they generate more cash flow by offering premium items at premium prices than they do by offering a higher number of more affordable options. The prices are too rich for my blood (and, as I've said elsewhere, they did a poor job of setting our expectations about the new prices), but then again, you & I aren't the intended audience for these offers.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

• Spooky Halloween 5-pack: 2000 gems
  • Mount Adoption License, aka Random Selection out of 30: 400 for one, 10 for 3400, 30 for 9800.
  • Reforged Warhound: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Resplendent Avialan: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Cozy Wintersday 5-pack: 2000 gems
  • Umbral Demon Skimmer: 1600 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)

The Halloween and Wintersday were both 1600 gems. Warhound was also 2000 gems not discounted to1600 afaik

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
  • Spooky Halloween 5-pack: 2000 gems
  • Reforged Warhound: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Resplendent Avialan: 2000 gems (discounted to 1600 introductory price)
  • Cozy Wintersday 5-pack: 2000 gems
  • Umbral Demon Skimmer: 1600 gems (
    )

The Halloween and Wintersday were both 1600 gems

Ah right, they are 2000 gems, but both were discounted to 1600. I'll fix it. Thank you.

Archived