To use or not to use Level 80 Boost...

Moyayuki.3619

I regret what I used both my boosts for ?.I used one on a guard, which I am learning to use, so that isn't too bad.

And one on a Warrior which I deleted a few weeks later...because omg warriors are not fun to play.

I don't like that the boost doesn't include all weapons useable by that class..i mean really, would that have been so bad to add? The stats aren't great anyway.

I do suggest using them. ..It's not like it's hard to level, if you'd decide the class isn't really for you.What I would suggest tho is use them for a class you already know you like to play, but gear it differently. Characters can essentially be used as build templates. And I kind of wish I did this instead.

I used mine to make my first revenant. Once that was done I immediately made a second one which I levelled to 80, and didn't touch the lvl 80 boosted one at all until my other toons all maxed out. Basically, I didn't use it for anything worthwhile.If I were you, I'd just hold onto it until you find yourself wanting another toon that you might regret not being able to insta-level.

• 1 month later...

I first played in closed beta through to a few months after release, then left for a long break. Been back a couple of times since, for short periods, now back again after another very long break. Highest lv char is 52 mesmer, but I've tried them all. I have one lv 80 boost and want to know if I can use that, but still go back to where I was on the map before boost and continue playing from that point? I won't be stuck in end-game territory? I've played mmo's for years now and prefer the journey to end-game, but do get easily bored, so thought it might be good to have the skills/armour/glider/mount etc as a lv 80, but still play through.

Thanks for any advice you can give x

@Yvallia.2583 said:I first played in closed beta through to a few months after release, then left for a long break. Been back a couple of times since, for short periods, now back again after another very long break. Highest lv char is 52 mesmer, but I've tried them all. I have one lv 80 boost and want to know if I can use that, but still go back to where I was on the map before boost and continue playing from that point? I won't be stuck in end-game territory? I've played mmo's for years now and prefer the journey to end-game, but do get easily bored, so thought it might be good to have the skills/armour/glider/mount etc as a lv 80, but still play through.

You won't miss or be locked out of anything. Your story will still be at the point it was before and you can always go back to lower level maps, even at level 80. When you're on a lower level map you'll be down-scaled to the level of the map, which means you'll do less damage and the enemies will be more dangerous than you might expect, but it also means you're not pointlessly one-shotting everything and you'll get XP and items based on your level (your actual level).

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Yvallia.2583 said:I first played in closed beta through to a few months after release, then left for a long break. Been back a couple of times since, for short periods, now back again after another very long break. Highest lv char is 52 mesmer, but I've tried them all. I have one lv 80 boost and want to know if I can use that, but still go back to where I was on the map before boost and continue playing from that point? I won't be stuck in end-game territory? I've played mmo's for years now and prefer the journey to end-game, but do get easily bored, so thought it might be good to have the skills/armour/glider/mount etc as a lv 80, but still play through.

You won't miss or be locked out of anything. Your story will still be at the point it was before and you can always go back to lower level maps, even at level 80. When you're on a lower level map you'll be down-scaled to the level of the map, which means you'll do less damage and the enemies will be more dangerous than you might expect, but it also means you're not pointlessly one-shotting everything and you'll get XP and items based on your level (your actual level).

Thank you Danikat. That's what I thought would happen but just wanted to be sure. I can't see any disadvantage for me to use the boost in that case.

• 4 weeks later...

try it out the boost in SW, then decide which one you want it. then level it seem more enjoyable. or if you have like 20/30/40lvl booster, you can used it to level faster. I try out my lvl80 boost. I find I don't enjoy the class more when I can access all the skills etc versus earn it by leveling it.

Are you in a hurry for an extra shared inventory slot ( maybe copper or silver salvage omatic )?

If you have some times to spare, hit lvl 2 with a new character and try it into spvp ( you will have everything unlocked, from traits to skills ), even if only on golems or bots would be ok to try out what the new class could be.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:If you're still at the point at which you are enjoying the 1-80 leveling progression, go with that. Finding leveling enjoyable may not last indefinitely.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I used to find leveling the most fun part in MMOs while grinding/farming would nearly instantly rob my motivation. That's kind ironic as when I level character up I - obviously - grind through levels and also replay most maps etc. Anyways, but nowadays I managed to level a good part of my GW2 characters normally, but still used the two 80 boosts as I didn't feel like going all the way from 1-80 (or from the point of the level scrolls to 80) anymore.

• 8 months later...

@Chickenooble.5014 said:When you use a Level 80 boost you're taken to The Silverwastes with decent gear and a Level 80 character. Play around there and decide if you like the character and find the Level 80 experience worthwhile. Once you get a feel for the class, do one of the following:

1. You love the character! Keep the character boost and enjoy your open shared inventory slot!
  2. You love the character but want to level it up so you learn how to play it! Refuse the character boost and level your character. You can use the boost on another character to see how they play at Level 80 in PvE content.
  3. You hate the character. Refuse the boost and delete the character. Use it on someone else.
  4. You hate everything. Just use the boost on something and keep hating everything.
  5. You have a Level 80 character you like but it doesn't have Exotics... and because you make terrible financial decisions you don't want to pay for exotics. Use the boost on that character to get a full set of Exotics.

I know im late here, But this post made me die laughing (Was using it to show a friend what using an 80 boost is like)

Use it on a class you don't like to play now to free up the shared-inv-place for a cooper-item-shredder ;)

Dont worry about lvling in GW2 it’s fast anyway and rather sooner than later you swim in useless lvl up scrolls

The lvl up phase for a class is best seen as a tutorial for a class, you get one skill after the other to get familiar with it. It depends on your preferred learning style if you like to do or skip tutorials :)

use level 80 boost on a guardian. keep every equipment that the boost gave you/don't change equipment (retain all the runes and sigils). mod your traits and skills appropriately and you can kill the WvW Grub on the Blue Keep solo (without glitching or making the Grub idle aka The Grub defensively fighting you) [on that boosted vanilla guardian].

;)

@"Zaltys.7649" said:Some of the level up bonuses are interesting, and I think I'm still missing some unlocks. So I don't want to just skip those.

You are not skipping them! Using the boost gives you all the level-up rewards from your current level to 80, if I remember correctly.

Edit: I was wrong: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_BoostQuote: "Boosting a character to level 80 in this way does not reward any level rewards (with the exception of stats and unlocks)."

Archived