WvW - What Makes a Great Commander?

Hidden Blade.7913

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@aspirine.6852 said:Never quit when you get beat, even if you get beat all the time just go for it again and again. If you leave after you got beaten the rest will have an even harder time. It's not always fun, but go for it.

That's only half of it I think. Besides not giving up, the commander has to be able to see what went wrong and fix that mistake. Be humble and acknowledge if it was his own mistake as well. If you keep trying without improving, people will leave the squad. Oh and of course the best tags are those who give the bags as well

@Dawdler.8521 said:Dont forget to stand at least an hour in spawn repeating in teamchat that you wont start unless you get 50 people on you and in ts and also that you only need firebrands and scourges, the rest will be kicked.

Maybe someone will see this and start to understand the real causes of problems in WvW lol!

Doubt it, but I still keep hoping almost six years later...

@atheria.2837 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Dont forget to stand at least an hour in spawn repeating in teamchat that you wont start unless you get 50 people on you and in ts and also that you only need firebrands and scourges, the rest will be kicked.

Maybe someone will see this and start to understand the real causes of problems in WvW lol!

The TS thing is good. Moan the whole time people needed on TS, never say what TS or channel, never give anyone any time to load up TS then de tag because 5 people aren't on TS. Then boast they aren't nice to anyone.Never had a gear check, although i'm sure some do. However I stick to roaming. Only got myself to blame and doesn't need TS.

Communicate! But don't talk down or yell constantly.Communicate with other tags that are running at the same time as you if you can.Let players know what voice comms you're in throughout the rally as players join, in map chat if you want pugs or have someone do it for you.Organize squad parties. Try to have 1 stab in each party. If a particular class/player who needs stab more than others is moved to a non-stab party, inform them beforehand so they can be prepared.Be willing to listen to advice from others, even if it's not great, thank them for their input if you want players to follow you.Don't give up! Maybe change tactics or move to another mapGive players a 2-3 min break to clear their bags, go bio, every 2hrs or so if you tag for that long. Also, don't over do it! Leave when you say you will, don't burn out, look after your health!Discuss with your officers after the rally, how the rally went, what could be improved, etc, without blaming pugs all the time.Remember that in the end, it's just a game, no matter how well or how bad you think you did, there's always room for improvement.Most important, have fun!

@Dami.5046 said:

The TS thing is good. Moan the whole time people needed on TS, never say what TS or channel, never give anyone any time to load up TS then de tag because 5 people aren't on TS. Then boast they aren't nice to anyone.Never had a gear check, although i'm sure some do. However I stick to roaming. Only got myself to blame and doesn't need TS.

TS is a bad thing when many are not 'allowed in' and not for any abuses that have ever been done.

Discord will take over from the massively abused and elitist TS

@atheria.2837 said:

TS is a bad thing when many are not 'allowed in' and not for any abuses that have ever been done.

Wait, who isn't 'allowed in' to teamspeak?Everyone is allowed to use it.

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:

~ Kovu

Nope, the owners of the channel can keep anyone out, even those who have never abused anyone.

Just a fact that harms the game as much as any other ignored mechanic.

@atheria.2837 said:

~ Kovu

Nope, the owners of the channel can keep anyone out, even those who have never abused anyone.

And the 'owners' of a discord channel can keep you out as well. How is discord going to be different?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

~ Kovu

And the 'owners' of a discord channel can keep you out as well. How is discord going to be different?

Moreover, playing favourites is not an issue with the program, it is an issue with the people using it.Not utilizing teamspeak (or discord) does not prevent you from playing the game.I fail to see how this is a net hindrance.

~ Kovu

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

~ Kovu

I am not locked out of any DISCORD - I am locked out of TS.

A very strong reason for GW2 having a channel for voice - no one could control it.

@atheria.2837 said:

~ Kovu

I am not locked out of any DISCORD - I am locked out of TS.

A very strong reason for GW2 having a channel for voice - no one could control it.

Again... the 'owner' (founder of the discord channel) could still opt to keep you out.

The difference is, TS cost someone to open and keep it open. Someone who paid for the right to limit people.

You could have done the same but chose not to.

With discord, you could start your own too.

TS isn't the problem.

Someone didn't want you in for whatever reason. The same possibility exists in discord.

Neither GW1 or GW2 have an in game voice. And quite frankly, for lag reasons, I want that to stay as it is.

Have all legendary weapons but call pvx players casuals. Speak really really really fast. Use lingo like roll empowers, ranged haze, and the classic bomb bomb bomb. Make sure to dress down non meta classes after every hard fight. Yah know, the basics.

Good commander to me is somebody who is chill, entertaining and takes a minute to explain something even if he loses a lootbag or two.

In WvW it's one who doesn't blindly charge in, doesn't give up after wiping once or twice and makes smart decisions (if you died 4 times trying to take a tier 3 keep maybe do something else for the moment etc.)

A lot of it comes down to being clear in voice comms or text too. Not being rude. People who exclude others because "omg you don't play firebrand piss off" are scum.

1: Situational Awareness.2: Effective communication ( Not necessarily "auctioneering" )3: No one likes a whiney drama queen commander. Critiquing is important but no one likes listening to non stop crying / abuse.4: Learning from your/squads mistakes and focus on improving.

1. Playing the right style for the moment (defense / offence / fights / ppt ), There is a time for everything unless you are in a strictly "fights" guild.
  2. Consistency.
  3. An understanding of the current meta.

A good wvw comm usually:

• is very communicative in voice comms and actually reads what people are typing in the squad chat.
  • They have good map awareness and are good at communicating their thought process and how they are going to engage in fights - and will be willing to go through rotations for people.
  • gives participation share to scouts
  • is not scared of fights with larger groups
  • has a good idea of what to call out in fights e.g. lines in front/ cc/ burn / stab / heals
  • also positioning is SUPER important. i've been in fights with comms who don't know how to position against the enemy blob and its irritating.