Suggestion: Fishing in the Game [merged]

@Abakk.9176 said:

@Blude.6812 said:Just a suggestion that the OP might find informative . Search function at the top right. Type in fishing or some variation to be more specific . Lots fishing discussions to review or add to..Not remotely. And I'm sure that if i did you'd have kindly suggested me not to necro. ;)

It really annoys me that i have to re-install WoW just to be able to do some MMORPG-fishing ... i think it's worth a(nother?) thread.

After all... that is what fora are for right?

And if this thread is too much it will be added to another or deleted i would say.

Would never call a necro. Just starting a new discussion on something that has been covered is not worth it, and only recycles what has been over and over again and I believe it has another name actually. If you took the time you would find something interesting in the other threads. Merge would be the best solution.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the threads you read on this forum are about what extra stuff people want added to the game.With a fixed staff resource adding more stuff to the game means something else has to get dropped, so its all about priorities as to what gets added and what doesnt , but most people dont see this and think that adding anything has no effect on anything else, ie nothing has to get dropped.Id far prefer that Anet concentrated on fixing all the bugs in the existing game, before adding more stuff.

@Ashen.2907 said:I would rather have hunting added than fishing.It is the hunting i would like to get away from sometimes. Seems like we are already shooting suff and looting it.@Blude.6812 said:Just starting a new discussion on something that has been covered is not worth it, and only recycles what has been over and over again.That is true for pretty much every topic ever. I wanted to discuss Fishing ... i'm not a librarian.@mauried.5608 said:Fishing is one of the easiest activities to make bots for , as the activity takes place in the one location , ie the player simply stands still and chucks a line into the water.Its also difficult to pick a bot from a genuine player fishing as the actions of both are close to identical.So unless its implemented in some way that requires the player to keep moving from place to place like other resource gathering does it will do more harm than good.I've no problem with moving around while fishing... but people farming stuff on Necro's don't move around either. For them the rule is 'if you get caught AFK you are done for'. The same rule could apply to Fishing.@mauried.5608 said:Most of the threads you read on this forum are about what extra stuff people want added to the game.With a fixed staff resource adding more stuff to the game means something else has to get dropped, so its all about priorities as to what gets added and what doesnt , but most people dont see this and think that adding anything has no effect on anything else, ie nothing has to get dropped.Id far prefer that Anet concentrated on fixing all the bugs in the existing game, before adding more stuff.I'm not really concerned with the Financial problems of my grocer, why would i be concerned about the Finances of the developers of my computergame ?I would think developers are mostly interested in what their customers are looking for to get hooked on (the pun!). It's one of the reasons Fora exist.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I would rather have hunting added than fishing.It is the hunting i would like to get away from sometimes. Seems like we are already shooting suff and looting it.@Blude.6812 said:Just starting a new discussion on something that has been covered is not worth it, and only recycles what has been over and over again.That is true for pretty much every topic ever. I wanted to discuss Fishing ... i'm not a librarian.@mauried.5608 said:Fishing is one of the easiest activities to make bots for , as the activity takes place in the one location , ie the player simply stands still and chucks a line into the water.Its also difficult to pick a bot from a genuine player fishing as the actions of both are close to identical.So unless its implemented in some way that requires the player to keep moving from place to place like other resource gathering does it will do more harm than good.I've no problem with moving around while fishing... but people farming stuff on Necro's don't move around either. For them the rule is 'if you get caught AFK you are done for'. The same rule could apply to Fishing.@mauried.5608 said:Most of the threads you read on this forum are about what extra stuff people want added to the game.With a fixed staff resource adding more stuff to the game means something else has to get dropped, so its all about priorities as to what gets added and what doesnt , but most people dont see this and think that adding anything has no effect on anything else, ie nothing has to get dropped.Id far prefer that Anet concentrated on fixing all the bugs in the existing game, before adding more stuff.I'm not really concerned with the Financial problems of my grocer, why would i be concerned about the Finances of the developers of my computergame ?I would think developers are mostly interested in what their customers are looking for to get hooked on (the pun!). It's one of the reasons Fora exist.

We already have fishing by the same standard if we are considered to already have hunting. Spear fishing, trident fishing, speargun fishing.

@Ashen.2907 said:

We already have fishing by the same standard if we are considered to already have hunting. Spear fishing, trident fishing, speargun fishing.

Killing mobs underwater is not even remotely like fishing with a rod and bait.

While hunting for specific targets, shooting- and looting them is pretty much what i constantly do ingame.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@Abakk.9176 said:Killing mobs underwater is not even remotely like fishing with a rod and bait.

And killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting.

I am quite familiar with both in real life.

Okay, explain.

Unless you're a former vice president Human hunting is illegal and yet we do that in game fairly frequently.So there actually is a substantial difference between murder hobo and game hunting.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Abakk.9176 said:Killing mobs underwater is not even remotely like fishing with a rod and bait.

And killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting.

I am quite familiar with both in real life.

Okay, explain.

Unless you're a former vice president Human hunting is illegal and yet we do that in game fairly frequently.So there actually is a substantial difference between murder hobo and game hunting.

That still doesn't explain how "killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting". How would they introduce 'hunting' in this game and not make it look like what we are already doing... killing mobs (animal, plant and humanoid). And how would that be the same as how fishing with rod and bait relates to shooting underwater mobs....

@"Abakk.9176" said:That still doesn't explain how "killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting". How would they introduce 'hunting' in this game and not make it look like what we are already doing... killing mobs (animal, plant and humanoid). And how would that be the same as how fishing with rod and bait relates to shooting underwater mobs....

You do get that hunting is more than just camp out in a tower and shoot things right ?

Also same logic can be applied to fishing...how is that any different than the QD lobster farming heart ?

@TexZero.7910 said:

@"Abakk.9176" said:That still doesn't explain how "killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting". How would they introduce 'hunting' in this game and not make it look like what we are already doing... killing mobs (animal, plant and humanoid). And how would that be the same as how fishing with rod and bait relates to shooting underwater mobs....

You do get that hunting is more than just camp out in a tower and shoot things right ?I've asked about a bit more explanation about how to implement 'hunting' in GW2 and how it is different from shooting mobs on land or under water ingame.

Instead all i get is vague hints that implement there is something wrong with me for not having some inborn standard understanding of it.

@TexZero.7910 said:Also same logic can be applied to fishing...how is that any different than the QD lobster farming heart ?

I've no idea because i don't know what "QD lobster farming heart" is... probably haven't done it yet or missed it?

All i know is that pole fishing with bobber and bait can be a nice relaxed mini game with a WORLD of difference to shooting/hitting/AOE'ing mobs of all kinds.

I understand it's not for everyone since it requires some patience and depending on how it's designed and implemented maybe even some skill and focus.

So again, how would you implement a 'hunting' skill that is as different to shooting/hitting/AOE'ing mobs of all walks, as pole fishing with bobber and bait is?

I love the idea of fishing in guildwars 2. I think its something that many players want and will enjoy and it will provide a good story telling opportunity. What comes to mind is something like: The open waters of Tyria has always been a dangerous place, more than others. A shadow ever looming beneath the seeming peaceful waters. Always unseen. It has driven the Krait, Quaggen, Karka and even possibly the Largos from there home-waters. So it has always been a taboo to fish in Tyria out of fear of provoking it. Only those daring and most experienced could set their lines in the water bur at their own peril.That said i don't think fishing should be like in other games (other games= cast your line , wait for it to wiggle and click to get your fish)Fishing in gw2 should be dangerous and deadly. What that is? I'm not sure yet.But i imagine it could be something like the wintersday holiday bells mini game. Where you have to press a button to play the note at the right time or else you take damage. In the fishing instead of playing the right note it could be pulling in the right direction or something.Or it could be something like the fishing in breath of fire that was mentioned before.or even like fishing from fantasy life ( 3ds game)

@Dejavu.1409 said:I love the idea of fishing in guildwars 2. I think its something that many players want and will enjoy and it will provide a good story telling opportunity.Agreed, and for starters there are the fishermen in Queensdale that we help out with the Skale and all. The use of rods for fishing seems to be quite a familiar thing already to many NPC's ingame.

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:Why do ppl always yell item shop when it comes to nice features....Whether it's "nice" is purely subjective.With fishing the loot can be items / recipes used for crafting, fishing equipment and fishing rods (starting in low level areas, going up) and occasional other loots like what mobs usually drop.

The one problem I have with fishing is the idea of AFK farming which is tied to it. Just parking your character and being able to gain items through no action/input over time just doesn't seem to fit in with the spirit of GW2. I understand we already have AFK farming with MM necros and rangers in some spots but again I don't believe that is how devs intended the game to be played.If fishing was to be implemented, I would like to see it being fairly interactive, requiring frequent player input like reloading lures/bait every 1-2 mins at least. Alternatively, there could be a mechanic whereby the fishing player is randomly attacked every 5-10 mins and has to "fight" with their "catch" with a chance to be defeated if they fail to win the encounter.

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:If fishing was to be implemented, I would like to see it being fairly interactive, requiring frequent player input like reloading lures/bait every 1-2 mins at least. Alternatively, there could be a mechanic whereby the fishing player is randomly attacked every 5-10 mins and has to "fight" with their "catch" with a chance to be defeated if they fail to win the encounter.Or having to focus on a bobber and activating a 'cast' button to cast and a 'pull' button when the bobber goes under. With a nice miss chance ofc.

A form of Fly Fishing would also be nice where you have a 'cast' - 'pull' - 'reel in' button action and collectible (or craftable) flies for specific type of fish.

Maybe even different types of rod fishing depending on rod-type (light/bobber, middle/fly and heavy-reel) for different bodies of water (light=still inland waters like lakes and ponds, rivers and streams for fly fishing and see/ocean heavy shark fishing, etc...)

I agree that we don't want another AFK abusable system. It could be really movement/skill based.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:If fishing was to be implemented, I would like to see it being fairly interactive, requiring frequent player input like reloading lures/bait every 1-2 mins at least. Alternatively, there could be a mechanic whereby the fishing player is randomly attacked every 5-10 mins and has to "fight" with their "catch" with a chance to be defeated if they fail to win the encounter.Or having to focus on a bobber and activating a 'cast' button to cast and a 'pull' button when the bobber goes under. With a nice miss chance ofc.

A form of Fly Fishing would also be nice where you have a 'cast' - 'pull' - 'reel in' button action and collectible (or craftable) flies for specific type of fish.

Maybe even different types of rod fishing depending on rod-type (light/bobber, middle/fly and heavy-reel) for different bodies of water (light=still inland waters like lakes and ponds, rivers and streams for fly fishing and see/ocean heavy shark fishing, etc...)

I agree that we don't want another AFK abusable system. It could be really movement/skill based.

Woah! let's not make this too complicated! We wouldn't want fishing development to delay the release of
real
content, would we?If we're being honest here, fishing would only have a place as a mini-game, like adventures or races. Whilst I'd be happy to see others enjoy this, I wouldn't want it to be major or something which stifles the improvement and expansion of important aspects like story, maps, balance/traits etc.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@Abakk.9176 said:That still doesn't explain how "killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting". How would they introduce 'hunting' in this game and not make it look like what we are already doing... killing mobs (animal, plant and humanoid). And how would that be the same as how fishing with rod and bait relates to shooting underwater mobs....

You do get that hunting is more than just camp out in a tower and shoot things right ?I've asked about a bit more explanation about how to implement 'hunting' in GW2 and how it is different from shooting mobs on land or under water ingame.

Instead all i get is vague hints that implement there is something wrong with me for not having some inborn standard understanding of it.

@TexZero.7910 said:Also same logic can be applied to fishing...how is that any different than the QD lobster farming heart ?

I've no idea because i don't know what "QD lobster farming heart" is... probably haven't done it yet or missed it?

All i know is that pole fishing with bobber and bait can be a nice relaxed mini game with a WORLD of difference to shooting/hitting/AOE'ing mobs of all kinds.

I understand it's not for everyone since it requires some patience and depending on how it's designed and implemented maybe even some skill and focus.

So again, how would you implement a 'hunting' skill that is as different to shooting/hitting/AOE'ing mobs of all walks, as pole fishing with bobber and bait is?

“QD lobster farming heart.”

I had to stop and think about that one for a bit. QD would be Queensdale. He must mean the heart west of Beetletun where you aggro crabs then wait by a cage. They go in the cage and are trapped.

Personally I don’t think this is like sitting on a bank and fishing with a line so I’m not seeing the relevance. Just because it’s an underwater mob as opposed to a land mob doesn’t make it fishing.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Abakk.9176 said:That still doesn't explain how "killing mobs on dry ground is pretty far off from hunting". How would they introduce 'hunting' in this game and not make it look like what we are already doing... killing mobs (animal, plant and humanoid). And how would that be the same as how fishing with rod and bait relates to shooting underwater mobs....

“QD lobster farming heart.”

I had to stop and think about that one for a bit. QD would be Queensdale. He must mean
where you aggro crabs then wait by a cage. They go in the cage and are trapped.

Personally I don’t think this is like sitting on a bank and fishing with a line so I’m not seeing the relevance. Just because it’s an underwater mob as opposed to a land mob doesn’t make it fishing.

The point was the OP is watering down the merits of hunting, when the same can be said of fishing.It can be as complex a system as the game allows it to be, hunting isn't just see animal go hit it with a stick. Game hunting is about tracking, analyzing and grading your kills based on quantitative things (like points for deer).

To say we already have hunting just because people kill things means, I as a user can say we already have fishing because we can just cage lobsters all day.

Seriously would love to fish in this game! Fishing is my favorite thing ever in MMO's and my hubby's too. He used to do fishing contests in other games all the time. I think one of the first things he looks up when researching a game is "Can you fish in it?" I love fishing. Absolutely love it, and would love it more if it came with an easy mini game so you couldn't AFK fish very easily. Like Stardew Valley's fishing or something similar.

adding fishing to a new xpac would be cool, but it would only be for maps in that new xpac. Doing it for the entire world would be a massive undertaking and i highly doubt anet would do it for old content.

Though don't do it related to an already known profession. Cooking is pointless!Unless the buffs from these receipies are highly sought after and expensive, then fishing would be a necessity for chefs. Thoguh i could see this as a chore, if it became such a rare drop to get particular fishies. It would have to be implemented well & not like scribe at all!

The achieve aspect is good! and even better would be to turn this into another game mode!Fishing/ sea cave indiana jones explorer-fight random, rotating, wandering champ mobs/ lore-archeology/skritt treasure hunter/kind of game mode fun!a fishing-hunter-big game-gatherer, game mode :D

@Pimpology.6234 said:adding fishing to a new xpac would be cool, but it would only be for maps in that new xpac. Doing it for the entire world would be a massive undertaking and i highly doubt anet would do it for old content.No, no... all of Tyria or else it would be pointless. The basics are already in the game. The fishing pole in the crab toss game. It's basically a new weapon with it's own skillset.@Pimpology.6234 said:Though don't do it related to an already known profession. Cooking is pointless!Don't agree... i'd be quite happy to be able to make existing level of food as an alternative... so long as one can choose to level cooking through fishing.@Pimpology.6234 said:Unless the buffs from these receipies are highly sought after and expensive, then fishing would be a necessity for chefs. Thoguh i could see this as a chore, if it became such a rare drop to get particular fishies. It would have to be implemented well & not like scribe at all!Not needed... it's mostly about the fishing and maybe even a few achievements and fun items. It doesn't need to have value for endgame type stuff.@Pimpology.6234 said:The achieve aspect is good! and even better would be to turn this into another game mode!Fishing/ sea cave indiana jones explorer-fight random, rotating, wandering champ mobs/ lore-archeology/skritt treasure hunter/kind of game mode fun!a fishing-hunter-big game-gatherer, game mode :DMeh... i'd already be happy to sit on a quiet river bank listening to the birds, staring at my bobber, anticipating the RNG that will maybe jank my bobber under the surface... or not :)

Archived