Base mount dye options

So I've left GW2 some time ago because of Arenanet's mounts move (base mounts only having 1 dye slot while clearly they could have more of them, just to push us to buy cash mounts). Now the debate around that seems to have stopped, but nothing appears to have changed... Wouldn't it be possible to have a "Tyria mount liscence" in the gem store that would allow us to buy a fully dyable version of each base mount? Like 400 gems per mount, 1600 for all of them? I'd buy that. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it, considering that I like base mounts colour patterns more than cash mounts colour patterns.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:So you left the game because of limited dye options (what a stupid reason tbh) that apparently push us into buying cash mounts and now you're requesting cash mounts.WHAT?

Perhaps it's a stupid reason, but I consider this to be important in a game where the major late game appeal is to collect cosmetics.

I might've been unclear. I don't like their marketing move, but it would've been less of a problem if there was an option to be able to dye base mounts. SInce it's unlikely that this will ever be free, I suggest a cash item to do so.

The base mount skins are just fine; they're very well made, look good and even have a small dyeable detail. Sure, it would be nice to have more dye channels available for them, but honestly they are just fine. They do the same job all those flashy gem store mounts do.

If you want more dye channels, you'll just have to pick from the gem store options.

I can agree that I'd like to see some alternatives. I too would like to just get the base skins with 4 dye channels. And not have to rummage through the random adoption license to find something "similar". I can understand why ANet won't do this, and the corner they've backed themselves into with the rng mount system.

(But honestly, the more I see mount skins in the game, what I want even more, is an option to toggle to set all other players mounts to the base mount/color. Sorry, I just don't like watching a Circus Freak Show.)

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" said:The base mount skins are just fine; they're very well made, look good and even have a small dyeable detail. Sure, it would be nice to have more dye channels available for them, but honestly they are just fine. They do the same job all those flashy gem store mounts do.

If you want more dye channels, you'll just have to pick from the gem store options.

In my opinion, no, they are not "just fine". Nothing can be just fine when it could be infinitely better just by changing two lines of code. Actually they even worked harder so that we couldn't dye them, because they had to lock the dye channels we can't use. And that's by accepting this kind of practices that you get a game that's generally "just fine" when it could be way better.And they made sure the base colours were tarnish and boring so we wanted to buy the shiny ones.

But I don't want the gem ones. I don't like them. Even if all gem mounts were free, I'd still prefer having the fully dyable Raptor, or Skimmer, or Jackal... Because I simply prefer their colour paterns. And I'd be annoyed, but okay, if I could just buy a pack for this, since they want so mutch for their money. I don't understand why they're not doing it already, and they're completely ignoring people asking for it.

@ROMANG.1903 said:I don't understand why they're not doing it already, and they're completely ignoring people asking for it.

Not implementing your idea isn't the same as ignoring it. Their way has no impact on the gameplay and makes it possible for them to support the game in the manner to which we are accustomed. Your way would undermine some of the reasons people have for spending 400 gems on an RNG license.

I don't see any reason for objecting to his idea, Specifically:

Anet separately selling the base skins but with 4 dye channels, and at the same price as sets like the branded, the zoids, Halloween, Xmas etc...

I dunno who else other than op would buy it, but I can't think of any reason why any onlooker would object... Like, none of our bizness.

Just boils down to whether having a few Anet staff spend an hour to handle the technical side is worth getting the money from a niche group of customers

Ironically, OP's suggested solution is already in the game. Granted, the skins are part of the 30 mount adoption license pack and you only get a random skin (so a chance of not getting the standard model with more dye channels is there, and it's bigger than the chance of getting one). But it is there. A few of those mounts from the original pack are just standard mount skins with different patterns and more dye channels. So technically, ignoring the rng factor (which is a big factor, I agree, but I'm talking technically here), OP can already get what he wants. Even the price is the same (400 gems for a random skin). Unfortunately the original adoption licenses are off rotation in the gemstore right now, but they'll return.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" said:The base mount skins are just fine; they're very well made, look good and even have a small dyeable detail. Sure, it would be nice to have more dye channels available for them, but honestly they are just fine. They do the same job all those flashy gem store mounts do.

In my opinion, no, they are not "just fine". Nothing can be just fine when it could be infinitely better just by changing two lines of code. Actually they even worked harder so that we couldn't dye them, because they had to lock the dye channels we can't use. And that's by accepting this kind of practices that you get a game that's generally "just fine" when it could be way better.

The base mount skins LOOK like base mount skins for a reason. In order to sell an expansion for the price of 30€, they had to pull in more cash flow elsewhere. And the obvious path there is mounts; everyone wants a flashy one, so they made the base mount skins look rather simple. Even the small things, such as being able to dye the entire mount and thus looking distinct from everyone else, could potentially pull money away.

In many other MMO's you wouldn't get even that one single dye channel for your base mount, and run around with a dull cosmetic speed boost. The base mounts in Guild Wars 2 are amazingly well done, and you can be proud to be riding such a thing. If you're not, buy a skin from the gem store. If you don't like them, wait until new ones come out. If you don't want to, suck it up and live with it. If you can't, quit the game. I mean, there's not much else you can do, right?

There's nothing wrong with the base skins. They look perfectly good. The purchasable skins are for people who want something fancy. It's easy to say no to them. You seem to want a fancier skin with multiple dye channels. So, buy one. They no longer force you to gamble on getting a useable skin - you can buy one of your choice.

Archived