Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no but I personally don't because I have no interest in reinstalling it. I probably put about 2000 hours into my ritualist and completed every little nook and cranny. Did most, if not all, quests - got every skill, mapped every last inch of the map. I could make another class, but eh. It's just a completed game for me. I've done it all well to death. But it was a hell of a ride, so I wouldn't try to discourage you from buying the game if you're interested.

Yep, it is a different game though so people who started with GW2 might not like it at all. You can play solo (with heroes or henchmen) almost the whole content but it is more fun to find people to play with you. Last time I logged in Kamadan was more crowded than GW2 Lions Arch. Part of them may have been chinese gold sellers but still. I recommend it as a game to play casually.

I voted in the middle since 2 apply:

Yes, regularly - This would be my only choice if there were any continuing development work on gw1. As it is, I might go back full time if I can find a good active guild.

No, can't go back to an old game - This was the main reason I switched to gw2. Now that gw2 is also an old game, I'm considering going back to gw1.

I think I've come to realize that I like gw2 for exploring solo and participating in the casual group HoT metas, but I prefer gw1 for playing content with a guild.

I've returned recently to try and finish out my HoM, but it's slow going. I got 30/50 before GW2 came out, but I missed the game's heyday, and never did find a way to make decent money inGW1. I've just been just struggling along doing dailies and whatever I can accomplish with a all-hero team. It would take way too long for me to get GWAMM now, but I want to get 50/50, even if I have to cash out everything of value I've collected there.

You need an "other" category. I didn't play GW1 until I'd been in GW2 for a while. I wanted to get some HoM skins so I bought GW1 and had friends lead me at speed through the stuff needed to get points. Then the prime leader had a baby and suddenly guild GW1 runs ended, lol, so I'm still maybe one day going to get someone to help me dedicate a second thing (I think I have to do a whole meta chain or something to do that).

But do I "still" play it? I'm not sure I ever functionally did play it. My answer would be "No, I tried it out a bit but that was it for me." I guess since your goal is to find out if there is an active player base and economy going on, you can put me down for a flat "No."

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

Do you
still
play Guild Wars 1?

In this nifty thing called experiments they have these groups called control groups which are not exposed to any part of an experiment; in this survey I'd argue having an option for people that never played would create a suitable control group and make this survey more scientific while getting a better representation of ANets population in general.

I can only try, I only ask is if you disagree with my points at least admit you understand what I'm saying. Half the time I get agitated around here is because it seems like people just don't get what I'm saying at all.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

Do you
still
play Guild Wars 1?

In this nifty thing called experiments they have these groups called control groups which are not exposed to any part of an experiment; in this survey I'd argue having an option for people that never played would create a suitable control group and make this survey more scientific while getting a better representation of ANets population in general.

I can only try, I only ask is if you disagree with my points at least admit you understand what I'm saying. Half the time I get agitated around here is because it seems like people just don't get what I'm saying at all.

I understand what you're saying. You are correct, but what you say is not correct in this particular poll.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Do you
still
play Guild Wars 1?

This is not an experiment, scientific or otherwise.

A simple question asking if those who had played GW1 in the past still do is completely unserved by a response option for those who never played GW1.

@"Brother.1504" said:Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

@"Brother.1504" said:Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

I’m lucky. My gw1 alliance is still very active. Daily elite dungeons and zq missions. Even seeing brand new players joining up.

I play it now and then. There's ALOT of content that I haven't seen yet, although I own the complete serie for many years, way before GW2. But I prefer to play solo. If I bought the companions/mercenaries (NPC's to fill up your group) I'm sure I'd be spending lots more time and play each class.But my concern is that ArenaNet would pull the GW1 plug soon after buying these additions. It's not that I distrust them, but business is business.

@Grampybone.3716 said:I play it now and then. There's ALOT of content that I haven't seen yet, although I own the complete serie for many years, way before GW2. But I prefer to play solo. If I bought the companions/mercenaries (NPC's to fill up your group) I'm sure I'd be spending lots more time and play each class.But my concern is that ArenaNet would pull the GW1 plug soon after buying these additions. It's not that I distrust them, but business is business.

Didn't even think about that possibility. I'm thinking of buying the whole series. I understand that there won't be as many people but I just hope that I won't be completely alone, and based on the poll, I won't. I want to at least play the campaigns through and through. I'm really getting it for the experience and lore. There has been a lot of positive comment about it.

Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong after all these years.

Honestly, I play it more than GW2 lol. I've been working a lot more and the mechanics in GW2 just give me a headache now. I'll come back to play the story one day, when I have more time. ESO has been my MMO of choice for lore, story, questing, housing, etc.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

It was so fun in it's prime. I was there playing through Nightfall and EotN. Loved every precious second of it. Haha, it's true, the pugging was a little bit ridiculous at times, but once you did get a group together it was pretty epic. That's a good point about builds and what not, people are probably less choosy depending on the dungeon you are running and the difficulty level.

@Zhaneel.9208 said:Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong these after all these years.

Honestly, I play it more than GW2 lol. I've been working a lot more and the mechanics in GW2 just give me a headache now. I'll come back to play the story one day, when I have more time. ESO has been my MMO of choice for lore, story, questing, housing, etc.

It was so fun in it's prime. I was there playing through Nightfall and EotN. Loved every precious second of it. Haha, it's true, the pugging was a little bit ridiculous at times, but once you did get a group together it was pretty epic. That's a good point about builds and what not, people are probably less choosy depending on the dungeon you are running and the difficulty level.

Your comment's enthusiasm is really infectious. I probably will have a go at it. The heroes/henchmen intrigue me as well as the build combinations. Is the whole content for the series (Prophecies to EoTN) entirely soloable? I would rather not get stuck at some point in the campaign because I need a group and I just can't find one.

@Martnor.1746 said:

@Zhaneel.9208 said:Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong these after all these years.

Your comment's enthusiasm is really infectious. I probably will have a go at it. The heroes/henchmen intrigue me as well as the build combinations. Is the whole content for the series (Prophecies to EoTN) entirely soloable? I would rather not get stuck at some point in the campaign because I need a group and I just can't find one.

It is definitely do-able with henchmen and heroes. This is just my own take on the games in terms of pacing, but Prophecies is a little bit slower to get through, just because of the story/mission requirements . Factions is pretty quick to get through and Nightfall is a ton of fun, if you like mobs of creatures attacking, which makes for some fast-paced gameplay. The AI in Nightfall is pretty decent and makes for some interesting scenarios. I would recommend starting with either Factions or Nightfall for those reasons. If you absolutely must know all the lore/background information to GW2 than Prophecies would be a great place to start. I can understand how people in this thread may have been turned off by no jumping mechanics, just because it's sort of a staple now in gaming and RPG's. But you get used to it, if the other mechanics peak your interest.

Also glad to hear it! :D GW1 was and always will be a very unique gaming experience and I hope you have fun with it!

@"Tasty Pudding.3764" said:There are no official GW1 forums, but if you want to connect with other active players, here are a few places to check out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/https://guildwarslegacy.com/forum/

and if you are a fanatic about pre-searing Ascalon, there's:

http://presearing.boards.net/

I heard that pre-searing ascalon was a popular area but I didn't realise there was a "community" dedicated to it. Isn't just the early game area?

Archived