Forum Profile's Stars/Ranks

Susy.7529

I did a quick research but I didn't find any Announcement Thread advertising this aspect so I'm going ahead and create a new one (sorry if it already existed).So my question is simple, do we know the requirements and benefits of stars in this forum? (1 to 4 stars)

• 1 Star (Recruit): Req: you get it by simply registering on the forum. Benefits: it allows you to create threads and post in them, you can edit your posts within 4 hours.
  • 2 Stars (Member): Req: three days of participation and five posts. Beneficts: no more time limit for editing your posts.
  • 3 Stars (Veteran): Req: idk. Benefits: you can now have a signature.
  • 4 Stars (Elite): Req: controversial opinions. Benefits: idk.

I'm editing this as soon as someone clears the missing points. Thanks.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:No, Elite does not come from 30 Helpfuls; it's time-based, as many are.

Considering your lack of telling us the exact time requirement (I couldnt find anyone saying anything specific either, and considering people became elite way before I was but have been there when the new forum launched) I'm just gonna go with the requirement of 30 helpfuls AND a certain time requirement.

@Malediktus.9250 said:4 stars was 6 months of forum membership if i recall rightI guess the 5th and final star will be at 12 months

^This. I'm sure there are prerequisites besides the time threshold, but many of us who have been posting since this new forum arrived hit 4 stars at about the same time (6 months from the time the forum went live).

According to Vanilla, standard ranks can be based on how long you've been registered, post count and "points" (badges/likes/helpfuls). By default, rank 4 is "500", so probably 500 of a combination of likes/helpfuls and 500 posts, on top of whatever time requirement they set (~6 months). The next and last default rank has double the requirements.

There used to be a thread/post about Status; I don't know if it's been edited or removed, or just not found. (Of course, there was nothing about 'Elite' status, because, at the time, no one [regular forum posters] had attained it, or knew it existed.)

I did find this bit of information:

Forum participants achieve "Member" level after just three days of participation and five posts.

We're going to change the edit limits on "Recruit" level members to 4 hours. This should help accommodate even the newest of members.We're going to completely eliminate edit limits for those who are "Member" and above.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/118549/#Comment_118549

I think the 3rd and 4th stars are time-gated but also dependant on your score (which for some reason I can only see on the mobile version), and your score is increased through a combination of post count and likes/helpfuls. So no matter how high your score is you cannot gain a new rank until a certain amount of time has passed, but you may not get it as soon as enough time passes because you also need to meet the score requirement.

I'm not sure what the necessary scores are however, because like I said I can only see them on the mobile version, and I don't pay that close attention to them. But that would explain why some people went up a rank when they gained more 'helpful' reactions and other people got the same rank with less (they may have more post and/or more thumbs up reactions).

Basically it's a complicated post count system - people with more stars tend to post more and over a long period of time. That's all it means.

Some more information I have been and am still working out:

• I'm still 3 stars (Veteran), though I've been active since the day the new forums launched and it has been 9 months since my first thread creation.
  • I gained signature ability while still being 2 stars (documented elsewhere in topics about forum ranks (here and several posts after it))
  • There is a 'Points' element for profiles (not shown, but there) which is likely what rankings are related to in addition to some unknown age of account requirement

@Susy.7529 (OP) has 177 Points:

• 7 helpful + 142 thumbs up + 12 created threads + 5 badges = 166
  • I believe the rest is accounted for by comment count in a fractional awarding (10 comments = 1 point)Their comment count is 88 so this would be 8 points: 166 + 8 = 174They are also a 3 star Veteran and I believe each 'rank' awards a point: 174 + 3 = 177 = their total points shown on their account page (when manually made to be shown)

Also to note - their created discussions only displays 12 actual threads, but their displayed count shows 13. The reason for this is that there appears to be a bug/deficiency on the forum configuration which inaccurately counts created discussions (I have 5 created but the count shows 69). This is due to threads which are removed or merged into other threads no longer appearing in your discussion list as they no longer technically exist, but your discussion count still includes it.

However, while this math works out for Susy, it is slightly off when applying it to others' profile details. Clearly the formula is not exactly as I've described, but it seems like it is the right track for figuring out specific requirements for rank gaining.

Regardless of the way Points are tallied, I believe it to be 'Required Point Amount' + 'Required Minimum Account Age' = RankHave the age requirement but not the point requirement? Stuck at that Rank until you get the points for the next Rank.(or reverse of having points but not the age/age since first comment)

I currently have 317 points and am Rank 3 (Veteran). @"FrizzFreston.5290" has 684 points and is Rank 4 (Elite).I believe the 'Required Points' mark for Elite is 500, though I am not sure of what the "Minimum Account Age/time passed since first comment made" is for this 4 Star Rank. Both my and Frizz' first comments were on September 12, 2017 so both of our accounts are nearly the same 'age' since our first comments were made.

To give Frizz the same breakdown as I did for Susy:

Frizz has 684 Points

• 30 Helpful + 541 Thumbs Up + 11 Created Threads + 8 Badges + 4 Stars = 594
  • Note that their created thread count shows 11 even though they only have 4 currently existing as individual threads
  • 603 comments = 60 points at 1 point for every 10 comments: 594 + 60 = 654684 - 654 = 30 point difference this formula results in

Note: This missing 30 is also the same amount as Helpfuls they have, but this is a coincidence. If helpfuls were worth 2 points each instead of 1 and Points only counted helpfuls and thumbs up, doubling my own helpfuls + thumbs up would put me at 358 points when I only have 317 total points, and put Susy at having 7 points more than the points they currently have.

Discovering that Points exist on our accounts led me toward working out how they are counted and how many would be needed along side time passing for each rank. Yes, ranks may have nothing to do with points, but it's something I was looking into. Perhaps someone else will find my efforts useful in some way.

EDIT:Corrected Rank 3 to be Veteran, not Member (which is rank 2)

@StinVec.3621 said:Some more information I have been and am still working out:

• I'm still 3 stars (Member), though I've been active since the day the new forums launched and it has been 9 months since my first thread creation.
  • I gained signature ability while still being 2 stars (documented elsewhere in topics about forum ranks)
  • There is a 'Points' element for profiles (not shown, but there) which is likely what rankings are related to in addition to some unknown age of account requirement

• I believe the rest is accounted for by comment count in a fractional awarding (10 comments = 1 point) Their comment count is 88 so this would be 8 points: 166 + 8 = 174 They are also a 3 star member and I believe each 'rank' awards a point: 174 + 3 = 177 = their total points shown on their account page (when manually made to be shown)

Also to note - their created discussions only displays 12 actual threads, but their displayed count shows 13. The reason for this is that there appears to be a bug/deficiency on the forum configuration which inaccurately counts created discussions (I have 5 created but the count shows 69). This is due to threads which are removed or merged into other threads no longer appearing in your discussion list as they no longer technically exist, but your discussion count still includes it.

However, while this math works out for Susy, it is slightly off when applying it to others' profile details. Clearly the formula is not exactly as I've described, but it is seems like it is the right track for figuring out specific requirements for rank gaining.

Regardless of the way Points are tallied, I believe it to be 'Required Point Amount' + 'Required Minimum Account Age' = RankHave the age requirement but not the point requirement? Stuck at that Rank until you get the points for the next Rank.(or reverse of having points but not the age/age since first comment)

I currently have 317 points and am Rank 3 (Member). @"FrizzFreston.5290" has 684 points and is Rank 4 (Elite).I believe the 'Required Points' mark for Elite is 500, though I am not sure of what the "Minimum Account Age/time passed since first comment made" is for this 4 Star Rank. Both my and Frizz' first comments were on September 12, 2017 so both of our accounts are nearly the same 'age' since our first comments were made.

Frizz has 684 Points

• Note that their created thread count shows 11 even though they only have 4 currently existing as individual threads
  • 603 comments = 60 points at 1 point for every 10 comments: 594 + 60 = 654684 - 654 = 30 point difference this formula results in

Note: This missing 30 is also the same amount as Helpfuls they have, but this is a coincidence. If helpfuls were worth 2 points each instead of 1 and Points only counted helpfuls and thumbs up, doubling my own helpfuls + thumbs up would put me at 358 points when I only have 317 total points, and put Susy at having 7 points more than the points they currently have.

Discovering that Points exist on our accounts led me toward working out how they are counted and how many would be needed along side time passing for each rank. Yes, ranks may have nothing to do with points, but it's something I was looking into. Perhaps someone else will find my efforts useful in some way.

For the record I am still at 3 * but have 723 points.

@costepj.5120 said:

• I'm still 3 stars (Member), though I've been active since the day the new forums launched and it has been 9 months since my first thread creation.
  • I gained signature ability while still being 2 stars (documented elsewhere in topics about forum ranks)

• I believe the rest is accounted for by comment count in a fractional awarding (10 comments = 1 point)
    Their comment count is 88 so this would be 8 points: 166 + 8 = 174
    They are also a 3 star member and I believe each 'rank' awards a point: 174 + 3 = 177 = their total points shown on their account page (when manually made to be shown)

However
, while this math works out for Susy, it is slightly off when applying it to others' profile details. Clearly the formula is not exactly as I've described, but it is seems like it is the right track for figuring out specific requirements for rank gaining.

I currently have 317 points and am Rank 3 (Member). @"FrizzFreston.5290" has 684 points and is Rank 4 (Elite).I believe the 'Required Points' mark for Elite is 500, though I am not sure of what the "Minimum Account Age/time passed since first comment made" is for this 4 Star Rank. Both my and Frizz' first comments were on September 12, 2017 so both of our accounts are nearly the same 'age' since our first comments were made.

Frizz has 684 Points

Ah, thank you for noting that. As you've also been active since September 2017, it appears it isn't due to having gained the point count (if it were 500), but lacking the account age requirement.

I have no clue now what requirements Elite may have. :\

@StinVec.3621 said:Also to note - their created discussions only displays 12 actual threads, but their displayed count shows 13. The reason for this is that there appears to be a bug/deficiency on the forum configuration which inaccurately counts created discussions (I have 5 created but the count shows 69). This is due to threads which are removed or merged into other threads no longer appearing in your discussion list as they no longer technically exist, but your discussion count still includes it.

I'm pretty sure the discussions count is just broken. Mine shows 34 and there's no way I've started that many topics, even allowing for ones which were merged into other topics, because I almost never start new topics. (Honestly I'm surprised I've started the 25 topics listed on my profile, but the list looks correct and I don't remember any which aren't listed.)

Also when the new forum first opened I went to my profile page immediately to set it up and it was saying I'd started 1 discussion before I'd posted anything at all. I'm not sure what causes it but my guess is either it's counting something else as discussions (e.g. if a notification is sent automatically to the forum administrators, say when a new user signs in for the first time, that might count) or it's simply a broken counter and the number is essentially random.

@costepj.5120 said:

• I believe the rest is accounted for by comment count in a fractional awarding (10 comments = 1 point)
    They are also a 3 star member and I believe each 'rank' awards a point: 174 + 3 = 177 = their total points shown on their account page (when manually made to be shown)

However
, while this math works out for Susy, it is slightly off when applying it to others' profile details. Clearly the formula is not exactly as I've described, but it is seems like it is the right track for figuring out specific requirements for rank gaining.

Frizz has 684 Points

For the record I am still at 3 * but have 723 points.But you didn't start any discussions yet.

At this point it might just be a set of requirements that need to be met. Also Thanks StinVec for the breakdown.

@StinVec.3621 said:

However

Frizz has 684 Points

Ah, thank you for noting that. As you've also been active since September 2017, it appears it isn't due to having gained the point count (if it were 500), but lacking the account age requirement.

How do I see points?

@Danikat.8537 said:

@StinVec.3621 said:Also to note - their created discussions only displays 12 actual threads, but their displayed count shows 13. The reason for this is that there appears to be a bug/deficiency on the forum configuration which inaccurately counts created discussions (I have 5 created but the count shows 69). This is due to threads which are removed or merged into other threads no longer appearing in your discussion list as they no longer technically exist, but your discussion count still includes it.

I'm pretty sure the discussions count is just broken. Mine shows 34 and there's no way I've started that many topics, even allowing for ones which were merged into other topics, because I almost never start new topics. (Honestly I'm surprised I've started the 25 topics listed on my profile, but the list looks correct and I don't remember any which aren't listed.)It seems that deleted posts aren't really deleted, but they are moved to some invisible (to us) part of the forum. If your post ends up as the fist post of that thread, you are probably counted as creator.Or at least that's my guess (seeing as i have a number of created threads listed, but i don't remember creating any, and clicking on that number always was showing me an empty list)

@Linken.6345 said:How do I see points?

The mobile version of the page shows more information for whatever reason. What version of the page you see is simply based on your browser's user agent string, so you can simply modify that to include the keyword iPhone. Alternatively, IE/Edge allows you to emulate devices, so use that and press F12 to open the dev tools, then the emulation tab.

You have 869 points.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Linken.6345 said:How do I see points?

The mobile version of the page shows more information for whatever reason. What version of the page you see is simply based on your browser's user agent string, so you can simply modify that to include the keyword iPhone. Alternatively, IE/Edge allows you to emulate devices, so use that and press F12 to open the dev tools, then the emulation tab.

You have 869 points.

Thanks for explaining mate.

@Linken.6345 said:

However

Frizz has 684 Points

How do I see points?

I had originally found them on profile pages while configuring my Grey&Red theme for the forums and saw that they were marked to not be shown. I enabled them to be shown in my theme (which is available in my sig). However, @"Danikat.8537" noted in their post while I took forever to write up mine that Points are visible on profiles when viewing the forums via mobile device. I had no idea about this as I visit only via desktop PC. Strange that they would have them visible on the mobile version but not the full desktop version.

If you want to manually enable them on the desktop site version, you could manually toggle them to be visible via the browser's right-click > Inspect Element > Change Points element to visible. I don't know if Chrome has such an inspect feature as I never use it, but Firefox and its forks do. For the change to be persistent you would likely need to create a CSS theme in a browser extension (like Stylus), or add it to your browser's user css file for this site.

The element for the actual word "Points" is:.Profile .About dt.Points

The element for the numerical count is:.Profile .About dd.Points

Then change display: none !important; from "none" to "block".

If more detailed information on using a CSS extension or for CSS code to only enabling this element is desired, let me know.

(EDIT: or do what @Healix.5819 noted above. I really need to refresh the page before posting my comments to see others' additions to the thread)

@Danikat.8537 said:

I'm pretty sure the discussions count is just broken. Mine shows 34 and there's no way I've started that many topics, even allowing for ones which were merged into other topics, because I almost never start new topics. (Honestly I'm surprised I've started the 25 topics listed on my profile, but the list looks correct and I don't remember any which aren't listed.)

Also when the new forum first opened I went to my profile page immediately to set it up and it was saying I'd started 1 discussion before I'd posted anything at all. I'm not sure what causes it but my guess is either it's counting something else as discussions (e.g. if a notification is sent automatically to the forum administrators, say when a new user signs in for the first time, that might count) or it's simply a broken counter and the number is essentially random.

Thank you for that additional information on it.I think you are right; it's borked (maybe in more ways than one). :)

Archived