Forum Profile's Stars/Ranks

Susy.7529

@Vavume.8065 said:I'm guessing for 4 stars you need to have made over 500 comments (probably other factors also) unless someone can find someone with 4 stars and under 500.

I think that is what it is. I have 363 helpful votes, 506 thumbs up, but only 453 comments as of this post, and 3 stars, but I posted the first day the forum went live. So I doubt the stars are based on some point system regarding thumbs up and helpful votes. It seems more based on first time posting and number of posts. The whole star system IMO is kind of silly and pointless. Two stars to edit a post after 30 minutes, three to have a signature, if that is still accurate. After that stars don't seem to have any benefits or point. From my experience following this forum since the new launch, numbers of stars don't mean a whole lot when it comes to the quality of the post anyway.

I just got my fourth star! I got it after my 65th "Helpful". I also have 563 upvotes over 603 (now 604) comments. I think it's safe to assume that it involves some kind of post to rating ratio that may or may not also change depending on time.

For the record I am camping that page on my second monitor whenever I get bored. I got the message right as I got that 65th helpful, I don't think that was a coincidence

@"Blocki.4931" said:I just got my fourth star! I got it after my 65th "Helpful". I also have 563 upvotes over 603 (now 604) comments. I think it's safe to assume that it involves some kind of post to rating ratio that may or may not also change depending on time.

For the record I am camping that page on my second monitor whenever I get bored. I got the message right as I got that 65th helpful, I don't think that was a coincidence

Fairly sure there's more to it. I was under the impression that 6 months was the 4th star but can't be certain since mine's on 3 star but 1st post date was Nov 2017.

Not that it will help because i'm way over 4 star age wise, but i can tell you that im at 2588 points. For whatever that's worth, its also not as straightforward as Like+Helpful as that's missing some as i have a combined total of 2454.

Do with that what you will i guess.

Hmm..can't say much about it. My account was unlocked the day the new forums went online, got 41 helpfuls at the time of writing but it seems i'm stuck at 3 stars. I also get moderated every now and then...that's how edgy, radical and badkitten I am...so I think that moderation might take some of your forum GBP's away. I'm fine with it and don't think about it too much. After going to 2 stars I unlocked full functionality of the forums and that's all I need.

Just to note some other odd findings on how the Points aspect of rank progression may be awarded:

!! @Garuruchan.8716 has 2 points:! 1 Comment! 1 Badge (First Comment)! = 2 (if both are worth 1 point each)! 0 unaccounted for!! @Edinho.2704 has 4 points:! 1 Comment! 1 Badge (First Comment)! 2 Thumbs Up! = 4 (if all are worth 1 point each)! 0 unaccounted for!! @Talos.9608 has 3 points:! 2 Comments in 2 different threads! 1 Badge (First Comment)! 1 Thumbs up! = 4 (if all are worth 1 point each)! +1 more than can be accounted for if all data points are worth 1 point each!! @Mister XY.9536 has 12 points:! 3 Comments total in 2 different threads! 2 Badges (First Comment, Photogenic)! 1 Discussion! = 6 (if all are worth 1 point each) (5 if only the first comment in the same thread is counted)! 6 unaccounted for (7 if the above note is true) (2 if Photogenic is worth 5 points and not 1, or 3 if first comment counted only and Photogenic worth 5)!! @Mef.1307 has 12 points:! 3 Comments in 3 different threads! 2 Badges (First Comment, Photogenic)! = 5 (if all are worth 1 point each)! 7 unaccounted for (3 if Photogenic is worth 5 points and not 1)!! How I interpret this so far:! Individual badges appear to award points, though different badges may award different amounts of points (1 for First Comment, 5 for Photogenic, etc.)! Due to Talos having more points than can be accounted for based on the previous users' info, Forum Account Age 'milestones' may award points which could account for this +1 (and extra points that cannot be accounted for in other examples). However, we can only gauge based on first post date as to an account's 'age' due to this information (i.e. Joined on # / Member Since #) not being publicly available/displayed and to then work out what timeframe these milestones may be and the amount of points they may award! Being the author of a Discussion may award more than 1 point (e.g. 4 in the case of Mister XY if this is accurate - more examples of young/low activity accounts needed that have discussions created)

As I'm not going to be looking into figuring out the details of point awarding any longer, I thought I would share the results of some further efforts I made regarding point awarding in case it might save some others some time or effort if they are still curious and looking closer into it.

@lokh.2695 said:Hmm..can't say much about it. My account was unlocked the day the new forums went online, got 41 helpfuls at the time of writing but it seems i'm stuck at 3 stars. I also get moderated every now and then...that's how edgy, radical and badkitten I am...so I think that moderation might take some of your forum GBP's away. I'm fine with it and don't think about it too much. After going to 2 stars I unlocked full functionality of the forums and that's all I need.

I doubt moderation has anything to do with it, unless it deletes enough of your thumbs up/helpful posts.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@lokh.2695 said:Hmm..can't say much about it. My account was unlocked the day the new forums went online, got 41 helpfuls at the time of writing but it seems i'm stuck at 3 stars. I also get moderated every now and then...that's how edgy, radical and badkitten I am...so I think that moderation might take some of your forum GBP's away. I'm fine with it and don't think about it too much. After going to 2 stars I unlocked full functionality of the forums and that's all I need.

I doubt moderation has anything to do with it, unless it deletes enough of your thumbs up/helpful posts.

In some forum systems moderation definitely does affect it. But they usually label the system clearly as the posters reputation.

In those systems posting gives a small increase, users 'upvoting' your posts (agreeing or giving other positive reactions) increases it more and 'downvoting' may decrease it. But on top of that moderators have the option to manually add or remove points, and often will remove some points as part of the punishment when a user breaks the rules, or add points when they do something exceptionally good for the forum.

(The downside of course is that, especially on 3rd party forums where all the moderators are volunteers recruited from the community and often post as normal members too the system is highly open to abuse and high ranked users may simply be friends of the moderators/admins who rarely actually post anything constructive.)

It's possible GW2 does that as well, but it seems unlikely to me because the way the system is presented it's more like an activity tracker than a reputation system. Especially since as far as we know you can't lose stars.

@"Zaraki.5784" said:I've got 773 points and I'm here since September but I'm a bit below 500 comments, so I'm fairly sure that "500 comments" is part of requirements, I'll check again when I'll reach 500 comments.

I just passed the 500 threshold and still on 3 stars so it has a different requirement.

Archived