Are you tired of conquest?

Guizao.4167

@James.9071 said:new modes fail, if memory serves people hated quickly changing builds before courtyard, and zergy gameplay isnt for most PvPers. stronghold failed since you had to queue for it differently and that led to it being removed from rank.

No, Stronghold failed because it was poorly executed. Mist champions were only good for points, Archers were worthless, and the two best strategies were PvE race or defend to a draw.

@Phantaram.4816 said:The real solution is to make a very in-depth pvp mode that is both moba-like and battle royale-like. Plop down with your team of 3 on a designated spot on a very large map full of monsters to kill, levels to gain, and loot to acquire along with 10 other teams of 3 that if you kill you can take their loot and experience. Last team standing wins!

It has all the amazing facets of World pvp in mmos melded into a 30-45 minute game mode. Progression that is so core to the rpg experience and what makes games like mobas and battle royales so popular is in every match in the form of acquiring gear and levels and modifying your build as you progress. The classic and fun aspect of ganking the enemy while they are fighting pve monsters to level up is present. There is depth to strategy in that you can make team compositions based on being strong early game, late game, or have a specific power spike timing. Does your composition aim to farm Monsters and avoid enemy teams as much as it can or is it confrontational and meant to snowball power off of killing other teams early? Maybe there are risky strategies like splitting up early to maximize experience and loot gain but become very vulnerable to ganks.

It's like the perfect mmorpg game mode and no ones bothered to make it yet. I think it'd unite WvWers and Spvpers into one awesome game mode too.

I mean realistically a game like this would be best made from the ground up but an already made mmo is a great groundwork for such a game I would think.

That actually sounds amazing.

@polvere.2805 said:CTF? Naaah your will sede thieves porting half map with flag. If you dont allow teleporting with flag then you will render useless some classe.

TDM? It was called courtyard and it was highly unbalanced. Maybe a for fun mode but nothing more and nothing less than a hotjoin.

Please stop the meme of battle royale. It's a game mode that gets stale overtime and it's not really suited for an mmo. Could be added as a small temporary evwnt bit nothing more. In mmo people want to study their build, synergies etc etc, not hoping to get the rigjt item that will male their class work.(Southsun survival anyone???)

The main problem of gw2 is that the rock paper scissor system influences the game a lot. If you have paper winning against a scissor can be almost impossible if scissor knows how to cut a little bit.

Some classe are basically useful only in niche roles. Take thief, he is a +1 only class, other roles dont suit him. Tale necro: outside of a teamfight he will just be ganked and kited cover and cover when his support is not close.New game mode for fun? Yeah sure little events are fun. New game mode to implement queue? They nave to be really carefully studi ed

Who would design CTF where you can simply get an object and teleport with it freely? And how come some professions will be rendered useless? A tanky player, of any profession will get the flag while its other teammates will defend the flag bearer. It'll need different builds to achieve this, like a dedicated CCer, a healer, a hybrid and so on.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I voted Yes, but it doesn't really mean that Im fed up with conquest. I think there is room for something new though. I think my main issue with conquest is that it renders a lot of possible builds/traitlines/utilities useless. There is also too much AoE in this game for such small capture nodes. And the irrelevance of a Guild in Guild Wars 2 in PvP is something bothering me as well.

I actually agree with Phantarams post. Conceptually, the best PvP game I played was Knight Online. There, you had large maps based on a certain level range, for example Map A was for lvl 0-30, Map B for 30-50, etc. These maps were filled with valuable monsters that could be killed, but were hard to kill. However, when an enemy party of the opposite race was comming in, it was risky to pursue killing the monster. The most valuable monsters had a long spawn time, so most often you were looking to kill enemies of the opposite race, and force them to retreat in their base.

A good thing about this system is the equal importance of several classes, the influence of the party system, the guild system and the leaderboard. Each class had a specific valuable role: warrior(tanking and heavy dmg), assassin (stealth, spike dmg, party utility), mage (teleporting party members, AoE dmg) and priest (group healing, group buffing, and enemy debuffing). However, a party with 3 mages could work, a party with 5 assassins could work or even a party with 4 priests. There wasnt really a ''meta'' so to say. When your party made a kill, the whole party was equally rewarded with points. The more points you individually have, the higher you're placed on the leader board, leading to a certain symbol next to your name (comparable to our current gold, plat, etc. badges). You could also donate those earned points to the Guild that you're in. The more points your Guild had, the more influence it had on several things, and the cooler the stuff was the Guild could get (for example capes with the Guild logo on it).

Next to this regular PvP, a certain event popped up twice a day. This event put randomly formed teams of 8 against each other. The team with the most kills at the end won the matchup and gained nice loot. Another weekly event was the War, in which both races conquered each other on one map, accessible to all levels. The winning race could invade the enemy homelands. Ofcourse this all is far fetched for GW2, but it shows that a true PvP game can have much more to it than just this conquest. People might say: ''but we also have WvW'', but I don't find this comparable.

I totally agree with you. In the original Guild Wars guilds were a vital part of the everyday life of players. Guilds had an identity, dedicated players and were very important in various aspects of the gameplay. Here, in Guild Wars 2, guilds are 90% useless. Contents designed around guilds aren't quite impactful, when it comes to PvP it really lacks proper designed content. I think everyone is aware how guilds shaped human society in this game, but it's funny to notice how neglectable it is...

@"Blackdagger.9670" said:It was 2014 when I complained about conquest and this game insisting on only one pvp mode. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change.In Anet's eyes PvP = conquest and can't be anything else. So no need to argue about it, they don't care.

Oh yeah, and there is Stronghold, it's the biggest failure in all games that has a pvp mode. Never forget.

I got tired of conquest at 2015 with all those lame balance updates they insisted on calling _balance"

For those who have this dreamy idea about how a 10v10 deathmatch would be awesome. Go to any wvw map primetime and spectate two blobs fighting. Nothing more than scurges running around each other with some firebrands and chronos supporting them. No other classes are really welcome or even viable in such fight. Just my 2 cents.

@Elvarazsollak.5193 said:For those who have this dreamy idea about how a 10v10 deathmatch would be awesome. Go to any wvw map primetime and spectate two blobs fighting. Nothing more than scurges running around each other with some firebrands and chronos supporting them. No other classes are really welcome or even viable in such fight. Just my 2 cents.

Agree. Main meta nowadays consists on scourges + mesmers + firebrands, and we can all agree that it will be rather hard to read or see anything going on through all AoE's and phantasms, especially on a 10v10 situation. Even on a 5v5 situation, this would be terrible to be honest. The idea could however work like someone said, on a codex arena way. Each class has 1 build per week and have to deal with it.

@Phantaram.4816 said:The real solution is to make a very in-depth pvp mode that is both moba-like and battle royale-like. Plop down with your team of 3 on a designated spot on a very large map full of monsters to kill, levels to gain, and loot to acquire along with 10 other teams of 3 that if you kill you can take their loot and experience. Last team standing wins!

It has all the amazing facets of World pvp in mmos melded into a 30-45 minute game mode. Progression that is so core to the rpg experience and what makes games like mobas and battle royales so popular is in every match in the form of acquiring gear and levels and modifying your build as you progress. The classic and fun aspect of ganking the enemy while they are fighting pve monsters to level up is present. There is depth to strategy in that you can make team compositions based on being strong early game, late game, or have a specific power spike timing. Does your composition aim to farm Monsters and avoid enemy teams as much as it can or is it confrontational and meant to snowball power off of killing other teams early? Maybe there are risky strategies like splitting up early to maximize experience and loot gain but become very vulnerable to ganks.

It's like the perfect mmorpg game mode and no ones bothered to make it yet. I think it'd unite WvWers and Spvpers into one awesome game mode too.

I mean realistically a game like this would be best made from the ground up but an already made mmo is a great groundwork for such a game I would think.

That sounds really interesting... i like it.

I like conquest the problem is as others have mentioned is that is has grown especially stale because the objectives never change and solo queuing is horrible. Why ANet caved into the minority and removed 5 man queues is still a mystery to me because they really killed a lot of PvP interest with that decision. We could have some pseudo guild teams going at it in conquest had they not made that idiotic decision. I would love to see GvG return like it was in GW1 with trying to capture the enemy's base and having a large map to fight on. GW2's combat is perfect for a 10 v 10 or 8 v 8 type of situation for that to occur.

@lLobo.7960 said:They did try to make stronghold a thing (ad seems are still slightly trying)...And there was a TDM map (was it before ranked/unranked system? can't remember.)they failed at both of these and didn't try again. the mistake was not the failure it was not giving it another go.The issue is, with conquest you have options.not really. there is always the best option according to your class role.With many other systems it would get very out of hand.

• Catch the flag favors heavily classes with more mobility. Even if you loose mobility when you have the flag, you can still use all your ports to get back to the flag faster, etc.idk how hard it would be to disable using mes port / lock out utilities but it seems doable.
  • TDM favors the guard-necro... I mean bunker-dps duo too much, as you have no other option to win other than just kill them. There is no rotation to try to outplay them... Besides the issues with classes that can stealth/reset fights forever...theres always going to be a best option, and there will always be ways to outplay them. maybe if we get tdm anet will do something about that duo. likely not but it can still be beat with heavy burst and pressuring the guard.The other issue is splitting up an already low population between more queues and modes...so have one queue and let players vote game mode and map.Id love to see some more pvp game modes, but it's not something easy to get it right and they showed (with TDM and stronghold) that they still have a lot of work to do to get it.I mean, it looks hard and it probably is, but there are a couple of easy fixes for tdm. first, have rounds. second, if it starts to snowball, give incentives for the top players on the winning side to switch teams, and give option for lowest on losing to switch. third, try to sort players onto teams based on their amulet, so not all damage players go onto one team and healers the other.

@BeLZedaR.4790 said:

I like the concept but the game’s level scaling has to change for this to work. A level 80 is going to 1shot any level 75~ or below build.

Other than that I’ll add I voted No because I think its not necessary for rank/ATs.It might be if you’re talking about unranked / hotjoins.

I imagine the game mode would have it's own leveling/gearing system.

The main problem is that a large amount of players want a new game mode but NO ONE want to ADAPT to it.

ANet made different viable maps where you was able to win following specific mechanics: death match, kill the lord, score taking an item and took it on your base.The problem was and always will be that players can't play that game modes with they're actual build and they don't want to chance build, and eventually meta, only to play in a different way.

You can ask for a different game mode and ANet can grant you a new map with that requested game mode but no one will be happy of it because that will force them to change they're gameplay and they don't want to.

Is totally useless ask for something no one will want to play, as it always was in this game. ANet granted us new maps and game modes but how many players play strnghold? Or deathmatch?

Don't pretend to change the game if you don't want to change your gameplay

Great idea!

Not going to say I'm tired of conquest, because that comes with the implication I've been playing it for ages and want to see something else.

I've never liked Conquest from the start, and it's solely because of conquest that I've seldom played any PvP.

Yeah sick of conquest but if stronkhold is any indication then ANet cannot design a new fun mode to play with current class design. Gameplay is too zergy and spammy for any tactical modes, need to be forced into splits ala circlewars. I would kill for a functioning GvG from GW1 but it's simply not possible at all, I would not expect anything new in the forseeable future. It is possible for them to lock builds and have only those builds playable in certain modes however making it easier to design around kinda like the codex from GW1 even though that sucked major donkey balls after they removed TA.

I personally thought the TDM map was awful, worst time I've ever had in the game when I was force to either play it or afk it when it came up. I actually had a character I'd swap to named 'afk cuz xxx map' I had one for that and one for skyhammer which used to be awful as well. Conquest can be boring but at least is the lesser of evils.

I'd like a new game mode but wouldn't mind them keeping as is. As such, some issues:

1) Balance patches would have to be way more frequent. Balancing around conquest and how infrequent they do it doesn't put a lot of faith that they won't let builds go untouched for a long time in another game mode. Their whole "big balance update" during the season doesn't make any sense either. Off-season should be the big updates and then you tweak as the season goes on.2) PvP population - if people don't play they don't play and there's no real fix to that. I think with the issues with conquest mode along with the matchmaking, people get the assumption that the matchmaking is broke but with a relatively low population, it's going to seem that way. So you introduce a new game mode and that population is then spread thin resulting in more lopsided games. It's kind of a catch 22 - to get a population you introduce a new game mode but with the fear of alienating the other game mode and population.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they go into maintenance mode with pvp in the sense that they stick with conquest and focus on the balancing portion of each class and elite. I feel like they're beyond the point of introducing something new to have it ultimately fail like they did with Stronghold.

@"phokus.8934" said:I'd like a new game mode but wouldn't mind them keeping as is. As such, some issues:

1) Balance patches would have to be way more frequent. Balancing around conquest and how infrequent they do it doesn't put a lot of faith that they won't let builds go untouched for a long time in another game mode. Their whole "big balance update" during the season doesn't make any sense either. Off-season should be the big updates and then you tweak as the season goes on.2) PvP population - if people don't play they don't play and there's no real fix to that. I think with the issues with conquest mode along with the matchmaking, people get the assumption that the matchmaking is broke but with a relatively low population, it's going to seem that way. So you introduce a new game mode and that population is then spread thin resulting in more lopsided games. It's kind of a catch 22 - to get a population you introduce a new game mode but with the fear of alienating the other game mode and population.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they go into maintenance mode with pvp in the sense that they stick with conquest and focus on the balancing portion of each class and elite. I feel like they're beyond the point of introducing something new to have it ultimately fail like they did with Stronghold.

True. ArenaNet delivers balance patches like snails and the quality of such balances are very questionable.

Archived