Is it ok to lock the Gryphon mount behind a gold sink collection.

Daniel.5428

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is totally fine. Sure it is quite a sum of gold for most players to invest, but it isn't just a gold wall, you have to go through a kind of treasure hunt across all zones too! And best of all, it is totally optional. Having a griffon makes certain things easier, but you don't NEED it in order to play the game. For now, it is for those hunting achievments and prestige, which is what makes endgame content enjoyable for me.

Considering it doesn't expect you to pay everything at once, yes, it's fine. This is a MMO, right? You're supposed to have things like this to work towards and that's just what you can do: Focus on one item at a time so it's not an overwhelming amount of money all at once. It's not a mount you absolutely need for anything but that one mastery in the tomb of the Primeval royals. And since the griffon has a mastery track, you also don't need that point if you don't have the griffon. It's a luxury, even if you don't have gliding, since everything that requires gliding is locked behind its own expansion.

Well honestly I think it's fair compared to other games. In other games You would have to purchase it through gems or crowns to get the mount. But in gw2 you can use gold which is really good. If I was new I would complain however I'm not so I know how to get 250 gold. Now I only have 130 since I spent it on all 500 crafting mats. Bags slots etc. So I'm stacking up again. But 250 isn't a long time. Also the griffon mount is more of a luxury mount. You don't actually need it. We already have gliding. The skimmer. Springer. Raptor and jackel. Flying isn't really a need in this game. It's more of a flashy thing. So you have the choice to want to get it. You don't have to. But you should want to. Well cause it's flying. But hopefully later on arenanet Implements things that only the griffon can get to. Then people would have to get it to move on. But is it fair? Yes it's fair.

Who are they targeting here long time players have plenty of gold.They are targeting new players or returning players so they buy some gems and turn it into gold to be able to afford the gryphon.Gathering things for the mount no problem but dont lock it behind a gold wall, what is the point of making it this expencive?would be alot more fun if you need to complete achievments only instead of buying 10 random 25 gold items.what purpose does buying 10 items have? There are other ways give the people back the 250 gold and make it achievments only.so evryone can have some fun with it.

250 isn't much, i'm a fairly new player, started in august and sitting at near 400g and with hundreds more worth in mats. Still holding on buying the Griffon because i don't want to go broke for it (gotta have money to make money) but i really don't think its a major issue.

@Vodyara.4608 said:Far too expensive. Most players will have to grind gold for months, on top of grinding the achievements, before they're able to buy the mount.

Something like 50 gold would have been the best price tag.

Months? How do you get that? As people have pointed out, you can farm SW for 2 hours a day and have 250G in less than a week! Can you truly not allot 2 hours a day to running in a big circle spamming autoattack? Or if that's too boring, join a leather farm in Lake Doric and get dozens of Warped Hides per hour and sell those while the leather market is up again. Gold is easy. It is SO easy.

There are some things in this game that I feel are "too much work" to bother with, but this is not one of them. I don't even have the mount yet, but gold won't be the problem. I'm still mixing my time between Halloween and POF story, and enjoying it every step of the way.

@Vodyara.4608 said:Far too expensive. Most players will have to grind gold for months, on top of grinding the achievements, before they're able to buy the mount.

Something like 50 gold would have been the best price tag.

50 gold for the top luxury reward for an entire expansion, something you can grind in hours simply by playing any content you fancy in game. really? I dont have it, but 250 gold seems cheap, for example there are non legendary skins in TP that cost 3 times that, then theres commander rank etc etc. There is plenty of instant gratification rewards in GW already.

Yes.

I think the price is perfect, honestly. For a mount as grand and as maneuverable as the griffon, I feel that it's justified. It's high enough to feel like a significant investment, but still moderately accessible given enough time and/or determination. Even if you only saved the 2g you get from your dailies and earned nothing else at all, it will take you a little over 4 months to accumulate the 250g. And keep in mind, that's 25g spent 10 times over. Not a 250g lump sum (I find saving in small batches like that easier, myself). It's not instantaneous, no. But it's not impossible, either. And the griffon is entirely worth that wait, if you can literally only make 2g a day.

But even if you still think 250g is an impossible feat, it's free to unlock the collections. May as well do so, and see how your wallet is faring after the associated eggs, events, and bounties are completed.

Editing to add: The griffon is not required for any PoF content (outside of griffon-specific adventures, which aren't available until you master the griffon). It's an entirely optional side-quest. There is no "need" to have it to progress the story, or complete PoF maps, or anything like that. It's just something to work towards that rewards you with enjoyable movement abilities once acquired. Playing the game, earning gold, and receiving a reward. Imagine that. ;)

Archived