Do you like the scrapper Spec mechanic?

InsaneQR.7412

Yeah i love its utility in fractal, running this with viper gear, condi firearm and explosive, hammer for quick vuln build up and whirl for burst when cool down, along with jump combo, whirl and lighnting, can do and hold 8-10k dps if rotation is good and only with few might stack, but need change for better dps in raid, since in fract i often use support stuff so dps spell has time to recharge.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@insistent.8369 said:Yeah i love its utility in fractal, running this with viper gear, condi firearm and explosive, hammer for quick vuln build up and whirl for burst when cool down, along with jump combo, whirl and lighnting, can do and hold 8-10k dps if rotation is good and only with few might stack, but need change for better dps in raid, since in fract i often use support stuff so dps spell has time to recharge.

What does all of that have to do with the Function Gyro?

@Ardid.7203 said:

@insistent.8369 said:Yeah i love its utility in fractal, running this with viper gear, condi firearm and explosive, hammer for quick vuln build up and whirl for burst when cool down, along with jump combo, whirl and lighnting, can do and hold 8-10k dps if rotation is good and only with few might stack, but need change for better dps in raid, since in fract i often use support stuff so dps spell has time to recharge.

Potentially saving the party from a wipe, and replace a weapons kit for another type of gyro when it gets messy

@insistent.8369 said:

Potentially saving the party from a wipe, and replace a weapons kit for another type of gyro when it gets messy

You are still not adressing the function gyro, which is the class mechanic of the scrapper. Its not about the bormal gyro skills or general scrapper skills and traits. Its about its spec mechanic.

@insistent.8369 said:Oh wait, i didnt notice the fonction one was the one to rez or to finish someone, i though it was the base name for all gyro. But anyway this one saved many butt in fractal where it would be suicide to attempt to reach downed party.

I agree with you that it is useful, its just shallow and does not change the class mechanic in a meaningful way. Its usefullness depends on the failure of someone. They could keep the rezz and stomp function but they should improve the overall usefullness of it because its use is very restricted and has no big impact if everything wents smooth.

I don't think Anet is going to look at a major redesign of the thing at this point. Their time is better spent bringing core up to current standards or creating the next e-spec to bring in revenue. At the very least, a balance patch should add some boons or stat increases to the thing.

Ex: Function gyro adds 50 to all base players stats in a radius

Function gyro provides an auto stun break to allies in radius, on a 10s cooldown

Function gyro grants a random boon for 5 seconds, every 10 seconds to all allies in radius

Something like this may help Scrapper carve out a legitimate support role, and its fairly good at that already.

They need to do SOMETHING with the gryos. They're horribly, horribly weak considering that the things can DIE...which makes them pretty useless in raids/wvw/pretty much all pvp settings. Either all the gyros except the sneak one should be immortal, or buff them to heck.

I lately revisited Scrapper and was super excited to try gyros in pvp/wvw, but then I remembered that all the gyros will die instantly due to how much damage flies around (and considering that Scrapper is melee).

@Curennos.9307 said:They need to do SOMETHING with the gryos. They're horribly, horribly weak considering that the things can DIE...which makes them pretty useless in raids/wvw/pretty much all pvp settings. Either all the gyros except the sneak one should be immortal, or buff them to heck.

I lately revisited Scrapper and was super excited to try gyros in pvp/wvw, but then I remembered that all the gyros will die instantly due to how much damage flies around (and considering that Scrapper is melee).

You quite miss the point here of this thread. Its not aboutthe gyro skills but about the scrapper mechanic which is a gyro. Ofc gyro utilities need a heavy look at them but the function gyro is the worst offender in this regard just because its use is so shallow.

@Frostmane.9734 said:I don't think Anet is going to look at a major redesign of the thing at this point. Their time is better spent bringing core up to current standards or creating the next e-spec to bring in revenue. At the very least, a balance patch should add some boons or stat increases to the thing.

Function gyro provides an auto stun break to allies in radius, on a 10s cooldown

Function gyro grants a random boon for 5 seconds, every 10 seconds to all allies in radius

Something like this may help Scrapper carve out a legitimate support role, and its fairly good at that already.

That's the main problem with balancing/changing Scrapper. The only way you can buff the Function Gyro in a meaningful way is to turn Scrapper into a Passive Boy.

@Samug.6512 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:I don't think Anet is going to look at a major redesign of the thing at this point. Their time is better spent bringing core up to current standards or creating the next e-spec to bring in revenue. At the very least, a balance patch should add some boons or stat increases to the thing.

That's the main problem with balancing/changing Scrapper. The only way you can buff the Function Gyro in a meaningful way is to turn Scrapper into a Passive Boy.

Ive made a suggestion previously without making it passive but making it the F1and giving it different functions depending on heal skill equipped and still keep the rezz and stomp mechanic.

To be honest, it's not the worst mechanic ever. It's just completely pointless in a lot of the game. If it did a bit more, I'd change my opinion of it.

eg.

• mine/harvest nodes
  • revive full-down / dead players and NPCs
  • harass/debuff enemies - maybe just NPCs
  • buff allies
  • provide a passive buff to the scrapper when not in use

@coro.3176 said:To be honest, it's not the worst mechanic ever. It's just completely pointless in a lot of the game. If it did a bit more, I'd change my opinion of it.

eg.

• mine/harvest nodes
  • revive full-down / dead players and NPCs
  • harass/debuff enemies - maybe just NPCs
  • buff allies
  • provide a passive buff to the scrapper when not in use

Making it passive would make it better but not really more interesting or interactive.Overhauling the whole thing would be way vetter IMO.

@"Ardid.7203" said:The scrapper can be good. But the Function Gyro is not a real spec mechanic.

The Function Gyro:

• Doesn't change the way you play. Its more like a not very well designed side function.
  • Requires people to fail to be useful.
  • Is barely visible, lacking any aesthetic impact on the profession.
  • Is vestigial in the vast majority of the game.
  • Is awkward to use.
  • Other professions utility skills outshine it.
  • Many ways of making it better have been proposed, and even the devs have addmited it needed a revision, but it has never happened.
  • Some "fun events" make it completely disappear even in the only mode it sees habitual use.
  • The devs are aware of all this and don't give a kitten about it.

Pure. Disgusting. Kitten.

So very much this.

The function Gyro may as well be a PVP/WvW only thing. If you primarily do solo PVE its useless. I should do SOMETHING in PVE.

I hate how limited builds are in this game. Every elite spec should have some nitch it can fulfill in every game mode.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, it wasn't until I saw this thread that I even thought about it.

I play open world, have four Engineers in my stable, all Scrappers (for the traits), with about 710 hours among them at current count (not all as Scrappers, of course), and used the other gyros plenty, but I've never used the Function Gyro a single time. Not once.

The times when it would actually come in handy are so rare that when they occur, the idea of using the Function Gyro just doesn't occur to me.

I suppose that's an L2P issue, but if so, I'm not alone, because I've literally never seen anyone else use it either -- though admittedly I don't even know what seeing it in action would look like outside my imagination.

I presume it's useful in sPvP/WvW and raiding, but for me, its only noticeable effect is to serve as a slightly distracting apple-like UFO hovering near my head all the time. If it repelled elephants or protected me from Night Elf attacks or something like that, it would be of equal value.

So I guess that decides my vote for me.

@Majic.4801 said:You know, it wasn't until I saw this thread that I even thought about it.

I play open world, have four Engineers in my stable, all Scrappers (for the traits), with about 710 hours among them at current count (not all as Scrappers, of course), and used the other gyros plenty, but I've never used the Function Gyro a single time. Not once.

The times when it would actually come in handy are so rare that when they occur, the idea of using the Function Gyro just doesn't occur to me.

I suppose that's an L2P issue, but if so, I'm not alone, because I've literally never seen anyone else use it either -- though admittedly I don't even know what seeing it in action would look like outside my imagination.

I presume it's useful in sPvP/WvW and raiding, but for me, its only noticeable effect is to serve as a slightly distracting apple-like UFO hovering near my head all the time. If it repelled elephants or protected me from Night Elf attacks or something like that, it would be of equal value.

So I guess that decides my vote for me.

Only time F gyro came in handy for me every was stomping a player when I'm 1v2 or more or ressing someone in similar situation. And even then it sucked unless you gave it stability so it didn't get interrupted. I don't even consider it a mechanic, it's like having an extra skill that you can't rely on.

Hello.I do love the hammer skills on engineer. I just don't accept the fact how much low dmg they do.

At least skill n°2 should have much but much more dmg. Since is the main weapon Dmg skill on the class after auto attack. Even Auto attack should be as good as it was before got nerfed long ago.

This class should never got nerfed the way it was.I don't like holosmith gameplay, and I enjoy scrapper so much, is frustrating the way is placed appart on the game.

We can't have a good spot right now, PvP or PvE we are always bested by any other class. Anyone can simply do everything better then us.

Tank , heal , DPS.

We need a fix on Gyros aswell.

@migcun.5240 said:Hello.I do love the hammer skills on engineer. I just don't accept the fact how much low dmg they do.

At least skill n°2 should have much but much more dmg. Since is the main weapon Dmg skill on the class after auto attack. Even Auto attack should be as good as it was before got nerfed long ago.

This class should never got nerfed the way it was.I don't like holosmith gameplay, and I enjoy scrapper so much, is frustrating the way is placed appart on the game.

We can't have a good spot right now, PvP or PvE we are always bested by any other class. Anyone can simply do everything better then us.

Tank , heal , DPS.

We need a fix on Gyros aswell.

And generally having a useful class mechanic too.

Archived