WvW Server lock out

MaLeVoLenT.8129

@Nevermore.2058 said:Just open the kitten servers!!!yea people gonna stack no matter what you do. at this point the competitive scene is pretty dead so people just want to play with friends and have fun. and although id rather not have 100000000 people on mag i have friends that are on the link right now that would like to get on the main server where the guild is.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just open all servers already, if someone wants to go the top server to win every week and get stuck in T1 and the queues then so be it. If players also want to screw up the game even more by superstacking a server, so be it, there's consequences to doing so and then Anet can just blame them for it.

There's really nothing to win for anyways, all the rewards you get for participation not for server wins. Eventually the people who don't want to fight BG or JQ blobs or queues will move back down to the mid tiers. At this point the tiers should be about what size fights you want, T1 25-50 blobs, T2/3 15-25 zergs, T4 5-25 roamers havoc and the occasional zerg. If people bandwagon to a server they'll find that server up in T1 in no time and won't be bothering the rest of the servers with their blobs.

Idk why even bother with the population balancing anymore like this game mode has any serious competition attached to it anymore other than jumping on bodies.

Let the transfers flow, then the money flows and happy players flow. Natural selection takes over when OH NO my guild can never play WvW because of the 80 man queues! Then guilds start leaving stacked servers.

@XenesisII.1540 said:Just open all servers already, if someone wants to go the top server to win every week and get stuck in T1 and the queues then so be it. If players also want to screw up the game even more by superstacking a server, so be it, there's consequences to doing so and then Anet can just blame them for it.

There's really nothing to win for anyways, all the rewards you get for participation not for server wins. Eventually the people who don't want to fight BG or JQ blobs or queues will move back down to the mid tiers. At this point the tiers should be about what size fights you want, T1 25-50 blobs, T2/3 15-25 zergs, T4 5-25 roamers havoc and the occasional zerg. If people bandwagon to a server they'll find that server up in T1 in no time and won't be bothering the rest of the servers with their blobs.

yea i mean it's basically just BG Mag and JQ that would get stacked. it just sucks for the T2 servers that would rotate with one of the T1 servers because of the 1 up 1 down/mag is already stacked with all the people on DR. what are the chances anet linked most of the ex-hardcore wvw/ gvg players on DR with Mag

It would be helpful to have a constructive discussion on the topic. Without drama or flames.

I know for Tarnished Coast being locked has hurt our server and appears to have been done based on the numbers during the timeframe of the new rewards etc. and not based on actual numbers of dedicated WvW players. The system as it stands does not work well. I would be interested in hearing ideas from players and Anet about what would be a better system, unfortunately I don't have anything to offer in that regard. Opening everything up for a short span of time would be "interesting", but would that fix population imbalance, probably not.

FLO, Guild Leader/Commander [ODIN], a TC Server Admin, TC Council

@Phlogistn.7893 said:It would be helpful to have a constructive discussion on the topic. Without drama or flames.

I know for Tarnished Coast being locked has hurt our server and appears to have been done based on the numbers during the timeframe of the new rewards etc. and not based on actual numbers of dedicated WvW players. The system as it stands does not work well. I would be interested in hearing ideas from players and Anet about what would be a better system, unfortunately I don't have anything to offer in that regard. Opening everything up for a short span of time would be "interesting", but would that fix population imbalance, probably not.

they can open every server but the sad reality is most people are only gonna go to BG Mag or JQ. theres a chance another server may bandwagon but that would require serveral big guilds to go for people to be interested

opening servers wont solve anything other than getting friends onto a server

There's absolutely no point in getting bogged down by discussions about which server should open or close and whatnot. If you look at the list of servers, an inordinate number of them are closed, including every host server except CD. This poses a problem because ultimately, it is the host servers who have actual living server communities, who care about the game mode, who have the majority of the guilds. When you push newer players off to guest servers, you force them out of the game mode itself. Why?

Out of the 13 Open Servers, there are only 2 OCX guilds and 3 SEA guilds across 3 of them. And not a single Daytime NA (EU) guild

I implore you to think of not only NA primetime and all that jazz but also OCX and SEA and EU primetimes. So OCX and SEA players who join, end up on one of these guest servers, and unless they're lucky enough to get onto the 3 servers that have guilds in the timezone. Otherwise, they're forced to join a guild on the host server and end up endlessly transferring to chase their guild. This is incredibly unhealthy for player retention.

Even if the top servers stay locked, at least 8-9 of the servers should be opened up to provide OCX, SEA or Daytime NA players an opportunity to get into the game mode for real.

@MadBomber.3719 said:

@Phlogistn.7893 said:It would be helpful to have a constructive discussion on the topic. Without drama or flames.

they can open every server but the sad reality is most people are only gonna go to BG Mag or JQ. theres a chance another server may bandwagon but that would require serveral big guilds to go for people to be interested

opening servers wont solve anything other than getting friends onto a server

I think actually you are overestimating people's desire to be in T1 pain. One thing they could consider is tokens/rewards and if you are on a higher server you get more tokens to move down, lower server you don't get as many tokens to move up. tokens to be used for some sort of item or legendary.

It honestly feels like ArenaNet's current system has a hard coded value for what they think population ceiling should be, thinking servers will destack. They won't. Use the most populated server as the ceiling and adjust around that. If the population falls the ceiling will fall and put the current hard coded value as the floor.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have this data on hand. But who knows. They're still manually doing server evaluations 5 years later...

Just because there is an expansion out, does not mean the rules need to be temporarily changed for a select group of servers.

When the devs implemented the lowered threshold for servers, it was obviously going to hit smaller servers hard because it takes less population/activity for a server to go full. It does not mean a servers like TC and BG are equal in population and activity, it simply means they are over the set threshold.

If you want a change, ask for an increase in this threshold, that will make it easier for smaller servers to open, and keep the larger ones closed.

When Heart of Thorns was released, servers were opened. This may have been coincidence but many believe the servers were opened because the expansion bringing back dormant players as well as new blood to the game and WvW specifically.

Herein lies the issue; players thought servers were going to open because of the expansion and have had conversations with returning players, potential recruits to their guild(s) and server transfers for guilds to remain competitive in their match-ups.

I have read through multiple forum threads (not Developer responses) and the consensus is that the servers open Mondays @ Daily Reset; so I'd advise many of you to look forward to that time (4-1/2 hours from now) and if it doesn't happen ... well ... we can assume ANET won't open servers unless there's a large enough outcry to do so by their paying customers -or- from the mass WvW community in general. Make sure to thumbs up @MaLeVoLenT.8129 OP and to keep the thread active to voice your concern(s).

While there are good arguments for opening smaller closed servers, realize that many are currently off playing the new PvE content to unlock things that can help them in WvW, so populations are already a bit off from the norm in WvW (at least they are in T4) and Anet's method of calculating when a server should be full is not going to be accurate until WvW populations return to a normal level. I wouldn't be surprised if Anet holds off changing full/not-full status for a few weeks as a result.

@MaLeVoLenT.8129 said:Here we have the release of the expansion making thousands of players return to the game after many many changes to server population and WvW status. They're coming back to the game to find that they can't play with their friends or their guilds during a new expansion in WvW simply because a large percentage of servers are locked. These dedicated WvW players are fizzling out and some servers have been locked for 4 months prior. There is a serious problem with how server status is conducted and there is still a massive problem with population balance. IT seems short sighted for Arena Net to release an expansion and not allow people to play with their friends in WvW. I know this is a big PvE expansion but this is still crazy to me.

I understand that the top end of servers are way to stacked and opening them garners a more stacked server. However the problem was already there and even though the community has cried about this problem nothing was done about it. P.S. There are even half dead servers that are locked.

I like how you say that these are "dedicated" players who just started playing again. Yes, tons of people came back JUST for the expansion (and tons will likely leave in a month). Yes, it seems likely that guilds/friends have bandwagoned to a mega-blob server and now (after being gone for 4 months or more) the dedicated "returning" player can't just bandwagon to the mega-blob server with them.

There is no reason that justifies opening overly-stacked servers so more people can bandwagon to them.

Archived