Does anyone else hate relying on healers/support?

mrauls.6519

@Zunki.3916 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:It's not just that people don't know how to play the game. A lot of people can't. Hell, after a couple of updates and server changes I can't do good DPS anymore. At my apex I only hit about 80% of Snowcrows' numbers, even if I use the same build and same gear and same tactic and same buffs and same rotation. Regardless of how much I practice, it's like that magic 6k additional damage just doesn't exist. I'm not alone in this, either.

This is one of the biggest criticisms I have for the DPS system in this game. It is convoluted and difficult, and thus it is prone to variance from a lot of other places. In an ideal game, peak DPS on a static target should be a reasonable expectation with only moderate effort. The difficulty of the game should come from the enemies and the environment, not from fighting the interface.

The game is balanced around 25%-50% of SC Damage though, I don't really see issues, or are you taggling world record speed clears? Then yes, it's an issue. At qT Damage Levels the difficulty just strait up dissapears. That makes it even more obvious that the game is balanced around MUCH less. Look at their 100cm run, it looks like the greatest joke ever existed, most mechanics are not even there really.

I don't know what taggling means. Please define. It's not about joining speed clears, either: I usually find out that I'm expected to match Snowcrows when someone with no warning starts screeching about the issue after the first or second boss.

For any group activity, you're going to encounter two barriers: the design wall, and the community wall. It doesn't matter how small one barrier is if you can't climb over the other one. Being capable of beating content at 25% DPS doesn't mean squat if nobody will take you. Even if the game eats my inputs, cancels skills it shouldn't, and regularly throws half-second delays between initiating attacks, I'm better off than most. There are still more players who have it far worse than I do. GW2 has become more and more computer intensive as time has gone on, and the new challenges in the game require faster reaction time than the older content did. You don't hear much about it here, because non-raiders tend to stay away from the raid forum, but there are plenty of players who don't do this kind of content because their systems can't handle it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I despise the idea of needing healers, or being a healer, or being locked into a "role" at all, there is nothing worse then a game designed around needing to babysit each other, it's akin to playing half a character. How anyone could even remotely like such an idea as being dependent on needing someone else to enable your game play, I will never understand, but.. you know.. a bunch of players wanted it, so Anet took their really nice system of balanced self sufficient classes, gutted it, and warped it into some hackneyed amalgam of role based game play, and that is what you have to play today. Enjoy!

@"STIHL.2489" said:I despise the idea of needing healers, or being a healer, or being locked into a "role" at all, there is nothing worse then a game designed around needing to babysit each other, it's akin to playing half a character. How anyone could even remotely like such an idea as being dependent on needing someone else to enable your game play, I will never understand, but.. you know.. a bunch of players wanted it, so Anet took their really nice system of balanced self sufficient classes, gutted it, and warped it into some hackneyed amalgam of role based game play, and that is what you have to play today. Enjoy!

It's called teamplay. How can anyone like the idea of playing instanced content not together but as 5 independed entities that would be perhaps even more efficieny alone than in a team?

Also that only applies to raids and even there you can complete many encounters without a healer if you don't get hit by mechanics.The fractal speedrun meta doesn't even include a healer anymore since months now.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@"STIHL.2489" said:I despise the idea of needing healers, or being a healer, or being locked into a "role" at all, there is nothing worse then a game designed around needing to babysit each other, it's akin to playing half a character. How anyone could even remotely like such an idea as being dependent on needing someone else to enable your game play, I will never understand, but.. you know.. a bunch of players wanted it, so Anet took their really nice system of balanced self sufficient classes, gutted it, and warped it into some hackneyed amalgam of role based game play, and that is what you have to play today. Enjoy!

It's called teamplay. How can anyone like the idea of playing instanced content not together but as 5 independed entities that would be perhaps even more efficieny alone than in a team?

Also that only applies to raids and even there you can complete many encounters without a healer if you don't get hit by mechanics.The fractal speedrun meta doesn't even include a healer anymore since months now.

No. Team play is when you play with people because you want to, in fact there is no greater team play and mutual respect among players than when they play together even if they each could do better alone, because then, and only then, they are playing together because they want to, and the group is formed from an appreciation of each other as individuals, and not treating each other simply a means to an end.

Forced Group Encounters, like Raids and CM's in GW2, are not team play and they never will be. They are nothing more than a form of coercion more akin to bribery then anything else, getting people who otherwise might not want to play together, to work together simply for the sake of their own personal gain, because they can't do it alone. That is not Team Play.. it never was.. and it never will be.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:I despise the idea of needing healers, or being a healer, or being locked into a "role" at all, there is nothing worse then a game designed around needing to babysit each other, it's akin to playing half a character. How anyone could even remotely like such an idea as being dependent on needing someone else to enable your game play, I will never understand, but.. you know.. a bunch of players wanted it, so Anet took their really nice system of balanced self sufficient classes, gutted it, and warped it into some hackneyed amalgam of role based game play, and that is what you have to play today. Enjoy!

No. Team play is when you play with people because you
want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
among players than when they play together
even if they each could do better alone
, because then,
and only then
, they are playing together because they want to, and the group is formed from an appreciation of each other as individuals, and not treating each other simply a means to an end.

Forced Group Encounters, like Raids and CM's in GW2, are not team play and
they never will be
. They are nothing more than a form of coercion more akin to bribery then anything else, getting people who otherwise might not want to play together, to work together simply for the sake of their own personal gain, because they can't do it alone. That is not Team Play.. it never was.. and
it never will be

Teamplay also includes splitting the responsibilities so everyone has less tasks but can focus on them more and get a better result. Like in team sports (which is also not teamplay by your definition as many do it for their personal gains).

So all meta events are also Forced Group Encounters? Basically everything that is labeled as a group event?

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:I despise the idea of needing healers, or being a healer, or being locked into a "role" at all, there is nothing worse then a game designed around needing to babysit each other, it's akin to playing half a character. How anyone could even remotely like such an idea as being dependent on needing someone else to enable your game play, I will never understand, but.. you know.. a bunch of players wanted it, so Anet took their really nice system of balanced self sufficient classes, gutted it, and warped it into some hackneyed amalgam of role based game play, and that is what you have to play today. Enjoy!

want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
, because then,
and only then
, they are playing together because they want to, and the group is formed from an appreciation of each other as individuals, and not treating each other simply a means to an end.

they never will be
. They are nothing more than a form of coercion more akin to bribery then anything else, getting people who otherwise might not want to play together, to work together simply for the sake of their own personal gain, because they can't do it alone. That is not Team Play.. it never was.. and
it never will be

Teamplay also includes splitting the responsibilities so everyone has less tasks but can focus on them more and get a better result. Like in team sports (which is also not teamplay by your definition as many do it for their personal gains).

So all meta events are also Forced Group Encounters? Basically everything that is labeled as a group event?

Team sports, on the casual or unprofessional level are done for the love of the game, playing a game of pick up ball at the local playground is no different then playing a game of chess at the park bench, no one gets loots or rewards no matter what the outcome, it's purely for the enjoyment of playing that game, with other people, as such there is no personal gain, so those people are there to have fun with each other, and play a game together, in that venture it is team play.

Unlike Professional sports where playing that Sport is their job, it is what they are doing for a pay check and make no mistake, they are forced to work together regardless if they like each other or not, which means they are not there to have fun and play a game, there are there to do a job, nothing more, nothing less, which makes them no different then a warehouse workers with an assigned position, or assembly line workers each with a specific task. Which makes that style of role designated grouping like a job, you are being forced to do a specific task and work with other people that you may not even like or want to be with, but will put-up with them for the paycheck.

Which brings up another point. I will never understand or fathom why anyone would want to turn a game into a work like environment, that is an abomination to the very core idea of what playing a game is all about.

@STIHL.2489 said:

want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
, because then,
and only then

they never will be
it never will be

Team sports, on the casual or
unprofessional
level are done for the
love of the game
, playing a game of pick up ball at the local playground is no different then playing a game of chess at the park bench, no one gets loots or rewards no matter what the outcome, it's purely for the enjoyment of playing that game, with other people, as such there is no personal gain, so those people are there to have fun with each other, and play a game together, in that venture it is team play.

Unlike Professional sports where playing that Sport is their job, it is what they are doing for a pay check and make no mistake, they are
forced
to work together regardless if they like each other or not, which means they are not there to have fun and play a game, there are there to do a job, nothing more, nothing less, which makes them no different then a warehouse workers with an assigned position, or assembly line workers each with a specific task. Which makes that style of role designated grouping like a job, you are being forced to do a specific task and work with other people that you may not even like or want to be with, but will put-up with them for the paycheck.

Which brings up another point. I will never understand or fathom why anyone would want to turn
a game into a work like environment
, that is an abomination to the very core idea of what
playing a game
is all about.

They can always do something different. They are not forced to work as a professional player.

So your ideal game has 100% solo content that can be completet as a group?

An interesting definition of "teamplay".It sounds more like you do not enjoy this kind of combined play. More like you simply prefer to play next to eachother rather than with eachother which would indeed allow you to crack jokes and enjoy eachother's company but also mean you do not have to take any further responsibility or would have to rely on anyone but yourself.I don't understand why you'd assume all of these efforts to combine one's strenghts, to cover eachother's weaknesses, to play towards each individual's strong points and thus achieve far more than any of them could have done on their own HAS to be done for the sake rewards and only for the sake of rewards. Teamplay means putting your trust in other people, even placing your safety and well being into their hands.It means acting together, taking different roles to be able to support eachother properly. It means working together, achieving things together and ultimately sharing the happiness which comes from achieving your goals.I very much enoy playing old Co-Op games and modes long after I stopped caring about the singleplayer version. Figuring out synergies between different races or classes while playing with friends of mine is probably the most enjoyable part of gaming to me. Strategizing and planning as a team while striving to improve our combined play is what it is all about.

Not to mention that claiming anyone is actually forced to do anything in a "video game" is already rather laughable. Those who force something they do not enjoy on themselves to be able to acquire some virtual trinket have noone but themselves to blame for.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
, because then,
and only then

they never will be
it never will be

unprofessional
level are done for the
love of the game
, playing a game of pick up ball at the local playground is no different then playing a game of chess at the park bench, no one gets loots or rewards no matter what the outcome, it's purely for the enjoyment of playing that game, with other people, as such there is no personal gain, so those people are there to have fun with each other, and play a game together, in that venture it is team play.

Unlike Professional sports where playing that Sport is their job, it is what they are doing for a pay check and make no mistake, they are
forced
to work together regardless if they like each other or not, which means they are not there to have fun and play a game, there are there to do a job, nothing more, nothing less, which makes them no different then a warehouse workers with an assigned position, or assembly line workers each with a specific task. Which makes that style of role designated grouping like a job, you are being forced to do a specific task and work with other people that you may not even like or want to be with, but will put-up with them for the paycheck.

Which brings up another point. I will never understand or fathom why anyone would want to turn
playing a game
is all about.

They can always do something different. They are not forced to work as a professional player.

If they want the rewards from playing being a professional sport player, like big money payouts, Just like if someone wants the rewards from a Raid, they are forced to work together, not because they want to, but because they have to.

You make it sound like you don't know such games already exist, keep in mind, GW2 was skirting that kind of game design from the onset, they chose to change direction to forced grouping and role based group make up's as a reactionary decision from consumer complaints.

Also keep in mind Meta Events are more like Block Parties, or Flash Mob kind of things, then any kind of Team Play, where people would gather with a common goal but everyone was there to just have some fun first and foremost, it was not until the complaints by some players that these events were too easy, and needed to be made into more work like situations that made them into what they are today. Why anyone would want to go into the direction of playing some high fantasy game just to be devalued into being a cog in a assembly line to grind out payment from content as opposed to being able to play for the fun and happenstance or enjoying a game and the company of others simply because you want people around, I will never grasp, but there are apparently enough of these people that play GW2 to get this whole game changed to be more their liking.

It is a tragedy that anyone would want a game like that, But I hope they are happy working at their MMO.

@STIHL.2489 said:

want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
, because then,
and only then

they never will be
it never will be

unprofessional
level are done for the
love of the game

forced

playing a game
is all about.

If they want the rewards from playing being a professional sport player, like big money payouts, Just like if someone wants the rewards from a Raid, they are forced to work together, not because they want to, but because they
have to

You make it sound like you don't know such games already exist, keep in mind, GW2 was skirting that kind of game design from the onset, they chose to change direction to forced grouping and role based group make up's as a reactionary decision from consumer complaints.

Also keep in mind Meta Events are more like
Block Parties
, or
Flash Mob
kind of things, then any kind of Team Play, where people would gather with a common goal but everyone was there to just have some fun first and foremost, it was not until the complaints by some players that these events were too easy, and needed to be made into more
work like
situations that made them into what they are today. Why anyone would want to go into the direction of playing some high fantasy game just to be devalued into being a cog in a assembly line to grind out payment from content as opposed to being able to play for the fun and happenstance or enjoying a game and the company of others simply because you want people around, I will never grasp, but there are apparently enough of these people that play GW2 to get this whole game changed to be more their liking.

It is a tragedy that anyone would want a game like that, But I hope they are happy working at their MMO.

This is why gw 2 in all regard should have single player mode so you can play how you want too

@"Henry.5713" said:Not to mention that claiming anyone is actually forced to do anything in a "video game" is already rather laughable. Those who force something they do not enjoy on themselves to be able to acquire some virtual trinket have noone but themselves to blame for.

I agree, it really is a tragedy that people who wanted role based group forced content didn't just go find a game that already had it available to them, and instead continued to play this game all the while voicing their discontent till some measure was taken to placate them. They really should have followed your advice, and instead ruined a really promising game that could have had honest and fun Team Play as it's core point.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

want to
, in fact there is
no greater
team play and
mutual respect
, because then,
and only then

they never will be
it never will be

unprofessional
level are done for the
love of the game

forced

playing a game
is all about.

If they want the rewards from playing being a professional sport player, like big money payouts, Just like if someone wants the rewards from a Raid, they are forced to work together, not because they want to, but because they
have to

Also keep in mind Meta Events are more like
Block Parties
, or
Flash Mob
kind of things, then any kind of Team Play, where people would gather with a common goal but everyone was there to just have some fun first and foremost, it was not until the complaints by some players that these events were too easy, and needed to be made into more
work like
situations that made them into what they are today. Why anyone would want to go into the direction of playing some high fantasy game just to be devalued into being a cog in a assembly line to grind out payment from content as opposed to being able to play for the fun and happenstance or enjoying a game and the company of others simply because you want people around, I will never grasp, but there are apparently enough of these people that play GW2 to get this whole game changed to be more their liking.

This is why gw 2 in all regard should have single player mode so you can play how you want too

GW2 is basically playable as single player outside of raids and some specific dungeons like CoE where you can't trigger things alone. This game is still a MMORPG (GW1 was not a MMORPG ArenaNet themselves said it, so no useless comparisions).

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Not to mention that claiming anyone is actually forced to do anything in a "video game" is already rather laughable. Those who force something they do not enjoy on themselves to be able to acquire some virtual trinket have noone but themselves to blame for.

I agree, it really is a tragedy that people who wanted role based group forced content didn't just go find a game that already had it available to them, and instead continued to play this game all the while voicing their discontent till some measure was taken to placate them. They really should have followed your advice, and instead ruined a really promising game that could have had honest and fun Team Play as it's core point.

How got this game ruined that you need on some specific raid encounters a trinity? Fractals are perfectly playable without any support even at 99/100 cm. Most raid entcounters don't need a dedicated healer if you can dodge correctly.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Quite a few players did actually leave the game for this very reason. Many more left because of the previous lack of challenging and even remotely meaningful end game content. Some returned later while others did not.It is indeed a tragedy that ArenaNet bothered to provide appropriate content for those interested while not taking anything away from anyone else. Unless we consider removing this game's former status as a "non-trinity" and "non-raiding" game by adding a mostly optinal trinity and completely optional content to be anything close to "taking away".

@Henry.5713 said:

@Henry.5713 said:Not to mention that claiming anyone is actually forced to do anything in a "video game" is already rather laughable. Those who force something they do not enjoy on themselves to be able to acquire some virtual trinket have noone but themselves to blame for.

Quite a few players did actually leave the game for this very reason. Many more left because of the previous lack of challenging and even remotely meaningful end game content. Some returned later while others did not.It is indeed a tragedy that ArenaNet bothered to provide appropriate content for those interested while not taking anything away from anyone else. Unless we consider removing this game's former status as a "non-trinity" and "non-raiding" game by adding a mostly optinal trinity and completely optional content to be anything close to "taking away".

Tearing asunder an existing game of team play, ginormous social events, and individually viable builds, in favor devaluing classes into nothing more then task driven cogs in raids.. is not only a stealing the game from them, it is a disservice to what this game could have become, as opposed to the WoW-light that it has devolved into.

So yes, in this case, there was a theft, the theft of what could have been a great game, with great classes, with fun driven content.. as opposed to the work like situation that exists now.

I\ll never understand why people can't simply enjoy the game they have, as opposed to wanting to turn it into some other game it is not, but lo and behold, that is what we have here.. and it's no wonder there is no contentment among the community.

By the way @"Henry.5713" , that quote by Henry Ford in your signature "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. Henry Ford" is surprisingly fitting for this discussion, as the whole idea of dividing up a complex or large jobs into small repeatable tasks was done because overall people proved too incompetent to be able to handle dealing with the whole task by themselves, which really highlights how I feel about Role Based Classes.

@STIHL.2489 said:By the way @"Henry.5713" , that quote by Henry Ford in your signature "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. Henry Ford" is surprisingly fitting for this discussion, as the whole idea of dividing up a complex or large jobs into small repeatable tasks was done because overall people proved too incompetent to be able to handle dealing with the whole task by themselves, which really highlights how I feel about Role Based Classes.

No one forces you to play a role if you want 10 ppl dps play so

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Henry.5713 said:Not to mention that claiming anyone is actually forced to do anything in a "video game" is already rather laughable. Those who force something they do not enjoy on themselves to be able to acquire some virtual trinket have noone but themselves to blame for.

Tearing asunder an existing game of team play, ginormous social events, and individually viable builds, in favor devaluing classes into nothing more then task driven cogs in raids.. is not only a stealing the game from them, it is a disservice to what this game
could have become
, as opposed to the WoW-light that it has devolved into.

So yes, in this case, there was a theft, the theft of what could have been a great game, with great classes, with fun driven content.. as opposed to the work like situation that exists now.

I\ll never understand why people can't simply enjoy the game they have, as opposed to wanting to turn it into some other game it is not, but lo and behold, that is what we have here.. and it's no wonder there is no contentment among the community.

Now that sounds rather dramatic. There were class-devaluing balance changes long before HoT. There has been a META with specific classes and roles from the start. It simply wasn't as obvious to the casual player. Warriors with banners and later PS warriors, Time Warp mesmers and more than anything DPS elementalists did have their roles defined long before even the developers thought about Druids or Chronomancers. Not to mention the core guardian design which has always pushed them towards a supportive role in PvP and WvW.

About the quote, an interesting way to read it. Though, not one I agree with. Feels more like they went backwards on that idea. The game used to be easier as far as support roles were concerned. Everyone did their small part of said support but nobody was forced to take the full responsibility. This certainly changed and keeps getting worse. The Fractal support Chronomancer (which is mostly played in combination with a warrior and three full damage dealers) comes to mind. They have absolutely everything pushed on them to allow everyone else to focus on damage dealing (outside of a few minor things).The Chronos build the entire car, set everything up perfectly to allow their team to apply a pretty paint job at the end.

And for the sake of fairness, I sometimes miss the former focus on combo fields and finishers even if I do not dislike how things work now.However, evolution is simply inevitable if we wish to stop anything from stagnating. We'd still be using horse carriages if we had refused to let our system of personal transport evolve. There are many downsides to cars but they still allowed our society to do a huge leap. People might dislike certain changes or features introduced with the expansions but they were ultimately needed to allow the game to evolve.

@Henry.5713 said:

Tearing asunder an existing game of team play, ginormous social events, and individually viable builds, in favor devaluing classes into nothing more then task driven cogs in raids.. is not only a stealing the game from them, it is a disservice to what this game
could have become

Now that sounds rather dramatic. There were class-devaluing balance changes long before HoT. There has been a META with specific classes and roles from the start. It simply wasn't as obvious to the casual player. Warriors with banners and later PS warriors, Time Warp mesmers and more than anything DPS elementalists did have their roles defined long before even the developers thought about Druids or Chronomancers. Not to mention the core guardian design which has always pushed them towards a supportive role in PvP and WvW.

About the quote, an interesting way to read it. Though, not one I agree with. Feels more like they went backwards on that idea. The game used to be easier as far as support roles were concerned. Everyone did their small part of said support but nobody was forced to take the full responsibility. This certainly changed and keeps getting worse. The Fractal support Chronomancer (which is mostly played in combination with a warrior and three full damage dealers) comes to mind. They have absolutely everything pushed on them to allow everyone else to focus on damage dealing (outside of a few minor things).The Chronos build the entire car, set everything up perfectly to allow their team to apply a pretty paint job at the end.

And for the sake of fairness, I sometimes miss the former focus on combo fields and finishers even if I do not dislike how things work now.However, evolution is simply inevitable if we wish to stop anything from stagnating. We'd still be using horse carriages if we had refused to let our system of personal transport evolve. There are many downsides to cars but they still allowed our society to do a huge leap. People might dislike certain changes or features introduced with the expansions but they were ultimately needed to allow the game to evolve.

Raids requires specialising. And old meta had classes blocked from group content. Like ranger and necro. Basicly pre hot the meta was pretty much dps.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

could have become

Raids requires specialising. And old meta had classes blocked from group content. Like ranger and necro. Basicly pre hot the meta was pretty much dps.

Considering that there were only dungeons and non-CM Fractals, there was hardly a need for healing or the majority of defenses avaible even back then. Still, Phalanx Strength Warriors have been a thing for years. Mesmers were taken for their portals and WP, thieves were used for their stealth. There have always been roles and certain classes which could be considered a must-have for their buffs and utilities.Raids, with maybe a few exceptions in terms of bosses, could be done in a similar fashion. None of the timers enforce the outmost efficiency which would indeed be running the META. You are perfectly fine without support Druids or Mesmers, Firebrands or Renegades but it requires everyone to adjust their builds a little, to focus on more than just one task.

@Henry.5713 said:

could have become

Considering that there were only dungeons and non-CM Fractals, there was hardly a need for healing or the majority of defenses avaible even back then. Still, Phalanx Strength Warriors have been a thing for years. Mesmers were taken for their portals and WP, thieves were used for their stealth. There have always been roles and certain classes which could be considered a must-have for their buffs and utilities.Raids, with maybe a few exceptions in terms of bosses, could be done in a similar fashion. None of the timers enforce the outmost efficiency which would indeed be running the META. You are perfectly fine without support Druids or Mesmers, Firebrands or Renegades but it requires everyone to adjust their builds a little, to focus on more than just one task.

Then it takes longer since all must focus on staying allow wich would also kick out a majority of classes out the mode like rangers, necromanchers since their dmg is to low if they focus on survival rather than attack . but they could remove the mechanics then zerker meta could return. but gw 2 has always had support the problem was it was ignored in favor of pure dps since why take longer to complete content. Support roles adds more specialised group and also helps group i think they changed was for nearly every build was damage only or like mesmer who was there for their portal not anything else.

Archived