Progression in GW2

1) Install Game2) Swipe credit card for level 80 boost3) Swipe credit card for 200 gold (10 bucks?)4) Boost5) Go to Metabattle and pick a build that looks fun6) Go to any Marketboard and buy all level 80 exotic gear7) Congratulations you've completed Guild Wars 28) Uninstall9) Talk to people on the forums (the true endgame)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:Did you now? Gratz you are the first person I see, that managed to complete a MMORPG.

Why did you buy exo from market? Booster comes with exo gear

Because the exo you get from the boost is garbage and rarely fits any meta build from metabattle

aha, but meta would ask you for ascended! get back to swiping.

5% increase is negligible for the purpose of this thread

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:Did you now? Gratz you are the first person I see, that managed to complete a MMORPG.

Because the exo you get from the boost is garbage and rarely fits any meta build from metabattle

it's not, we talking meta here. Don't let me start on 5/9 infusions

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

spicy

Progression in other ("standard") MMO's:

1. Buy game.
  2. Level up over time, playing out tedious quests designed to waste as much of your time as possible.
  3. Get to max level and do tedious repetition of dungeon A until you are "geared" for dungeon B through ?; then on to raids A through ?.
  4. Once geared, wait for next update so you can do it all over again.
  5. Meanwhile, there are other time-wasting activities like crafting and daily chores available.

Welcome to the MMO genre.

If the point of MMO's is to disguise time-wasting as fun, then what difference does it make if the time-wasting is tied to a "progression" treadmill in which you have the illusion of progression, or not.

After all, all MMO "progression" is is:

1. A system designed to present the illusion of accomplishment.
  2. A system which negates the value of older content, while making sure that current content is "balanced" for your "newest" gear tier.

So, since all progression is is time-wasting disguised as accomplishment, why not just do the time-wasting activities in the game? If you need the psychological trick of progression to make those activities "fun," then they aren't really fun for you.

Fwiw, if you decide not to swipe your credit card in GW2, there is still a leveling/gearing experience available. What's your hurry?

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

spicy

The beaty of GW2 is you can swipe as hard and as often as you wish, that won't get you to complete the game. There are so, SOOO many things where you have to go and do things by yourself, no credit card will help you, unless ofc you buy the Arena.NET.

Are people reeaally doing this? If so, they must hate spamming one or two abilities acting like they're some hero, or pulling worms out of the ground for the local farmer, feels so heroic.

Boost comes with exotic btw. Now I have the grind for ascended gear (it's not about 5%, it's about the agony gating). Luckily this is supposedly better now compared to the previous grind?

Go to metabattle because someone spent months figuring out what talents suck. Then modify the build as you see fit to tailor your playstyle.

Not everyone wants to play a game the same way you do... Isn't it the theme of the game for people to play differently?

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:Progression in other ("standard") MMO's:

1. Buy game.
  2. Level up over time, playing out tedious quests designed to waste as much of your time as possible.
  3. Get to max level and do tedious repetition of dungeon A until you are "geared" for dungeon B through ?; then on to raids A through ?.
  4. Once geared, wait for next update so you can do it all over again.
  5. Meanwhile, there are other time-wasting activities like crafting and daily chores available.

Welcome to the MMO genre.

If the point of MMO's is to disguise time-wasting as fun, then what difference does it make if the time-wasting is tied to a "progression" treadmill in which you have the illusion of progression, or not.

After all, all MMO "progression" is is:

1. A system designed to present the illusion of accomplishment.
  2. A system which negates the value of older content, while making sure that current content is "balanced" for your "newest" gear tier.

So, since all progression is is time-wasting disguised as accomplishment, why not just do the time-wasting activities in the game? If you need the psychological trick of progression to make those activities "fun," then they aren't really fun for you.

Fwiw, if you decide not to swipe your credit card in GW2, there is still a leveling/gearing experience available. What's your hurry?

This is just wrong on so many levels

I can pull so many memories from my brain from EverQuest from 1999-2007. That was a proper MMORPG. I have so many fond and crazy memories from JUST THE LEVELING EXPERIENCE alone. Not to mention the raids, the 27 now? expansions it has. Not even talking about alts or marketplace garbage or glitches or just general fun and danger that world presented.

Because what I said is 100% true on the credit card swiping the developers have effectively denied it's playerbase of any of the aforementioned. You "CAN" do that stuff right? But because the option to skip everything in the game exists it damages the spirit of it. The struggle for power, the climb to it, the journey your character takes after smashing giant rats in for 3 hours to achieve level 5 was something.

The horror you felt when you were running through a huge massive dangerous high level zone was somethingThe fear you felt when venturing through Crushbone as a low level team of noobs was somethingThe community and reputation you had to maintain to find a druid for SoW and or a Necromancer to summon your corpse because you had a mistep in Lower Guk WAS SOMETHINGThe market was 100 % player drivenThe feeling of excitement and adventure when you go through an entirely new zone few people have actual knowledge on was somethingNo mounts, no insta travel, no insta level, no insta boost, no insta insta insta me me me me now now now now mechanics existed

So sir or madam your entire post is just... well it's wrong man. On so so many levels. I could even argue WoW had similar experiences that EQ1 did. The leveling experience means something to actual true RPG players. The me me me now now now kids ruined that whether you admit it or not.

What memories do I have of Guild Wars 2 ? Zerging in WvW? yeah thats fun. Stressing over teammates who just keep walking off point B in PvP arena, yeah super fun. The "map completion" stuff thats instantly trivialized the second you get any amount of power above it's threshold. Yeah ok. What else? I can't think of 1 memory I have in GW2 that makes me go " OH MAN I REMEMBER THAT ONE TIME" not 1

But you already won the game, why do you need gear? Or did the win not actually occur until you bought new gear? Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the timing of the win.

If your only goal in the game is to make a character which is nearly, but not quite, as powerful as they can be then yes this is technically true. But all that says to me is you chose entirely the wrong game. Even if you weren't looking for every opportunity to skip actually playing the game on the way to your goal you'd probably find you finished very quickly and are left feeling like you have nothing left to do.

GW2 has never been about constantly increasing your level, equipment or other things which directly make you more powerful, that's why the expansions didn't raise the level cap or introduce new equipment tiers and why exotic gear has always been relatively easy to get. Levelling up in this game is more like an extended tutorial - it's used to gradually introduce new skills and mechanics and to limit the areas of the game you can access so new players aren't overwhelmed. But saying you've finished the game because you got to level 80 is like saying you finished another game because you completed the tutorial or beat the first boss.

The way I look at it getting to level 80, deciding on a build and getting exotic equipment to match just means you've 'unlocked' the freedom to play as you like and can now focus on whatever you want to do instead of what you need to do to progress. If you didn't skip doing it levelling to 80 would also give you enough of an insight into what's available to know what you want to focus on, whether that's the story, exploration, raids, PvP, whatever.

Er no. I was being glib before, but I have to call this out.

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:I can pull so many memories from my brain from EverQuest from 1999-2007. That was a proper MMORPG.

I started GW2 in Feb 2018, and

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:The horror you felt when you were running through a huge massive dangerous high level zone was somethingI remember my first foray into the Orr region, and of course, my first steps in Verdant Brink

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:The community and reputation you had to maintain to find a druid for SoW and or a Necromancer to summon your corpse because you had a mistep in Lower Guk WAS SOMETHINGPeople in GW2 help others out because they are nice people, not because you've earned any "reputation". Sounds to me like GW2 has a better community.

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:The market was 100 % player drivenNot an economics major, but prove GW2's isn't.

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:The feeling of excitement and adventure when you go through an entirely new zone few people have actual knowledge on was somethingI explored Tyria largely on my own, mainly because the information wasn't as readily accessible as other MMO's I've played. In any case, the knowledge base available is irrelevant as it's your choice to use it or not.

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:No mounts, no insta travel, no insta level, no insta boost, no insta insta insta me me me me now now now now mechanics existedDidn't get my mount until after defeating Zhaitan. The teleport node is just how GW2 works. If you enjoy spending time running from place to place, by all means, don't use the teleport nodes.

So essentially @aswedishtiger.7320 if you don't like GW2, please do yourself a favor and uninstall it, and also don't forget to log out of the forums. Make the choice to be happy, because this forum post is beyond pointless.

I'm not really sure what the OP is trying to say. What does "completed" mean? Do you think having maxed out gear or a mount means you're finished? Well, "play how you want" is sort of a cornerstone of this game, so congratulations but I think you're really missing out. There's a lot to do and I'm quite sure you haven't done it all.

There are ways to skip things if you want, and some people will. That's human nature. But there's zero requirement to do so. Go play a new character from level 1, and it still works just fine. I for one am very far from having completed the game by any reasonable standard, and I've put in over 8000 hours.

I feel like this is true for a lot of people. It's why I don't relate to boosting rather than levelling, buying gold, and adopting someone else's build. All of that is part of playing the game. Getting other people to play the game for you seems pointless, and that's effectively what you're doing when you get other people to provide you all your gold/build/answers to all your questions.

GW2 is a massive environment. If new players would take their time, explore, and build toward goals, they'd find it far more satisfying.

@aswedishtiger.7320 said:The point of this post is simply it's true

I'm not sure what your definition of true is. Most of the steps you listed in the OP are completely optional and steps 7 and 9 are completely opinion based. If you are unhappy with the game you could always play a different one. I get bored with GW2 every now and then and simply play something else until I am no longer bored.

@"aswedishtiger.7320" said:The point of this post is simply it's true

Until someone comes on this thread and says "this is 100% false" I have made my point

or "nope you can't do that it's impossible"

If your view of things is that simplistic I'm not sure it's possible to have a meaningful conversation about any RPG, let alone an MMO. There's a lot more to an RPG, any RPG, than simply powering up your character. That's one aspect of the game but it's often a minor one, and therefore there's a lot more to a discussion about how you progress or complete a game than simply finding the quickest way to get the most basic upgrades.

But if you're going to ignore or disregard any attempt to explain that and keep insisting you're absolutely right until someone tells you that you're absolutely wrong then this topic is going to go no where and you may as well go away and congratulate yourself on "winning" something even more pointless than levelling up in a game.

@"aswedishtiger.7320" said:The point of this post is simply it's true

Until someone comes on this thread and says "this is 100% false" I have made my point

or "nope you can't do that it's impossible"Well the issue is premise you make in step 7. If you think having a level 80 character in full exotics means you've "completed the game", then yes, you can claim you've completed the game.

But that assertion seems somewhat odd, doesn't it? I mean you can do that without completing a single map, or hero point, or heart. You can do all that without completing very many achievements at all (you will get "Golden" for having a bunch of gold in your wallet, go you). Your wardrobe will be kinda spotty and frankly boring. You won't have practiced any fighting skills at all. You'll have met nobody, joined no guilds, tried nothing and done nothing in game at all. Is that really "complete"? I personally don't think so. But that's for you to decide.

Archived