Need More Lore

Aridon.8362

There's too many holes in the world of Tyria, we don't know what happened to Rytlock in the mists. We need more novels to describe the world of Tyria, we don't know much about why we fight each other in the mists, nobody knows why the human gods left Tyria, legendaries have zero reasons for being legendaries other than style points(and it's an epic fail that the claw of Kahn Ur is the only one that does) .I think you get the idea.

The Path of Fire story answers two of your questions - what happened to Rytlock in the Mists and why the gods left Tyria.

I agree it would be nice to have some more backstory for legendaries, but in general I'm fine with having holes in the lore - I think it's unrealistic to know absolutely everything about everything that happened throughout Tyria's history and it both adds a sense of mystery to some events and gives the writers more freedom to tell the stories they want to tell.

Most people enjoy lore, if you don't then feel free to skip it. Good job.

That being said, we don't need every little detail filled in. Part of good fantasy setting is filling in blanks yourself, leaving things up to your own imagination. Legendaries are powerful artifacts, that's all there is to them.

@Aridon.8362 said:There's too many holes in the world of Tyria, we don't know what happened to Rytlock in the mists.Pof sspoilers!

he finds glint, glint teaches him how to revenant, then he finds sword he was looking for and mysterious old man chained up, sword's fire is extinquished old man says he can reignite the blade if rytlock release him from chains and provide meant to return to tyria, rytlock does it and drops in action to the rescue around HoT

We need more novels to describe the world of Tyria, we don't know much about why we fight each other in the mists,well from what I understood there are world similar to tyria in the mists and the borders between them are pretty much perfect recipe for conflict ;)

nobody knows why the human gods left Tyria,

except we know, it may not be reiterated properly in second instalment of the franchise but it is after all explained in gw1 why exodus happened

legendaries have zero reasons for being legendaries other than style points(and it's an epic fail that the claw of Kahn Ur is the only one that does) .

well more of legendaries has some bits of lore behind it especially since precursor colelctions were introduced for core ones. also for legendary that had inlore reasons to be legendary the claw is not only not the only one but also not even the first one - even if we discount couple of first gen legendaries grounded in lore (flameseeker prophecies for example) The Shining Blade came before the claw....

@Aridon.8362 said:There's too many holes in the world of Tyria, we don't know what happened to Rytlock in the mists. We need more novels to describe the world of Tyria, we don't know much about why we fight each other in the mists, nobody knows why the human gods left Tyria, legendaries have zero reasons for being legendaries other than style points(and it's an epic fail that the claw of Kahn Ur is the only one that does) .

So each of these are actually explained quite a bit. Rytlock's journey is talked about twice in Path of Fire, in the story steps The Sacrifice and Crystalline Memories, though we don't know the whole story still; why the gods left Tyria is outright stated in the PoF story step Facing the Truth; legendary lore is actually explained in the new raid Mithwright Gambit.

The TL;DR about the legendaries is that Zomorros is the one who designed them - some, like Verderach, The Shining Blade, Claw of the Khan-Ur, Frostfange, and Eternity were inspired by either other weapons or by legendary figures (you know about the Claw; the original The Shining Blade was a weapon forged by the Seers to combat the mursaat, ruining their ability to slip into the Mists; the original Verderach was built by Grenth shortly after his ascension into godhood and calls upon the souls of those slain; Eternity was wielded by the High Wizard of Orr; Frostfang was Jormag's strongest dragon champion which was slain by Aesgir), but they all ultimately were designed by Zomorros. The same goes for the armor and trinkets. How can he make legendary gear? Mithwright Cauldron. It's lore isn't fully delved into but basically it is an ancient, powerful device that empowers anything thrown inside of it. There's pretty heavy handed hints that we'll learn more about it in upcoming raids as Qadim, a powerful fire djinn, fell into it and was spewed out altered.

@Danikat.8537 said:The Path of Fire story answers two of your questions - what happened to Rytlock in the Mists and why the gods left Tyria.

Technically it explained the end of his journey. He does gloss over how Glint taught him to become a revenant like an afterthought later though, but gives no explanation for how he met Glint, how she knew revenant magic, or where he got his fancy new armor from. Among other things.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

We need more novels to describe the world of Tyria, we don't know much about why we fight each other in the mists,well from what I understood there are world similar to tyria in the mists and the borders between them are pretty much perfect recipe for conflict ;)

What we know about the Mist War is that it is a conflict between three (or more?) alternate Tyrias. The Mist Warriors went into the Mists to gather resources for fighting the Elder Dragons and came into conflict with each other, viewing the other groups as remorselessly evil.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:except we know, it may not be reiterated properly in second instalment of the franchise but it is after all explained in gw1 why exodus happened

I think OP is referring to the silence of the gods that occurs after GW1, which is actually explained in Path of Fire.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:What we know about the Mist War is that it is a conflict between three (or more?) alternate Tyrias. The Mist Warriors went into the Mists to gather resources for fighting the Elder Dragons and came into conflict with each other, viewing the other groups as remorselessly evil.

Where did you hear that? Afaik there's no lore mention at all of why there's WvW or sPvP. The going theory is that is just an extension of the hall of heroes from Gw1.

@Aridon.8362 said:We need more novels to describe the world of Tyria, [...]Agreed!More novels or even short stories could add to the world of Tyria. Especially those places we don't get to visit yet, or places we already visited.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The TL;DR about the legendaries is that Zomorros is the one who designed them - some, like Verderach, The Shining Blade, Claw of the Khan-Ur, Frostfange, and Eternity were inspired by either other weapons or by legendary figures (you know about the Claw; the original The Shining Blade was a weapon forged by the Seers to combat the mursaat, ruining their ability to slip into the Mists; the original Verderach was built by Grenth shortly after his ascension into godhood and calls upon the souls of those slain; Eternity was wielded by the High Wizard of Orr; Frostfang was Jormag's strongest dragon champion which was slain by Aesgir), but they all ultimately were designed by Zomorros. The same goes for the armor and trinkets. How can he make legendary gear? Mithwright Cauldron. It's lore isn't fully delved into but basically it is an ancient, powerful device that empowers anything thrown inside of it. There's pretty heavy handed hints that we'll learn more about it in upcoming raids as Qadim, a powerful fire djinn, fell into it and was spewed out altered.So, you're saying the Claw of the Khan-Ur was designed by an elonian djinn? Or do you mean the version players can wield is an extremely well made empowered replica?Because I'm pretty sure the original on Smodur's desk has never been near the mystic forge, given the events of Ghosts of Ascalon, where Dougal had to retrieve it to get the charr to agree to a ceasefire.

@Castigator.3470 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The TL;DR about the legendaries is that Zomorros is the one who designed them - some, like Verderach, The Shining Blade, Claw of the Khan-Ur, Frostfange, and Eternity were inspired by either other weapons or by legendary figures (you know about the Claw; the original The Shining Blade was a weapon forged by the Seers to combat the mursaat, ruining their ability to slip into the Mists; the original Verderach was built by Grenth shortly after his ascension into godhood and calls upon the souls of those slain; Eternity was wielded by the High Wizard of Orr; Frostfang was Jormag's strongest dragon champion which was slain by Aesgir), but they all ultimately were designed by Zomorros. The same goes for the armor and trinkets. How can he make legendary gear? Mithwright Cauldron. It's lore isn't fully delved into but basically it is an ancient, powerful device that empowers anything thrown inside of it. There's pretty heavy handed hints that we'll learn more about it in upcoming raids as Qadim, a powerful fire djinn, fell into it and was spewed out altered.So, you're saying the Claw of the Khan-Ur was designed by an elonian djinn? Or do you mean the version players can wield is an extremely well made empowered replica?Because I'm pretty sure the original on Smodur's desk has never been near the mystic forge, given the events of Ghosts of Ascalon, where Dougal had to retrieve it to get the charr to agree to a ceasefire.

The second one is correct - it's a replica built by Zomorros.

Now I really want to a) play that raid and b) find out where he got the idea for the Dreamer.

@Castigator.3470 said:The version players can wield is an extremely well made empowered replica.

Fixed that for ya.

Because I'm pretty sure the original on Smodur's desk has never been near the mystic forge, given the events of Ghosts of Ascalon, where Dougal had to retrieve it to get the charr to agree to a ceasefire.

You can easily recreate a weapon from drawings and eyewitness accounts so the Claw being near the forge is not a pre-requisite.

@zerorogue.9410 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:What we know about the Mist War is that it is a conflict between three (or more?) alternate Tyrias. The Mist Warriors went into the Mists to gather resources for fighting the Elder Dragons and came into conflict with each other, viewing the other groups as remorselessly evil.

Where did you hear that? Afaik there's no lore mention at all of why there's WvW or sPvP. The going theory is that is just an extension of the hall of heroes from Gw1.

There was a brief interview during the China release, and there's tiny, tiny tidbits from the Mist Warrior recruiters (though the juicier tiny tidbits came from Old LA Mist Warrior recruiters). Jeff Grubb stated that WvW was "alternate Tyrias fighting for resources to use against the Elder Dragons", while said tidbits gave the "remorselessly evil" viewpoints.

@"Castigator.3470" said:So, you're saying the Claw of the Khan-Ur was designed by an elonian djinn? Or do you mean the version players can wield is an extremely well made empowered replica?Because I'm pretty sure the original on Smodur's desk has never been near the mystic forge, given the events of Ghosts of Ascalon, where Dougal had to retrieve it to get the charr to agree to a ceasefire.

I'm saying that the "legendary gear" (weapons, backpack, armor, and trinkets) that we players get out of the Mystic Forge are designed by Zomorros - either original creations of his, or as replicas of actual weapons with cultural or magical importance. In the Claw's case, it's a replica.

See this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Discarded_Legendary_Relic_Concepts

Where Zomorros wrote up a brief journal detailing legendary gear ideas that were scrapped.

There is only one true Claw of the Khan-Ur, which is sitting on Smodur's desk; there is also an original The Shining Blade, and an original Verderach. But by all indications, there is no original Incinerator, Kraitkin, Predator, etc. The lore of those legendary weapons are "designed by Zomorros ".

As Danikat said PoF answers 2 of those questions, namely what happend to Rytlock and why the Gods left the world.

A real question I still want answered is how Rytlock obtained Sohothin.. the only info we have on that is a statement from Logan that it was looted from Ascalon despite the sword being lost on the Fire Isles.Another question is what the hell happened with it's Twin which Eir reclaimed from Ascalon catacombs and took to some Norn Smith to be repaired and it was never heard from again.

Legendaries don't serve much purpose.. granted the second generation attempted to bring more reason to them but overall few of them have any real significance as far as lore goes.To my knowledge there is no true lore reason for the mist wars.. it's just there for pvp purposes so I wouldn't read too much into it.The mists are in terms of lore incredibly important for many reasons.. but PvP isn't one of them, the only PvP that has any significance in the franchise is the Guild Wars which happened before Gw1.. Hall of Monuments and other lore based PvP stuff from the original Guildwars pretty much doesn't exist in Gw2 which is unfortuante.

You can learn a lot more about Tyria by simply playing the original Guildwars (which I highly recommed because it's still a great game)

@"Teratus.2859" said:Another question is what the hell happened with it's Twin which Eir reclaimed from Ascalon catacombs and took to some Norn Smith to be repaired and it was never heard from again.

is it even confirmed she took the sword?I mean dialogue lines in AC story are likeEir: "oh I know a blacksmith who can fix it"Rytlock: "whytheheckyouthinkit'sworthit"Eir: "it's for logan so you two can be besties again"Rytlock: Eir: "m'kay I guess I'll go to die somewhere north"

I am not aware of any implication that Eir even took madgaer from Catacombs in the first place :/ (which would answer the question why it was never heard off again sort off)

I expect them to give us more details about what happened to Rytlock in the mists one day. Probably they will also tell more about the gods leave Tyria after we defeat one or two more dragons.

But unlike some other MMOs (Warcraft for example) GW2 doesn't really connect PvP, WvW, fractals and legendaries to them main lore of the game. So you don't have to expect much explanation from that side of content.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:Another question is what the hell happened with it's Twin which Eir reclaimed from Ascalon catacombs and took to some Norn Smith to be repaired and it was never heard from again.

is it even confirmed she took the sword?I mean dialogue lines in AC story are likeEir: "oh I know a blacksmith who can fix it"Rytlock: "whytheheckyouthinkit'sworthit"Eir: "it's for logan so you two can be besties again"Rytlock: Eir: "m'kay I guess I'll go to die somewhere north"

I am not aware of any implication that Eir even took madgaer from Catacombs in the first place :/ (which would answer the question why it was never heard off again sort off)

You can see the sword itself during the mission, but after beating Adelbern the sword disappears with Eir. She 100% took it.

And she didn't decide to go on a suicide mission until after her repeated failure in trying to get Logan and Rytlock back together, and trying to make amends with Zojja in SE.

@trixantea.1230 said:But unlike some other MMOs (Warcraft for example) GW2 doesn't really connect PvP, WvW, fractals and legendaries to them main lore of the game. So you don't have to expect much explanation from that side of content.

Fractals are actually pretty heavily tied to the lore; we can place almost every single fractal to a specific time and place in the history of Tyria.

They've always played loose with PvP stuff but there's always been a lore connection (in GW1, GvG was guilds fighting for territory and whatnot; Heroes' Ascent was fighting for glory across the multiverse, etc. etc.). Even WvW has lore to it, even if not much. sPvP in GW2, is pretty much the same as what the fractals are, though why there's combat isn't explained unlike in GW1, as far as I remember.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

You can see
during the mission, but after beating Adelbern the sword disappears with Eir. She 100% took it.

Hrm. I'll double-check the sword, but I know Eir doesn't disappear at the end- she tagged along for all the roaming and screenshot farming I've done after the instance is cleared.

EDIT: Curious. Haven't got in to run it myself, but judging by

, it seems the sword does disappear... not at the end, when Eir would be packing up to leave, but when Adelbern pops in.

Archived