Super Adventure Festival Returns Next Week

As much as I hate and loathe SAB, i won’t deny it everyone else.What I am worried about, is; anet doesn’t have the resources to keep up with the current events. We get 1 per season at best. So, if I see any update on SAB this year, then I know anet doesn’t have their priorities straight. SAB is a secondary content of the game even by festival standards, meaning the core game should always come first, festivals second, and SAB third or fourth

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayakaru.6583 said:As much as I hate and loathe SAB, i won’t deny it everyone else.What I am worried about, is; anet doesn’t have the resources to keep up with the current events. We get 1 per season at best. So, if I see any update on SAB this year, then I know anet doesn’t have their priorities straight. SAB is a secondary content of the game even by festival standards, meaning the core game should always come first, festivals second, and SAB third or fourth

Genuinely curious, what makes SAB secondary to e.g. Lunar new year or FoTW? (but lunar new year in particular, since it is the true definition of budget festival ever since its inception... as it was just few props and recycled stuff from Dragon Bash in S1).

SAB is definitely secondary content, but nothing is as secondary as Lunar new year, imho, since it has no substance of its own (it wouldn't even exist without the Chinese release) or strong contemporary lore tie ins (yes I know its tied to Cantha, but might just as well not be... the tie in that it does have is superfluous at best, unlike Halloween and Wintersday which are top tier festivals).

@Crise.9401 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:As much as I hate and loathe SAB, i won’t deny it everyone else.What I am worried about, is; anet doesn’t have the resources to keep up with the current events. We get 1 per season
at best
. So, if I see any update on SAB this year, then I know anet doesn’t have their priorities straight. SAB is a secondary content of the game
even by festival standards
, meaning the core game should always come first, festivals second, and SAB third or fourth

Genuinely curious, what makes SAB secondary to e.g. Lunar new year or FoTW? (but lunar new year in particular, since it is the true definition of
budget festival
ever since its inception... as it was just few props and recycled stuff from Dragon Bash in S1).

SAB is definitely secondary content, but nothing is as secondary as Lunar new year, imho, since it has no substance of its own (it wouldn't even exist without the Chinese release) or strong contemporary lore tie ins (yes I know its tied to Cantha, but might just as well not be... the tie in that it does have is superfluous at best, unlike Halloween and Wintersday which are top tier festivals).

I agree to some extent with Lunar, it's somewhere between the secondary and tertiary content.The reason i still just put it 1% above SAB is because its at least grounded in the game as a budget version of the Canthan new years festival.But I'll never acknowledge Lunar New year's as such, without Beetle Rollerracing, and gambling events

@"Ari Cee.3591" said:I'm super excited for this festival! Does anyone know if the song used for the trailer is on Spotify? Or even the name of the song? It's kinda cute and catchy.

https://soundcloud.com/arenanet

FYI you won't find GW1 or some early GW2 music there (it lacks almost anything originally composed by Jeremy Soule -- worth an internet search to find out why; it's an interesting story beyond the scope of this thread).

(Also iTunes and Amazon digital music. The "Souletrack" is for sale on Amazon, as well, it's just... not a bargain.)

@Hynax.9536 said:The main question is, new content coming or just the same two worlds as last years?

Would like to second that. I really hope that at least the story is finished and that we know miya is safe. Not gonna ask for the 999th time but, really would like to see w3/4, no real hype if nothing is added, a shame to hang on a dead end... that festival is unique, and should pass before useless lunar new year and four winds (done, nothing to add..). Halloween is the best festival.Those poor festivals are rotting just like activities, it's make me really sad D:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Festivals in GW1 didn’t really get all that many updates so I don’t see why those in GW2 would be expected to have them.

No updates and turning festivals into automated events along the year is a thing, but at least, when they start something they should finish it, it's the bare minimum. After, if they simply release the same festival with some few more achievs/ rewards, I'm perfectly fine with it. As long the concerned festival isn't a draft.

It's just a matter of finishing it. If it bring new content because you updated it from the last year, it's an additionnal pro.

@hugo.4705 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Festivals in GW1 didn’t really get all that many updates so I don’t see why those in GW2 would be expected to have them.

No updates and turning festivals into automated events along the year is a thing, but at least, when they start something they should finish it, it's the bare minimum. After, if they simply release the same festival with some few more achievs/ rewards, I'm perfectly fine with it. As long the concerned festival isn't a draft.

It's just a matter of finishing it. If it bring new content because you updated it from the last year, it's an additionnal pro.

Whether SAB has two worlds or all of them has no bearing on whether a festival is a draft. If Anet had been updating SAB every year then it would be considered a draft by you every year until the final world was released.

SAB is probably one of the more content heavy festivals that we get. Whether it has one, two, three, or four worlds doesn’t matter. Once you’ve done all of the existing worlds, you’re essentially in the exact same place.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Whether SAB has two worlds or all of them has no bearing on whether a festival is a draft. If Anet had been updating SAB every year then it would be considered a draft by you every year until the final world was released.

SAB is probably one of the more content heavy festivals that we get. Whether it has one, two, three, or four worlds doesn’t matter. Once you’ve done all of the existing worlds, you’re essentially in the exact same place.

Nah, if it's under construction, will not call it a draft, if it's sure that you have 1 more world each year. A draft if it has 0 investments in it and stay with the exact same number of world each year. (The case here since 2014)

I agree that is a festival witha great amount of new content, unique one, that's why I'm defending that one in particular.The number of world count, you can't go watch a movie with suddendly a stop at the middle, the projectionnist saying the end.

There is a difference between building-up and be in stasis.2013-14 = building.

@hugo.4705 said:

Nah, if it's under construction, will not call it a draft, if it's sure that you have 1 more world each year. A draft if it has 0 investments in it and stay with the exact same number of world each year. (The case here since 2014)

You may want to look up the definition of a draft.

I agree that is a festival witha great amount of new content, unique one, that's why I'm defending that one in particular.The number of world count, you can't go watch a movie with suddendly a stop at the middle, the projectionnist saying the end.There is a difference between building-up and be in stasis.2013-14 = building.

You can argue that about SAB itself but it has no bearing as to its status as a festival compared to others.

@"hugo.4705" said:Others festival are finished, and don't have 2 worlds non finished ,the end.Every festival has content that hasn't been finished. The only difference with SAB is that we think we know what they might have been intending... which is why they don't usually give us a "road map" to the future: plans change, ideas get adapted or dropped as folks work on implementation, costs evolve, etc.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:Others festival are finished, and don't have 2 worlds non finished ,the end.Every festival has content that hasn't been finished. The only difference with SAB is that we
think
we know what they might have been intending... which is why they don't usually give us a "road map" to the future: plans change, ideas get adapted or dropped as folks work on implementation, costs evolve, etc.

+1Yay, Sab was the one where it's hinted that it was intended to have more worlds (houses in the hub) but yes things evolve don't take every time a specific road.Btw, I would like to know in other festivals what is unfinished because it isn't as flagrant :/

@hugo.4705 said:

@hugo.4705 said:Others festival are finished, and don't have 2 worlds non finished ,the end.Every festival has content that hasn't been finished. The only difference with SAB is that we
think
we know what they might have been intending... which is why they don't usually give us a "road map" to the future: plans change, ideas get adapted or dropped as folks work on implementation, costs evolve, etc.

+1Yay, Sab was the one where it's hinted that it was intended to have more worlds (houses in the hub) but yes things evolve don't take every time a specific road.Btw, I would like to know in other festivals what is unfinished because it isn't as flagrant :/

We'd all like to know what ANet's plans are. They aren't likely to change their policy of waiting until content is done (or nearly so) just to satisfy our curiosity. It ultimately isn't helpful, because, as you can see from your own responses, people act as if things are "unfinished" or potential is unfulfilled or that promises are not kept.

It turns out to have been a tactical mistake to have mentioned W3 & W4 and especially to have included mention of them inside the game. I strongly recommend thinking of these plans as Moto's in-game intentions, and nothing to do with the game we play. If (or when) ANet ever gets around to W3, you'll be pleasantly surprised... and if not, you won't waste time or energy worrying about it.

Paraphrasing someone else's response: it's almost impossible to meet player expectations now. W2 wasn't nearly as well-received as W1. The hardest-core of the hard core expect still more challenges, while even some hard core people gave up on W2 and considered it unfair. Even Josh Foreman was disappointed (despite initial optimism for its initial release and for the changes he pushed through to improve it). I don't mean it can't be done. I do mean that it's tricky to please a large subset of the community at this point, even though the cost to add a world is substantial.

Probably the most reliable way to get ANet to reconsider is to get as many non-SABers into SAB. Help them get started, show them what you enjoy. And help seed a broader base of fans.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:SAB is probably one of the more content heavy festivals that we get....

While this is true, that is in part because SAB wasn't originally intended to be a festival, but LW content (season 1 style, with all its problems and uncertainties that it entailed back then). Also the only reason it is so content heavy is because a dev/devs went and created "too much stuff" for it in one go (at least according to a part of the community in 2013, when W2 came out... that is certainly how Josh felt after all the criticism he got back then).

SAB isn't technically a festival (despite it being forced into becoming one) even now, it is recurring content that comes back on a set schedule, but in terms of lore it is not originally written as a festival in the same way that Halloween and Wintersday etc. were. Crown Pavilion is also sort of in this boat, as it was originally a celebration of Queen Jennah's rule, however, when it moved from its original slot in August(ish) to shared slot with FoTW it became less rooted into a specific time of year (because there is no reason the FoTW can't happen at any time of the year, as the only lore prerequisite is the Zephyrites wanting to trade which just happens to arbitrarily be on an annual basis IIRC).

@Crise.9401 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:SAB is probably one of the more content heavy festivals that we get....

While this is true, that is in part because SAB wasn't originally intended to be a festival, but LW content (season 1 style, with all its problems and uncertainties that it entailed back then). Also the only reason it is so content heavy is because a dev/devs went and created "too much stuff" for it in one go (at least according to a part of the community in 2013, when W2 came out... that is certainly how Josh felt after all the criticism he got back then).

Source?

SAB isn't technically a festival (despite it being forced into becoming one) even now, it is recurring content that comes back on a set schedule, but in terms of lore it is not originally written as a festival in the same way that Halloween and Wintersday etc. were. Crown Pavilion is also sort of in this boat, as it was originally a celebration of Queen Jennah's rule, however, when it moved from its original slot in August(ish) to shared slot with FoTW it became less rooted into a specific time of year (because there is no reason the FoTW can't happen at any time of the year, as the only lore prerequisite is the Zephyrites wanting to trade which just happens to arbitrarily be on an annual basis IIRC).

It falls within lore as it’s based on Asuran technology. It was even referenced in a LW episode this season. If there are arguments against it being a festival then those arguments also apply against the two we get during the summer that you had mentioned.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Source?

• http://joshuaforeman.blogspot.com/2013/09/dealing-with-criticism.htmlThere is also the earlier related blog that I linked to in another thread already but I'll leave it up to you to look it up if you are interested.Edit: also, in a recent Twitch stream (also linked in another topic here, as well as on reddit) Josh mentioned specifically working ridiculous hours during Back to School's development, just so he could put every/more of the ideas they came up with into W2 and that it backfired.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It falls within lore as it’s based on Asuran technology. It was even referenced in a LW episode this season. If there are arguments against it being a festival then those arguments also apply against the two we get during the summer that you had mentioned.

I never said it didn't fit in lore, it does... but in lore it is not a festival so the fact that its tied to April is completely arbitrary (and neither are the other two that I mentioned, with the exception of Crown Pavilion if it had stayed in its original timeslot rather than being bundled with FoTW, so I am having some difficulty figuring out if you are saying anything other than that you agree with me on this?)

@"Crise.9401" said:SAB isn't technically a festival (despite it being forced into becoming one)It's technically a festival, because that's what ANet calls it. They are the first and final arbiters of in-game jargon.In lore, April-ish is when the SAB was first introduced to the world by Moto. That's just as valid a reason for an annual event as any.

If you want to get really technical, Wintersday is annual because in lore, people have always celebrated it, but there's no particular reason for the specific start & end times, other than it's convenient for ANet. In GW1, Lunar New Year starts on the same solar calendar day every year, even though it's a lunar-calendar holiday that varies in its solar calendar start date by up to a month over the years.

So what if SAB started off as a prank? It has as much in-game lore associated with it as the Festival of the Four Wind: they both were introduced as part of LS1 and, on retrospect, made permanent parts of the game, to recur annually, the same month of each year.

For the sake of argument, though... even if SAB's timing is arbitrary and even if it's not a "festival"... what difference does that make in practice?

Josh mentioned specifically working ridiculous hours during Back to School's development, just so he could put every/more of the ideas they came up with into W2 and that it backfired.Josh worked/works ridiculous hours regularly, because that's how he rolls. Sometimes, that works out fantastically (as with some of his JPs and other game ideas) and sometimes it doesn't. He lives to imagine, design, and implement fun stuff.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If you want to get really technical, Wintersday is annual because in lore, people have always celebrated it, but there's no particular reason for the specific start & endExcept that there are very specific reasons for why it is celebrated when it is. Even if the Asura took it over in GW2 for no good reason (but it was inevitable because the gods are not active on Tyria anymore).

Wintersday is a special event that occurs annually which celebrates the Tyrian New Year according to the Mouvelian calendar and Dynastic Reckoning. It is the celebration of the end of the Season of the Colossus and the beginning of the Season of the Zephyr, decided through the outcome of a battle between the gods, Grenth and Dwayna.

Much the same way as Halloween (Mad King's Day) celebrates the return of Mad King Thorn from the Underworld.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:For the sake of argument, though... even if SAB's timing is arbitrary and even if it's not a "festival"... what difference does that make in practice?

It doesn't this whole tangent is as a response to why it is so proportionally content heavy compared to other, more typical festivals. The difference though is SAB wasn't developed as a festival (yes it was originally a joke, however, with Back to School it became living world content), being a festival is just a "safe harbor" for it because it couldn't exist in any other way under the current content model (since it is carry over from S1 model). Most other festivals were developed as festivals from the beginning with the intent of them being recurring festivals, regardless of whether we consider lore or not (which is ultimately not a very significant difference when it is all said and done, but it is the reason why it is proportionally different in the amount of content it has to e.g. Halloween and Wintersday).

Archived