Cantha and Tengu playable race, when ?!

@sorudo.9054 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:Quite clear the dev's only care about what the vocal minority want or dislike/like.On the contrary, if the devs only cared about the vocal minority, we'd have Living World Season 1, no stealth for thieves or mesmers, land spears, no more transmutation (free wardrobe only), and so on.

so the fact that the vocal minority asked for :

For a long time mounts were in the position of new races; They were flat out said "No" too when asked about it. THE ONLY reason they exist is for the mount skins and that is how they justified working on such lovely models. Because people will buy up and eat up the loot-crate like system and sure as heck they did, Races probably don't have that not unless they made race packs and sold them individually outside of expansions.

I never wanted mounts and while cool I don't justify it as something unique that was added, they exist in every game in some form of another so its just this games rendition of it. Again while a cool system and different from other games and their way of doing things I still don't feel like its something I could say "Hey guys come play guild wars 2, we have mounts now." My friends look at me like im nuts and tell me that their game has had mounts, so to them it doesn't matter and it doesn't get them wanting to play.

It doesn't help that they watched me play via stream and saw the tengu, hylek and heck even the quaggan and asked when they could play those races. And I had to tell them they never will be able to. Because at this point I have no faith or belief they will ever happen and im tired of asking for stuff I want; Ill just play the game and see if the next expansion is for me or not. If the spec's don't jibe with me like PoF did I probably won't buy it as at this point I don't care about the majority of gimmicks that the maps have and alot of the armor still looks poopy on the norn.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"sorudo.9054" said:so the fact that the vocal minority asked for :

• raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

is something we can simply ignore?

The point is that you made a claim based on some of the evidence, ignoring the rest. I'm saying that there are vocal minorities asking for all sorts of stuff. And yet ANet adds things to the game that ANet thinks will benefit the community. Clearly, people who ask publicly are going to get some of the things they want. And just as clearly, they (whoever they are) don't get all the things they ask for.

Make a list of all the things that people have posted about on the forums and rank them by number of threads/posts. And you'll find all kinds of things that ANet has and has not delivered. It's a mistake to assume that "vocal" is the only reason these things exist in the game.

Your specific examples don't help make the case. Several are too broad to measure the impact. Several of these were added for reasons that are coincidental to a vocal minority also wanting them.

! Legendary armor was added as an incentive for raids and raids were added to attract and maintain a group of players that otherwise would be lost to other games. It has succeeded in that.!! "Fractals" are GW2's dungeons and lots of people want dungeons. Unless you have stats to back it up, it seems more likely it's the same-sized community in this game as any other RPG/MMO.!! I don't think you can make a case that only a minority want achievements. (Some don't want any, some only want certain sorts, which isn't the same as only a minority wanting them.)!! "Grind" is in the eye of the beholder. I also don't think you can make a case that the grind in the game has changed substantially. Certain types of things have always been draw out. As ANet adds new stuff to the game, it follows more or less the same patterns.!! "Harder to get items" is a concept that also varies greatly with perspective. Some people have always loved it; some have always hated it. What's also true is that some people get bored if things are too-easily obtained. Humans are fickle: we complain if things are too hard and we take it for granted when it's too easy. So a clever studio is always going to offer a mix of things.

I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.

Here's the reality - we should get both Cantha AND original areas through upcoming expansion/LW content.

Leaving Cantha out just because it was used in GW1 would make no sense whatsoever. The place is a lore gold mine AND it has a ton of nostalgia interest and hype generation potential. By the same token, new parts of the world should be developed, moreover, areas from GW1 should be staggered out rather than being put in back to back.

Therefore, I think it would make logical sense to do something new next and then Cantha afterward, since we had Maguuma Jungle and then Elona.

@"Telwyn.1630" said:I agree their is risk of the charr restarting a war against the humans after all the treaty is only temporary, or the charr have a chance to have a khan ur for the first time but their is a risk of a civil war among the charr for who the khan ur well be. either of these two paths happening be interesting. By the way I do not hate the charr, cause I love female charr.

I'm a Norn character but your ideas for the Charr sound cool though I doubt ANet will ever "break" the treaty between them and Humans... one can hope, though. I was thinking about that recently, how the old plot of the barbaric Charr invading Ascalon felt so more real and relatable than dealing with "magics" that pretty much can be retconned into whatever is needed to fill in the story and fighting Elder Dragons that we really only get to experience one at a time.Their alliance with the Titans, capturing Althea and burning her alive, the subsequent journey Rurik undertook into the land of the Dwarves... those stories are just better in so many ways.

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.

Here's the reality - we should get both Cantha AND original areas through upcoming expansion/LW content.

Leaving Cantha out just because it was used in GW1 would make no sense whatsoever. The place is a lore gold mine AND it has a ton of nostalgia interest and hype generation potential. By the same token, new parts of the world should be developed, moreover, areas from GW1 should be staggered out rather than being put in back to back.

Therefore, I think it would make logical sense to do something new next and then Cantha afterward, since we had Maguuma Jungle and then Elona.

Which could be the charr blood legion homelands next.

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.

I don't mind cantha I just don't believe they will do it well with how they said it was when GW2 came out, its a racist hell-hole. Nothing but humans would be welcomed so unless we led a full on war I doubt we would be welcomed in. I would want it more in line with traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean culture and not the Weeaboo crap Im sure would be shoved into it. I would want to see something Akin to the "Dragon Empire" With some heavy references to mythology and the culture, but not necessarily modern or current world stuff.

I don't want nartuo references, or crappy anime stuff shoved in there to be a reference for "Haha see how hip we are." I would want a dark realistic approach to how they state cantha was both in the Wiki and in the art book which is why its so closed off. They are isolationists who hate all non-humans and closed their borders and are fear/warmongers. One of the legends (Shiro Tagachi) Asks what has happened since he had been away, and if you are ANYTHING other than a human you respond with "It expelled all non-humans and closed itself off long ago." So we would need to kill the emperor and deal with the issues there; But we at the moment have plenty to deal with in the current storyline that needs to be addressed first.

• The fallout of Kralk and his shenanigans in the mists.
  • The pale tree and IF she could take mordremoths place.
  • Zojja as a whole.
  • The issues in the norn settlements due to brahams actions with the tooth.
  • The issues with Elona's government and the Awoken becoming welcomed within divinities reach and Lions arch?
  • Orr and what is going on with it, how is it doing since our adventures.
  • Skyscale shenanigans as they might be able to take the place of elder dragons.

Id love to go back to cantha, If they could do it justice and make it good. If it becomes another generic Weeaboo paradise Id be upset because I LOVED the Original and it was the beginning of my Guild wars experience. I don't want some stupid B movie plot with Ninja's and crap running around everywhere; And it being unless your a human there is nothing really there for you. (Kinda like how it felt in Elona.)

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

I don't mind cantha I just don't believe they will do it well with how they said it was when GW2 came out, its a racist hell-hole. Nothing but humans would be welcomed so unless we led a full on war I doubt we would be welcomed in. I would want it more in line with traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean culture and not the kitten kitten Im sure would be shoved into it. I would want to see something Akin to the "Dragon Empire" With some heavy references to mythology and the culture, but not necessarily modern or current world stuff.

I don't want nartuo references, or crappy anime stuff shoved in there to be a reference for "Haha see how hip we are." I would want a dark realistic approach to how they state cantha was both in the Wiki and in the art book which is why its so closed off. They are isolationists who hate all non-humans and closed their borders and are fear/warmongers. One of the legends (Shiro Tagachi) Asks what has happened since he had been away, and if you are ANYTHING other than a human you respond with "It expelled all non-humans and closed itself off long ago." So we would need to kill the emperor and deal with the issues there; But we at the moment have plenty to deal with in the current storyline that needs to be addressed first.
  • The fallout of Kralk and his shenanigans in the mists.
  • The pale tree and IF she could take mordremoths place.
  • Zojja as a whole.
  • The issues in the norn settlements due to brahams actions with the tooth.
  • The issues with Elona's government and the Awoken becoming welcomed within divinities reach and Lions arch?
  • Orr and what is going on with it, how is it doing since our adventures.
  • Skyscale shenanigans as they might be able to take the place of elder dragons.

Id love to go back to cantha, If they could do it justice and make it good. If it becomes another generic kitten paradise Id be upset because I LOVED the Original and it was the beginning of my Guild wars experience. I don't want some stupid B movie plot with Ninja's and kitten running around everywhere; And it being unless your a human there is nothing really there for you. (Kinda like how it felt in Elona.)

I honestly liked what they did to elona, i was heart broken that kamadan isn't a city point but the story made sense, and the city is actually still intact from GW1.also you brought up a point, for many years people where requesting mounts, and now we got mounts. the same thing will happen with cantha.... just wait.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

The point is that
you
made a claim based on
some
of the evidence, ignoring the rest. I'm saying that there are vocal minorities asking for all sorts of stuff. And yet ANet adds things to the game that ANet thinks will benefit the community. Clearly, people who ask publicly are going to get some of the things they want. And just as clearly, they (whoever they are) don't get all the things they ask for.

Make a list of all the things that people have posted about on the forums and rank them by number of threads/posts. And you'll find all kinds of things that ANet has and has not delivered. It's a mistake to assume that "vocal" is the only reason these things exist in the game.

Your specific examples don't help make the case. Several are too broad to measure the impact. Several of these were added for reasons that are coincidental to a vocal minority also wanting them.

! Legendary armor was added as an incentive for raids and raids were added to attract and maintain a group of players that otherwise would be lost to other games. It has succeeded in that.!! "Fractals" are GW2's dungeons and lots of people want dungeons. Unless you have stats to back it up, it seems more likely it's the same-sized community in this game as any other RPG/MMO.!! I don't think you can make a case that only a minority want achievements. (Some don't want any, some only want certain sorts, which isn't the same as only a minority wanting them.)!! "Grind" is in the eye of the beholder. I also don't think you can make a case that the grind in the game has changed substantially. Certain types of things have always been draw out. As ANet adds new stuff to the game, it follows more or less the same patterns.!! "Harder to get items" is a concept that also varies greatly with perspective. Some people have always loved it; some have always hated it. What's also true is that some people get bored if things are too-easily obtained. Humans are fickle: we complain if things are too hard and we take it for granted when it's too easy. So a clever studio is always going to offer a mix of things.

in GW1 Factions was more PVP based, they can easily bring this concept back. combine pvp with pve like they did in factions.cantha can still be a warzone between the luxons and kurzicks.... or maybe not ?there is so much they could do with cantha.

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.They are. Or at least, they are mutually exclusive within any sort of reasonable time horizon that does the region justice. Specifically, we spent 2 years in the Heart of Maguuma (more, if you consider that LS2 is basically covering that area, just a tad east). By the time LS5 launches, it will have been 2 years in the Crystal Desert. Do you think any region should get less?

Here's the reality - we should get both Cantha AND original areas through upcoming expansion/LW content.The reality is what a game studio can afford to do, not what the fans want. "Should" has nothing to do with it.

Leaving Cantha out just because it was used in GW1 would make no sense whatsoever.I can think of no one who has implied that's the reason. What people have said (mostly) is that they'd prefer going somewhere else.

The place is a lore gold mineThe entire planet is a lore gold mine.

AND it has a ton of nostalgia interest and hype generation potential.Nostalgia alone isn't a good reason.

Therefore, I think it would make logical sense to do something new next and then Cantha afterward, since we had Maguuma Jungle and then Elona.It's also "logical" to go anywhere new, since the game already catered to nostalgia.

As I've said many times: I'm all for Cantha... I just want to go someplace else first.

@Nazferatwo.1764 said:

• raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

The point is that
you
made a claim based on
some
of the evidence, ignoring the rest. I'm saying that there are vocal minorities asking for all sorts of stuff. And yet ANet adds things to the game that ANet thinks will benefit the community. Clearly, people who ask publicly are going to get some of the things they want. And just as clearly, they (whoever they are) don't get all the things they ask for.

in GW1 Factions was more PVP based, they can easily bring this concept back. combine pvp with pve like they did in factions.cantha can still be a warzone between the luxons and kurzicks.... or maybe not ?there is so much they could do with cantha.

You know this is something I readily support, alliance/alliance battles and the "Guild wars" Returning as a sub-plot with the main story being us against the canthan government. Plus we could get a ton of new guild halls and a bunch of cool items and vanity things; Could bring in an overhaul to balance as did the original factions and put pvp and wvw on the map so to speak. Do I feel like they might do this with cantha? Absolutely considering A-net wanted so bad to have its pvp in E-sports and probably will be going to double down and try to make sure it gets there this time.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

The point is that
you
made a claim based on
some

which is still true, not ignoring the part where you make claim while ignoring the problem.grind is getting worse with every expansion and chapter added, if you can't see this chance then you seriously need to check the data, they don't lie.fractuals are not anything better then dungeons, it's like saying engineers are the better ritualists, they don't even compare.

the big mistake here is that things are added simply because more and more ppl demand harder content while constantly undermining casuals, this game is supposed to be a casual friendly game but it's turning in yet another WoW grind fest for determined players who have tons of time on their hands.

@"sorudo.9054" said:which is still true, not ignoring the part where you make claim while ignoring the problem.Again, you keep making claims without supporting them. I can't ignore a problem for which evidence hasn't been presented.

grind is getting worse with every expansion and chapter added, if you can't see this chance then you seriously need to check the data, they don't lie.It's up to you to present the data you think confirms your claim. Specifically, to demonstrate that "grind is getting worse," you'd have to establish what grind was in the past and compare it to what it is now. Do we compare all achievements? or only optional+reward?

fractuals are not anything better then dungeons, it's like saying engineers are the better ritualists, they don't even compare.Good thing I didn't say one was better than the other. I'm saying: until someone explains why they are different, there's no sense in distinguishing other than the original dungeons were built with older tools; the new ones (fractals) are built with newer tools.

the big mistake here is that things are added simply because more and more ppl demand harder contentFirst, most things added aren't harder (simply or otherwise).And second, if "more and more ppl" are demanding something, wouldn't ANet be smart to acknowledge that and respond appropriately?

while constantly undermining casuals,How are casual players undermined?I have a friend who is seriously hardcore, to the point where he has all kinds of legendaries and fancy gear... and less than 25 of each of the LS4 currencies. The advantage is to the "casual" player who accumulates mats by doing their casual thing.

this game is supposed to be a casual friendly gameActually, no. It's supposed to be a friendly game. It's thus suitable for casual play.It's never been guaranteed that playing casually would be enough to get everything one wants.

but it's turning in yet another WoW grind fest for determined players who have tons of time on their hands.And here's another claim that is made without any explanation at all, let alone any evidence.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.They are. Or at least, they are mutually exclusive within any sort of reasonable time horizon that does the region justice. Specifically, we spent 2 years in the Heart of Maguuma (more, if you consider that LS2 is basically covering that area, just a tad east). By the time LS5 launches, it will have been 2 years in the Crystal Desert. Do you think any region should get less?

Here's the reality - we should get both Cantha AND original areas through upcoming expansion/LW content.The reality is what a game studio can afford to do, not what the fans want. "Should" has nothing to do with it.

Leaving Cantha out just because it was used in GW1 would make no sense whatsoever.I can think of no one who has implied that's the reason. What people have said (mostly) is that they'd prefer going somewhere else.

The place is a lore gold mineThe entire planet is a lore gold mine.

AND it has a ton of nostalgia interest and hype generation potential.Nostalgia alone isn't a good reason.

Therefore, I think it would make logical sense to do something new next and then Cantha afterward, since we had Maguuma Jungle and then Elona.It's also "logical" to go anywhere new, since the game already catered to nostalgia.

As I've said many times: I'm all for Cantha... I just want to go someplace else first.

Most other MMOs see their worlds basically double in size after being out this long.

In 2012 gw2 had 25 maps. Since then it’s added 24 more pve maps, 3 guild hall maps and 6 raid maps. It’s doubled in size since launch both in number of maps and size of areas added.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zone

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

• raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

The point is that
you
made a claim based on
some

You know this is something I readily support, alliance/alliance battles and the "Guild wars" Returning as a sub-plot with the main story being us against the canthan government. Plus we could get a ton of new guild halls and a bunch of cool items and vanity things; Could bring in an overhaul to balance as did the original factions and put pvp and wvw on the map so to speak. Do I feel like they might do this with cantha? Absolutely considering A-net wanted so bad to have its pvp in E-sports and probably will be going to double down and try to make sure it gets there this time.

glad to see people think like me in here.

I would gladly buy more slots for Tengu (I even have names for each profession picked out), but there are practicalities that have been explained on a weekly basis.

Even FFXIV, with a much tighter team and generous management, had to admit that their new race options were limited because of lack of resources, which has simultaneously energized and disappointed their players. With the way GW2 has struggled, and all the back-work and expanding work it would take, we'll likely never see Tengu playable.

@Rauderi.8706 said:I would gladly buy more slots for Tengu (I even have names for each profession picked out), but there are practicalities that have been explained on a weekly basis.

Even FFXIV, with a much tighter team and generous management, had to admit that their new race options were limited because of lack of resources, which has simultaneously energized and disappointed their players. With the way GW2 has struggled, and all the back-work and expanding work it would take, we'll likely never see Tengu playable.

cool what about cantha hype ?

Cantha is full of Dragons. That in itself should be reason enough. However I think Aurene just flew to tyria not cantha. The only thing that would make sense is being 'closer to the stars' (at the end of the last episode when we looked up at the starry sky) which us canthan fans will know was what Ascension was called in that expansion.
However Cantha as we know it wouldn't exist. I don't know how they could do it and make it passable without a lot of the 'Asian theme' (which was the issue) but I think it could open up lots of possibilities - new PvP Maps, mini games, Fraction wars (which i loved and still wish the charr hadn't become human friendly) and underwater content as the jade sea would be now water. I miss not fighting for towns and cities. I certainly think this game needs a new direction.
And yes I would also buy another slot to have a tengu or another race or maybe three. ;)

@"Dami.5046" said:Cantha is full of Dragons. That in itself should be reason enough. However I think Aurene just flew to tyria not cantha. The only thing that would make sense is being 'closer to the stars' (at the end of the last episode when we looked up at the starry sky) which us canthan fans will know was what Ascension was called in that expansion.

However Cantha as we know it wouldn't exist. I don't know how they could do it and make it passable without a lot of the 'Asian theme' (which was the issue) but I think it could open up lots of possibilities - new PvP Maps, mini games, Fraction wars (which i loved and still wish the charr hadn't become human friendly) and underwater content as the jade sea would be now water. I miss not fighting for towns and cities. I certainly think this game needs a new direction.

And yes I would also buy another slot to have a tengu or another race or maybe three. ;)

Aurene flew to a galaxy far far away...Cantha exist because there where refugees that came to lions arch years ago, plus the books we find all over tyria and elona speak of cantha. (im sure you didn't mean it this way but im pointing it out to all the negative nancy out there crushing dreams eye roll)

true there where alot of dragons in cantha, and culture could change in cantha... due to multiple possibilities that has happened, maybe its more luxon now or more kurzick. the jade sea still stands, there are some exports in lions arch currently. White Crane Terrace not to mention the jade sea fractal.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"derd.6413" said:not in this lifetime

we keep this attitude, we will prolly not see it. wheres your motivation ?

It's not the attitude, it's the truth...there's a reason why the Canthan section of Divinities Reach was removed and the same reason applies why we won't go there anytime soon: China.

i been saying this... what if the culture change ?all that never ending luxon, kurzick war... maybe the sea dragon washed up keining city.think about it, we are talking about a hermit continent, with alot of ideas for the developers to plan out.closer to the stars, kunavang, the envoy, Menhlos resting place...you are all forgetting, this is cantha.this is cantha, this is cantha, and this is canthatell me where does this remind you of china ?cantha can happen.

@Nazferatwo.1764 said:

@"derd.6413" said:not in this lifetime

we keep this attitude, we will prolly not see it. wheres your motivation ?

It's not the attitude, it's the truth...there's a reason why the Canthan section of Divinities Reach was removed and the same reason applies why we won't go there anytime soon: China.

i been saying this... what if the culture change ?all that never ending luxon, kurzick war... maybe the sea dragon washed up keining city.think about it, we are talking about a hermit continent, with alot of ideas for the developers to plan out.closer to the stars, kunavang, the envoy, Menhlos resting place...you are all forgetting, this is
.this is
, this is
, and this is
tell me where does this remind you of china ?cantha can happen.

The fact that the game is marketed in China and NCSoft said Cantha would not be sellable in China because of the Asian influence in the architecture and people, it doesn't matter if it was an amalgamation, ultimately NCSoft still owns ArenaNet and what they say goes.