(Suggestion) Inspect Equipment

Some of the many multiplayer games that I've played that include an inspect equipment feature where it allows you to click on a player and select an option to inspect that players currently equipped equipment. Why I would like this feature is to know the name an item that I would like to purchase without having to ask the player what the name of the skin and hopping to get a response.

This won't end well ...

At first blush you're asking for gear inspect, which the forum posters have been strongly against for years for reasons you may find via forum search. Closer reading says you just want to know the skins, not the stats, which generally is more calmly received but the usual response is to tell you to just ask, or get a screenshot and ask in Players Helping Players, or use your screenshot to check the bank Wardrobe for what the skin is. None of that is as fast as just getting it via the game UI, of course.

Be ready for a lot of quick responses assuming you mean a stat inspect.

Gotta admit, the gear inspect in swtor was awesome. Not only could you see the skins, but also the stats(which in swtor do not have to be one and the same). I assume without looking, that people don't want their gear choices critiqued here? I guess, since arcdps is a thing, it would immediately show whether someone's dps(or lack thereof) was due to the wrong gear. And to follow that reasoning, since you could look beforehand, you could kick or choose not to invite, the person wearing instageared 80 soldiers.

But that said, it'd sure be nice not to have to do the whole 'give me your api key' thing.

@Donari.5237 said:This won't end well ...

At first blush you're asking for gear inspect, which the forum posters have been strongly against for years for reasons you may find via forum search. Closer reading says you just want to know the skins, not the stats, which generally is more calmly received but the usual response is to tell you to just ask, or get a screenshot and ask in Players Helping Players, or use your screenshot to check the bank Wardrobe for what the skin is. None of that is as fast as just getting it via the game UI, of course.

Be ready for a lot of quick responses assuming you mean a stat inspect.

Yeah, it's bordering and a few people will miss that ... but I like his idea. Suggestion is to change the topic to indicate SKIN inspections, not gear.

People have been suggesting a "wardrobe inspection" option since before the game had a wardrobe. I can't recall anyone being opposed as much as nonplussed with the reason stated in some of the other threads: "because I don't want to ask." Personally, any time I've mailed someone saying, "I like the look," they have been happy to share the details (often without my asking for them).

What I'd like to see is "wardrobe templates & loadouts" and the ability to share that via a chat code (would come along for the ride.

While I personally like the idea, please realize that this is one more step which reduces positiv player interaction with each other. I'm not sure removing this (aka automizing and adding annonymity to people interested in a look, even if not wide spread or common) goes along the lines of fashion wars end game.

I occasional get people tell me they like a look my character is wearing. I sometimes adapt looks from sites like gw2style because I like them (less affected by inspection granted) and I have myself whispered people about certain skins.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:I like talking to people who ask about my skins though :(

I feel there is quite a few people who feel this way, especially the ones full into fashion wars and making their characters look as great as possible. Agreed.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:People have been suggesting a "wardrobe inspection" option since before the game had a wardrobe. I can't recall anyone being opposed as much as nonplussed with the reason stated in some of the other threads: "because I don't want to ask." Personally, any time I've mailed someone saying, "I like the look," they have been happy to share the details (often without my asking for them).

and you have a positiv interaction with another player. Even when not asking (due to shyness or w/e reason), players gain a goal to find out what skin something is/was. See the occasional threads where people ask about what some character they saw is wearing. Again leading to social interaction.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:What I'd like to see is "wardrobe templates & loadouts" and the ability to share that via a chat code.

That would probably be a convenient intermediate between inspection, ease of sharing and actualy quality of life. Maybe combined with a build tempalte system... (sorry I couldn't resist :# ).

Archived