Gem store prices

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:● Trading post/Gem StoreI understand that micro transaction is one of the ways ANet makes their money.But a lot of stuff on sale is complete and utter useless, such as a rock for a mini.Most of the skins should be end game prizes, rather than purchases.Name changes, hair and style changes, etc are way too expensive.I didn't find it fare that skyscale and warclaw skins, such as branded come in a pack with others, when instead should be added to their respective pack; and people who already purchase them, should get it free. Alternatively should be sold separately. 2000 gems for a skinpack is an obscene amount of money.Lion chests should give better content. Getting common crafting materials in it is just an insult.Promotions are majorly on stuff that nobody wants or has little to no sales.I know it's called marketing, but I don't think at this point there is much of a choice here.More promotions needs to be done, more often, and stuff people actually want; such as bank storage panes, name changes, shared inventory slots, instant level 80s.Ok, my turn to rant then because I'm getting tired of seeing it.

There seems to be a
massive
disconnect between people that has played the game for nearly a decade racking up 5000+, 10,000+ or 15,000+ hours and people that feel entitled to have all the things
now now now
on the gemstore. You're not meant to see everything and then cough up $300 worth of America monies just because you
need it
. 2000 gems is an obscene amount of money? It's about 800 gold If I'm not too off. People spend 3 times that on a legendary. People have
multiple
legendaries. Some people have
all the legendaries
... and then some people think 2000 gems is an "obscene amount of money".

No, that's just outright silly. As long as we can convert gold->gems, that's not how GW2 works.

There are alot of cosmetics and things I consider
needed
for good gameplay experience - hell I got like 6 bank tabs full of kitten - but as you
play the game for a very, very, very long time
... then you can earn those "end game prices". Because you got gold. And for that you can buy gems. Yes, it may take a month to get that extra character slot. It may take 6 months to kit out that character with all bagslots. It doesnt matter. Even a year is
nothing

So yeah, sure you can spend real money to speed up the time in which you get upgrades and cosmetics for your account. That's fine. That's why it's there, that's how it's designed. But here's the simple truth:
Most of us play GW2 to waste time

May not be a lot to you, but it is around where I live.Just an example. Whilst countries like any in UK, Germany, or France that averages 2 to 3 grand monthly wages, over here is just little over 500.It's a huge difference.Say that again that isn't a lot?2000 gems are €30, which means a 12-14 hours daily shift, worth 2 days of work.Sorry but not everyone is willing to regularly throw away 2 days worth of hard work in a videogame.Which means, I'm not entitled; am I?I've got nothing of entitlement.Been working hard for almost 30 years mate.Just a shame that things are the way they are, and games are a business that needs to make money.I understand that they're not here to give charity to any exceptions, but you have to see it from all different angles.It's no one's fault that my country's economy is rubbish; governed by utter useless people, but hey.Hope that was enlightening at least.

Who is making you throw away 2-3 days worth of hard work on a video game.. unless you didn't read .. you don't have to shell out a single penny if your prepared to be patient, play the game, earn your gold and convert it to gems. Your making drama when there is none to be had.The only thing your being forced to do is decide if you want something and how your prepared to fund getting it, because gemstore fluff has provides zero advantage in game its just cosmetics so there is no reason other than your own desire to look good, have pets by your side, or have a mount with your own taste in pyjamaware.

Hope that was equally as enlightening at the very least

Storage panes, level boosters, etc... aren't cosmetic, are they?Thus, they do help a lot.

Sure they help.. but are you forced to buy them?, to be fair ANET actually give a lot of convenience for free right out of the box compared to some other MMO's out there.Even if you feel forced to buy anything from the gemstore you absolutely don't have to spend a penny.. that is the point, not which items you want to buy.Bottom line, this is a business that is in it to make money just like BMW and their car upgrades... they don't make the car any more of a car its just a buyers choice to have shiny alloys, metallic paint, leather seats and some bright go fast stripes down the sides, at least with GW2 you can experience all that without opening the wallet if you choose to be patient. Its not like gold is hard to come by in the game is it.

Yes yes. You're just saying the same thing you said before.No one has a gun to my head and force me to buy stuff.You're comparing a real life car to a videogame.Thing is, that regardless of what you think.I do care about the game, and I don’t want it to end up like gw1.I hope it lives for a long time. As I said in other posts, gw means worlds to me for many personal reasons, as well as entertainment value.Again, prices are subjective. I think we all established that by now.

If you want to compare, ok.I played games such as combat arms, and it gave chances to get ultra rare weapons free.My brother got a few by completing special events.

Now, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to tell me other than arguing that gem store prices are affordable to everyone when it's clearly subjective.Also you added stuff in there, that I already had said myself.So I'm not sure what you are really trying to get at.I find it's better to sell virtual stuff that has no value whatsoever in real life for a bit less, than to not sell anything at all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Storage panes, level boosters, etc... aren't cosmetic, are they?Thus, they do help a lot.

They help, but you still don't need to get them all right away, and could therefore save up gold (or money or a combination) to get them gradually over time.

I buy 1 bank tab per year and sometimes I've questioned if I really need to do that, because I know there's a lot of stuff in my bank I just need to get on and use or get rid of. I still don't have any of the storage expanders, only 1 extra bag slot and I get enough tomes of knowledge from login rewards and occasional WvW sessions that I'm unlikely to ever need to buy a level booster. I can see how it might appear to a new player that you need all that stuff to play, but I'd ague it would actually be better to avoid buying too many upgrades too soon, in order to work out what you actually need.

Come to think of it the same is true with cosmetics. I discovered the Scion's Claw because I really liked Caithe's Crystal Bloom Sword but thought it would be a bit weird to use Caithe's sword, so I went looking for something similar but more appropriate. A gem store skin would have to be really amazing to justify buying it with so many in-game ones to use instead.

And if you do want something but think it's too expensive, even with gold? Most things go on sale sooner or later, including bank tabs, storage expanders etc.

@Honeymonster.7154 said:Wish I got 2-3 grand a month in the UK lol

I was thinking the same. I assume that's an average worked out without allowing for outliers like 1 CEO who makes 100 times what the majority of their workers earn and pushes up the 'average' for everyone.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Storage panes, level boosters, etc... aren't cosmetic, are they?Thus, they do help a lot.

They help, but you still don't need to get them all right away, and could therefore save up gold (or money or a combination) to get them gradually over time.

I buy 1 bank tab per year and sometimes I've questioned if I really need to do that, because I know there's a lot of stuff in my bank I just need to get on and use or get rid of. I still don't have any of the storage expanders, only 1 extra bag slot and I get enough tomes of knowledge from login rewards and occasional WvW sessions that I'm unlikely to ever need to buy a level booster. I can see how it might appear to a new player that you need all that stuff to play, but I'd ague it would actually be better to avoid buying too many upgrades too soon, in order to work out what you actually need.

Come to think of it the same is true with cosmetics. I discovered the Scion's Claw because I really liked Caithe's Crystal Bloom Sword but thought it would be a bit weird to use Caithe's sword, so I went looking for something similar but more appropriate. A gem store skin would have to be really amazing to justify buying it with so many in-game ones to use instead.

And if you do want something but think it's too expensive, even with gold? Most things go on sale sooner or later, including bank tabs, storage expanders etc.

@Honeymonster.7154 said:Wish I got 2-3 grand a month in the UK lol

I was thinking the same. I assume that's an average worked out without allowing for outliers like 1 CEO who makes 100 times what the majority of their workers earn and pushes up the 'average' for everyone.

Thank you.Finally an actual mature answer, without resorting to insults or telling me to quit playing the game.

I appreciate all the time and thought you put in the answer friend.You have my sincere respect.I've taken everything you said into consideration.You're right.I guess that patience is just not one of my virtues.Thank you again.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:● Trading post/Gem StoreI understand that micro transaction is one of the ways ANet makes their money.But a lot of stuff on sale is complete and utter useless, such as a rock for a mini.Most of the skins should be end game prizes, rather than purchases.Name changes, hair and style changes, etc are way too expensive.I didn't find it fare that skyscale and warclaw skins, such as branded come in a pack with others, when instead should be added to their respective pack; and people who already purchase them, should get it free. Alternatively should be sold separately. 2000 gems for a skinpack is an obscene amount of money.Lion chests should give better content. Getting common crafting materials in it is just an insult.Promotions are majorly on stuff that nobody wants or has little to no sales.I know it's called marketing, but I don't think at this point there is much of a choice here.More promotions needs to be done, more often, and stuff people actually want; such as bank storage panes, name changes, shared inventory slots, instant level 80s.Ok, my turn to rant then because I'm getting tired of seeing it.

There seems to be a
massive
disconnect between people that has played the game for nearly a decade racking up 5000+, 10,000+ or 15,000+ hours and people that feel entitled to have all the things
now now now
on the gemstore. You're not meant to see everything and then cough up $300 worth of America monies just because you
need it
. 2000 gems is an obscene amount of money? It's about 800 gold If I'm not too off. People spend 3 times that on a legendary. People have
multiple
all the legendaries

No, that's just outright silly. As long as we can convert gold->gems, that's not how GW2 works.

needed
for good gameplay experience - hell I got like 6 bank tabs full of kitten - but as you
... then you can earn those "end game prices". Because you got gold. And for that you can buy gems. Yes, it may take a month to get that extra character slot. It may take 6 months to kit out that character with all bagslots. It doesnt matter. Even a year is
nothing

So yeah, sure you can spend real money to speed up the time in which you get upgrades and cosmetics for your account. That's fine. That's why it's there, that's how it's designed. But here's the simple truth:

May not be a lot to you, but it is around where I live.Just an example. Whilst countries like any in UK, Germany, or France that averages 2 to 3 grand monthly wages, over here is just little over 500.It's a huge difference.Say that again that isn't a lot?2000 gems are €30, which means a 12-14 hours daily shift, worth 2 days of work.Sorry but not everyone is willing to regularly throw away 2 days worth of hard work in a videogame.Which means, I'm not entitled; am I?I've got nothing of entitlement.Been working hard for almost 30 years mate.Just a shame that things are the way they are, and games are a business that needs to make money.I understand that they're not here to give charity to any exceptions, but you have to see it from all different angles.It's no one's fault that my country's economy is rubbish; governed by utter useless people, but hey.Hope that was enlightening at least.

Who is making you throw away 2-3 days worth of hard work on a video game.. unless you didn't read .. you don't have to shell out a single penny if your prepared to be patient, play the game, earn your gold and convert it to gems. Your making drama when there is none to be had.The only thing your being forced to do is decide if you want something and how your prepared to fund getting it, because gemstore fluff has provides zero advantage in game its just cosmetics so there is no reason other than your own desire to look good, have pets by your side, or have a mount with your own taste in pyjamaware.

Storage panes, level boosters, etc... aren't cosmetic, are they?Thus, they do help a lot.

Sure they help.. but are you forced to buy them?, to be fair ANET actually give a lot of convenience for free right out of the box compared to some other MMO's out there.Even if you feel forced to buy anything from the gemstore you absolutely don't have to spend a penny.. that is the point, not which items you want to buy.Bottom line, this is a business that is in it to make money just like BMW and their car upgrades... they don't make the car any more of a car its just a buyers choice to have shiny alloys, metallic paint, leather seats and some bright go fast stripes down the sides, at least with GW2 you can experience all that without opening the wallet if you choose to be patient. Its not like gold is hard to come by in the game is it.

Yes yes. You're just saying the same thing you said before.No one has a gun to my head and force me to buy stuff.You're comparing a real life car to a videogame.Thing is, that regardless of what you think.I do care about the game, and I don’t want it to end up like gw1.I hope it lives for a long time. As I said in other posts, gw means worlds to me for many personal reasons, as well as entertainment value.Again, prices are subjective. I think we all established that by now.

If you want to compare, ok.I played games such as combat arms, and it gave chances to get ultra rare weapons free.My brother got a few by completing special events.

Now, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to tell me other than arguing that gem store prices are affordable to everyone when it's clearly subjective.Also you added stuff in there, that I already had said myself.So I'm not sure what you are really trying to get at.I find it's better to sell virtual stuff that has no value whatsoever in real life for a bit less, than to not sell anything at all.

Where have I argued that gemstore prices are affordable for everyone, I didn't (in fact if you look back at some of the threads aimed at skin prices etc, I too have argued the cost can sometimes be silly when comparing against how much an expac would cost for example)... but again you miss the point completely.. the gemstore currency is gems - you don't have to be rich or poor to buy anything, you simply have to play the game convert the gold to gems and buy what you want, making your own argument moot I'm afraid.As for the BMW example I think it highlights what your missing pretty well.. go try putting some upgrades on a new car then consider what you need to do in order to upgrade to your account/characters with all manner of convenience and fluff items including bag slots, LS chapters, character slots, etc, etc… the product is irrelevant at the end of the day, but the ability to upgrade at real cost or virtual cost is clear as day.Your example of special items sounds very much like luck.. we are not talking about getting supa dupa stuff by chance in events or via chests or whatever we are talking about buying from a gemstore which has two ways of purchasing the item.. your wallet or your gold horde.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Edited:Just find a few stuff in gem store a little pricey.Understandably nowadays videogames are businesses that need to generate revenew.

Ofcourse I don't have to buy anything to enjoy the game.However, Everybody's budget is different, and just think there should be sales more often on things that are actually useful, such as instant lvl 80, storage panes, name changes, etc...

Everyone having a different budget is part of the reason for there to be an option to convert gold to gems. You can create your own discounts.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

There seems to be a
massive
now now now
need it
multiple
all the legendaries

needed
nothing

Where have I argued that gemstore prices are affordable for everyone, I didn't (in fact if you look back at some of the threads aimed at skin prices etc, I too have argued the cost can sometimes be silly when comparing against how much an expac would cost for example)... but again you miss the point completely.. the gemstore currency is gems - you don't have to be rich or poor to buy anything, you simply have to play the game convert the gold to gems and buy what you want, making your own argument moot I'm afraid.As for the BMW example I think it highlights what your missing pretty well.. go try putting some upgrades on a new car then consider what you need to do in order to upgrade to your account/characters with all manner of convenience and fluff items including bag slots, LS chapters, character slots, etc, etc… the product is irrelevant at the end of the day, but the ability to upgrade at real cost or virtual cost is clear as day.Your example of special items sounds very much like luck.. we are not talking about getting supa dupa stuff by chance in events or via chests or whatever we are talking about buying from a gemstore which has two ways of purchasing the item.. your wallet or your gold horde.

I like the way you discarded sarcasm and answered a bit more clear and straight foward.Thanks for that.As I replied to danikat, I guess patience is just not one of my virtues. It has nothing to do with entitlement. I just absolutely hate waiting.Never mind.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Edited:Just find a few stuff in gem store a little pricey.Understandably nowadays videogames are businesses that need to generate revenew.

Ofcourse I don't have to buy anything to enjoy the game.However, Everybody's budget is different, and just think there should be sales more often on things that are actually useful, such as instant lvl 80, storage panes, name changes, etc...

well, think about in this way, if you go play something like WoW with a subscription, you are paying every month... so set aside something like $5 a month and reward yourself during birthday and christmas :)

why micro transactions exists and works because it feeds on the human nature of temptations

alternatively, you can save up your gold, and exchange them into gems; I exchanged for 10k gems during the anniversary sales, and now rebuilding my wallet again, slowly and steadily 3-4 hours of gaming time a day, trying to resist the urge to buy anything off TPthough I do have the gold, but I will buy at least $100 worth of gems during christmas just to support the game

GW2 is probably the most player friendly micro transaction based game with the in-game gem trading system

GW2 isn't price gouging P2W like Archage or BDO; I have not personally played Archage, but I did play BDO, it was pretty much minimum $50 per toon to kick things off, and additional things to buy like pets, home NPCs, 30 Day Value Packs, etc, etc, before I realised I had spent $500 within months

@Aaron Forestman.4758 said:Well here's some serious baiting. Most of what you've said is extremely ill-informed, almost like you've read only the worst ranting posts on the forums and then made your own without any game experience whatsoever. Play the game. Every profession and every weapon has its place except maybe the occasional random offhand, which Anet still works to make better. Work for your gemstore stuff either with time at a real life job or in game time or don't buy it. All of these cosmetic things you're hating on are completely optional, so if you don't want that mini pet rock then don't buy it.

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:2000 gems are €30, which means a 12-14 hours daily shift, worth 2 days of work.

Are you working for €2-3 an hour? Surely there's some minimum wage rules against that. This really seems like a trolling post.

minimum wage in many countries is that low.Bulgaria is €3.37Lithuania 3.39Portugal 4.38Waiters in some American states have less than 3$ minimum wage..

so yeah the laws set it that low.

I always thought the prices were par the course and pretty even with other MMOs (WoW $25 mounts, etc) though you are talking to someone who saw Earthtear Cavern in ESO went OMG yes I love it and then saw the $100 price tag attached to it and noped out of that faster than a person shopping for a birthday card and saw the price on the back of the card. So comparing that cash shop to GW2, I can definitely say things feel cheaper on GW2's side of things or at least more in tune with what you get for the price. Add on that you can convert gold to gems, it seems like a better system to encourage both paying with RL money or converting instead of a more one sided just pay with RL money because you'll never get enough gold to gems to get the item.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

well, think about in this way, if you go play something like WoW with a subscription, you are paying every month... so set aside something like $5 a month and reward yourself during birthday and christmas :)

why micro transactions exists and works because it feeds on the human nature of temptations

alternatively, you can save up your gold, and exchange them into gems; I exchanged for 10k gems during the anniversary sales, and now rebuilding my wallet again, slowly and steadily 3-4 hours of gaming time a day, trying to resist the urge to buy anything off TPthough I do have the gold, but I will buy at least $100 worth of gems during christmas just to support the game

GW2 is probably the most player friendly micro transaction based game with the in-game gem trading system

GW2 isn't price gouging P2W like Archage or BDO; I have not personally played Archage, but I did play BDO, it was pretty much minimum $50
per toon
to kick things off, and additional things to buy like pets, home NPCs, 30 Day Value Packs, etc, etc, before I realised I had spent $500 within months

Never played wow.I was going to buy it before I bought GW1, but as soon as the guy at the store warned me about monthly subscriptions, I never did... and I'm glad, I found GW instead.$500 is about a month's minimum wages over here.Heck, you can buy a second hand car for that money.Never heard of the other two games though, but I cannot find myself playing any other online mmo, unless all of the content it's totally free; which is hard to find these days.I never ever did spend anymore money on a game, other than its initial price of purchase.I made an exception for Guild Wars.I don't think I'll ever spend money on any other game.

@crepuscular.9047 said:well, think about in this way, if you go play something like WoW with a subscription, you are paying every month... so set aside something like $5 a month and reward yourself during birthday and christmas :)

or you play a WoW pirate server because you're too broke for a sub and woild never even consider playing a game with a sub.just saying.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:well, think about in this way, if you go play something like WoW with a subscription, you are paying every month... so set aside something like $5 a month and reward yourself during birthday and christmas :)

or you play a WoW pirate server because you're too broke for a sub and woild never even consider playing a game with a sub.just saying.

Is wow worth playing?I genuinely don't know, as I never did.

Consumers have complained about pricing for ages. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Telling a company that their pricing is too high is valuable feedback for the company, and valuable for all consumers... well, at least for all consumers who would rather not throw their money away.

Companies have ignored customer complaints about pricing for ages. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. However, ignoring those complaints does come back to bite some companies. That's why that feedback is valuable.

People who defend a company's right to set prices are correct to do so. That's how business works.

People who attempt to squelch complaints about pricing (by telling the consumer to go elsewhere, or similar variations on "shut up") are acting counter to the interests of consumers in general. You may trust a company not to gouge you. There may even be a few companies out there who don't. However, trusting businesses not to maximize revenue and/or profits is generally a mistake.

Caveat: this is not aimed at those offering suggestions on workarounds, like gold --> gems. That's a public service, not the public disservice the squelching represents.

I love how the justification is always "well it doesn't matter that it's too expensive for you, you don't need to buy it"Ignoring that that's how the game is designed. Otherwise, all those armor skins would only be visible to you and no one else.

Really that excuse boils down to "I'm richer than you and i want prices high so i can show off how rich i am". Which is pretty much a universal constant. Rich people want to show off their money and will spend huge money to do so.

Also makes me wonder how much money anet misses out on because they don't have regional pricing.

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm sure that ANet has done their research and has a much better idea of what price points they need to hit to maximize sales while meeting their financial goals than anyone here on the forums. I don't think it is completely a matter of people showing off their wealth.

If that were true they wouldn't have had to lose a third of their staff.The game targets whales and we all know it.

Valve has published some stats and developers have posted some stats, including gog about the affect of regional pricing on sales. The result is not only positive, but staggeringly positive. Converting entire countries like Russia into payers.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm sure that ANet has done their research and has a much better idea of what price points they need to hit to maximize sales while meeting their financial goals than anyone here on the forums. I don't think it is completely a matter of people showing off their wealth.

If that were true they wouldn't have had to lose a third of their staff.The game targets whales and we all know it.

Finances weren't the entire reason for the lay-offs; I thought everyone knew that. Of course they target whales, but again, they have all of the metrics and all of the facts so what is being said here is pure speculation.

While I wish mount skins were a bit cheaper so I could afford to outright buy them (I'm on disability, so I'm broke), at least if I REALLY want something I can grind for the gold. Often I'll spend $10 on gems and get the rest with gold. On a game with no sub, I don't mind paying for cosmetics. I just wish I had more money! lol

@kharmin.7683 said:

Finances weren't the entire reason for the lay-offs; I thought everyone knew that. Of course they target whales, but again, they have all of the metrics and all of the facts so what is being said here is pure speculation.

They definitely don't have any facts or study for this. The only way to study that is to study the spending habits of every region, and that requires detailed knowledge of every regions economy. Anet does none of that. Anet forces usd currency even in places where that conversion can't even be made.Maybe they could start by sending a survey to every person who's never bought anything on the gem store and ask them why?