Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

On 10/6/2021 at 7:18 AM, Geomazzix.6472 said:

Dear Community,

When playing through the subchapter Undead detection from the char personal story (I believe part of the level 30 story) I get stuck at the end of the dialog of the mission. The dialog queues like usual, plays out just fine. Though after it is finished the screen dissappears and I am stuck with my character in the world - I have the cinematic icon displayed above my head, suggesting that I am still in the cutscene, while that has already finished. 

I remain in this state for about 5 to 7 seconds, until it forcibly disconnects me from the game, telling me I lost connection to the game and I should wait a few minutes before trying again. I've done so throughout the span of 3 days and am still stuck. Is there anyone that could possibly know more on this, or has experienced issue alike?

Regards,

Geomazzix~

While nothing I have tried ever completely fixed the issue, I was often able to get past the points where it always disconnected me by immediately ending the cutscene with the 'skip to end' option in the lower right corner.

I wasn't missing anything since I'd already seen it through once, and it let me continue on to the next part of the story.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I play this game on and off for a while and I am aware that these happen not just to me.

But it seems to have become more constant for me lately. Is there any possible fix to stop disconnecting while doing the story?

It usually happens after a cut scene. 

I hope someone has a solution to this 🙂 It is getting very frustrating......

Thanks!

Edited by Xuto.6803

Hi all. I have been also experiencing constant disconnects. Especially now at the personal story "Forging Pact". I have done this chapter multiple times and it always disconnects at some point after a cut scene.

I have also experienced this before in some of the HoT and PoF stories.....

The only possible fix I have found was to simply skip all the cut scenes. But if someone knows an updated way to fix this, even if only temporarily, I'd love to hear. Skipping cut scenes ruins the immersion completetly.

Still getting disconnects only in story missions, and Anet has basically advised me at this point to go to my ISP but why is it only story missions disconnect me. why is it my internet never drops when i get kicked out of story instances, why is it it only seems to happen just when a cinematic fails to load. 

I'm back to report that joining instances with a friend doesn't help. we both get disconnected when cinematic tried to play and both disconnected. earlier when one of us disconnected we couldn't rejoin as people been telling us. so you guys saying oh juts play  with a friend , that doesn't work!!! only thing playing a missionn with 2 people may help on is finishing it a bit faster maybe lower chance of disconnects but worst part of this, only 1 person gets credit or any items or anything for playing the story mission while 2nd person gets absolutely nothing.

This is completely and utterly unacceptable. Anet needs to allow us to use same checkpoint system as when we die in an instance. Why can't we simply on D/C go from last checkpoint in a mission? This is an on going issue now for 8+ years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is kittening kitten. I'm helping my aunt with the personal story victory or death. 4 times in a row it disconnects us after the same exact cinematic scene every time. It's right after you get the 3rd power core and return to the pact camp. Total kittening kitten. Yea and it's our ISP apparently according to ANET that disconnects me and my friend at same kittening moment 4 timers in a row. yet we have played for days on end without a single disconnect outside of personal stories. our internet never drops. and i work at home 8 hours a kittening day without internet dropping. but yea ANET blames this on my kittening ISP. kittening kitten. I spent weeks going back and forth on tickets with Anet giving log after log, traceroutes and so on, they found nothing that could help me. But clearly all these forum posts are people with internet issues with their ISP. not Anet's kittening game unable to play cinematics properly. 

Support team got back to me on my most recent ticket and again concluded it's my ISP or PC.

"We’re sorry to hear that we haven’t been able to help you reach a resolution for the issue you've been experiencing. At this point, we have gone through all the resources and suggestions at our disposal. We regret that we are unable to continue troubleshooting this issue with you. We recommend that you contact your ISP or local professional for further assistance."

I work from home 8 hours a day using programs that kick me out if i lose a connection even for a second, yet i never ever lose a connection. I can play all day in open world content and never lose a connection. I play an absolute ton of other games, i never lose a connection. Yet i play the same story mission 4 times in a row getting disconnected at the same exact spot in Victory or Death during the 3 cinematics in a row and yet they some how think my ISP or my PC is happening to disconnect me from their servers  at that same exact moment 4 times in a row.

This is kitten. This is a failure of this companies customer support system in forwarding this issue to leadership. I guarantee leadership ether doesn't know about this issue because no one tells them and just tells customers to contact their ISP and mots customers read hundreds of forum posts and reddit posts about this issue and don't even bother submitting a support ticket too. Or leadership of ANET does know but knows it's only an issue with instanced story missions and hopes that once players finish them they simply won't revisit story missions  and therefore there is noi point in Anet fixing the issue that only affects people playing story missions for the first time to unlock game content and masteries because who the kitten would ever bother playing story missions again once they done it once. You get no drops during story missions, the rewards are horrible and not worth the time, and the experience is a joke compared to open world events. The only reason we sit through these missions is to unlock content and mastery points, that's it. And god help anyone who actually tries to do them again for the stupid achievements. 

To all those who said playing with a friend is a solution, it is not, me and my aunt disconnected 4 times in a row at same exact spot of the mission victory or death. Playing with a friend doesn't do kitten, we can't rejoin instance when disconnected and most of time we both disconnect at same time. One time we just got booted out of instance without a disconnect. just appeared back in the open world!

For those of you who have already done all your instanced missions, great, have fun continuing to play GW2 without any further problems. For those of you new to game, be prepared to go through absolute kittening hell redoing missions over and over and over again until anet lets you finish it without kicking you out as there is no solution to this problem. I have tried every single suggestion all over the internet which is dozens from keeping a youtube video open, to minimizing game, to trying different port launch commands, to trying a different DNS server like google, and so on. None of these have worked, people who think these worked likely just happened to get past the story mission getting lucky and moved on with their lives rather then repeated the mission more times to confirm the solution. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday a friend of mine DCed when the game client tried to start the second CS at the end of "To Kill A God".

Today I went along to help him try again and the same thing happened TWICE more at exactly the same point: I saw the first video, the black screen and the second CS .. he saw the first CS and the black screen but then all he saw was a "Skip To End" button over the black screen, pressing it he DCed  .. I saw the second CS start then his character disappeared and I got the "Instance owner has left".

This is such a REPEATED error for large numbers of people it's clear ANet are either incapable of diagnosing or simply DON'T CARE, 4 years of these things happening has given them plenty of time to fix it and the total lack of meaningful posts from them in this thread is clearly proof they have nothing to say, due to ignorance of the cause or because they can't be bothrered!

• 2 weeks later...

Having experienced this myself a number of times, I eventually quit GW2 as the instances are a major part of the game for me.

I check back every once and a while to see if there is some fix that has been implemented.  But I guess the cost to fix this issue is much greater than the number of customers being lost contributes in GEM purchases.

So, nothing gets done.  Be back in six months to check again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the bad idea of doing the story again on a new character and I am getting a black screen disconnect with error code 7:11:3:202:101 (exit with Alt-F4) every time I click the final choice in the dialog with Ftokchak in the Rat-Tastrophe instance (human character in the Order of Whispers storyline).

The only disconnects I experienced in the past were the infamous ones that happen after final cutscenes right before the end of an episode, and a rarer one that happens a few minutes into character creation almost every time. This one is a new one. I tried the workarounds, but I'm losing patience. Goodbye story I guess 😕

Using a VPN stopped my story disconnects completely, but then I began to experience the "account locked for security" part. I no longer use the VPN, and  I now have all the map portal scrolls for my younger characters to use to play in the LW season maps without touching the stories. 😞

GW2 is still my favorite game, and I will still be playing, but those story disconnects ONLY happened in the story parts, never in the rest of the GW2 world or in any other game I play. Since the VPN fixed the issue so well, I cannot believe it is a problem with my PC, Router, or ISP. So....I will just have to skip all the fun stories to enjoy the rest of the game!

as a player who has never finished the GW2 story this is increadibly frustrating.. i get the DC at the end of the story where it fails to exit the cut scence properly and have to do it all again.

Seems the only answer might be to skip to end which is ruining my ability to see the main story and actually still enjoy the game 😞 

I'm having the same issue's. I'm 6 weeks new into the game, new install, new fresh install of windows 10, first time playing story, I have had the issue happen 4 times now, and right now it has happen twice in a row in Twilight Arbor Story mode. I play solo through to the end, then i get stuck with cinematic mark above me, then a second later disconnect. My ping is stellar, cable internet etc, the works.

I have a tight install with my gw2 shortcut running through auto-updater for arcdps and more stuff, i have seen some work arounds that can't actually work for me because of this. I'm just here to report that this problem still exists, and i find it very annoying.

Please unleash some Asura tinkering on to this problem Arenanet, or brute charr engineer power if required. I'd like to actually do these playthroughs in one go, and since they cost about 30 minutes or longer it's no longer fun.

Pintorr Strangelock

seems like a never ending story with the story instances. every one is getting disconnected from cutscenes.
at least good to know that story does not work any more at the moment. 
time for some level 80 tickets XD

may be it would be nice to just disable cutscenes all together 😉 as i get disconnects also from the vista points.

or may be the game engine is at its lifespan limit and unplayable in todays environment.

something to think about.
lets face it, august 2012, since then we had quite some changes in hardware and software. 
this fact could cause a problem with a game this old.

but may be you engeniers can update it somehow so that it stays alive, because i know how it feels to have a game world construckted for this long and now it starts to get complicated due to old software.

final edit:
i was playing on DX11 beta and there seems to be problem rendering the game in that mode and the cutscenes. i played one short mission in that mode 2 times and i got a disconnect to the lobby, at the same cutscene. then i played in DX9 and it worked fine.
i was wrong the very next quest, which takes a bit longer, had the problem at the end. with DX9.
so for now there is really no point in trying longer quests

Edited by Drey.3175

On 10/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, Zengrath.9570 said:

Ok, i finally got a solution after 4 tickets (They keep closing my tickets after a couple days, i don't have time to respond in a couple days due to work etc. and I am not always playing story missions when I am playing GW2, i avoid story missions like the plague unlesss i have to finish them for MP due to all the disconnects!)

The answer i got is my latency is too high. I ran WinMTR for over 30 minutes while i played the last "Hearts and Minds" mission during HoT expansion. That mission is a 3 boss battle that is well over 30 minutes. I got disconnected 3 times last night, on last fight i ran WinMTR per their last ticket.

WinMTR shows an average overall latency of only 32ms with 3139 packets sent, 3139 received, and 0 % packet loss. There is the occasional high 200ms ping but to be honest in all my years of playing  games i don't think i ever seen a connection not occasionally have a 200ms ping, this is common but key is i had 0 packet lost and an average of 32ms. GW2 support gave me 0 solution other then contacting my ISP. are you kidding me. My ISP is not going to do anything. I actually work for my ISP and I know exactly what is going to happen, i'm going to call them which will be a good 30 minute hold usually. They are going to have me trouble shoot like reboot my modem during call even though i do it before i ever call them first, then they are going to send out a tech, find nothing wrong, then swap my modem and all but because i work for my ISP they are going to tell me they can't sway modem for me (my ISP employee accounts can't be edited by anyone but employee services) , I'm going to have to submit a ticket on employee end and swap modem myself after a tech finds nothing wrong. This is going to happen about 3 times of modem swaps and tech visits before they are allowed to escalate to leadership. Leadership knows less then employee's on front lines so they aren't going to find anything wrong and because i have 0 disconnects  working at home 8 hours day, and no disconnects in any other game they clearly aren't going to be able to do anything about this. This is such a Niche specific issue there is no way that there would even be other GW2 players with my specific issue calling my ISP in my area to compare and figure it out, which i guarantee again isn't on my ISP end.  And all this will just risk messing something up further which could effect my working at home connection and that's not something i'm willing to risk, i don't want to start swapping modems and redoing lines in my home to "attempt to fix" GW2's issues that isn't on my end just to risk actually messing up my home connection with all these modem swaps and cable swap outs. Which will just end up wasting my ISP's time and money too which will end up costing my ISP many hundreds of dollars over multiple truck rolls to fix a non-existing issue on their end.

I'm not going to stop the tickets until this is fixed. Most people will quit GW2 or just have friends in the instance. This is not acceptable, i'm not going to bother friends to waste hours of their time playing in my instances just so i can finish the story. If GW2 actually made story missions progress both payers this would actually be somewhat acceptable, but they don't, only the owner gets counted, so if two friends have no choice but to join each others instances  to get passed the disconnect issues they would still have to play each story mission TWICE, one for one player, again for other player. That's not a kittening solution Anet. Contacting my ISP is not a solution, your claiming it's a higher latency when the logs i attached to the ticket confirms its' not a high latency issue and i have 0 packet loss, in fact during that log i got disconnected again from story mission for 3rd time,  no packet loss and average of 32ms latency. 

well that is some thorough investigation on the private side. it seems Arena net has no time to fix such things. may be even because some employees quit. so i have heard. this post should be pinned

• Confused 1

Playing "The Departing"  twice in a row, because the game disconnected at the very end of the mission - a classic. And, of course, no check points, so you have to start all over.

Thank you for the joy! Only happened to me on practically each of my characters over the coarse of five years. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
typo
  • Confused 1

I am getting really pissed about this..

I keep getting disconnects during the ending of a story chapter, why?

I had high hopes for this game coming from wow, I heard the story was awesome. No one told me you will be having disconnects every ending of a story chapter.

Edited by Nektalv.8650

I wouldn't count on this ever being fixed, though future instances may avoid the problem with more checkpoints. Over the years I've only seen a few people actually figure out what was causing it and it always turned out to be other software or hardware. Past causes for example have been BitDefender, Valorant, certain routers and certain network drivers.