Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Tried using any/all of the tips/workarounds found in this thread?

Many have had success with one or the other.

Good luck. 

After going through various tests as I tried completing the personal story, any potential solution I tried seemed to fail as often as it worked. I'm wondering if the issue is just so random that when something "worked" it just happened to be one of the good moments.

Last few times I have been running a continuous ping in the background and not disconnected, but that has more the feel of superstition than solution for the moment.

Closest I have seen to consistency in my playthrough has been that the disconnects have happened during the dialogue cutscenes. I don't know why the game would think me idle enough during those to disconnect.

• Like 2

Anet is just massively incompetent in this regard. not only do they not have the concept of checkpoints in their 20minute story instances, but pray tell why is it that a single spike in latency is enough to completely desync you in an instance? the support I got tried to tell me that the issue is just the latency spikes. Uh no the issue is that a single instance of latency is enough to make the entire set of instanced content just break. Considering I can't play the main content of the game I've given up and have had more fun playing FFXIV. Imma watch this thread in the vain hope that someday Anet will gather up enough competence to fix their content. 

• Like 2

After a tip from a friend, I tried doing the story at a different time of the day. The theory was to do with server load and number of people online. Well I just completed the final story step of Head of the Snake without any issues, but to do it I had to log in and play the story step before work. Every time I waited until the evening to do it, it failed. Not sure this tip will help anyone else, but it worked for me.

Just my personal experiences of what has & hasn't worked with this problem over the last 4 years.

What has never worked:
- Repairing the installation
- Re-installing completely
- Installing on an SSD
- Changing the entire computer (several times)
- Changing the router
- Changing the Internet infrastructure (copper to fibre)
- Changing the Internet service provider
- Updating drivers
- Swapping between Windowed/Full screen modes
- Deleting the game cache/AppData
- Turning the graphics & framerate down
- Changing clientport
- Trying all different 'Content Streaming' settings
- Running a YouTube vid in the background (was getting desperate)

What used to work but doesn't now:
- Spamming movement/power keys during the cutscene

What has absolutely, positively fixed it:
- Using a VPN

No other problems with any other online game. The problem only occurs in cutscenes in instances, I can stand around all day in the open world. The only fix that works for me is to use a VPN. It sucks but it works.

Edited by Tenz.4761
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm started to having dc's through personal stories..! It is so hard to complete a personal story and it just dc's randomly through dialog scenes!

!!Why!!

I have never had those kind of dc's before since last thursday!  12 aug.

It's so frustrating!

1 hour ago, kesuh.3891 said:

I'm started to having dc's through personal stories..! It is so hard to complete a personal story and it just dc's randomly through dialog scenes!

!!Why!!

I have never had those kind of dc's before since last thursday!  12 aug.

It's so frustrating!

Perhaps a windows/graphic card update that you have to roll back then mate.

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Perhaps a windows/graphic card update that you have to roll back then mate.

Nothing have been updated. My comrade in the other end of the country have the exact same issue, but whatever.. I just have to learn to live with it xD
But "funny" thing today is.. There is no problems, so I don't think the issue is at our end..

Going to try complete the Modremoth fight for the 3rd time. This is insufferable.

My internet is fine, haven't had network issues in years. Why don't they just give you a checkpoint or design bossfights that don't last 30 minutes, if they can't fix the technical side of this.

If it fails again im done with this game for awhile, not doing this bossfight a 4th time.

I just want to let everyone know that today is 3+ years later, and the problem still exists.  They literally did nothing to fix the story line cinematic disconnects, and as such, I have had to repeat just about every chapter since turning 80, 2-4 times.  It is beyond annoying.  It is crap.  I have only played for about a month, and this "getting disconnected and having to repeat content" to advance in a story would be why GW2 doesn't get more subs.  They really have a chance to pull some players in from the ActiBlizz fallout, but I will tell you, Blizzard may be a kitten group of people that like to butcher storylines, but they don't make kitten games that dc or use servers that can't handle loading a cinematic.  Get it together Arenanet!

This is my first time through the main story and it feels like every other mission I get a disconnect crash at the end. Now in the lvl80 quests and some of them I've had to do multiple times...doesn't help that they take a long time to do anyway and are fairly repetitive.

This is after a repair, skipping conversations, spamming buttons during the cutscenes, and so on.

It's not exactly world-shatteringly important, but it's really ruining the game for me to be honest. And I can't really recommend it to others, which I'd like to, when they might have to repeat the quests 2, 3, 4 times over.

Running the level 60 personal story with two other people last night. After the final cutscene in some of the parts, one or two of us would be disconnected. Luckily, it was never the person whose story was being run, so we did not need to repeat anything, but still.

(Also luckily, I was never one of the ones disconnected. I have been disconnected so many times in the past, though, I've developed a superstitious twitch. During the cutscene dialogue, I keep moving my mouse and clicking around the screen. Does this help? Probably not. But I didn't disconnect, so the superstition has been reinforced in my mind. 😛)

Alright. It's 2 am I should be asleep but I'm playing this damned game so I'm gonna moan about it.

Picture the scene, you've gone through a whole instance heard the dialogue, fought the boss, done it's little mechanic, you reach the end aaaand Disconnect.

You gotta do it all over again. This can happen again and again, until it randomly works again. This has happened to me sooo many times and is currently happening again on the 'Frozen Out'  instance in Season 3 and always in the same spot. Right at the end. 

There has to be a better way to do this. There needs to be. Playing through the story can already feel like a chore sometimes, but when I'm playing and I'm actually starting to invest, Disconnect.

Maybe have an option to download the instance to play 'offline' or have those check points save your progress at that point some how. I don't know, something, anything. There's need to be a pillow to land on, because this is rogue design. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

I mean it sucks to get DCd in any game, but the story instances are what like ~20 minutes tops? 

If your frequently getting DCd you might want to do some troubleshooting there, but having it happen once shouldn't set someone off to the point of making a forum post.

Nah don't assume details, it ain't my connection because it works fine any where in the game. I don't disconnect it's usually only with story instances.

Some are long and yeah maybe not a long time, but has and have had this happen to me multiply times and I'm sure it happens to others. Would be a massive QoL and would just help the playability of the story missions. Especially if connection is spotty.

Yep, people do suffer from DCs but it's over all a fairly small percentage of the playerbase. I'm sure Anet has tried to fix this but can't always repeat it and that's the problem.

I've done every story in the game on 15 characters and  I've never disconnected from a story. Why a few people disconnect anothers don't, I can't imagine, but there have been a lot of creative theories over the years.

I agree with you about checkpoints. It wouldn't solve the crashing, but it would make it less painful.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Hmm, it happens way more than once.  Jus the other day, one of my housemates was playing an S4 episode that took a lot longer than 20 minutes.  At the end, DC'd while the long-winded NPC's were pontificating.  He repeated the episode.  This time, it completed but he didn't get credit for something related towards the new stuff (whatever it was), even though he met the requirements.  So, he ended up doing it a third time.

As far as troubleshooting, yeah. Tried lots of things.  I play a lot of games.  GW2 is the only one which DC's in instances.  I don't really do story anymore, and the DC's are one big reason why not.  Based on the number of comments in the many threads on instance DC, the OP and I are nowhere near alone.  I doubt we're anything close to a majority, but I also don't doubt the number of people who experience this crap is significant.

It seems to me that when ANet was creating the underpinnings of the game, their heads were in the clouds.  Way too much, "Golly gee, this is great!" and not enough, "What can we do to ensure that there are systems built into the game whereby we can fix the problems that will inevitably arise."  Instance structure seems to be one.  Their lack of foresight to build an effects slider in a game that features content designed to attract large numbers of players while simultaneously building a lot of flashy effects into skills is another.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
  • Like 3