Praise for Path of Fire

I know that I'm probably the last person to the party, but after being away from the game for years, I have to give my praise for Path of Fire. There is just so much to enjoy, and I haven't even gotten to the Living Story for it yet.

-The music: What a fantastic score. It is the first thing that jumped out at me when starting the Path of Fire story. My favourite track is the 'Sands of Chaos' battle music.-The story: I'm greatly enjoying how Path of Fire revisits classic Guild Wars lore. The writing is much improved with way better (and likable) characters and dialogue.-The map design: The explorables are just a joy to explore. They are so rich of content and look beautiful. The designers have really outdone themselves.-Boss battles: Right from the start the game throws a lot of great boss battles at you. Not too hard, but definitely of a higher difficulty, with multiple phases and well telegraphed attacks.

The best moment so far has been the Doppleganger event, where during my first ever experience with it, a furious Doppleganger of myself came rushing towards me across the hills. This Doppleganger then proceeded to be a scourge on the map; killing dozens of players, while being assisted by a Doppleganger of Daniel Frozenwind! You just can't make this up.

maldan-vs-maldan.png

While I do like PoF because it was a return to classic GW2 after the struggles of Orr, the Maguuma Wastes and Heart of Maguuma, I also feel like that ship has sailed, with all of the casual maps in both PoF and LS4 it feels like ArenaNet has exhausted what they can do with it.

Afterall, between Central Tyria, PoF and LS4, the majority of the game is now like that.

I have a feeling that LS5 will be alot more like HoT, Dragonfall and Grothmar Valley are already less casual and completely event driven. It's just a system that works better for expansion, for bringing in new players because its more interesting than just exploring and doing hearts. As much as people love those things (I do), the majority want action, narrative, and to feel like they are a part of something bigger.

For future casual play I would like for ArenaNet to go back and try to modernise Central Tyria somewhat, but I'm not sure if they'd ever do that because its F2P and with the game being seven years old they probably don't care about player uptake anymore