Now that the Beetle can crush everything in the Wintersday Race

Dezzie.5903

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Personally, with all the super-tight turns, I get a much faster time on a Raptor than a Roller Beetle.Heck, I get a much faster time on foot than with a Roller Beetle. Lol.

Me trying this on a roller beetle would have me botching a tight turn and flying off the side of a ramp to end up on the other side of town from the race. :)

Beetle is available to all plays that bought an expac and unlocked related living world episode. The upgraded raptor is from expac purchase too. The rental raptor (non upgraded) is there for rental purposes for the f2p player that otherwise could not race at all... Its only there to be able to participate (not to win in a top 3). Beetle indeed is no auto-win as mentioned either (I also prefer raptor and did get top 3 with it this year).

I prefer the raptor for this race, but I use the beetle. Even though I clip walls or even ram into a full stop on turns, the beetle kills on the straight-aways & downhill sections. I thought the raptor would be a no brainer, but I got smoked by two beetle riders by at ~20 seconds. So I tried the beetle on a time trial and bettered my best time by about 16 seconds. That was with a great deal of crashing and overshooting. There really isn't a race anymore that the beetle doesn't own, unless it involves flying, vertical jumps, or sand portals.

Rental beetle would most likely be very bad due to lack of a certain mastery that enables endurance regeneration based on sudden collisions. Yes, smashing into walls at full speed on a fully mastered beetle regenerates endurance which enables more boosting on a track with no endurance boost power ups at all.

There's no point, you can get gold (2:30) even on Jackal, as long as you have Bond of Vigor, albeit just barely. And Raptor is even faster than that , though possibly not in this race specifically due to how many uphill areas there are..

Galaxy brain is that you can switch mounts mid-race. If you can get them to actually load, at least..

@"Jaquelidor.2618" said:Can the mount rental person be switched from Raptor to Beetle next year? Or at least add a Beetle rental option?

The Beetle isn't winning by a slim margin. To paraphrase a well-known quote from horse-racing: "Beetle first, the rest nowhere."

its only doing so...with masteries...the basic beetle would likely not be able to take the turns well at all as you can't drift.

With some fine tuning I managed to get 2:28 on Jackal by literally just using Bond of Vigor and dashing through circles, nothing special.

When I tested the Raptor it was still faster despite the upper inclines, just don't waste endurance on them unless you're full, and try to only leap when you're at least half endurance, because if you leap too often you lose forward momentum.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:No kidding! I'd never have guessed.

Then why advertize the Raptor, which is a worse choice than the Jackal on most sections of the race track?

I guess that when they added this race (and halloween lab one) they liked to include as many pof players as possible. I don't know if I already had access to the jackal when wintersday festival popped (as you did need to progress in story and get masteries (rapter> bunny > skimmer > jackal) and pof content wasn't out long yet). Since raptor is 1st mount I guess they chose for this mount on purpose. The 1st year we did not have rental mounts yet if I'm not mistaken but I'm not 100% sure on this).

As for Inculpatus choice of mount, I guess thats personal. I also tend to pick raptor as 1st choice unless the rental mentions another mount.