The skybox looks so LOW on oldschool maps.

Aodlop.1907

In real life clouds can be much lower than you might think. When I lived in Aberystwyth it was quite common for it to be cloudy down on the sea front, foggy around the hospital (about 100ft above sea level) and sunny at the top of the hill (about 300ft above sea level) and you could actually look down on the clouds covering the town. (Admittedly this is Wales we're talking about, so it was more common to get above one layer of clouds only to find another layer higher up.) That's not unique to Aber obviously, you get the same effect anywhere there's a steep hill, but that's the place I saw it most often. The rest of my life has been spent in relatively flat places. You can see the same going up in a plane of course, but I feel like it's more noticable how low down they are when you're still on the ground.

I actually like that it's possible to get above some of the lower lying clouds in GW2. Originally I just assumed all the clouds were just effects or images on the skybox (meaning it would be impossible to get above them, the skybox is the 'ceiling' (and walls and floor) of the map) because that would be the easy way to do it and if you're not expecting anyone to get high up it doesn't matter. So firstly I just like the detail of actually having seperate layers of clouds. But I also think in places where it's possible to get above the lower clouds it adds to the sense of height by mimicing what can happen in real life.

I'm in-game now, hovering over the pumping station in Shaemoor on the skyscale and I can see mist along the rivers (it's night time now) and some of the lower clouds about level with me and to me it looks the way I'd expect a real aerial view to look.

@"Aodlop.1907" said:With mounts now, you can actually run above the "clouds". It's kind of immersion breaking to be honest.

Especially noticeable in Queensdale.

Well i actually like this. It makes me feel like i'm on top of the world. I climbed a mountain in Timberline falls. Combined with the ambience, it was beautiful. I haven't tried queensdale.

The term in English is "cloud line". It is very possible to go above that in real life, most commonly while flying.

The "sky box", the image of sky against the background, is not an object in the game one can approach. In simplest terms, it's a function of the camera.

@Danikat.8537 said:In real life clouds can be much lower than you might think. When I lived in Aberystwyth it was quite common for it to be cloudy down on the sea front, foggy around the hospital (about 100ft above sea level) and sunny at the top of the hill (about 300ft above sea level) and you could actually look down on the clouds covering the town. (Admittedly this is Wales we're talking about, so it was more common to get above one layer of clouds only to find another layer higher up.) That's not unique to Aber obviously, you get the same effect anywhere there's a steep hill, but that's the place I saw it most often. The rest of my life has been spent in relatively flat places. You and see the same going up in a plane of course, but I feel like it's more noticable how low down they are when you're still on the ground.

Woo, Aber! Love the place.

@"Aodlop.1907" said:With mounts now, you can actually run above the "clouds". It's kind of immersion breaking to be honest.

Especially noticeable in Queensdale.

Then you haven't reached the top of the map boundary, and it just follows real life...or have you never driven on mountain roads and been above the top of the clouds?