Guild Wars "Classic"

How much interest would there be in a re-release of the original game with updated graphics and some improvements to the engine?

I spent thousands of hours in the original game, but barely 50 in GW2 because the game just wasn't the same. I really enjoyed the original, but I now live in an area where my connection to the server(s?) is so small it can take 10 minutes to load an instance. No other MMO really ever held up to what I wanted, so I essentially stopped playing MMOs for a long time. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'd love to go back to the game of Minion Masters, Fort Aspenwood, Running LA for 2k, and all the other things I may have forgotten along the way.

I feel like this could potentially be financially viable for AN, just look at the success of WoW Classic! I'd love to throw Arena Net some money again if they did some sort of re-release (and left the living story out of it, just OG content).

This is my first forum post, so if I'm doing this whole thing wrong apologies in advance!

This subject pops up as a new thread atleast once a week...

Anet has no time nor the free staff to delve into the older game and updating the engine and graphics etc because they cant even do that with gw2.

Judging purely from forum posts of what people want from arenanet gw classic is probably the last thing on their mind. A new Expansion is probably the most requested post and is true, with half the staff numbers of what they used to be.. they cant afford to put people and resource on a old game that has a small interest

I think GW1 has gotten the best graphic update it's gonna get in 2018. At most, now it could use a shader and hi-res texture update, but that's very unlikely to occur due to the lack of profit for ArenaNet.

As for the concept of a remake, there's no reason. Guild Wars 1's gameplay isn't broken or outdated, its graphics are still pretty damn good for a game over a decade old, and there's still players playing. A remake would only worsen the game at this point - we need another decade, and devs who are interested in staying true to the original, before a remake would be an improvement.

That said, I would love new content in GW1, such as the Elona Beyond arc being made at long last, or even the Ebonhawke Beyond arc, but I don't see ArenaNet ever doing such. The main reason is that ArenaNet has made it clear: they won't put effort into GW1 outside of willing dev's freetime (which is a very rare thing indeed) unless GW1 sales make a sizeable increase. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a paradox - ArenaNet will not give GW1 attention unless it gains significant sales, but due to its age and the desiring parties already owning GW1, GW1 won't gain significant sales unless it got attention from ArenaNet. [Or maybe a Netflix series that is very well written.]

Perhaps they could try for some event, adding additional servers and some sort of new content event for the anniversary and let everyone know "If you want us to do something with GW1, this is your chance to prove it." Gauge the potential marketability of more devtime spent on GW1 based on player turnout. If they've sort of given up on GW2 then could it really hurt to try and make a revival event for 1? It doesn't have to be a bribe or something, just something that would encourage people to try it again (and promise the bandwidth to allow people to enjoy it).

@Sir Green Ranger.4169 said:How much interest would there be in a re-release of the original game with updated graphics and some improvements to the engine?

I spent thousands of hours in the original game, but barely 50 in GW2 because the game just wasn't the same. I really enjoyed the original, but I now live in an area where my connection to the server(s?) is so small it can take 10 minutes to load an instance. No other MMO really ever held up to what I wanted, so I essentially stopped playing MMOs for a long time. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'd love to go back to the game of Minion Masters, Fort Aspenwood, Running LA for 2k, and all the other things I may have forgotten along the way.

I feel like this could potentially be financially viable for AN, just look at the success of WoW Classic! I'd love to throw Arena Net some money again if they did some sort of re-release (and left the living story out of it, just OG content).

This is my first forum post, so if I'm doing this whole thing wrong apologies in advance!

Please use the search function. This topic has been discussed at length several times over several threads on the last few weeks.

@"Sir Green Ranger.4169" said:Perhaps they could try for some event, adding additional servers and some sort of new content event for the anniversary and let everyone know "If you want us to do something with GW1, this is your chance to prove it." Gauge the potential marketability of more devtime spent on GW1 based on player turnout. If they've sort of given up on GW2 then could it really hurt to try and make a revival event for 1? It doesn't have to be a bribe or something, just something that would encourage people to try it again (and promise the bandwidth to allow people to enjoy it).What makes you think they've given up on GW2 but would be interested in expanding GW1 at the same time? Right now they're still actively developing and advancing GW2, adding new story chapters, maps, QoL improvements and even completely new technical stuff like the upcoming swiss tournament for pvp. Comparing that to GW1 that has not gotten any update except those made by developers voluntarily in their downtime during the recent years certainly doesn't look to me like they've given up on GW2.

@"Sir Green Ranger.4169" said:

If we believe superdata's stats, it seems that WoW Classic is just a short-term success (in the west). The analysts say that WoW subs are already down to a 64% in relation to the Classic release sub count (not including China).

I'm not sure Guild Wars would be able to use the "nostalgia-factor" the same way WoW did.

https://superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market/https://massivelyop.com/2020/02/21/superdata-visions-of-nzoth-boosted-world-of-warcraft-subs-but-its-lost-tons-since-wow-classics-2019-peak/

Apart from maybe looking up if there are already existing posts like yours, your post is fine :)

The original game is still playable and the original classes and content still function in much the same way. If people wanted to play it, there's nothing stopping them.

For me personally, I finished all the content GW1 had to offer. I'm not really interested in replaying it now that other games have my attention.

@"Sir Green Ranger.4169" said:This is my first forum post, so if I'm doing this whole thing wrong apologies in advance!Next time, please look at the first page of posts at the least or even use the forums search feature to see if your topic already exists. :) In this case, we already have a thread on classic GW2: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/98053/guild-wars-2-classic

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Sir Green Ranger.4169" said:This is my first forum post, so if I'm doing this whole thing wrong apologies in advance!Next time, please look at the first page of posts at the least or even use the forums search feature to see if your topic already exists. :) In this case, we already have a thread on classic GW2:
This one is in fact about classic Guild Wars (1), not GW2. The op seems to contradict himself though, since from the features listed it seems they really don't want a classic version of the game, but rather that ANet take the game as it is now and start actively developing/supporting it again. Not sure how living story comes into the whole thing though, as that clearly is a GW2 feature ...

i think GW "classic" should remain with WoW "classic" in my fond memories,it just wouldn't feel the same going back today.private instanced maps, glued to the floor (no jumping) and resurrect being reserved for only monk secondaries or single use signet.i LOVED GW1 with thousands of hours play time and 15k grotto armour for all of my characters over 3 accounts, but i think it should remain in the past.

@"Rasimir.6239" I wasn't contradicting myself in saying that they should add events or something to that regard, my reference to a "Living Story" was the aborted attempt at the end of the game before GW2 came into being. I meant that I'd like them to give it more devtime and server space, more love and care. It's fine though, clearly there's some interest, but for most it's just not worth it. I have my memories and I suppose that'll have to do.

GW1 already had some really nice graphics updates for free.The game is commercially not too interesting anymore to ArenaNet/NCSoft and I'm a bit in doubt that a port to the GW2 engine would be worth the investment.

Be happy with what you have. Unlimited server play time for the price you originally bought the game and campaigns for and some really nice graphics updates last year.