What did A-net have at Pax East?

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I was looking for information about what went down, since they were there and it seems like nothing. So did anything of worth get announced, shown or even really revealed or was it kind of just a thing to try and draw more players in. (Like the icebrood saga announcement.)

They said they are going to show the trailer of visions of past tomorrow.

Is that all they are gonna reveal? Just that.....

I don’t know. I don’t work for Anet.

Welp, faith is gone and hope is dead. Honestly Im not sure how they can expect anyone to be hyped for... like... babies first fractals fused with the caithe mission from S2

I cope by believing that this is just what they had in mind to keep the game coasting before the big shakeups last year

Content is planned out months in advance so there's going to be a significant lag before "we're totes taking kitten seriously now" Anet starts to show through

Stuff like big balance passes can be patched in in as much time as you can figure out what the to nerf/buff but game content requires design, assets, and programing

Or at least that's what I tell myself

Well they keep telling us they're "about to do something amazing!" for like 2 years now and in between the long spells with nothing amazing and no communication, you HAVE to tell yourself.

Maybe they are wating to implant some WoW ideas .Such as their jewel prized Mythic+ dungeons in this expanion.Where the dungeon have different scales/diffucutlies to choose from , and the enemies +their hp gets stronger in higher tiers .If they kill a higher tier mob , it explodes for 14% of your hp , or leave a death nova area .You need 1 player to have unlocked it (have the key for each dificulty) that allows you to fight the apropriate scaleddungeon for increased rewards

Or in the next expanion , where Torgast is a huge tower to climb to and kill mobs ( if you have enabled the PvP Buff , you can also fight the oposite faction)

After so many years , there is none to oppose and steal subscribers from the King .He must be very happyCongratulation T-Series!

They already consulted with the kindergarten teacher and that was all confirmed ridiculous. Maybe the next expansion can have a selfie mode, a Twitter overlay, a notifications tab for Reddit posts, and a picture in picture Netflix launcher...will be smash hit...

I don't know anything about sub-games though tbh. Only supported A net since GW1 launched, so can't really comment on anything else but my favorite and only game since I put consoles down...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I was sure I read, or saw, the Devs state that there would be more information about 'Visions of the Past' announced at PAX. Alas, I could not find that statement (perhaps, it was on Guild Chat).

I suppose releasing the teaser on the last day would count....sigh.

It was in the Message from Andrew Gray post here on the forum. I suppose you're right about the teaser. Sigh too.

@anninke.7469 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I was sure I read, or saw, the Devs state that there would be more information about 'Visions of the Past' announced at PAX. Alas, I could not find that statement (perhaps, it was on Guild Chat).

It was in the Message from Andrew Gray post here on the forum. I suppose you're right about the teaser. Sigh too.

Hmm...I've gone through each page of that thread (since the 'Next ArenaNet Post' doesn't work anymore) and I could not find any Dev posts save the OP (which does not mention PAX). Perhaps, you could link it?

@Zaklex.6308 said:Correction, you need an expansion, I personally can do without one, I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.Well, you might have not noticed, but you've just pointed out a good argument for why expansion is necessary. After all, I don't think that encouraging players to play other games is a good design strategy for any MMO.

Edit: also, wth has happened to the font? It's almost unreadable.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I was looking for information about what went down, since they were there and it seems like nothing. So did anything of worth get announced, shown or even really revealed or was it kind of just a thing to try and draw more players in. (Like the icebrood saga announcement.)

Welp, faith is gone and hope is dead. Honestly Im not sure how they can expect anyone to be hyped for... like... babies first fractals fused with the caithe mission from S2

Well I don’t know what to tell you. You seem to assume a lot about content that you know nothing about. Move on maybe ? If so, can I get your stuff ? ?

I mean it looks like solo story content, thats what it looks like to me. Kind of like a filler between episodes which is what I assume it will be; Something to sate your appetite while you wait for the only content they truly care about Living world. As for my stuff, nope you can't have anything even If I move on ill let it rot on my account so that it will do the same thing my interest is doing. We need an expansion.... living world just doesn't cut it.

Correction, you need an expansion, I personally can do without one, I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.

Sure, if you assume that having players drop in every few months for a week or two only to go "play other games again" will keep paying the bills.

In the end that's something the devs need to figure out. Just saying, only because YOU might be happy with a certain approach to content deployment, while yourself admitting you take breaks from the game, it might not be in the games best interest.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Correction, you need an expansion, I personally can do without one, I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.Well, you might have not noticed, but you've just pointed out a good argument for why expansion is necessary. After all, I don't think that encouraging players to play
other
games is a good design strategy for any MMO.

Exactly.

@Blur.3465 said:

@Blur.3465 said:I really hope it's not just trailer...Also, is it just me, or did forum font get really small?

I thought I was crazy, its def smaller.

Aye, it's really small. I'm struggling to read it xD

Good to know that I'm not the only one. The eyestrain is real.

I mean, not good that we're all struggling, but good that I'm not imagining things.... or am I?

@Zaklex.6308 said:I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.

This should be the wake up for Anet. 'Plenty of time to play other games. ' This is also why people spend less cash in the gem store. If people are playing other games, they will be spending time and money in other games. That's the boon and bane to B2P model.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmm...I've gone through each page of that thread (since the 'Next ArenaNet Post' doesn't work anymore) and I could not find any Dev posts save the OP (which does not mention PAX). Perhaps, you could link it?

It's in the first "Living World" paragraph of the OP in that thread:

Between episodes two and three, we already mentioned we'll be releasing a special new type of content called Visions of the Past; we'll have more details on that at PAX East.

@"Thorstienn.1642" said:What does an expansion bring that LW or "Sagas" don't/can't?

Interest. Sense of something big over the horizon. New ways to play. New elites. The feeling of exploration. The feeling I have got stuff I need to do. I don't really remember much about the episodes before this one let alone last season. I remember voting for vigil leaders at the crash site in Verdant Brink and the medic wife of the Asuran that died out in Orr that we meet in Auric Basin. Your memory works off multiple connections to time and events. The more the connections the more those hooks are formed and the stronger the memory (thank you NatGeo & Brain Games). The living story slow feed don't really form those bonds. LS is great for build ups between big things but they aren't substitutes. Those lapses in time also lead to 'why do I care' moments. If you replay the entirety of a previous living story it flows well and feels different (IMO) then when you first played since you had more connections to the events. It also just feeds ADHD behavior, do this and done and on to something else. Something else might mean another game which means less people for this one. Now many people will rush thru an expansion but to me odds are better more people will do that with these LS episodes. Play it for a day and come back in 2 months. And again, no reason to spend money in a game that you are not playing which means less content for those that are.

As far as Sagas since they did not give a definition, running with it means that the living story will not have closure over one season but cross into multiple.

Over all your mileage will vary. Those that are fine with LS are in a good spot, but its should be noted that those that aren't will be off elsewhere which means less people here and in a Massive Multi-Player game you need that Multi part.

Good gaming.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Thorstienn.1642" said:What does an expansion bring that LW or "Sagas" don't/can't?

Interest. Sense of something big over the horizon. New ways to play. New elites. The feeling of exploration. The feeling I have got stuff I need to do. I don't really remember much about the episodes before this one let alone last season. I remember voting for vigil leaders at the crash site in Verdant Brink and the medic wife of the Asuran that died out in Orr that we meet in Auric Basin. Your memory works off multiple connections to time and events. The more the connections the more those hooks are formed and the stronger the memory (thank you NatGeo & Brain Games). The living story slow feed don't really form those bonds. LS is great for build ups between big things but they aren't substitutes. Those lapses in time also lead to 'why do I care' moments. If you replay the entirety of a previous living story it flows well and feels different (IMO) then when you first played since you had more connections to the events. It also just feeds ADHD behavior, do this and done and on to something else. Something else might mean another game which means less people for this one. Now many people will rush thru an expansion but to me odds are better more people will do that with these LS episodes. Play it for a day and come back in 2 months. And again, no reason to spend money in a game that you are not playing which means less content for those that are.

As far as Sagas since they did not give a definition, running with it means that the living story will not have closure over one season but cross into multiple.

Over all your mileage will vary. Those that are fine with LS are in a good spot, but its should be noted that those that aren't will be off elsewhere which means less people here and in a Massive Multi-Player game you need that Multi part.

Good gaming.

Couldn't have said it better.

Since Saga, this is the very first time since I've played, that I've decided doing the Storyline from the Icebrood Saga was not worth my time. I did the prologue because I'm personally interested in the Charr culture. And then I dropped everything after playing episode 1. The amount of content in it was so dismal, I felt like I was reading a book, and someone took the book away from me after I read a few pages. Then episode 2 came in, and I figured "Why do I bother reading again, when you're going to take the book away again after 2 pages ?". So instead, I stalk newbies, and relive the first steps with them.There are 3 reasons I want an expansion : Grand Exploration, Immersive lenght of content, wide ranging Gameplay changes.

Saga offers None of it, and is not intent on it so far.I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but Anet is so secretive about the road it's taking the content, I cant properly feel like doing Saga is going to give me that Expansion-level content. It's just not giving off that vibe, and it's not telegraphing that it's going that way either.

@anninke.7469 said:

It's in the first "Living World" paragraph of the OP in that thread:

Between episodes two and three, we already mentioned we'll be releasing a special new type of content called Visions of the Past; we'll have more details on that at PAX East.

OMG, I'm officially blind. I can't say how many times I've read that post. :anguished:Thank you.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Well I don’t know what to tell you. You seem to assume a lot about content that you know nothing about. Move on maybe ? If so, can I get your stuff ? ?

I mean it looks like solo story content, thats what it looks like to me. Kind of like a filler between episodes which is what I assume it will be; Something to sate your appetite while you wait for the only content they truly care about Living world. As for my stuff, nope you can't have anything even If I move on ill let it rot on my account so that it will do the same thing my interest is doing. We need an expansion.... living world just doesn't cut it.

Correction, you need an expansion, I personally can do without one, I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.

Sure, if you assume that having players drop in every few months for a week or two only to go "play other games again" will keep paying the bills.

In the end that's something the devs need to figure out. Just saying, only because YOU might be happy with a certain approach to content deployment, while yourself admitting you take breaks from the game, it might not be in the games best interest.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Correction, you need an expansion, I personally can do without one, I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.Well, you might have not noticed, but you've just pointed out a good argument for why expansion is necessary. After all, I don't think that encouraging players to play
other

Exactly.

Except for the fact that's exactly how the game was envisioned from the beginning, for players to be able to come and go as they please, it's one of the major design elements that ArenaNet wanted. They didn't want people to have to devote themselves to only playing GW2 all the time, they encourage players to take a break, and since that was the one of the base designs you'd think they would've taken that into account when looking at the financial side of things.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

other

Exactly.

Except for the fact that's exactly how the game was envisioned from the beginning, for players to be able to come and go as they please, it's one of the major design elements that ArenaNet wanted. They didn't want people to have to devote themselves to only playing GW2 all the time, they encourage players to take a break, and since that was the one of the base designs you'd think they would've taken that into account when looking at the financial side of things.

Really? Is that why the original Season 1 was temporary content? Which then was changed into repeatable content with monthly and daily achievements (which were miss able)? Which THEN was changed into pure daily achievements?

Seems to me you are a bit off on what the original design idea was.

It would still not matter since the question is: what is best for the game, and not what is a design decision which might or might not have worked. Designing a game for people to NOT play it seems rather off.

Encouraging players to take breaks was most definitely NOT in the base game design. You are making that up, or if you have sources, feel free to share them.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

other

Exactly.

Really? Is that why the original Season 1 was temporary content? Which then was changed into repeatable content with monthly and daily achievements (which were miss able)? Which THEN was changed into pure daily achievements?

It would still not matter since the question is: what is best for the game, and not what is a design decision which might or might not have worked. Designing a game for people to NOT play it seems rather off.

Let me explain that part, was LS1 available for more than one day for each episode? Yes, you had at least two weeks to play each of the original LWS1 episodes, you could log in anytime during those two weeks and play that particular release, you didn't have to play every single day.

Are we talking about designing it to have to play it 365 days a year(100% of the time), or design it where you can legitimately play half(50%) that amount of time and still not be left behind or miss anything? In order to meet the latter position you have to have another mechanism for earning money, and that's what the Gem shop is for, the Gem shop in theory allows people to play the game 50% of the time and still make the same income as if people played it 100%...at least that's the theory.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

other

Exactly.

Let me explain that part, was LS1 available for more than one day for each episode? Yes, you had at least two weeks to play each of the original LWS1 episodes, you could log in anytime during those two weeks and play that particular release, you didn't have to play every single day.

The original season content drops were 2-4 weeks in a way shorter rhythm than now. They literally FORCED players to constantly monitor the game and be active right during those specific periods of time, no matter if they wanted or not. So to extrapolate from that that they intended for players to play every 3 months for 1 week makes no sense.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Are we talking about designing it to have to play it 365 days a year(100% of the time), or design it where you can legitimately play half(50%) that amount of time and still not be left behind or miss anything? In order to meet the latter position you have to have another mechanism for earning money, and that's what the Gem shop is for, the Gem shop in theory allows people to play the game 50% of the time and still make the same income as if people played it 100%...at least that's the theory.

No expansion requires players to play 365 days. So I don't see your comparison. On the contrary, given the revenue bumps of past expansions, it seems they encourage players to play for the next 6-9 months. Definitely a lot longer than living world episodes but certainly not hardcore 365 days. Most hardcore players cleared the expansion content within a month, which hints that the remaining players clear the content in a rather relaxed leisure way.

You argument would make sense if Living World Episodes had enough meat to even hit 50% player time engagement. Unfortunately they do not.

It was about Friend/ships and Seize the Awkward, they had the panel they talked about it. The teaser was just a teaser.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:I'm perfectly fine with the LW/Saga as is, allows me plenty of time to play other games.

This should be the wake up for Anet. 'Plenty of time to play other games. ' This is also why people spend less cash in the gem store. If people are playing other games, they will be spending time and money in other games. That's the boon and bane to B2P model.

All my other games are single player(not counting ESO and F76, which I play as single player but also don't spend any money on), so I don't spend money in those games, GW2 is the only game I spend money on, and it's because I'm to lazy to convert gold to gems, so I just buy them to keep a stockpile on hand in case something piques my eye(I have over 50 tabs open in Chrome, of which 4 are devoted to GW2, two for the forums and two for the Wiki). Every individual has their preferences and you can't cater to them all, you just have to find a happy medium. I also remember that when both HoT and PoF came out a lot of people were complaining within days of not having anything to do because they rushed through the story, but whether that was a majority or not only ArenaNet would know.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

other

Exactly.

Actually, the statement was in the context of max level characters and max level gear and was about that Anet will never increase the max level of gear/characters, so players CAN take a break from the game and then come back later and will still have max level gear to play the new content. Players do not need to grind for higher level gear before beeing able to play new content (because their old gear is invalidated by an increased max level).

But it is NOT that the game is designed the way, that players SHOULD take a break.

P.S. Thats the reason why you do not need (exception: higher level fractals because of agony resistence) ascended gear to play content instead of exotic gear.P.P.S. Thats the reason why Anet created masteries as another way of progression instead of increasing the level cap.

EDIT: P.P.P.S And that design philosophy maybe is also a reason why (some / lots of) players do not care about switching their gear to better stat combinations.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Except for the fact that's exactly how the game was envisioned from the beginning, for players to be able to come and go as they please, it's one of the major design elements that ArenaNet wanted. They didn't want people to have to devote themselves to only playing GW2 all the time, they encourage players to take a break, and since that was the one of the base designs you'd think they would've taken that into account when looking at the financial side of things.Correction. The design was to allow players to take a break without their characters becoming obsolete during that time. It was to let them get back into the game more easily, if at some point they stopped playing for any reason. This is however something completely different than encouraging players to take breaks, or even designing the game around assumption that this will be the default player behaviour. No MMORPG designer would ever want to do that. The whole genre is built around both longterm engagement and heavy time investment.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

All my other games are single player(not counting ESO and F76, which I play as single player but also don't spend any money on), so I don't spend money in those games, GW2 is the only game I spend money on, and it's because I'm to lazy to convert gold to gems, so I just buy them to keep a stockpile on hand in case something piques my eye(I have over 50 tabs open in Chrome, of which 4 are devoted to GW2, two for the forums and two for the Wiki). Every individual has their preferences and you can't cater to them all, you just have to find a happy medium. I also remember that when both HoT and PoF came out a lot of people were complaining within days of not having anything to do because they rushed through the story, but whether that was a majority or not only ArenaNet would know.

I think we are both in the minority. I think the trend for people to play multiple MMOs is on the rise but I think more people are still of the mind, I don't want that many time sinks and if they are gaming elsewhere its in a different gaming niche like single player or FPS, anything that's more stop and go than an MMO is. That said if a player is allocating cash to a gaming budget the more games they play the less they will have overall to spend on a given one. Can only speak of myself, but when I am paying for ESO's optional sub, I am less likely to spend more here because I am not here, and that would mean that item has less value so unless its priced with that in mind, its a non-sale. So even though GW2 is not sub-based they need to keep people's attention else they lose them temporarily or in some cases permanently because as said before not everyone is up to multiple MMOs and switching back and forth, let alone playing at the same time.

And yes, after both HoT and PoF there were people that rushed all the way to the end and quickly said that's it? But those that are like that may not have gone away and if they are still here, consider how much faster they are going thru the LS releases. We are close to the next release so we can see if they have found the right formula, but still no word on new elites and that to me at least is a bad thing since that would be a corner stone to an expansion since it would allow new ways to play older content. But your mileage will vary.