Archon Iberu: Hints?

Hello

I would appreciate some hints about how to get this boss down in the storyline (Step: Enemy of my enemy) . I have only one toon doing the storyline: a reaper. Usually, with her, I am quite good in fights and solo trouble free. But in that case, I have troubles because:

• Archon is sticking to me like glue and keeps interrupting me almost continuously.
  • I am not fast enough at killing his healing minions, because I do not rebuild life force fast enough, so I can rarely be in death shroud. Out of it, I don't damage much.
  • The ally NPCs are no big help.

I know that for many of you, it was probably easy because I have not seen a thread about it. Nice! Then please if you could share some hints for a reaper (I can also adapt build as required)?

Thanks in advance. :)

If you're a necro, maybe try using minions to take the focus off of you?

I'm not sure how I did it.. I managed to kill him in less than 2 minutes with my Mirage. Maybe he was confused by the clones/phantasms? Was tricky staying alive at times, but I think possibly minions could help?

I Haven't done that story step on my reaper yet, but this is the build I've been playing. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhF6khGobTslGwdTgeTsgLYxVxvYYE6qFAaBTFhmQVA-jhRBABXp8DgnAAN7PYmSwHOFAUq+DA-e

Basically, you can spam skills and kill stuff. I haven't had any issues in the desert so far. Reaper is an absurdly tanky class, even in full berserker gear.

• 4 months later...

No, already got through it again. Basically, it felt like all his attacks either interrupted or knockbacked, He ran back and forth in the area, which rarely afforded the opportunity to use combos or blasts (my main source of damage output). He then uses adds to heal himself, and if you don't have strong AoE (which I don't) you will fight for a few minutes, he heals, and you look and he's down maybe 2 or 3%......maybe.

@Odinens.5920 said:Necroing this thread.......this guy is more annoying than Eater of Souls. Would be nice if these fights weren't anti-melee/single target.

Oh yeah, i couldnt made the achievement with my warrior cause Iberu keep running away lol really annoying, but was pretty easy with Condi FB, he didnt last long.

@Odinens.5920 said:No, already got through it again. Basically, it felt like all his attacks either interrupted or knockbacked, He ran back and forth in the area, which rarely afforded the opportunity to use combos or blasts (my main source of damage output). He then uses adds to heal himself, and if you don't have strong AoE (which I don't) you will fight for a few minutes, he heals, and you look and he's down maybe 2 or 3%......maybe.

You know you have half an eternity to kill the add he's draining before he actually gains HP from it?

@CptAurellian.9537 said:

@Odinens.5920 said:No, already got through it again. Basically, it felt like all his attacks either interrupted or knockbacked, He ran back and forth in the area, which rarely afforded the opportunity to use combos or blasts (my main source of damage output). He then uses adds to heal himself, and if you don't have strong AoE (which I don't) you will fight for a few minutes, he heals, and you look and he's down maybe 2 or 3%......maybe.

You know you have half an eternity to kill the add he's draining before he actually gains HP from it?

Yeah, I figured that out. At 1st I was trying to kill ALL the adds, since he does spawn 4 or 5 at a time. Still annoying. Pretty sure I didn't have nearly as much trouble the 1st time I played through that.

I'm just reaching this fight with my Ranger/Druid. I was fighting him for several minutes when I just gave up and shut down the game.

His adds look so similar to him that it's hard to pick out which one to attack, and he's running around the dang battlefield non-stop. I got him down to half hp when the number of adds he summons rose and I couldn't keep up. I don't really know what to do.

This trend to make boss battles CC/AoE nightmares is just getting to be too much for me. Every boss battle is so overwhelming with visual data that I can barely tell what's going on...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, going to add some more feedback to this one. Just did this boss on my second character through the story. On my first run I was playing a condi Druid build and this fight wasn't even a blip on my radar. Seemed no worse than any other story boss. This time on a power Soulbeast... good lord wtf is going on with him? This was a massive pain in the neck, felt like it took a good 10 minutes to whittle this bastard down.

First off it's massively anti-melee, he flies all over the area at mach 10 making it impossible to stay in melee with him consistently. And if you do get up in his face, his auto attacks knockdown so it's pretty much a big old FU if you happen to be melee-centric.

Secondly there's very horrible tells for his mechanics. The red timer over the minion he's siphoning is very easy to miss in all the red AOEs the awakened spam the shit out of to begin with.

And finally, WHY DOES HE HAVE A BLUE BREAKBAR IF HE'S IMMUNE TO CC?!?! This was the biggest issue, I spent the first few minutes of the fight trying to CC him when he went to heal because the game doesn't properly tell me that I shouldn't be trying to CC him like every other fucking boss with a breakbar doing a special skill. Seriously make his breakbar locked so we know not to waste our time trying to CC him...

@Riot Inducer.8964I had similar problems with my ranger. In the end I respec’d to marksmen-beastmaster-survival build that focused on beefing up my pet and using lots of bleeds. I used longbow/great sword and pretty much used only survival utilities/elite. Entangle elite is great since it’ll stop his adds and damage them/him all at once. When he ran around I used long bow, when he stopped I’d fly at him with great sword. I used two bird pets for their bleeds and swapped as needed.

You really just need to focus on the add he’s absorbing and kill them quick. He gets stunned when you kill the add he’s absorbing. It might take a few minutes but that’s how I beat him with my ranger. It was less about killing him quick than it was about quickly taking down the add he selects to heal himself using.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried easily 20 times to kill him with my Soul beast & I can't even get him to 1/2 health. I am not able to kill the minion he is draining in time. The minions bunch together so hard to target the minion he is draining. I had no problem killing him with my Necro but I'm about to give up my Soul beast. I tried going Beastmaster-Marksman-Survival as someone suggested but still cant. Everytime I stop to shoot, he drops AOEs on me then rams into me.

Should I change the sigils on my armor & weapons? I currently have ranger sigils on my armor.

Help! ?

@AntlerDruid.1865 said:I have tried easily 20 times to kill him with my Soul beast & I can't even get him to 1/2 health. I am not able to kill the minion he is draining in time. The minions bunch together so hard to target the minion he is draining. I had no problem killing him with my Necro but I'm about to give up my Soul beast. I tried going Beastmaster-Marksman-Survival as someone suggested but still cant. Everytime I stop to shoot, he drops AOEs on me then rams into me.

Should I change the sigils on my armor & weapons? I currently have ranger sigils on my armor.

Help! ?

If you are having trouble due to the minions clumping up then you probably want a different weapon. Greatsword/sword/offhand axe would let you just stand on top of them and swing your weapon without needing to select a target. Dagger+Torch would also work but those are more condition oriented and since you are using runes for power build that is probably not a good choice.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@AntlerDruid.1865 said:I have tried easily 20 times to kill him with my Soul beast & I can't even get him to 1/2 health. I am not able to kill the minion he is draining in time. The minions bunch together so hard to target the minion he is draining. I had no problem killing him with my Necro but I'm about to give up my Soul beast. I tried going Beastmaster-Marksman-Survival as someone suggested but still cant. Everytime I stop to shoot, he drops AOEs on me then rams into me.

Help! ?

If you are having trouble due to the minions clumping up then you probably want a different weapon. Greatsword/sword/offhand axe would let you just stand on top of them and swing your weapon without needing to select a target. Dagger+Torch would also work but those are more condition oriented and since you are using runes for power build that is probably not a good choice.

Using the 2 handed sword allowed me to finally beat him - Thank you @Khisanth.2948 !

• 9 months later...

@"Svennis.3852" said:I'm just reaching this fight with my Ranger/Druid. I was fighting him for several minutes when I just gave up and shut down the game.

His adds look so similar to him that it's hard to pick out which one to attack, and he's running around the dang battlefield non-stop. I got him down to half hp when the number of adds he summons rose and I couldn't keep up. I don't really know what to do.

This trend to make boss battles CC/AoE nightmares is just getting to be too much for me. Every boss battle is so overwhelming with visual data that I can barely tell what's going on...

Being colour blind (red/green/brown spectrum) i have difficulty picking things out at times when it gets really busy - sometimes I just have to go for it ? saying that i think the graphics are excellent so it's not all bad ?

Ranger here and after reading this I got past him. The key was focusing on him until the minion was identified by the weird symbol over his head and immediately switching to them. Burn him down with all your skills then switch back to boss.

Steady goes the race and don't die and you'll have it in the bag. (Get out of the red circles and you should be good!)

Hope that helps!

Archived