Official; Finally rev gets it Greatsword!

Arkantos.7460

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"VocalThought.9835" said:I hope the next two legends get either Grest Sword or Dual Pistols.

I would like to have one legend that's not from lore, but maybe from the future.

Wouldn't getting a legend from the future kinda open alot of questions?

Revenants are able to communicate with these legends in the mists. If there is a legend from the future, then I would be like "so, why doesn't my revenant simply ask this guy how they defeated the elder dragons?".

Usually having characters from the future would just make people question why we don't draw crucial information from them, which makes the whole conflict with the elder dragon anticlimatic.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"VocalThought.9835" said:I hope the next two legends get either Grest Sword or Dual Pistols.

I would like to have one legend that's not from lore, but maybe from the future.

Wouldn't getting a legend from the future kinda open
alot
of questions?

Revenants are able to communicate with these legends in the mists. If there is a legend from the future, then I would be like "so, why doesn't my revenant simply ask this guy how they defeated the elder dragons?".

Usually having characters from the future would just make people question why we don't draw crucial information from them, which makes the whole conflict with the elder dragon anticlimatic.

What if it's a memory from the future of another world, without Elder Dragons?The Mists are vast and span many worlds, not just the ones we play on.There are bound to be some worlds without Elder Dragons and nothing suggests our Revenants can only channel memories of our own world.But I doubt Arenanet wants to dare diving too deep into multiverse settings.

@Fueki.4753 said:

alot
of questions?

What if it's a memory from the future of
another
world, without Elder Dragons?The Mists are vast and span many worlds, not just the ones we play on.There are bound to be some worlds without Elder Dragons and nothing suggests our Revenants can only channel memories of our own world.But I doubt Arenanet wants to dare diving too deep into multiverse settings.

If it's a legend from another world, then this completely defeats his thematical wish for them to be from the future.Because if it's from another world, it legit doesn't matter for us if they are from the future, present, or past. They can also be from the past, but still having laser weapons simply because their world is just on a much higher technological level.

Can we please stop with the obscure GW1 characters? If the average player needs to go wiki surfing to find who that character that appeared in one mission in Gw1 is, it's probably not a successful pick. Especially since gw1 lore is so human-centric.

Svanir is an excellent idea. Villainous legends are more interesting imo, and both elite specs have been heroic figures. Svanir is a character that is extremely relevant to the current story, will cover the lack of Norn legends, and offers enough design space for interesting gameplay with his Nornbear abilities. Other Norn figures haven't been very distinct, and would just be an excuse to make a Spirits of the Wild spec, that would both feel generic and invalidate the whole Norn race and their racial skills.

I also hope for a non-traditional weapon kit. One distinct feature of Rev was their unorthodox use of weapons, like using mace and axe as caster-ish weapons, hammer as purely ranged, staff as melee. Both elite specs were a lot more traditional, so I'm hoping for some of that lost base rev flavour. Like greatsword could be similar to how Balthazar uses it, having it fly on its own instead of swinging it. Or we could use dagger as a ritualistic weapon, like Necro's https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dark_Pact.

Gameplay-wise, I don't think rev really lacks something. Very good support kit with both elite specs offering different options, a good condi dps spec. Power dps needs some help, but that's easy to incorporate to many different concepts. Heavy armour classes don't have access to stealth, and Rev is probably the most fitting option for it, given their whole mist identity. Coming back to Svanir, he could easily be that stealth-based legend, the whole gameplay of his GW1 mission revolved around him hiding in the mists and us having to track him down.

Honestly what I find rev lacks is a mele weapon that feels like a true melee weapon. A greatsword with stylistic martial sword strikes that all need to be in melee range to hit would drastically change the feel of rev. Look at every "melee" weapon rev has the all are more of a ranged magic attack than a actual strait up melee except for a few skills here and there. Even revs skill animations that look like they'd be strait up attacks end up ending with some ranged even if short ranged magic attack.Look at half of the duel sword,staff,mace, axe etc etc.

@Kodama.6453 said:

alot
of questions?

Wait a second, we are talking about the same Revenant that has Mastery over the Mist, which "touchs all things and binds the universe together, past, present, and future." Ever heard of a Seer. Even Glint was somewhat a fortune teller. Maybe the legend we tap into is our future self, that can only give hints, but can't give direct information that would drastically offset the timeline continuum. Or maybe they don't want to spoil everything for us, or some concepts in the future are too hard to grasp, or maybe they themselves aren't scholars of knowledge and don't fully know their own history.

If you went back to the past and someone asked you, "who was the lead actor in the play that Lincoln went to when he was shot", would you know?

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Honestly what I find rev lacks is a mele weapon that feels like a true melee weapon. A greatsword with stylistic martial sword strikes that all need to be in melee range to hit would drastically change the feel of rev. Look at every "melee" weapon rev has the all are more of a ranged magic attack than a actual strait up melee except for a few skills here and there. Even revs skill animations that look like they'd be strait up attacks end up ending with some ranged even if short ranged magic attack.Look at half of the duel sword,staff,mace, axe etc etc.

Eh I think that’s fine. It’s a magic warrior, not a warrior or ranger, so naturally should be different and more magic infused in terms of how it uses melee weapons. Guardian, mesmer, and Necromancer all do the same thing with most of their melee weapons as well. I don’t think a future GS would need to be all 130 distance and I don’t think it should be

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Honestly what I find rev lacks is a mele weapon that feels like a true melee weapon. A greatsword with stylistic martial sword strikes that all need to be in melee range to hit would drastically change the feel of rev. Look at every "melee" weapon rev has the all are more of a ranged magic attack than a actual strait up melee except for a few skills here and there. Even revs skill animations that look like they'd be strait up attacks end up ending with some ranged even if short ranged magic attack.Look at half of the duel sword,staff,mace, axe etc etc.

Eh I think that’s fine. It’s a magic warrior, not a warrior or ranger, so naturally should be different and more magic infused in terms of how it uses melee weapons. Guardian, mesmer, and Necromancer all do the same thing with most of their melee weapons as well. I don’t think a future GS would need to be all 130 distance and I don’t think it should be

I agree but to have one weapon being a giant gs that feels more martial and bit less magic would add something different to rev that non of other weapons add. Plus be sweet asf imo. All subjective tho for sure.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:I hope the next two legends get either Grest Sword or Dual Pistols.

alot
of questions?

Wait a second, we are talking about the same Revenant that has Mastery over the Mist, which "touchs all things and binds the universe together, past, present, and future." Ever heard of a Seer. Even Glint was somewhat a fortune teller. Maybe the legend we tap into is our future self, that can only give hints, but can't give direct information that would drastically offset the timeline continuum. Or maybe they don't want to spoil everything for us, or some concepts in the future are too hard to grasp, or maybe they themselves aren't scholars of knowledge and don't fully know their own history.

If you went back to the past and someone asked you, "who was the lead actor in the play that Lincoln went to when he was shot", would you know?

You are comparing the information about the lead actor in the play Lincoln got shot (which is absolutely meaningless for this event) with the information how the biggest threat for the entire planet got defeated. Which I would argue that this information is alot more impactful.

If I would travel back in time and someone would ask me how Lincoln is going to die, however, I would be able to tell them how he died and even the name of the guy who shot him. Which could possible lead to them preventing this event completely.

And if my future self would be unwilling to tell me how I managed to defeat the elder dragons, which are a major threat not only for my own life but also for the life of everyone I care about, simply because he doesn't want to spoil that for me, then I would have to think that my future self is a complete a**hole.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:I hope the next two legends get either Grest Sword or Dual Pistols.

alot
of questions?

You are comparing the information about the lead actor in the play Lincoln got shot (which is absolutely meaningless for this event) with the information how the biggest threat for the entire planet got defeated. Which I would argue that this information is alot more impactful.

If I would travel back in time and someone would ask me how Lincoln is going to die, however, I
would
be able to tell them how he died and even the name of the guy who shot him. Which could possible lead to them preventing this event completely.

And if my future self would be unwilling to tell me how I managed to defeat the elder dragons, which are a major threat not only for my own life but also for the life of everyone I care about, simply because he doesn't want to
spoil
that for me, then I would have to think that my future self is a complete a**hole.

My point was not to say how that Lincoln assassination was not important to stop, but to stress you don't know what may seem important to someone at that time and that there is some information that you know you've never learned or would never remember. Also, we only know what's important to the ones who taught us. Another thing is, we might not know every single detail of an event that may be crucial to changing the event.

I give it to you that my example may have been a bad one, but there's so many things we learned that we trurly still don't know the truth about. Just pick any controversial conspiracy theory of our time. From the moon landing, RFK assassination, Waco Tx, 9/11, the War in Iraq, the election of Obama and the Election of Donald Trump. You name it. Maybe going back in time and seeing things with our own eyes might change what we knew to be true.

Even if you were to go back in time, with true information, you think you alone would have the power to stop a major event from happening. There are so many variables that I could say about how a time traveler could not prevent a past event from happening.

With that being said, I think a Revenant from the future would be a great way to go. They don't have to be all knowing and all seeing, but they could give some premonition that could buff our character. I think it's a great theme to the Revenant that we haven't explored. A ritualist that can connect with a future legend instead of a legend from the past, having a special mastery of the mist that we've yet to explore and could not even fathom.

@Kodama.6453 said:

alot
of questions?

What if it's a memory from the future of
another
world, without Elder Dragons?The Mists are vast and span many worlds, not just the ones we play on.There are bound to be some worlds without Elder Dragons and nothing suggests our Revenants can only channel memories of our own world.But I doubt Arenanet wants to dare diving too deep into multiverse settings.

If it's a legend from another world, then this completely defeats his thematical wish for them to be from the future.Because if it's from another world, it legit doesn't matter for us if they are from the future, present, or past. They can also be from the past, but still having laser weapons simply because their world is just on a much higher technological level.

I think the legends Rev channel are little more than magical imprints rather than complete personalities. Otherwise, we could have simply asked Glint to fully explain her legacy, or she could have stopped us from killing Mordremoth before Aurene hatched so she could absorb his magic.

@Kodama.6453 said:If I would travel back in time and someone would ask me how Lincoln is going to die, however, I would be able to tell them how he died and even the name of the guy who shot him. Which could possible lead to them preventing this event completely.

And if my future self would be unwilling to tell me how I managed to defeat the elder dragons, which are a major threat not only for my own life but also for the life of everyone I care about, simply because he doesn't want to spoil that for me, then I would have to think that my future self is a complete a**hole.

That been said, we enter time travel paradox territory here. If you went back and changed significant parts of the past, then the future you are part of would very likely not come to pass. Especially for such a major event as the Elder Dragon conflict. Like for example, we would have done a lot of things differently, starting by getting Aurene's egg before the Master of Peace did, prevented the attack on the Zephyrites, warn Trehearne about the Pact's destruction in the jungle, ignore Mordremoth until Aurene hatched, go after the bloodstone before Balthazar got his hands on it. All those changes could have resulted in an entirely differently future, and unless our future self comes from a dystopia, they would be extremely hesitant risking it all.

I fail to see how the next spec could bring anything to PvP, anyway. Herald is primordial for the power build which shaped the PvP meta most of those years, and now that condi Revenants are somewhat viable, the strongest iterations do work around Glint/Mallyx. What hope could bring the next spect? Every legend outside Glint/Shiro moves slow, every legend outside Glint has high energy cost, every legend has a weaker heal than Glint...