Create a character

Hiya to anyone who reads,Would love to get your guys or people that are more involved with the games design comment on character creation. I Would love to see if there is to be more options in 'create a character', and is it going to be available with the new expansion or even prior to that. I find that the satisfaction on creating and the time spent making the character you want makes gameplay much more enjoyable. I think there could also be so many more options with hair styles/ hair colour packs. Skin tone being on tone adjusters and eye colour also being adjustable for darker or lighter shades of each individual tone. Wrinkles for age and tattoo design/ patterns being looked into. Almost similar to the sims. Even making it an individual add on pack that can be purchased. Wondering what thoughts others had. Really feel like 10 options for hair at the start and a few more in the black lion kits could be vastly expanded. It would also encourage people to buy more character slots. Just for such a big game with lots of add on armour skins character customization just seems to have been lost.Thanks guysSuited sas!

If Code:Vein has taught me anything, it's easy to spend 2 hours designing your perfect (wo)man in a half decent character creator - even given the option of 20+ default appearances that could jump you straight into the game. I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't a market for this.

The biggest shame is that it doesn't matter what you select during Character Creator - you will have to redo everything anyway using a Total Makeover Kit as it provides many more options than the initial Character Creator.

And yes, a broader variety of options would be a welcome sight. :+1:

The makeover kit is better but even then it doesn't really give you many options like another 5 hair styles isn't too substantial. The hair colours are better but I feel if they had adjustable dials for each tone I think you could really get much more out of it. I just hope they actually read the many forums asking for more selection. Let's hope ?

@"Frostfang.5109" said:I Totally agree. I'm still waiting for nice hi-res nice looking options. Horns where you can choose color apart from design. New faces, fur-patterns and hairstyles.Agreed, and here's a pic of my charr with that kind of low-res horns. This is unacceptable I think, it's due time for a re-visit23rbFY3.jpg

@Regh.8649 said:

@"Frostfang.5109" said:I Totally agree. I'm still waiting for nice hi-res nice looking options. Horns where you can choose color apart from design. New faces, fur-patterns and hairstyles.Agreed, and here's a pic of my charr with that kind of low-res horns. This is unacceptable I think, it's due time for a re-visit
23rbFY3.jpg

Some designs are different from others. Their quality very. I have a white charr and would like pale horns for him, but I dont like design of the pale horns avaliable. Also male charr need more slender looking faces, like Bangars imo. The New faces that have been implemented for male charr so far are very heavy and dog-like. Your design look great even if its not my taste.

I still want a face similar to Trahearne for my Sylvari male (surprised how long it's been since new ones were added) and something done about the forced purple and green coloring with many faces with certain skin colors. Oh and removing gender requirement for hair styles.

Example of skin color issue that always bothered me; there's no way to change the 2ndary coloring and it ends up looking odd so I just don't use certain faces with certain skin colors:

SrtCJgK.png

@Westenev.5289 said:If Code:Vein has taught me anything, it's easy to spend 2 hours designing your perfect (wo)man in a half decent character creator - even given the option of 20+ default appearances that could jump you straight into the game. I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't a market for this.

I loved character creation in that game so much. Made many characters I actually never even played, I just liked designing.

I always wondered why there was a tab to select such things as eye color, chin width, and size of nose. We are running away from the "camera" and can't see those fine details. I don't pay attention to any other character's faces that close.

I agree with those racial traits that set them apart from modified humans: horns, leaves, large ears, and such.

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:I always wondered why there was a tab to select such things as eye color, chin width, and size of nose. We are running away from the "camera" and can't see those fine details. I don't pay attention to any other character's faces that close.

I agree with those racial traits that set them apart from modified humans: horns, leaves, large ears, and such.

I'd also love more options, especially to get away from the huge amounts of baby faces. I'm not personally into anime (I don't think anime is bad, it's just not an aesthetic I like) so I want characters that have been through battle to look a bit more seasoned and older than their early teens. But indeed the most limited stuff seems to be things like horn selection.

As to eye color, it can really pop on charr and sylvari and asura, but on humans it doesn't seem to matter. In creation you get vivid green eyes, for example, but even zooming in on the face far more than you would to run around, let alone to look at other characters, you can't get the color to show on humans. Well, I can't. And I use very high settings. The only time I get the full detail from character creation on faces is when looking through a bobblehead filter.

@tinchpinch.8651 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:The biggest shame is that it doesn't matter what you select during Character Creator - you will have to redo everything anyway using a Total Makeover Kit as it provides
many
more options than the initial Character Creator.

Omg, that's exactly how it goes =)

Got get them gem sales. The second biggest shame is the lack of japanese wild hairstyles for the humans tbh...

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:The biggest shame is that it doesn't matter what you select during Character Creator - you will have to redo everything anyway using a Total Makeover Kit as it provides
many
more options than the initial Character Creator.

Omg, that's exactly how it goes =)

Got get them gem sales. The second biggest shame is the lack of japanese wild hairstyles for the humans tbh...

Try male charr and u'll get enough of anime hairstyles.... like too much of them. There I miss less overdized hairstyles.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"ScyeRynn.4218" said:The second biggest shame is the lack of japanese wild hairstyles for the humans tbh...Personally, I disagree.

Me too. Manga/anime has no place in GW2. I hope they will provide traditional Asian hairstyle with the Cantha expansion, not some modern punk looks.

I wish that there were more options of "normal" hair, especially long hair without a half-shaved head or odd braids/ponytails.

Agreed. I find the options for female Norn, for instance, quite awful as well. There are too many that cover one eye (what's up with that weird "emo" design choice?) and thus ruin the otherwise nice haistyle, or they are too "anime" (with girly pigtails) or too femme (like this one "Miss Mermaid Beauty Contest").

@"Ashantara.8731" said:

I hope they will provide traditional Asian hairstyle with the Cantha expansion, not some modern punk looks.I wish that there were more options of "normal" hair, especially long hair without a half-shaved head or odd braids/ponytails.

I want that as well, but if the Charr can have Super Saiyan hair, I want the human race to have it as well so I can complete my Goku and Caulifla SS 2 cosplay.

I've been spoiled by my heavily-modded (almost 500 mods running, atm) Fallout 4 game. As far as character creation goes, I have around 20 mods that give me access to over 400 hairstyles (with physics...and over 200 different color variations to choose from), nearly 100 eyebrow types/styles, several hundred eye color/types, as well as a vast plethora of facial textures such as scars, bruises, freckle/mole patterns, and many other blemishes that can be mixed and matched...then there's the makeup options, which number in the thousands! With powerful mods like Extended Facial Sculpting (now with 90% less beta!), Looksmenu Customization Compendium, and Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition (CBBE - Bodyslide), I can make my characters look any way I want...from head to toe. Comparatively speaking, MMO character "customization" is pathetic, to say the least. Why? Because poor people have pennies that need to be "captured" by game publishers and their crappy little $300 laptops can't run heavily modded games...not that MMO's can be heavily modified (or even lightly modified, for that matter), mind you - because that would destroy their cash-shop sales - just sayin'.

Modding is the future of gaming, childrens, so you'd better start saving up your pennies, now, so that you can play the heavily-customizable VR MMOs that all the cool kids will be playing in 2035. ;)

PS...Hey, ArenaNet! Can we get a character creation do-over button? Half the time our characters don't look like they did when we were creating them. Thanks!

@thepenmonster.3621 said:Yes! The Fashion Wars must be won!

It's not fashion wars.. When you play rpgs you want to be in the role. Making the character as you want it with sufficient options for creation only makes the role playing experience more enjoyable for each individual player. Why do armour sets have 60 plus but can only choose out of ten hairstyles. It literally makes no sense and the game isn't even new and things will change with expansions. This is all we have to work with.

@"GW Noob.6038" said:I've been spoiled by my heavily-modded (almost 500 mods running, atm) Fallout 4 game. As far as character creation goes, I have around 20 mods that give me access to over 400 hairstyles (with physics...and over 200 different color variations to choose from), nearly 100 eyebrow types/styles, several hundred eye color/types, as well as a vast plethora of facial textures such as scars, bruises, freckle/mole patterns, and many other blemishes that can be mixed and matched...then there's the makeup options, which number in the thousands! With powerful mods like Extended Facial Sculpting (now with 90% less beta!), Looksmenu Customization Compendium, and Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition (CBBE - Bodyslide), I can make my characters look any way I want...from head to toe. Comparatively speaking, MMO character "customization" is pathetic, to say the least. Why? Because poor people have pennies that need to be "captured" by game publishers and their crappy little $300 laptops can't run heavily modded games...not that MMO's can be heavily modified (or even lightly modified, for that matter), mind you - because that would destroy their cash-shop sales - just sayin'.

Modding is the future of gaming, childrens, so you'd better start saving up your pennies, now, so that you can play the heavily-customizable VR MMOs that all the cool kids will be playing in 2035. ;)

PS...Hey, ArenaNet! Can we get a character creation do-over button? Half the time our characters don't look like they did when we were creating them. Thanks!

Totally agree. And I'm a pretty sad gamer girl and was so annoyed with having low res settings I forked out over 1k for a gaming laptop and now run my beautiful sylvari mushroom around. But I bet when you created that char you loved playing it or spent hours being part of the game in customerisation. All this adds to gw2 popularity. It's a shame they can't get on board. Like it's 2020 and we have basic creation for a world wide game that is owned by millions.

@suitedsaskia.6803 said:

@"GW Noob.6038" said:I've been spoiled by my heavily-modded (almost 500 mods running, atm) Fallout 4 game. As far as character creation goes, I have around 20 mods that give me access to over 400 hairstyles (with physics...and over 200 different color variations to choose from), nearly 100 eyebrow types/styles, several hundred eye color/types, as well as a vast plethora of facial textures such as scars, bruises, freckle/mole patterns, and many other blemishes that can be mixed and matched...then there's the makeup options, which number in the thousands! With powerful mods like Extended Facial Sculpting (now with 90% less beta!), Looksmenu Customization Compendium, and Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition (CBBE - Bodyslide), I can make my characters look
any
way I want...from head to toe. Comparatively speaking, MMO character "customization" is pathetic, to say the least. Why? Because poor people have pennies that need to be "captured" by game publishers and their crappy little $300 laptops can't run heavily modded games...not that MMO's can be heavily modified (or even lightly modified, for that matter), mind you - because that would destroy their cash-shop sales - just sayin'.

Totally agree. And I'm a pretty sad gamer girl and was so annoyed with having low res settings I forked out over 1k for a gaming laptop and now run my beautiful sylvari mushroom around. But I bet when you created that char you loved playing it or spent hours being part of the game in customerisation. All this adds to gw2 popularity. It's a shame they can't get on board. Like it's 2020 and we have basic creation for a world wide game that is owned by millions.

It's the 'bean counters' who ruin everything...I'm convinced that if Anet developers (not the management, mind you...those guys are enthralled by the bean-counters) could develop the game they wanted it would be vastly better than anything we've seen from them thus far. I am hopeful that we can eliminate the parasitic bankster-investors from the equation...then we might actually start seeing some truly epic games being developed.