Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

@Obtena.7952 said:I'm not asking you what armor you had, I'm asking you what armor you HAVE now.

.. and yes, this has lots to do with your argument that mounts don't offer an advantage if you don't use them and Anet didn't tell us to use mounts. Think about it. Using a mount to avoid content is the same.

I use green armor now because it saved me time haha 1 HoT event i was decked out lolBy this logic though do you feel that those who saved laurels day in day out to buy ascended trinkets etc is at an advantage because they been saving laurels? really it isnt hurting you as much as you feel it is. Do you feel that those who buy wp open packs are at an advantage to? do you feel that those who buy outfits are some how at an advantage look wise. because that is the point being made in the end.But has no fact to back it just perception of an individual that feels some how they are at disadvantage.

tldr if anet gave mounts away free PoF wouldn't sell as much as it currently is PoF and mounts are both new don't expect them to go free least anytime soon anet like every other game company on the planet want your money PoF is bringing in money point made like it or hate that's the raw un sugar coated truth don't expect it to change it might but wont be for long time.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you chosen traits? Skills for your hotbar?

You see, the choices you have made to create your character are the same choices you are saying you can use to not take advantage of mounts ... yet you've made those choices in gear to get advantages ... so choosing traits/skills/armor prefix for their advantages ... that's OK, choosing to use a mount for theirs ... that's not? Seems to me that you have a little contradiction going.

So no, you are wrong ... mounts DO give advantages. It's the reason people use them ... just like gear/skills and stats. If mounts were just cosmetic, they wouldn't have purpose, there wouldn't BE a reason to choose them, but they aren't ... just like gear/skills and stats. People that use mounts choose them for the specific advantage they need ... just like people using gear choose them for the specific advantages they give. If you can't see how mounts are just another piece of equippable gear that you can choose to give you advantages ... then you should probably rethink your understanding of the game.

Now, I don't think mounts should be outside of paid content. One reason IS that they give some advantages to paid players; I don't see a problem with that. But it IS important to be honest and see what those advantages are and how they affect the old content. This isn't something that can be simply dismissed with lols and insults.

@Obtena.7952 said:Have you chosen traits? Skills for your hotbar?

You see, the choices you have made to create your character are the same choices you are saying you can use to not take advantage of mounts ... yet you've made those choices in gear to get advantages ... so choosing traits/skills/armor prefix ... that's OK, choosing to use a mount ... that's not. Seems to me that you have a little contradiction going.

Not i got the contradiction check the mirror sometime. lol Ok lets play your argument i could say you got an advantage over a new person to the game because you know how to reach a vista point and the new player doesn't you make it to it quicker is it fair for new player to complain you saved time? tell me now how your progression is some how not advantageous over a new comer.

i say lets just make everybody level 80 remove all progression give everything i mean the entire game expacs mounts everything away for free nobody has no advantages anet not making money let me know how long the game lasts. let me know how long you stay interested aswell let me know how many of your friends quit and how many stay. Analyze that theory for a bit.

Your armor argument is false because it don't put me at an advantage, because everyone else can do it just as easily as I did. just like everyone can buy the dang expansion lmao. Your argument has no substance no reasoning to it. No logic even.

I don't understand you are going on about ... I'm not saying everyone should have mounts. I am saying they give you advantages for certain parts of the core game and those advantages degrade the Core game experience. For some reason you challenged that with a flippant question about the difficulty that's avoided doing vista's with mounts. Perhaps you should LMAO less and read more.

I'm starting to think that the argument is about "racing"."This person can get to this 1st""This person can get to this boss 1st""This person can go loot this 1st""This person can get to this vista 1st""This person can get to the other side of this without waypointing 1st""This person can get to point G from point A 1st" (Which could also be the same for gliders)

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:HP and MP trains don't have to use mounts. Who says there is only one way to do things? If there are enough people without mounts wanting to form a train, all the better for it.Have a commander/leader form a train specifically for those without mounts.I think it's a bit ironic that before PoF rolled out that many people were dissing the mounts, now they are refusing to dis-mount!

Bit hard to form a train...when there's another mounted train killing off the champs before you can get there.

Tag up and start your own then. Who said there needs to be only 1 train? Up to free players to adapt. Got a train for the mounters got a train for the walkers.Problem solved. i'm talking on behalf of the HP/MP champs world bosses you got time to get to em even if ya walking. Use swiftness or speed modifying trait/signet not much slower than a mount.

Except the champs don't spawn quick enough for both.Btw "free players"?...I have the expacs...doesn't mean I don't recognise that mounts cause problems for those unmounted.

Except for like 1 champ in HoT, they don't die instantly.For PoF, while I have been to some of those trains (mainly because the characters I bought were like level 20 to level 50 so... they couldn't do it on their own)... they are pretty much doable as one person if you don't have to worry too much on random enemy aggro around the Hero Points, or better yet with 2 or 3 people.

So what I'm wondering is which hero points are you talking about?

I'm talking about core Tyria, I was playing SW and champs there die to mounted players before unmounted can catch up for the most part.

The problem would only then be that those on mounts just got there, but the Champions were dying quickly due to their attacks and not because the mount.Before mounts I've seen many times where I see an enemy and I try to reach it in time, but I got there when it's at 50% or less and the hp just melted away and dies inches away from me.And I would assume you mean just the little random ones and not the actual meta or the Legendaries that give titles/masteries as I've never seen those things die so fast unless someone calls out "Legend here" and then people just melt it like they're the damn sun on a snowflake.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I'm starting to think that the argument is about "racing"."This person can get to this 1st""This person can get to this boss 1st""This person can go loot this 1st""This person can get to this vista 1st""This person can get to the other side of this without waypointing 1st""This person can get to point G from point A 1st" (Which could also be the same for gliders)

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:HP and MP trains don't have to use mounts. Who says there is only one way to do things? If there are enough people without mounts wanting to form a train, all the better for it.Have a commander/leader form a train specifically for those without mounts.I think it's a bit ironic that before PoF rolled out that many people were dissing the mounts, now they are refusing to dis-mount!

Bit hard to form a train...when there's another mounted train killing off the champs before you can get there.

Tag up and start your own then. Who said there needs to be only 1 train? Up to free players to adapt. Got a train for the mounters got a train for the walkers.Problem solved. i'm talking on behalf of the HP/MP champs world bosses you got time to get to em even if ya walking. Use swiftness or speed modifying trait/signet not much slower than a mount.

Except the champs don't spawn quick enough for both.Btw "free players"?...I have the expacs...doesn't mean I don't recognise that mounts cause problems for those unmounted.

Except for like 1 champ in HoT, they don't die instantly.For PoF, while I have been to some of those trains (mainly because the characters I bought were like level 20 to level 50 so... they couldn't do it on their own)... they are pretty much doable as one person if you don't have to worry too much on random enemy aggro around the Hero Points, or better yet with 2 or 3 people.

I'm talking about core Tyria, I was playing SW and champs there die to mounted players before unmounted can catch up for the most part.

The problem would only then be that those on mounts just got there, but the Champions were dying quickly due to their attacks and not because the mount.Before mounts I've seen many times where I see an enemy and I try to reach it in time, but I got there when it's at 50% or less and the hp just melted away and dies inches away from me.And I would assume you mean just the little random ones and not the actual meta or the Legendaries that give titles/masteries as I've never seen those things die so fast unless someone calls out "Legend here" and then people just melt it like they're the kitten sun on a snowflake.

Well, it's one example. Keeping up with the zerg is more difficult if you don't have a mount.

Mounts also, over power low level map enemies which make it harder on new players to tag enemies.

Point is mounts are a problem in core Tyria....but nothing is likely to change, still they do cause problems to unmounted players and it just goes to show that Anet didn't think the mounts through.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I'm starting to think that the argument is about "racing"."This person can get to this 1st""This person can get to this boss 1st""This person can go loot this 1st""This person can get to this vista 1st""This person can get to the other side of this without waypointing 1st""This person can get to point G from point A 1st" (Which could also be the same for gliders)

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

The problem would only then be that those on mounts just got there, but the Champions were dying quickly due to their attacks and not because the mount.Before mounts I've seen many times where I see an enemy and I try to reach it in time, but I got there when it's at 50% or less and the hp just melted away and dies inches away from me.And I would assume you mean just the little random ones and not the actual meta or the Legendaries that give titles/masteries as I've never seen those things die so fast unless someone calls out "Legend here" and then people just melt it like they're the kitten sun on a snowflake.

Well, it's one example. Keeping up with the zerg is more difficult if you don't have a mount.

Mounts also, over power low level map enemies which make it harder on new players to tag enemies.

Point is mounts are a problem in core Tyria....but nothing is likely to change, still they do cause problems to unmounted players and it just goes to show that Anet didn't think the mounts through.

This isn't really a problem. The Champs respawn and you can do them at your leisure. How fast you get there is irrelevant. I mean, if your complaint is following a champ train ... that seems like a really weak reason to get mounts outside of POF

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't understand you are going on about ... I'm not saying everyone should have mounts. I am saying they give you advantages for certain parts of the core game and those advantages degrade the Core game experience. For some reason you challenged that with a flippant question about the difficulty that's avoided doing vista's with mounts. Perhaps you should LMAO less and read more.

I can't help but laugh because the argument has no logic it's hilarious to see people think like this in gw2 actually bit sad to. Man i miss gw1 more and more community over there was great. (not bad here either always gonna be weird perspectives most people I've ran into been pretty straight up players and people as a whole) Sure always some sorta complaint, always will be, but least logic was backing most of the arguments and even facts themselves. Anyways, sorry you feel way you do, truth is guess you might need get used to it. Changes come they happen a great deal in this game, i remember when commander tag costed 100g. I've seen alotta changes happen in gw2 both good and bad but people adapted and continue to play. Those that hated all the changes left, i still see a few my old old 1st days of gw2 friends return though.They always return unless they got banned that happens to. But the part I find so hilarious how you got mad had to drop to the personal attacks on me that there tells me all i need to know about you and your argument.

I'ma have to agree with ayumi the argument seems to be based on some personal narcissistic race of some kind. Vista points arnt a race nor champions nor jumping puzzles etc. Sure I mean you can tell yourself oh ima make it to vista before bob oh look bob fell off cliff ahahahaha I win bob lol. But theres no meaning to it, no point to such things.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

Can you speficially tell me which low level enemies because I would hope you don't mean the fodder enemies that there's an abundance of in like the starter maps that I already can 1 shot myself without a mount?

I remember someone telling everyone "Let's all get on raptor and see if we can one shot the Fire Element" in Metrica."I didn't think it would work, but I decided to give it a go.Not even 5% of the hp dropped from the Raptor attacks.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't understand you are going on about ... I'm not saying everyone should have mounts. I am saying they give you advantages for certain parts of the core game and those advantages degrade the Core game experience. For some reason you challenged that with a flippant question about the difficulty that's avoided doing vista's with mounts. Perhaps you should LMAO less and read more.

I can't help but laugh because the argument has no logic it's hilarious to see people think like this in gw2 actually bit sad to. Man i miss gw1 more and more community over there was great. (not bad here either always gonna be weird perspectives most people I've ran into been pretty straight up players and people as a whole) Sure always some sorta complaint, always will be, but least logic was backing most of the arguments and even facts themselves. Anyways, sorry you feel way you do, truth is guess you might need get used to it. Changes come they happen a great deal in this game, i member when commander tag costed 100g. I've seen alotta changes happen in gw2 both good and bad but people adapted and continue to play. Those that hated all the changes left, i still see a few my old old 1st days of gw2 friends return though.They always return unless they got banned that happens to. But the part I find so hilarious how you got mad had to drop to the personal attacks on me that there tells me all i need to know about you and your argument.

I'ma have to agree with ayumi the argument seems to be based on some personal narcissistic race of some kind. Vista points arnt a race nor champions nor jumping puzzles etc. Sure I mean you can tell yourself oh ima make it to vista before bob oh look bob fell off cliff ahahahaha I win bob lol. But theres no meaning to it, no point to such things.

The argument is just acknowledging that at it's core, mounts are just like any other piece of gear. Hence, they come with the same reasons and choices that gear does with the end resulting in give the player and advantage. It's really irrelevant if you can't see how that works. I don't get what this 'race' stuff you are talking about. I never said anything about racing so I don't know why you are responding to me about it. I'm going to ask you try to follow what I'm saying if you want to respond to me. I'm going to have to stop responding to you though ... clearly you aren't understanding the simple concept being presented, or you just want to argue for fun.

@Obtena.7952 said:Because the hard parts are skipped by jumping in the bunny.

Theres your contradiction why is skipping something bad? if they've done it before why are you worried what they are doing on a mount? Can you prove they have never done it naturally before hand? Making an argument over someone skipping a hard part to me comes accross as you are upset they got to it quicker, because they skipped a hard part that you can not skip. (take it some how as an advantage)

If that's not what you meant maybe you should have explained your point of view a little more on that instead of trying side track me with some armor decision/argument.Your view point is settled nothing i say will change it, I used be like that when i was younger never able see it from anothers eyes. But i will admit when i had no mount i seen no differently then I do now. i don't take mounts as an advantage over me, i can do things certain things just as quickly on foot with swiftness. Not all ofcoarse but at the same time i don't care how people get from point a to point b doesn't bother me, never has never will.Probably why I'm enjoying the game more even when mounts are out and about.

Anyways, sorry you feel way you do. Personally, i like to see mounts moving about, world seems more alive in game. Think it was a good idea and one that was begged for, for over 5 years now. It's about time. Sure I think they should have been here from day one, but they were not. Now they are, people will have to adapt to the change or quit game and or keep hope alive you get one in core. Personally, i don't expect it to happen atleast not for another year or until next xpac drops.

So lets just agree that we disagree & move on, your view is firm and so is mine we both know that arguing over it is like beating a dead horse, neither of us getting any where with the other. Just pointless argument at the giving moment in time.

Just to let ya know I'm in exotic and ascended (accessories trinkets that stuff) gear. Don't think I have ever used green armor maybe when i first started but that was long time ago. I did stay in rare till HoT though i had to use exotic when i first started it as HoT was a step up in difficulty even though stat points aren't much more they did help a great deal. Now i could probably drop back to rare as I've learnt the content how mobs work. I could probably use white stuff and do hot now I might have to try that one night sounds interesting.

@Taygus.4571 said:Mounts also, over power low level map enemies which make it harder on new players to tag enemies.

That is misleading and very vague information, i do same thing with a warrior and no mount. I 1 hit mobs with a warrior using dual axes and basic non-expansion traits and just weapon skills. Thats in low level zone, i kill most trash mobs in HoT (non vets non elites just basics) with 4 hits sometimes quicker when my crits hit. You must be playing on a squishy or maybe dont use damage builds. but mount scales damage just like a normal player. Mounts don't hit no where as hard as my char does. not even on crits kinda hit bout like my engineer did with berserker build using a rifle. I don't consider that as OP to be honest.

I didn't bother reading this so here is this(Caps lock on)

YOU DO NOT NEED MOUNTS TO ADVANCE IN CORE TYRIA, I REPEAT YOU DO NOT NEED MOUNTS TO ADVANCE IN CORE TYRIA (end caps lock)

Seriously, why is this even discussed? If you're unwilling to move from a free to play account or base account, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Its 30 dollars for all 3, its not an arm or leg.

What's next, being able to try out elite specs?Gliding?Masteries?The whole game?In fact, give them Anet itself.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

They have already stated that the mount skills are beyond over tuned in low level maps, they are initiation skills, designed to deal a bit of damage and maybe bring some utility like stuns or barriers. They are aware of the issue and have already stated the intention to fix it. Hopefully they realize in low level maps it should do no more damage than a person of that level in that zone not scaled by the person who has all 80 gear with decent stats and all specs in a level 10 zone thats only scaled down but still strong, so there should be no way for it to instant kill an enemy unless it is already that low.They see they made a mistake with the numbers for the initiation skills, so soon there should be nothing wrong with mounters attacking in low level zones soon.

As for the speed, sorry but there are that many way points in central tyria maps that realistically mounts just get you between those a smidge faster but overall just make QOL easier for people. Many people with mounts just don't waypoint as often is all. Map completion for someone who has done it the genuine way and is still doing it on more characters gets to do it a bit faster. People who were running for materials on maps get to do it a bit faster.

There is no problem with mounts in core tyria other than the current strength of the initiation skills being scaled incorrectly which is going to be fixed.

@Taygus.4571 said:I actually don't care that people can get to stuff easier. My issue, is that they are not down levelled enough and they completely obliterate enemies in low level maps.This is makes it harder to tag enemies if you are playing a new character.

This is definitely some thing that needs fixing

Most people who have mounts and go back to the core game have already done a lot of the content already. Doing it on a mount is most likely an alt. If a trial player really wants the mounts, buy the game, and then do the work that it takes to get to 80, go to PoF, and get the mounts. I see no need to give them a trial glider or trial mount.

As for the above poster's issue with downleveling, that probably needs a thread of its own rather than adding to this one. I kind of agree with you, though.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:i don't take mounts as an advantage over me, i can do things certain things just as quickly on foot with swiftness.

That's not what I'm talking about. You might be fixated on some kind of race concept; I have never eluded to anything of the sort. I'm talking about real advantages you can't get without a mount, like avoiding mob control or gaining easy location access. For instance I completed a mastery in Orr easily because of a mount. Perhaps Anet will fix that but for now, it exists. Those are REAL advantages over someone who is on foot.

F2P are at a disadvantage to people who own HoT or PoF, but that how it's supposed to be. Why would they have access to mounts, gliding and new specs for free. There is no money in just giving it away. Be thankful that you don't have a sub fee or F2P until you hit x level. F2P is more like an extended demo to see if you like it before you buy it. It worked since you enjoyed it so much that you took the plunge and purchased both xpacs.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:i don't take mounts as an advantage over me, i can do things certain things just as quickly on foot with swiftness.

That's not what I'm talking about. You might be fixated on some kind of race concept; I have never eluded to anything of the sort. I'm talking about real advantages you can't get without a mount, like avoiding mob control or gaining easy location access. For instance I completed a mastery in Orr easily because of a mount. Perhaps Anet will fix that but for now, it exists. Those are REAL advantages over someone who is on foot.

But isn't this how all MMOs work? Of course a veteran player is going to have an advantage over a newer one; better equipment, more experience,
mounts
, etc. I'm personally enjoying the mounts greatly, and appreciate how much easier they make traversing maps. Also, anyone that threw money at Anet for PoF has this advantage. There is going to be a downside to not being a paying customer. Why should I not have an advantage over a free-to-play player?

First as many people stated before, we didnt have mounts for year and yet map completition on core tyria was possible, yes mounts make it easier now but just as a quality of life, now you make it sound like this was a f2p game by saying "f2p players" which is a false statment, the correct and more accurate one would be "buy to play game" and "Free TRIAL players" this game by no means is mean to play f2p forever, you're going to be stuck on the trial forever, just because here we dont have a time based trial period, doesnt mean it is not a trial.

On a side note, is not like you get a free month right after you buy pof you need to do your personal story and level the masteries (in order to unlock different ones) and buy them with actual gold....

@crewthief.8649 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

But isn't this how all MMOs work? Of course a veteran player is going to have an advantage over a newer one; better equipment, more experience,
mounts
, etc. I'm personally enjoying the mounts greatly, and appreciate how much easier they make traversing maps. Also, anyone that threw money at Anet for PoF has this advantage. There is going to be a downside to not being a paying customer. Why should I not have an advantage over a free-to-play player?

Agreed ... I think this just reinforces my original point; mounts are just gear ... gear gives advantages.

The question here is if f2P should have this advantage. I would say they shouldn't, as there isn't anything they need it for in the parts of the game they can access.

@crewthief.8649 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

mounts

Exactly i see it as progression i have no idea why that other person thinks im fixiated on race i have to be he/she w/e they are ignores all my facts and truths. I'm just gonna ignore someone can't handle such things. I have no time for people who have no reasoning or logic in their arguments. Because pointless to try and communicate with people like that have no logic or sense of progression.

@Obtena.7952 said:

maybe it's way you word things you come accross as sounding out of favor of mounts because people can do this or that. I can evade mobs run every map using swiftness not from advantage of swiftness maybe advantage of knowledge but thats something you can't put a rule on.Even on foot I can do things in core tyria that mounts can do and vice versus. I've done all things doable on foot in tyria most of it wasn't hard some jps was but any jp ive came to mounts have been disabled. Main reason i fixate on race theory was your primary point you felt those who short cut saved time and was having an advantage, because some one on foot couldn't save that time. i know when i started I wasn't worried about saving time, i was enjoying the game no matter how quickly another did things, it had no affect on me or my fun factor. If another feels saving time is an advantage over another they probably shouldn't be playing a game or gw2 anyways. Do you feel those waste their lives playing gw2 some how has an advantage? Sure they get things done faster than you but in the end have no advantage at all because every thing caps in game, mounts are capped as well in ability and what they can and can not do.

At least in PvE play. Now if this topic was about competitive play oh yea there is a clear and straightforward advantage over another. But we talking bout PvE.I don't see any NPC on here arguing that players have an advantage over them you ever looked at yourself from there point of view ofcoarse not.......