1300 Gems for 3 Pieces of an Armor Set

Compared to the price of expansions, literally everything in the gem store is overpriced. Everything in the gem store has always been overpriced. People still buy that stuff so I wouldn't expect Anet to change their microtransaction model any more than I'd expect every new AAA release to stop having loot boxes.

Its an annoying thing that everyone claims to hate, but since nobody is actually voting with their wallet, it is going to continue. As long as those items sell, at those price points, or with the same nonsense gambling mechanics, they will continue to use a working monetization strategy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Wintermute.5408 said:For all the skimpy female armor, they still don't do female boots with high heels...

We have the Phalanx heavy boots, which are ridiculous, thigh-high "boots" with heels.

There's Phalanx boot sets, and there's those heavy Bladed Armor boots that appear to have heels. Those are also knee/thigh high.

@Malediktus.9250 said:1300/1500 gems in this example for 3 pieces of armor is definitely overpriced no matter how good the game is in relation to the 30€ expansion price.

It's 9 skins, not 3 pieces of armor.Of course, you can say that you think it's overpriced for you; you just can't factually claim it's overpriced for anyone else. (For myself, it's overpriced at 10 gems each because I think the skins, all nine of them, are unattractive and can't think of any time I'd want to use them. For you, you can't see why any set of skins should cost more than an expansion.)

The closest we can get to an objective statement about whether something is overpriced is whether it didn't sell well, and that's something for which we'll never have reliable data.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The closest we can get to an objective statement about whether something is overpriced is whether it didn't sell well, and that's something for which we'll never have reliable data.

Well we can kind of tell. If something sells well we will see similar things over and over. If it sells bad we wont or future similar items will be lower in price.

@Drew.1865 said:If something seems to expensive or unreasonably priced I don't buy it. I can only control what I purchase not the cost of it.

This is true. It is also true that people can and should express their views on it as well as not spending the money. That's why ArenaNet has these forums. The forums are here for communicating with ArenaNet and each other and that includes the opinions of the loyal people that pay their salaries and are consumers of the game.

We are supposedly their valued customers. As customers, we should want to tell ArenaNet precisely what we think about their goods and services in the most concise and constructive way possible.

I think the fact that a lot of people for a few years have been asking for the return of full armor sets to the cash shop and ArenaNet responding by putting up 3 pieces of an incomplete set and for more cash than other sets on the shop that are FULL SETS does not jive with what I would consider good business on the end of the consumer.

It is overpriced as all kitten and I've no idea what Anet were thinking. The cynic in me fears that they are testing the waters for how a later pricehike of skins in general would go over with their playerbase... Like if 1300 Gems for an incomplete armour set is happily gobbled down by the players, we'll see it being phased in as the new standard eventually.

I hope I'm wrong.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:yes, 1300 gems = 16,25€. PoF costed 30€, so these 3 armor pieces cost as much as half an expansion

The gemshop prices are outrageously expensive for what you get in this game. And this is for stuff you can outright buy. Black lion chest exclusives can easily cost you 50€ a pop with average luck.

How is even an arguement?This is almost like a monthly subscription an optional feature to make any purchases in the Gem Store rather than being forced to.If I wanted to be a cheap skate I wouldn't purchase anything aside from the core game & Xpacs.

lol I spent thousands on this game. Does not change the fact that I usually find it overpriced for what you get

This exactly what I've spent on Gem purchases in over 5yrs 1 month 13 days as of today.

$1234.28 USD for 61 months $20.23 USD a month.

For $20.23 USD a month which is more than any subscription base game,
THIS GAME IS WORTH IT!

I spend a lot of money on this game as well, some people might call me a whale considering I spend at least $20 a month, sometimes as much as $50, none the less the pricing for this bundle is completely out of touch compared to the price of a full armor set.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:yes, 1300 gems = 16,25€. PoF costed 30€, so these 3 armor pieces cost as much as half an expansion

The gemshop prices are outrageously expensive for what you get in this game. And this is for stuff you can outright buy. Black lion chest exclusives can easily cost you 50€ a pop with average luck.

How is even an arguement?This is almost like a monthly subscription an optional feature to make any purchases in the Gem Store rather than being forced to.If I wanted to be a cheap skate I wouldn't purchase anything aside from the core game & Xpacs.

Because whole sets of armor with 6 pieces is cheaper, that's why.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

lol I spent thousands on this game. Does not change the fact that I usually find it overpriced for what you get

This exactly what I've spent on Gem purchases in over 5yrs 1 month 13 days as of today.

THIS GAME IS WORTH IT!

I spend a lot of money on this game as well, some people might call me a whale considering I spend at least $20 a month, sometimes as much as $50, none the less the pricing for this bundle is completely out of touch compared to the price of a full armor set.

^I agree with this 100%. I have multiple accounts. I've purchased a LOT of stuff on the gem shop. I want to support the game. I can do that while still thinking a price tag is too steep on an item or items in the gem shop. I should also want to express my views about that to ArenaNet in a concise and respectful way.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:This might be off topic, but seeing the whole conversation is Gem Store armour skins... is there even a light armour skin within the Gem Store that's actual pants?

The Profane Set has pants but that is about it from what I can recall off the top of my head. It's also way less than 300 gems per piece which would segue nicely into being back on topic :)

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:This might be off topic, but seeing the whole conversation is Gem Store armour skins... is there even a light armour skin within the Gem Store that's actual pants?

The Profane Set has pants but that is about it from what I can recall off the top of my head. It's also way less than 300 gems per piece which would segue nicely into being back on topic :)

Um... which Profane?If it's the one that's in the shop right now... I'm seeing no pants.

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

@Drew.1865 said:If something seems to expensive or unreasonably priced I don't buy it. I can only control what I purchase not the cost of it.

This is true. It is also true that people can and should express their views on it as well as not spending the money. That's why ArenaNet has these forums. The forums are here for communicating with ArenaNet and each other and that includes the opinions of the loyal people that pay their salaries and are consumers of the game.

We are supposedly their valued customers. As customers, we should want to tell ArenaNet precisely what we think about their goods and services in the most concise and constructive way possible.

I think the fact that a lot of people for a few years have been asking for the return of full armor sets to the cash shop and ArenaNet responding by putting up 3 pieces of an incomplete set and for more cash than other sets on the shop that are
FULL SETS
does not jive with what I would consider good business on the end of the consumer.

I think the fact that a lot of people for years asked that ANet not continue to add armor sets to the gemstore means that Anet not adding full sets to the gemstore is a pretty solid business practice.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Um... which Profane?If it's the one that's in the shop right now... I'm seeing no pants.

The Profane set is just panties and straps.Light armor females have no actual pants. The closest they have are the Embroidered Pants, but they're really puffy and not what anyone has been requesting since launch. lol

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

I think the fact that a lot of people for a few years have been asking for the return of full armor sets to the cash shop and ArenaNet responding by putting up 3 pieces of an incomplete set and for more cash than other sets on the shop that are
FULL SETS
does not jive with what I would consider good business on the end of the consumer.

People made post after post asking for armor to be in game instead of gemstore. ANet, some time back, posted on their blog saying that they would no longer sell full sets of armor but reserve them for expansion releases. It’s most unlikely that they’re going to do a turn around and change back, especially considering they can make more profit with pieces of armor. Stuff like this is why people should be careful of what they ask ANet to change.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

THIS GAME IS WORTH IT!
I look at the value of the item I spent money on, not on the value of the game. It is not my fault if anet refuses to charge us a subscription fee. 1300/1500 gems in this example for 3 pieces of armor is definitely overpriced no matter how good the game is in relation to the 30€ expansion price.

Value is subjective, an importance to an individual. Hence, the word I used is WORTH, valuing the game in it's entirety, I never limited or excluded any features in the game.

However, I'll throw you a bone to help you actually further your argument. If you do your research you can see that prices are comparable to Black Desert Online costumes. Another B2P game with heavy micro-transition cash shop. Merry Xmas, consider it as a gift!

@videoboy.4162 said:

The Profane set is just panties and straps.Light armor females have no actual pants. The closest they have are the Embroidered Pants, but they're really puffy and not what anyone has been requesting since launch. lol

Yeah that's what I thought.Light Armour all I see is skirts and panties. skirts and panties. "Pants with cape flap" and Skirts and panties.Really wish I could at least use medium skins on light armour.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@videoboy.4162 said:

Yeah that's what I thought.Light Armour all I see is skirts and panties. skirts and panties. "Pants with cape flap" and Skirts and panties.Really wish I could at least use medium skins on light armour.

Sorry, I play a dude norn mesmer. they're pants on dudes. apologies.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

FULL SETS

People made post after post asking for armor to be in game instead of gemstore. ANet, some time back, posted on their blog saying that they would no longer sell full sets of armor but reserve them for expansion releases. It’s most unlikely that they’re going to do a turn around and change back, especially considering they can make more profit with pieces of armor. Stuff like this is why people should be careful of what they ask ANet to change.

You're missing the whole point of my post. It's about it being too expensive. None of the many people in "post after post" as you correctly put it were wanting ArenaNet to only sell 3 pieces and for more gems than normal. If we don't tell ArenaNet what we want with our words and wallets they won't know. Heck, of the earnable sets in PoF, the Elonian and Spearmarshal are the same set. It's just two variations on a theme. The Sunspear and Elonian sets in GW1 were two WHOLLY DIFFERENT SETS. Their armor implementation is lacking and that's a kind word from me about what I think of it.

@Ashen.2907 said:ANet pulled back from putting armor sets in the gemstore in response to player request. Sure not everyone agreed with the requests, but they were there. Partial sets in the gemstore are a compromise between those desiring armor sets in the gemstore and those preferring otherwise.

Not a perfect solution, but compromises are rarely perfect.

Sorry but that doesn't match up with what I remember them saying. In fact I specifically remember them saying outfits were easier to implement than individual armour skins, or at least that was the key reason stated.

As for the wider discussion I do agree with the OP it is steep, but people will pay for it so Anet won't care. It will be the same for mount skins whatever they decide to charge for them.

I do lament the fact so many of the best skins go into the gem store, but I guess this is just a side effect of their financial model and the fact they know they can get away with it.

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

FULL SETS

You're missing the whole point of my post. It's about it being too expensive. None of the many people in "post after post" as you correctly put it were wanting ArenaNet to only sell 3 pieces and for more gems than normal. If we don't tell ArenaNet what we want with our words and wallets they won't know. Heck, of the earnable sets in PoF, the Elonian and Spearmarshal are the same set. It's just two variations on a theme. The Sunspear and Elonian sets in GW1 were two
WHOLLY DIFFERENT SETS
. Their armor implementation is lacking and that's a kind word from me about what I think of it.

I was responding to this part of your post

I think the fact that a lot of people for a few years have been asking for the return of full armor sets to the cash shop and ArenaNet responding by putting up 3 pieces of an incomplete set and for more cash than other sets on the shop that are FULL SETS does not jive with what I would consider good business on the end of the consumer.

Where I explained that reason why ANet is putting up partial sets in the gemstore instead of full sets and why we probably won’t see them again.

As to price, they have told us that armor is the most expensive thing they make. The full sets in the gemstore are probably underpriced and the prices on the pieces are more in line with the cost they say it takes. If armor is the most expensive thing they make then it’s going to cost more.

Archived