What a great experience.

I'm currently playing through the Path of Fire story line and I am really enjoying the experience. Being able to get lost in the story, but also step out and get lost in exploring the different map objectives, and join events with others along the way really makes my first play through Guild Wars 2 a really rich experience. This game really has a lot going for it, and I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks.

@Crafterofstars.4512 said:I'm currently playing through the Path of Fire story line and I am really enjoying the experience. Being able to get lost in the story, but also step out and get lost in exploring the different map objectives, and join events with others along the way really makes my first play through Guild Wars 2 a really rich experience. This game really has a lot going for it, and I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks.

I wish I could agree with you. But having played through it, I find that they've left a loose end, of so significant dimensions that it's made everything that followed after it, an absolute anguish to play through. :anguished:

! Balthazar has been given many titles, including:! Bringer of War! Finder of Wisdom! He That Shows Us the Final Truth! Judge of the Powerful! Revealer of Strength! Scourge of the Prideful!

! There is NOTHING in the game that inform of us what made Balthazar loose his mind. There is nothing in the story that explains what happened to his mind and how he lost it. There is nothing in the story that justify that he wont hear your character out and Talk with them. There is nothing in the story that tells us, why he is behaving polar opposite of the character traits for which he seems to be worshiped, in the first place.

Through out all of PoF, I hoped for an explanation. I hoped they would elaborate on this, because it makes no sense that they would do this. At least, not in accordance to the established lore. But it never came, and so, It's become very hard for me to replay PoF... It's a great story... It just lacks that one essential element that binds it all together... The worst part is, they had the chance to deliver it... They just didn't ever mention it... It is as though they had completely forgotten who Balthazar was... And I find that very, very sad...

@Zelanard.5806 said:

@Crafterofstars.4512 said:I'm currently playing through the Path of Fire story line and I am really enjoying the experience. Being able to get lost in the story, but also step out and get lost in exploring the different map objectives, and join events with others along the way really makes my first play through Guild Wars 2 a really rich experience. This game really has a lot going for it, and I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks.

I wish I could agree with you. But having played through it, I find that they've left a loose end, of so significant dimensions that it's made everything that followed after it, an absolute anguish to play through. :anguished:

! Balthazar has been given many titles, including:! Bringer of War! Finder of Wisdom! He That Shows Us the Final Truth! Judge of the Powerful! Revealer of Strength! Scourge of the Prideful!

! There is NOTHING in the game that inform of us what made Balthazar loose his mind. There is nothing in the story that explains what happened to his mind and how he lost it. There is nothing in the story that justify that he wont hear your character out and Talk with them. There is nothing in the story that tells us, why he is behaving polar opposite of the character traits for which he seems to be worshiped, in the first place.

Through out all of PoF, I hoped for an explanation. I hoped they would elaborate on this, because it makes no sense that they would do this. At least, not in accordance to the established lore. But it never came, and so, It's become very hard for me to replay PoF... It's a great story... It just lacks that one essential element that binds it all together... The worst part is, they had the chance to deliver it... They just didn't ever mention it... It is as though they had completely forgotten who Balthazar was... And I find that very, very sad...

Considering not many of the gw1 vets seem to be left you might not be far from the truth about them not knowing who Balthazar was.

@Linken.6345 said:

Considering not many of the gw1 vets seem to be left you might not be far from the truth about them not knowing who Balthazar was.

That is, sadly, very true. Though I must add that much of the new content is very, very good... I just can't play it with my HoT enthusiasm... (I played through hot more than 30 times, incl full exploration! xD)

@Zelanard.5806 said:

@"Crafterofstars.4512" said:I'm currently playing through the Path of Fire story line and I am really enjoying the experience. Being able to get lost in the story, but also step out and get lost in exploring the different map objectives, and join events with others along the way really makes my first play through Guild Wars 2 a really rich experience. This game really has a lot going for it, and I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks.

That is, sadly, very true. Though I must add that much of the new content is very, very good... I just can't play it with my HoT enthusiasm... (I played through hot more than 30 times, incl full exploration! xD)

You're quite wrong on them not explaining why Balthazar went rogue(he didn't lost his mind, he had an agenda to destroy the Elder Dragons and save humanity, the other Gods didn't think it would work since they "lost" once before and banished him, etc., etc.,) they did a nice job of it.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Crafterofstars.4512" said:I'm currently playing through the Path of Fire story line and I am really enjoying the experience. Being able to get lost in the story, but also step out and get lost in exploring the different map objectives, and join events with others along the way really makes my first play through Guild Wars 2 a really rich experience. This game really has a lot going for it, and I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks.

You're quite wrong on them not explaining why Balthazar went rogue(he didn't lost his mind, he had an agenda to destroy the Elder Dragons and save humanity, the other Gods didn't think it would work since they "lost" once before and banished him, etc., etc.,) they did a nice job of it.

As it is evident that you're referring to the Kormirs tale, that explains NOTHING about Balthazars complete and utter personality change. It does not explain why he's unwilling to negotiate with potential allies and it does not tell us why he's willing to sacrifice Tyria to kill the elder dragons. It does not tell us why he's carelessly sacrificing innocent people for his army, and it doesn't inform us why he's turned from Good to Evil. NOTHING he does in this story, is in accordance with the personality they established him to have, in previous lore.So no, they did not do a nice job, at all, at explaining why Balthazar changed so drastically. I mean, it would have been far better if they had killed Balthazar off and had Menzies (the mad) take his place. That would've made far better sense to the story...

EDIT: All Kormir is telling us, is what we already knew: He's gone mad and we don't know why and we wont help you. (The "we wont help you" we already knew, because that was the information that the five gave us, in gw1, when we were about to kill Abaddon). Why did balthazar change his mind? In Abaddon's case, he was perfectly fine standing back and doing nothing, telling humanity that we were on our own. What's going on here, makes NO sense at all.

@Zelanard.5806 said:

As it is evident that you're referring to the Kormirs tale, that explains NOTHING about Balthazars complete and utter personality change. It does not explain why he's unwilling to negotiate with potential allies and it does not tell us why he's willing to sacrifice Tyria to kill the elder dragons. It does not tell us why he's carelessly sacrificing innocent people for his army, and it doesn't inform us why he's turned from Good to Evil. NOTHING he does in this story, is in accordance with the personality they established him to have, in previous lore.So no, they did not do a nice job, at all, at explaining why Balthazar changed so drastically. I mean, it would have been far better if they had killed Balthazar off and had Menzies (the mad) take his place. That would've made far better sense to the story...

EDIT: All Kormir is telling us, is what we already knew: He's gone mad and we don't know why and we wont help you. (The "we wont help you" we already knew, because that was the information that the five gave us, in gw1, when we were about to kill Abaddon). Why did balthazar change his mind? In Abaddon's case, he was perfectly fine standing back and doing nothing, telling humanity that we were on our own. What's going on here, makes NO sense at all.

How would you act if you were stripped of your power and banished, then someone who didn't know who you were came along and released you? Just because he's a "God" doesn't mean he wouldn't react in human terms, I don't know why some people found it so hard to believe he would do anything he could to regain his lost power to try and destroy all the Elder Dragons that threatened to consume the world as he knew it...tunnel vision can be terrible thing to have when you think in your mind that your doing the right thing.

Also, there were still plenty of GW1 vet devs at ArenaNet when PoF was made, including some that had been heavily involved with the original story, and keep in mind all of GW2's story was white boarded before they even started working on the game, so I'm pretty sure the Balthazar track was already a part of the design from the very beginning, just not fleshed out at the time(for those of that remember Joko we knew that at some point we were going back to Elona to take care of him).

@Zaklex.6308 said:

How would you act if you were stripped of your power and banished, then someone who didn't know who you were came along and released you? Just because he's a "God" doesn't mean he wouldn't react in human terms, I don't know why some people found it so hard to believe he would do anything he could to regain his lost power to try and destroy all the Elder Dragons that threatened to consume the world as he knew it...tunnel vision can be terrible thing to have when you think in your mind that your doing the right thing.

Also, there were still plenty of GW1 vet devs at ArenaNet when PoF was made, including some that had been heavily involved with the original story, and keep in mind all of GW2's story was white boarded before they even started working on the game, so I'm pretty sure the Balthazar track was already a part of the design from the very beginning, just not fleshed out at the time(for those of that remember Joko we knew that at some point we were going back to Elona to take care of him).

On his return from being chained, he wanted to destroy the Dragons just for their power to enact his revenge - he never cared about the glory of beating them anymore or Tyria and was quite happy to see Tyria utterly destroyed to gain enough power and presumably go after those who "dimmed" him

When he first turned to killing the Dragons long before he was thrown down, he knew it would be cataclysmic then also. So why the sudden change of character back then? Boredom? Bit of a naff motivation, but if he won the Eternal War against Menzies, then perhaps? Glory? Why destroy Tyria when he'd been one of the ones who'd held off because of this very fact. Power? For what purpose at that time?

This is the issue - all of this should have been explained during his actual story arc, but it wasn't. He was just a former God on a power and revenge trip and that's it.

Also, if memory serves, the idea for Balth in the story was added just after they finished writing HoT according to n an old Guild Chat. It was not seeded prior to then

As a GW1 vet that's stuck around all these years in GW2, the Balthazar's lore breaking heel-face-turn was one of the worst things I felt that the writers had done to date. While it didn't completely ruin my general enjoyment of PoF, it certainly sullied it. I still think it would have been better if they'd gone with Menzie's instead.

I must admit that there were another thing which served as a huge disappointment: Chapter 9 was one of the greatest wasted potentials in the history of story writing.

! Instead of using this part of the story for something significant, we just pulled a halfhearted Gandalf and got an utterly boring recap of the story we have already played...! Sure it's significant later in the story because of our immunity to the scarab plague. But using a Gandalf like that, is so underwhelming that it's hard to take the story seriously... It's like they started off with a super interesting story arc, but decided to ditch it half way and just cut it short. They should have either made an epic comeback from the dead at a later point in time or in a different place, letting us fight to get to our comrades, or they should've skipped this part entirely.