Map of Planet Tyria

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Ara the Elegant.6825" said:I enjoy the idea of heroes from another land showing up for a conflict. But, as a few other people here have pointed out, ANet has been relying very heavily on old ideas, rehashing lore, and using old villains to tell new stories. I think the world of Tyria would feel much more alive and real if we visited far away lands and encountered very alien people and cultures. Wouldn't be hard to work into a story, either.

I had a thought a while ago - maybe a year or two - that ANet could replace the in-game world map with a globe that you could cling-and-drag to rotate. Would serve the same function as the one we have now, with waypoints in Tyria, Elona, and (soon) Cantha. But it would also have the rest of the world in there, for potential implementation. As the world expands, the in-game map grows bigger and bigger. When Cantha arrives, they may just extend the map downward, the way they did for Elona, or they may go the way of GW1 and add an icon to the map which brings you to another area. But I'd like to see a globe, myself.

Apparently the engine only supports a square(ish) map and is partly why everything has to be kept so contained. However, I really, really like the globe map idea hereNothing to do with the engine, they could easily have the map projected on a 3D sphere. Dont know if you are thinking about the instances themselves? From the post it seems like the idea is that its only the map (ie m key)... However, I fail to see the point. Since the "active" part of the world would only be like 1/20th of it, it would practicly be a mostly flat portion thats interesting anyway.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Ara the Elegant.6825" said:I enjoy the idea of heroes from another land showing up for a conflict. But, as a few other people here have pointed out, ANet has been relying very heavily on old ideas, rehashing lore, and using old villains to tell new stories. I think the world of Tyria would feel much more alive and real if we visited far away lands and encountered very alien people and cultures. Wouldn't be hard to work into a story, either.

I had a thought a while ago - maybe a year or two - that ANet could replace the in-game world map with a globe that you could cling-and-drag to rotate. Would serve the same function as the one we have now, with waypoints in Tyria, Elona, and (soon) Cantha. But it would also have the rest of the world in there, for potential implementation. As the world expands, the in-game map grows bigger and bigger. When Cantha arrives, they may just extend the map downward, the way they did for Elona, or they may go the way of GW1 and add an icon to the map which brings you to another area. But I'd like to see a globe, myself.

Apparently the engine only supports a square(ish) map and is partly why everything has to be kept so contained. However, I really, really like the globe map idea hereNothing to do with the engine, they could easily have the map projected on a 3D sphere. Dont know if you are thinking about the instances themselves? From the post it seems like the idea is that its only the map (ie m key)... However, I fail to see the point. Since the "active" part of the world would only be like 1/20th of it, it would practicly be a mostly flat portion thats interesting anyway.

Maybe not the engine, but it being a square(ish) world map was directly quoted from a dev "I think". I'll try and find the source if I can. Something to do with the way art assest are read or DAT file or something. I#m afraid I'm not a tech person so I'm plucking half remembered phrases

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:The foundry is not in Tyria it is in the mists and the titans are also creations rather than races born there before kormir basically cleansed the place alongside the gw1 heroes.

But yes, the World is under utilised and I’d like to see more of it. I believe some of those names are just placeholders though so I’m not sure Anet has any thoughts either.

No no it’s not THE foundry, it’s just a place known only as “Foundry”. Translated from some language, new Krytan I think so for all we know it’s wrong anyway.

That’s pretty much what I said ?I was responding to the op who thought it was the real foundry

My bad sorry, I started typing without reading the whole comment. I find the discussions about the larger world really fascinating and I hope we see some of these places someday

@Randulf.7614 said:

Maybe not the engine, but it being a square(ish) world map was directly quoted from a dev "I think". I'll try and find the source if I can. Something to do with the way art assest are read or DAT file or something. I#m afraid I'm not a tech person so I'm plucking half remembered phrases

The Devs were talking about the maps your characters play in when referencing 'square maps', not the World Map (M).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The Devs were talking about the maps your characters play in when referencing 'square maps', not the World Map (M).

I'm referencing a different conversation to that which occurred somewhere around the time they discussed why they wont put pve maps outside of the main world map (eg The Mists).

However, I unable to find the source so it is either inside a Guild Chat or am I muddling it with a community conversation about why this occurs since I did find some forum explanation about it in my search.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I'm referencing a different conversation to that which occurred somewhere around the time they discussed why they wont put pve maps outside of the main world map (eg The Mists).

However, I unable to find the source so it is either inside a Guild Chat or am I muddling it with a community conversation about why this occurs since I did find some forum explanation about it in my search.Pretty sure its still about instances, not the world map. Instances is just heightmaps in an X*Y fashion, like most games does it. 128x128, 256x512, 1024x1024, whatever (Z is irrelevant). The world map however woukd not have any such limitations. I dont know if its prerendered or dynamically rendered (well, WvW pretty much says its prerendered since the map never updates with changes), but Anet could replace the world map with a gif of a dancing Quaggan if they wanted to.

@Westenev.5289 said:You know what I find weird? Now that we have airships that make traveling a breeze (and are common enough that Elonian Pirates can purchase them), why have these tools only ever been used as troop transports to combat zones? Has anyone ever considered a more benign purpose, like circling the globe? O.O

There are many things that could be reasons for that.

1. Their fuel needs.

2. Their navigational capability.

3. Their risk factor of flying too far away from land and lack of acceptable potential crash sites.

4. There is an active war going on against Elder Dragons and what few remain probably cannot be spared for what most would likely deem an irrelevant or low priority mission.

5. The unknown capabilities of the Sea Dragon and it's location.. it could potentially threaten Airships trying to cross the ocean as well as Seafaring ones.

6. Most of the pact's Airships were obliterated during the pre-start of HoT, it's unknown how many active airships remain in the world but it's likely not that many.

7. Airship prototypes were originally Charr made and later modified with Human and Asuran Technology for use in the Pact.. so construction of further Airships would be in the hands of the Orders and the Pact who atm remain a somewhat unknown presence in the world.We've had little association or communication with the Pact in a good while and we do not know if they have recovered their numbers or military capabilities since Logan was put in charge.The last we heard mention of the Pact was during living world 4 when Rytlock sent warning to Logan about Joko's undead invasions and asking him to mobalize the pact to defend Tyria while we dealt with Joko.(Edit*) The Pact were also involved at Thunderhead Peaks in the fight against Kralkatorrik.

8. Almost all pirate Airships with the exception to Sayida the Sly's ship were stolen, not bought.. Sayida's ship is the only one confirmed to have been bought although from who we do not now.. her ship could also have been previously stolen and since it has a unique model and unknown asuran tech in it like the Aetherblades Airships there's a good chance it was.Although to note, her Airship crashed around Thunderhead Peaks during the events of living world 4 so it's unknown whether it was slavaged or completely destroyed.

Suffice to say there's probably a number of reasons why Airships havent gone exploring the world.

@"Teratus.2859" said:Suffice to say there's probably a number of reasons why Airships havent gone exploring the world.

The most likely reason being "Anet simply hadn't thought about it" - Airships have never had any these limitations before, and head canon isn't a great stopgap for the writing team.

Airships have:1) Never had fuel problems outside of having their magic cores physically ripped out (Personal Story Chapter 8 - Victory or Death)

2) Never had navigational problems. They've successfully navigated through storms (LS4 ep 2) and across continents (Lions Arch - Elona in PoF, Fort Trinity - Camp Resolve in LWS2)

3) Never been exclusively used by the pact, but rather used by the pact because of what they represent (unity between different species). The Lion Guard seem to own their own fleet of airships, and private airships have shown up in the hands of eccentric entrepreneurs who you wouldn't think would further anyone's war effort against the dragons (think Faren's Flier).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Faren%27s_Flyer

4) Been salvaged from the HoT crash sites - not every pact airship was irreparably destroyed in the fight against the dragon, and some were refitted in the Lions Arch Aerodrome for re-deployment. Even if all of the airships were wiped out, the fact that the pact was able to field almost 30 named airships in HoT (including at least 2 capital ships) proves they're not lacking in resources to build and maintain these things. If the pact could create 30 of these things in 2 years, think of how many they could create in the 4 that followed?

@Westenev.5289 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:Suffice to say there's probably a number of reasons why Airships havent gone exploring the world.

The most likely reason being "Anet simply hadn't thought about it" - Airships have never had any these limitations before, and head canon isn't a great stopgap for the writing team.

I believe one of the reasons they wrote in the pact fleets destruction was to limit their use.After all just being able to fly from A to B was in some ways a bit too easy.

Airships have:1) Never had fuel problems outside of having their magic cores physically ripped out (Personal Story Chapter 8 - Victory or Death)

Yes but my point was we don't know their fuel capabilities.. how long they can be in constant use before needing to refuel or recharge etc

2) Never had navigational problems. They've successfully navigated through storms (LS4 ep 2) and across continents (Lions Arch - Elona in PoF, Fort Trinity - Camp Resolve in LWS2)

LA to Elona is the longest voyage we've seen Airships do but this is all within known and explored territory.We've never used them to cross oceans before or navigate in the far north, we don't know if they are even capable of this because we don't know how they navigate.There doesn't appear to be any magical means of doing this so it could be that they navigate purely off the crew's own abilities, memory or sight which would make getting lost in unknown territory both possible and likely.

3) Never been exclusively used by the pact, but rather used by the pact because of what they represent (unity between different species). The Lion Guard seem to own their own fleet of airships, and private airships have shown up in the hands of eccentric entrepreneurs who you wouldn't think would further anyone's war effort against the dragons (think Faren's Flier).

No but they were exclusively made by the Pact.As I said the original prototype designs were made by the Charr but they were never constructed or used in the legions.It was the pact that first created the Airships after these Charr prototype designs were modified with human and Asura technology and the first Airships were built.

It's unknown how some individuals came into posession of Airships but we do know that Aetherblade Airships were stolen from the pact and further modified by their Inquest allies.. they later replicated more ships probably from reverse engineering the Pact's design but since Scarlets War ended there is no known continued relationship between the Aetherblades and Inquest and without that mutal advantage the Aetherblades cannot create new Airships on their own.. the Inquest may be able to though but it's not know if they have or need to.

We know that Ellen Kiel is the only Lionguard in possession of a personal Airship that she commandeered from the Aetherblades.Originally she give it to the Captains Council however the ship was given back to her so that she could officially become a "Captain" of a "ship" which is required for someone to be on the Captains Council.Don't mistake Captains Council aka Ship's Council for Airships though.. this was a unique loophole for Ellen Kiel, every other Captain on this council as far as I know is a Captain of a sea faring ship not an Airship.

As for other known Airships..Farens Flier has little to no information about how it was obtained.. my best guess is that Faren used his weath to fund the construction of a private non military Airship which he possibly only got away with due to being friends with highly respected members and allies of the pact, and he probably offered a great deal of money that would have aided the pact's war effort as well.This Airship however was destroyed by Mordremoth thus we had to endure Lord Farens company while he ran around the jungle in a loincloth xD

The Wobbling Skies is a Corsair Airship in Istan however this Airship is confirmed stolen, the amusing fact though is that the crew who stole it were so drunk at the time they have no memory of stealing it.

Sayida's unnamed Airship, purchased with money but from an unknown source..What we know of this ship is that it shares more in common with Aetherblade ships and Ellen's airship which as mentioned was commandeered from the Aetherblades.So this ship was likely purchased from the Inquest or from someone who stole one from them, we don't know for sure though, what we do know however is that this Airship was destroyed by a Brandstorm at Thunderhead Peaks and it's unknown whether it was salvagable.

Havoc's Heir is just a lounge floating above the Vigil Keep.. It's name has reference to a Charr ship (not airship) but other than that there is no lore in this ship.. it just exists.Best to just ignore this one similarly to how we would ignore those Airships in the WvW maps.

The Iron Whale, This one is an interesting mystery.. We don't know the official name of this ship, what it was doing in Sandswept isles or how/why it crashed there.We can speculate the Inquest may have shot it down which is a plasuable theory but not confirmed.It's quite possible this ship was also scouting the region and suffered some kind of failure..It may even have been a ship severely damaged during the battle against Zhaitan and forced to flee along the southen coast eventually crashing in Sandswept Isles.. we just don't know.

4) Been salvaged from the HoT crash sites - not every pact airship was irreparably destroyed in the fight against the dragon, and some were refitted in the Lions Arch Aerodrome for re-deployment. Even if all of the airships were wiped out, the fact that the pact was able to field almost 30 named airships in HoT (including at least 2 capital ships) proves they're not lacking in resources to build and maintain these things. If the pact could create 30 of these things in 2 years, think of how many they could create in the 4 that followed?

What we do know is that all Airships in Gw2 were created by the Pact and the Aetherblade/Inquest alliance but at some point most of them were destroyed either in War or by Mordremoth.Some were salvaged and rebuilt in Lions Arch for use by the Pact but it's unknown how many they have today or what they are doing with them.It's unlikely they have that many though as Sayida the Sly's airship was brought in to help at Thunderhead Peaks resulting in it's destruction.. the pact likely lost a number of new ships while fighting Kralkatorrik as well.. though we don't know how many they had or lost.We just don't know the situation of the Pact Fleet.. but hopefully the Pact will get more involved in upcoming content, we may not be part of it anymore but we still count it and Logan as a Ally.

Another possible explaination for the Elder Dragons all appearing in a relatively small area (an idea I had while reading this topic): the last time the Elder Dragons awoke they were effectively unopposed and were able to absorb all the magic they wanted, before finally falling back into hibernation again. So maybe the continent of Tyria is just where they ended up - the last place they went to for whatever reason, maybe at the time it was the last place on the planet with any significant amount of magic.

If they had started out spread all around the world, or on the far side of the world, they could have spent hundreds or thousands of years roaming around consuming magic, then ended up clustered around the last bit left, before finally falling back into hibernation. Which then allowed their magic to leak back into the world, gradually increasing ambient magic levels as life returned to the world.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Another possible explaination for the Elder Dragons all appearing in a relatively small area (an idea I had while reading this topic): the last time the Elder Dragons awoke they were effectively unopposed and were able to absorb all the magic they wanted, before finally falling back into hibernation again. So maybe the continent of Tyria is just where they ended up - the last place they went to for whatever reason, maybe at the time it was the last place on the planet with any significant amount of magic.

If they had started out spread all around the world, or on the far side of the world, they could have spent hundreds or thousands of years roaming around consuming magic, then ended up clustered around the last bit left, before finally falling back into hibernation. Which then allowed their magic to leak back into the world, gradually increasing ambient magic levels as life returned to the world.

This is a very good theory. I would be happy with this explanation.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Another possible explaination for the Elder Dragons all appearing in a relatively small area (an idea I had while reading
): the last time the Elder Dragons awoke they were effectively unopposed and were able to absorb all the magic they wanted, before finally falling back into hibernation again. So maybe the continent of Tyria is just where they ended up - the last place they went to for whatever reason, maybe at the time it was the last place on the planet with any significant amount of magic.

This is a very good theory. I would be happy with this explanation.

Yes I rather like it as well. Simple and plausible unlike a lot of wacky theories I keep seeing