Guild Wars 1 feedback - QoL

After a long break from both GW games, GW1's current anniversary event pulled me back in. (Read that in Mr. Pacino's voice please.) I once poured thousands of hours into both games. I thought my MMO days were behind me, but I gotta say I'm loving playing the gem that is GW1. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn the game has been receiving some updates in recent years. Very cool!

Unfortunately, old but gold seems to imply a lack of QoL features. The kind that we've gotten used to in GW2 for example. To me, that is currently GW1's biggest drawback. And so dear devs, if you're going to make further development efforts, please prioritize QoL. I realize a trading post or anything big is probably not in the cards, (although I haven't forgotten what the Embark Beach map was originally intended for ;) ) but I do have some smaller suggestions that could make a big difference for GW1's QoL.

1. Trophy storage tab(s). I'd pay for em, even now. Should also have slots for reward trophies.
  2. Travelling with 7 heroes can be a PITA. Please allow all heroes to remain in the party when travelling to places with party limits like Kamadan. Just gray the bottom 4 heroes (2 where appropriate) out, indicating they will not be joining the player into adjacent areas.Or (and) place all travel NPC's in every section of Embark Beach, like the Zaishen flagpoles are. That would provide a decent workaround.
  3. This one is actually a tiny detail, but would be oh so useful: in the skill menu, when displaying all skill descriptions, please add costs, cooldown and recharge time. Or at least display these stats when pointing the mouse at the skill. I can't tell you how many times I've been switching between both views in the skill menu this week alone.
  4. Add a notes field to skill templates. They are .txt files after all. Would be SO useful for alt skills, gear (PvE), etc.

Thanks!

PS - I realize this is the GW2 forum, but I've been told this is where GW1 feedback goes now.Also, I'm pretty sure I've posted plenty of GW2 stuff here, years ago. My profile says 0 though. Has there been some kind of reset?

@kharmin.7683 said:I thought that GW1 was in maintenance mode now?

It is, but it has been getting a few little QoL updates, extra options and of course it just got a new round of elite skills from the anniversary.

I believe 1-2 devs occasionally give it some QoL love when they have time rather than it being a dedicated project. Seems fine for people to continue to add little QoL ideas

@aspirine.6852 said:

Seems even worse than maintenance. I logged in, and no matter what town or outpost I go to there is noone. I saw 1 other person on Embark :(Feels like sad to see it empty like this.

Where/when did you log in? ID1? Currently (as of right now) there is like 40-50 ppl in Kamadan AE2 (1 is full). Embark at about 50, Embark EE1 is some 20-30 ppl.I jumped to Henge of Denravi EE1 - only one other player there though.

@OP: If all travelagents in Embark supported all playerknown locations that would be really nice. :)

@Halandir.3609 said:

Seems even worse than maintenance. I logged in, and no matter what town or outpost I go to there is noone. I saw 1 other person on Embark :(Feels like sad to see it empty like this.

Where/when did you log in? ID1? Currently (as of right now) there is like 40-50 ppl in Kamadan AE2 (1 is full). Embark at about 50, Embark EE1 is some 20-30 ppl.I jumped to Henge of Denravi EE1 - only one other player there though.

@OP: If all travelagents in Embark supported all playerknown locations that would be really nice. :)

International district it seems.

@aspirine.6852 said:

International district it seems.

Yeah that (International) would probably seem dead.

BTW: Main hub chat in GW is pretty active compared to GW2. The custom chatfilter (chatfilter.ini) was a really great QoL update - Gold/item-sellers are completely (and easily) avoidable now :)

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:I thought that GW1 was in maintenance mode now?

One reason that I never really got to play GW Faction. Almost no people around.

At this time: You need to play at specific times.Right up until GW2 launched there was (during evenings) a <2 min wait on aspenwood or jade. If you "never really got to play GW Faction." I guess you came VERY late to the party.Faction PvP is still in play but you have to, sort of, be a part of the community...

2 would definitely be nice. I often hop between campaigns and losing then re-adding heroes can be a bit annoying. Kamadan, for example.

Here’s my list of some QoL wishes:

1) Trader for weapon mods and inscriptions. It’s the only trader missing.2) Open all hero commander windows with 1 hotkey, instead of opening and closing each hero commander window individually.3) Option to increase font size of chat text only.4) Better way of moving items between inventory and Xunlai storage. Individually dragging and dropping dozens of items at once can be a pain.5) Personal DPS meter where I can check the DPS of my character and my heroes (like GWtoolbox). Damage tests in the Battle Isles are very inadequate. In a game where builds are so important, this would be a huge improvement.6) Not really a QoL update, but nerf Save Yourselves to 50 armors and let heroes equip PVE skills. It can be limited to 1 PVE skill per hero, I don’t care. I want to play with Great Dwarf Weapon on me.

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:Playing GW this last week made me realise I would kill for a wardrobe.I've bags full of weapons only because they look cool.Also a wardrobe would make people play more to collect skins.

This is what makes items worth what they are worth in this game.If you could get a crappy not max stats FDS and wardrobe it, and then get a crappy skin max stat weapon and switch it to FDS, it ruins the whole economy of GW.

Games like Diablo 2 and GW have it set this way to promote trade. People especially remember Diablo2 as one of the games were you have to do a lot of trading with others and some things even though its not universally accepted people will take because how tough it is for them to get it (Personal taste, specific skin/weapon they want with good stats)

That is why GW2 has a lot of junk items because of the wardrobe system and everything has set stats, no min/max range.Unidentified Rare gear. Unidentified Common gear. Etc etc. You have these unidentified gear randoms because its flipping junk, they know it and you know it. But in games like Diablo2 and GW it may be very valuable, it's your discretion how valuable it is to you.

GW2 you goto tradepost, you see 100000 some stuff, "do I have in wardrobe, yes? ok its junk"Don't tell me about once every year precursor chance or exotic gear chance, there is junk exotic gear too.

In Diablo2 and GW gear is exciting to see what it is, in GW2, its not exciting they know it and you know it, hence they make it all unidentified loot to save you time getting rid of the junk.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:Playing GW this last week made me realise I would kill for a wardrobe.I've bags full of weapons only because they look cool.Also a wardrobe would make people play more to collect skins.

This is what makes items worth what they are worth in this game.
If you could get a crappy not max stats FDS and wardrobe it, and then get a crappy skin max stat weapon and switch it to FDS, it ruins the whole economy of GW.

Games like Diablo 2 and GW have it set this way to promote trade. People especially remember Diablo2 as one of the games were you have to do a lot of trading with others and some things even though its not universally accepted people will take because how tough it is for them to get it (Personal taste, specific skin/weapon they want with good stats)

That is why GW2 has a lot of junk items because of the wardrobe system and everything has set stats, no min/max range.Unidentified Rare gear. Unidentified Common gear. Etc etc. You have these unidentified gear randoms because its flipping junk, they know it and you know it. But in games like Diablo2 and GW it may be very valuable, it's your discretion how valuable it is to you.

GW2 you goto tradepost, you see 100000 some stuff, "do I have in wardrobe, yes? ok its junk"Don't tell me about once every year precursor chance or exotic gear chance, there is junk exotic gear too.

In Diablo2 and GW gear is exciting to see what it is, in GW2, its not exciting they know it and you know it, hence they make it all unidentified loot to save you time getting rid of the junk.

Easy, unlock is only possible if you get a req9.As for the trade system you can keep it. If there's one thing that is absolute trash in GW is the inexistence of trading post and having to rely on spamadan to sell/buy stuff.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:Playing GW this last week made me realise I would kill for a wardrobe.I've bags full of weapons only because they look cool.Also a wardrobe would make people play more to collect skins.

If you could get a crappy not max stats FDS and wardrobe it, and then get a crappy skin max stat weapon and switch it to FDS, it ruins the whole economy of GW.

Easy, unlock is only possible if you get a req9.As for the trade system you can keep it. If there's one thing that is absolute trash in GW is the inexistence of trading post and having to rely on spamadan to sell/buy stuff.

Look at Diablo2, the best game during its time. It didn't use tradeposts.Trade posts eliminate communication with each other. One thing GW2 lacks in. GW2 is pretty much a solo players game. No sense of community hurts it from being an all time great like Diablo2.

GW is regarded as better than GW2 as well, having a sense of community really helps.I'm not talking about guilds, I'm talking about random people talking to other randoms.

In GW1 you have random dance parties, in GW2 I haven't seen any random dance party.Everyone is too busy focusing on self rather than community.

In Diablo2, you show someone this super cool weapon or armor. You make people go crazy showing you all there prize loot trying to convince you to trade. It happens in GW as well.

In GW2 nobody cares about anybody because they do everything through a tradepost, the community aspect goes away.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:Playing GW this last week made me realise I would kill for a wardrobe.I've bags full of weapons only because they look cool.Also a wardrobe would make people play more to collect skins.

Look at Diablo2, the best game during its time. It didn't use tradeposts.Trade posts eliminate communication with each other. One thing GW2 lacks in. GW2 is pretty much a solo players game. No sense of community hurts it from being an all time great like Diablo2.

GW is regarded as better than GW2 as well, having a sense of community really helps.I'm not talking about guilds, I'm talking about random people talking to other randoms.

In GW1 you have random dance parties, in GW2 I haven't seen any random dance party.Everyone is too busy focusing on self rather than community.

In Diablo2, you show someone this super cool weapon or armor. You make people go crazy showing you all there prize loot trying to convince you to trade. It happens in GW as well.

In GW2 nobody cares about anybody because they do everything through a tradepost, the community aspect goes away.

The lack of communication and community on gw2 isn't due to the trading post but the nature of the game itself.GW2 is a solo game dressed up as an mmo, even in PvP its pretty much everyone doing its own thing, unlike GW1 which you need to coordinate builds, skills, call spikes, call splits, etc.

Do you need to communicate to trade in GW1? Yeah but it's not the type of communication that grows the sense of community, it is more the "here have this. Ty cya."

I can only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure more people agree, I play GW to have fun not to spend hours spamming "wts x - y k + z ectos"I've gone as far as straight up deleting stuff instead of selling because selling in GW1 is a chore.

After doing some vanquishes last night, I remembered all of a sudden why I loved it and sometimes hated it too.I guess we have all been there, that last 3 foes on the map, and you are sure you looked everywhere :) Just a map ping in the right direction would be enough..

@aspirine.6852 said:After doing some vanquishes last night, I remembered all of a sudden why I loved it and sometimes hated it too.I guess we have all been there, that last 3 foes on the map, and you are sure you looked everywhere :) Just a map ping in the right direction would be enough..

You reminded me of explorer, having to embrace every wall because you will eventually miss a tiny bit you can't even see on map. This could be updated to something more refined too.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:After doing some vanquishes last night, I remembered all of a sudden why I loved it and sometimes hated it too.I guess we have all been there, that last 3 foes on the map, and you are sure you looked everywhere :) Just a map ping in the right direction would be enough..

You reminded me of explorer, having to embrace every wall because you will eventually miss a tiny bit you can't even see on map. This could be updated to something more refined too.

Yeah I remember something of an overlay for that? Not sure anymore how it was used. but explorer was hard, and long. And sometimes like you said sooo annoying. :)

@aspirine.6852 said:

Yeah I remember something of an overlay for that? Not sure anymore how it was used. but explorer was hard, and long. And sometimes like you said sooo annoying. :)

Yeah, people used a third party for explorer. Never wanted to risk losing my acc so never completed those.

I have a fifth request, also small but technically not QoL: please make Mesmer heroes use Psychic Instability more often. They use other interrupt skills brilliantly, but hardly seem to hardly cast PI at all. I hardly ever see it on cooldown, and consequently enemies spend far too little time on their butts. I'm guessing the conditions under which heroes cast PI are currently too restrictive. Maybe those conditions can be copied from Cry of Frustration.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the moderators want me to add to this thread instead of making a new thread (the generic message is not very clear), so here's another try.

I would love to see a QoL update that makes martial heroes less subpar. Right now, martial heroes do too little damage compared to casters. This is on top of them having very little utility. Melee heroes, in particular, spend too much time wandering back and forth between targets, or getting body blocked and standing still doing nothing. Assassin heroes are even worse since they can rarely land a full lead-off-dual chain on the same target. I think making some PVE specific changes to some skills would make martial heroes more attractive for casual play, even if it doesn't include them in the meta.

I'm not a dev, but I think the following might be simple ways of buffing martial heroes without too much work, and without accidentally buffing PVE monsters much.

QoL requests:

MonkStrength of Honor: Make it so heroes don't cancel this. Right now, heroes constantly cancel this (sometimes DURING combat), losing valuable recharge time. Against enemies that constantly remove enchants, micro casting this repeatedly gets annoying.

NecromancerOrder of the Vampire and Order of Pain: Double the duration so that heroes will have an easier time keeping these buffs up.Barbs: Reduce casting time. Heroes often start casting this when an enemy is almost dead. By the time the hero finishes casting Barbs, the enemy is dead with barely any ticks from Barbs.Mark of Pain: Give better AI usage. For example, heroes should only cast this on targets with high HP and adjacent to other targets.

More balance oriented than QoL:

ParagonGo for the Eyes: Make it last for 2 hits.Anthem of Envy: Remove or reduce the HP requirement.Anthem of Flame: Make it last for 2 hits.

AssassinPalm Strike: Reduce recharge time to 4 seconds. This may allow Assassin heroes to more reliably land dual attacks.

RangerBarrage: Don't lose preparations.