We need dynamic weather

Zackie.8923

I don't know if it's needed per se, but it would be a welcome addition nonetheless. The game is already pretty focused on breathtaking graphics overall and this would reinforce it a little. We saw a bit of it in the Living Story areas, but not much beyond that.

To expand on it, I think I see a relatively simple implementation of this considering Anet's current systems: manipulate particle emitters to give the illusion of dynamic weather. Just place a bunch of them in an area that would benefit from it (i.e a blizzard effect in the flat icey plain in Wayfarer Foothills) and have it be manipulated at random intervals. For example, the blizzard effect could be more or less powerful during the day or night, or it could give the player an icy overlay texture to simulate accumulated snow. It's a super specific example, but one that struck my mind as I was writing this. Hooray for spontaneous creativity!

As an active player of FFXIV, I can say it does add a lot of flavour and dynamics to the maps. It helps create the illusion that the maps aren't in an isolated bubble locked off in their own world.

But if I remember from one of the producer letters, the weather system is a core aspect of the engine, so adding something like it to GW2 that's more than just a hackjob would be a lot of work

The weather does change in some areas. I'm not sure if it's dynamic weather or tied to events or what, but it definitely changes.

For example I've got screenshots of the river at the north end of Bloodtide Coast (just outside the entrance to LA) in the pouring rain and others where it's bright sunlight. I also had a screenshot taken at the top of a waterfall in Timberline Falls as my desktop wallpaper which prompted me to go back there when gliding in core maps was enabled so I could glide off and when I got there I was really confused that it didn't look right at all, then I realised it's because it was slightly foggy in-game whereas it was sunny in the screenshot.

But then in other areas I can't remember it ever changing. Shaemoor for example, I don't think I've ever seen anything but bright sunshine there.

If it is possible to add weather effects to more areas that would be nice. I don't mind if it's inconsistent (e.g. pouring rain in Queensdale and bright sun in Kessex Hills), just the variety would be good.

FFXIV also has different wind physics than we do.

For example, if we see wind blowing, our hair doesn't react nor our armor - so there would need to be additional levels of coding added just for it to look immersive. But it would be great to see hair redone and armor physics revamped so a weather system like this could work.

I think there's only few skins that react to in-game physics, I believe the Silly Scimitar is one of them, but no actual serious skins. Oh and also the whip sword.

Not sure I would prioritize this over other things. We do have a large number of visual effects in game already. I think if they were to add this they would also need to add in ways to disable it since people are already turning off particle effects to reduce system impact and people in PvP use standard models to reduce players masking ability tells. Not saying it isn't an ambitious goal, but would prefer new maps (WvW, PvP, PvE, Fractals, Dungeons, World Bosses) before something like this myself.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Tiscan.8345 said:Uhm? GW2 already has a
. They just don't use it an aweful lot.

Quoting since people aren't paying attention to those pointing this out.

Hate Is Fuel

But I think they are talking about Snow, Rain, Storm, Thunderstorm etc.We do have Night/Day cycle and a few rainy areas and of course snow at the Norn areas.Sure, I am all up for new weathers, even an update of the night weather which will be really, really dark. GW1 Nightfall had some areas who had the superdark night, something similar to that I'd like to see here in GW2

Archived