Decrease initiative for pistol whip

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:Yeah lemme getᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘᵘʰ

Spammable 6/7k damage + hard stun + 1.25s evade :)

6-7k? How long have you not been playing, its like 5k tops, if every hit hits.

You can actually get it pretty high what with the recent buffs to crit strikes. I'm consistently hitting 6.9k with zerk, scholar, critstrikes and daredevil (no dodges used, so could easily go higher).

Edit: 8k if I use all my dodges xD

Edit2: This is on the fattest target dummy. Not the indestructible one but the fattest one that can die.

@Curennos.9307 said:

You can actually get it pretty high what with the recent buffs to crit strikes. I'm consistently hitting 6.9k with zerk, scholar, critstrikes and daredevil (no dodges used, so could easily go higher).

This sounds about right for a deadly arts build. I prefer crit strikes right now with zerk amulet and eagle. My favorite is landing a pistol whip on reapers and stealing quickness via absorption sigil and this is usually 10k flat damage(I’ve seen up to 13k) with quickness with is one of the most obscene things I’ve ever seen in my gw2 career.

It can hit phard and is fun so I like it a lot for solo Qing ranked, though I’m duo q climbing trying to get top 10 on my top 25 account

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I posted this comment on July 13th, and precisely on July 13 I got hit pistol whipped for 6.8k by a thief in unranked. How, when, why, I don't know since I don't play thief, but these were the numbers.

The guy was better than me, that much is sure, and I don't call for nerfs on pistol whip. But buffing it again and bring back the brainless pistol whipping spam? As far as I'm concerned, it's a fucking no. If I have to be pistol whipped to death it better be because I'm facing a player better than me, and not just a pepega being carried by a skill which itself is quite bloated. Blurred frenzy got its damage nerfed to the ground because apparently it did too many things at once; it had less evasion, less damage and no hard stun and yet it was nerfed even more; pistol whip is on a whole different level when it comes about damage and utility, in which universe buffing it would be justifiable?

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

I posted this comment on July 13th, and precisely on July 13 I got hit pistol kitten for 6.8k by a thief in unranked. How, when, why, I don't know since I don't play thief, but these were the numbers.

The guy was better than me, that much is sure, and I don't call for nerfs on pistol whip. But buffing it again and bring back the brainless pistol whipping spam? As far as I'm concerned, it's a kitten no. If I have to be pistol kitten to death it better be because I'm facing a player better than me, and not just a pepega being carried by a skill which itself is quite bloated. Blurred frenzy got its damage nerfed to the ground because apparently it did to much; it had less evasion, less damage and no hard stun and yet it was nerfed even more, in which universe buffing pistol whip would be justifiable?

Maybe cuz mesmer and thief are two completely different classes? There's probably a logical fallacy named after this but you have google so go use it. You'll never see a satisfactory answer to 'why thief get Pistol Whip when mesmer blurred frenzy was nerfed' because it's a terrible comparison in the first place.

You admit you don't even play thief and have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. What kind of results could you possibly expect.

@Curennos.9307 said:

I posted this comment on July 13th, and precisely on July 13 I got hit pistol kitten for 6.8k by a thief in unranked. How, when, why, I don't know since I don't play thief, but these were the numbers.

The guy was better than me, that much is sure, and I don't call for nerfs on pistol whip. But buffing it again and bring back the brainless pistol whipping spam? As far as I'm concerned, it's a kitten no. If I have to be pistol kitten to death it better be because I'm facing a player better than me, and not just a pepega being carried by a skill which itself is quite bloated. Blurred frenzy got its damage nerfed to the ground because apparently it did to much; it had less evasion, less damage and no hard stun and yet it was nerfed even more, in which universe buffing pistol whip would be justifiable?

Maybe cuz mesmer and thief are two completely different classes? There's probably a logical fallacy named after this but you have google so go use it. You'll never see a satisfactory answer to 'why thief get Pistol Whip when mesmer blurred frenzy was nerfed' because it's a terrible comparison in the first place.

You admit you don't even play thief and have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. What kind of results could you possibly expect.

Just not having to face a spammable instawin button which does everything is enough to me tbh

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Just not having to face a spammable instawin button which does everything is enough to me tbh

Your wish has been granted. G'luck.

@Curennos.9307 said:

Well yes, as it is right now to me is fair. It's a strong skill with a big cost, and if you know how to use it you can get some real value for yourself and your team. I feel like it's pretty balanced right now.

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Well yes, as it is right now to me is fair. It's a strong skill with a big cost, and if you know how to use it you can get some real value for yourself and your team. I feel like it's pretty balanced right now.

If by "balanced" you mean unusable. The build is kinda unplayable. Its just not nearly strong enough for the cost. Thats the thing with Blurred Frenzy which you bring up earlier, using Blurred Frenzy doesnt lock you out of your other skills, nor is it the only skill you can really use.

@Curennos.9307 said:

Edit2: This is on the fattest target dummy. Not the indestructible one but the fattest one that can die.

Yeah, crit strikes is so relevant because every holo, ranger and warrior will smash you for your greed.

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

It's not a strong skill for the cost. It's merely 'decent' with the current buffs. You're better off spamming stealth with d/p.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:No.S/p teef meta was the worst one, right after condi teef. Both requires no skill, no brain, no mechanics.Its a stupid skill that favors handless teef players. If u want to spam thief version of blurred frenzy with additional effects - go to PvE. In competetive modes learn to use weapons requiring presence of at least 1 braincell.

Or maybe you are just angry that you cannot get to a high enough rating on those builds. The key is try and actually get good at the game instead of clicking things randomly

No, Im not angry. S/p teefs were/are the easiest to predict, punish and BM right after for playing this spec. I dont like mindless builds, and this is one of them.Btw rating in 2020 xD. I can show you how to get Leg rat either on d/p or s/d teef, but that doesnt matter. You dont have to ask opinion of teefs that know what theyre doing, just look at this thread. Every1 knows that this build is mindless.

Probably better delete sword and staff for thieves, cause only build that demands brain effort is dp roamer.

no? d/p is one of the lowest imo.at the top its propably s/d followed by staff, and everything else just goes down down down.stealthing for 20s+ at a time -> huge brain effort

D/P stealth uptime is fine without shadow arts...the issue is shadow arts.The trait line should not be viable in conquest PvP(or WvW imo but WvW has no balance and is a joke)

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:No.S/p teef meta was the worst one, right after condi teef. Both requires no skill, no brain, no mechanics.Its a stupid skill that favors handless teef players. If u want to spam thief version of blurred frenzy with additional effects - go to PvE. In competetive modes learn to use weapons requiring presence of at least 1 braincell.

Or maybe you are just angry that you cannot get to a high enough rating on those builds. The key is try and actually get good at the game instead of clicking things randomly

No, Im not angry. S/p teefs were/are the easiest to predict, punish and BM right after for playing this spec. I dont like mindless builds, and this is one of them.Btw rating in 2020 xD. I can show you how to get Leg rat either on d/p or s/d teef, but that doesnt matter. You dont have to ask opinion of teefs that know what theyre doing, just look at this thread. Every1 knows that this build is mindless.

Probably better delete sword and staff for thieves, cause only build that demands brain effort is dp roamer.

no? d/p is one of the lowest imo.at the top its propably s/d followed by staff, and everything else just goes down down down.stealthing for 20s+ at a time -> huge brain effort

D/P stealth uptime is fine without shadow arts...the issue is shadow arts.The trait line should not be viable in conquest PvP(or WvW imo but WvW has no balance and is a joke)

It's not an issue of viability, it's an issue of an insanely efficient utility tree providing excellent offensive options as well - which was, thankfully, partially fixed in the last patch. Make no mistake, I'm not a fan of excessive stealth builds - however, the meta has enough weakness and blind spam to render d/p one of the least worrisome builds.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

It's not an issue of viability, it's an issue of an insanely efficient utility tree providing excellent offensive options as well - which was, thankfully, partially fixed in the last patch. Make no mistake, I'm not a fan of excessive stealth builds - however, the meta has enough weakness and blind spam to render d/p one of the least worrisome builds.

The amount of random passive aoe blind is actually beyond annoying.

You r not a thief player, right?

I am and though I don’t really like the dp meta, it doesn’t feel like the other thief metas, though I think it’s a solid build for top teir. I wouldn’t mind an s/d or s/p meta or a mauraders staff meta, which I doubt would happen becuz it lacks chase potential and is high risk. Generally the thief “meta” is what Evers lowest risk these days, which doesn’t feel skillful, though not unskillful

I dont think low risk means easy to play, you can escape any combat and yet kill nobody, cap nothing, plus none, and be -1 on your team.I dont think it is only about press keys, it is about rotations, battle choices, mind games, etc.I think staff and sword easier to play, there is no much variations and possibilities (dodges, vaults and staff 2 combo with steal and sword 2 + sword 3 spam + returns), but since thieves has no survivability atm, you only can get away with stealth, anyways

You can't spam sword 2 + 3. Ask any actual thief player. Best way to get killed, really.

i main a thief.

@anjo.6143 said:

I am and though I don’t really like the dp meta, it doesn’t feel like the other thief metas, though I think it’s a solid build for top teir. I wouldn’t mind an s/d or s/p meta or a mauraders staff meta, which I doubt would happen becuz it lacks chase potential and is high risk. Generally the thief “meta” is what Evers lowest risk these days, which doesn’t feel skillful, though not unskillful

I dont think low risk means easy to play, you can escape any combat and yet kill nobody, cap nothing, plus none, and be -1 on your team.I dont think it is only about press keys, it is about rotations, battle choices, mind games, etc.I think staff and sword easier to play, there is no much variations and possibilities (dodges, vaults and staff 2 combo with steal and sword 2 + sword 3 spam + returns), but since thieves has no survivability atm, you only can get away with stealth, anyways

You can't spam sword 2 + 3. Ask any actual thief player. Best way to get killed, really.

i main a thief.

It depends what meta your talking about really. Tbh daredevil s/d is more about 3 spam than it ever was before and it’s alittle better at 1v1s than core rn, and 1v1s are where you are more dependent on sword 2. However I feel the fact that s/d is more dependent on this than ever has turned into its biggest weakness, daredevil has never seen less benefit from just dodging than it has rn. There’s very little healing being pumped out and in many cases absolutely 0, so s/d is more about damage than ever but cannot really succeed in this as it’s predictable to the point where it has almost 0 1v1 potential, which is why I want s/p to be viable because at least it can pump out damage and cleave on point. If you play s/p correctly the damage can be impactful in team fights or 1v1s, especially against reapers or holos if you steal quickness. If only it was most forgiving to where I’m not forced to spend half my initiative on 1 pw

@anjo.6143 said:

i main a thief.

Is this supposed to tell me something?

i main a thief.

Is this supposed to tell me something?

Im actually a thief main, and turns out you can.

Sword is boring and the lack of survivability makes not worth to play it.

@mortrialus.3062 said:I was watching Vallun's stream seeing him get 7.5k Pistol Whips on Deadeye. It doesn't need buffs.

Tbh I’m was alittle surprised testing pistol whip in this meta. At first I tried crit strikes for damage and was impressed by everything except the thief match up, then I tried deadly arts and was amazed it still worked. Atm pistol whip seems incredibly superior to s/d at least for daredevil, but I’ll still stand by the post that it needs to be lowered to 5 initiative to be meta becuz there are times when the initiative cost is just very high. I think valluns build had much more initiative gain than standard pistol whip builds so I’m not surprised he does good on it, but it could use some slight tweaks because builds like that are only going to be seen in ranked tbh, not competitive play.

@Dantheman.3589 said:Atm pistol whip seems incredibly superior to s/d at least for daredevil

Pulls Dantheman asideHey.My dude.X-nay on the iable-vay.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:I was watching Vallun's stream seeing him get 7.5k Pistol Whips on Deadeye. It doesn't need buffs.

there are times when the initiative cost is just very high. I think valluns build had much more initiative gain than standard pistol whip builds so I’m not surprised he does good on it, but it could use some slight tweaks because builds like that are only going to be seen in ranked tbh, not competitive play.

Manage your init. This doesn't deserve to be a pick-up-and-play weaponset. I might be sounding like a broken record but if it even approaches easy we're going to have a problem that will likely get thieves arbitrarily nerfed and cram them into repeaterbuilds even more.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Atm pistol whip seems incredibly superior to s/d at least for daredevil

Pulls Dantheman aside
Hey.My dude.X-nay on the iable-vay.

there are times when the initiative cost is just very high. I think valluns build had much more initiative gain than standard pistol whip builds so I’m not surprised he does good on it, but it could use some slight tweaks because builds like that are only going to be seen in ranked tbh, not competitive play.

Manage your init. This doesn't deserve to be a pick-up-and-play weaponset. I might be sounding like a broken record but if it even approaches easy we're going to have a problem that will likely get thieves arbitrarily nerfed and cram them into repeaterbuilds even more.

*hides my walnutsThief buffs plz