Getting too expensive?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Animism.7530" said:

Yes. They are horizontal progression in a game that is built around cosmetics.I think that you are hijacking the term "progression". There are absolutely no cosmetics that are required to play the game or progress the character through the story or to achieve level 80 and participate in the end game content.

Well if you put it that way - there are absolutely no games that require you to make a purchase to progress through something like that, within the bounds of the specifics of the features contained within said game/expansion.

Suffice to say; you don't buy a console game, and then find the content the game always intended to provide (legally by means of description) is now behind a paywall.This doesn't really exist for obvious reasons and the same point you make in regards to progression don't really bear much relevance.

The initial vertical progression system keeps being brought up here; when it has little relevance to the points here.

@Rukia.4802 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:PvEers regularly claim they farm 40+ gold an hour. With that you can afford 1 new mount skin like... every other day.

30-40g an hour is not hard but you will uninstall from boredom, would you rather have fun or grind endlessly

It is halloween however with easiest farm in game

This is probably the best constructive comment so far. I'd strongly point to a major problem in this game being just how boring it is to farm gold.

I honestly feel that if only a few elements of Guild Wars 2 changed, the playerbase would rightfully skyrocket through the roof; as I'm sure it was intended to before release..

@Animism.7530 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:PvEers regularly claim they farm 40+ gold an hour. With that you can afford 1 new mount skin like... every other day.

30-40g an hour is not hard but you will uninstall from boredom, would you rather have fun or grind endlessly

This is probably the best constructive comment so far. I'd strongly point to a major problem in this game being just how boring it is to farm gold.

I honestly feel that if only a few elements of Guild Wars 2 changed, the playerbase would rightfully skyrocket through the roof; as I'm sure it was intended to before release..

I kind of see this from two angles. In one I don't have to purchase any cosmetics with real cash because I can convert gold to gems. In the other I hate grinding for gold so converting enough gold to gems takes a long time. Having an option to use my credit card every now and then is fine for me because I don't want to grind and I do want to support Anet. The way it is set up now is fine because I will not ever pay a mandatory fee for any kind of game.

To be fair, some types of things in the GS are overpriced so I don't buy them. I will purchase the occasional outfit or random mount liscense though.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

I kind of see this from two angles. In one I don't have to purchase any cosmetics with real cash because I can convert gold to gems. In the other I hate grinding for gold so converting enough gold to gems takes a long time. Having an option to use my credit card every now and then is fine for me because I don't want to grind and I do want to support Anet. The way it is set up now is fine because I will not ever pay a mandatory fee for any kind of game.

To be fair, some types of things in the GS are overpriced so I don't buy them. I will purchase the occasional outfit or random mount liscense though.

I practically agree with your sentiment; though I stop at things like outfits and essentially gambling for skins.When the game originally released - I was content with having a few skins on the gemstore to support them, I supposed it would be fine and wasn't a sign of bad things to come down the line. There were also plenty of skins being offered in game at the time - nothing was really that flashy from either route.

But now... It has become a wallet game... The skins they are designing look better than what should ultimately be the pinnacle, legendary gear. It's not just one set, it's practically the vast majority of their designs. That is a really, really big problem to me.

This all started around Heart of Thorns with glider skins, as someone else pointed out in this thread.

Another prime example could be Chaos gloves - an item that was in the original game for in-game currencies. They decided to release it for gems.

@Mortifera.6138 said:First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills.It is ok, if if big sum for you - you need change job, place, county, and find better job. Or play 12 h per day and change gold for gems and buy it. Anyway it should not be for free just for dayli login.

And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware.don't see any tie. PoF requere 2x more powerful pc than HoT? Ofc we can have some hope what EoD will requre something and we make our game more elitare -- but 0.00001% that we will get it.

I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me...good idea! Make a break! I am too make 2 years break and hardy work 10h per day, to buy new pc and other stuff for GW2.

which is a shame, because this is the best online game.it best game, but don't be sad! find a good, probably change a county if need, and work few years. We will wait you!

@Animism.7530

Let’s start with a dev quote...

“We made a commitment to you in March 2012 that we’d fund GW2 live development through non-pay-to-win microtransactions. We try different ideas, but we always hold true to that commitment.”

Think it would be good for you to gain a better understanding of “pay to win”... And if you think you do understand already, then I want you to explain, in detail, what are the cash only items offered on the gemstore that provide a statistical advantage over another player? What items give players a statistical advantage over other players in wvw, spvp, open world pve, raids, and fractals... that are only available to folks that fork over real money?

You, like the op, accused Anet of being “predatory”... So I want you to explain to the community exactly how a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub and allows players to exchange gold for gems to get anything off the gemstore for $0 “predatory”?

will be good have some power/condi/vit bonuses for gems to accountalso will be good have some additional pvp srit change also for gemsTo make that one boosted char with any biuld can versus 10 unboosted. It will be fun.Also will be good some wepon enchant for gems. I miss my A grade +10 dager and shop boons v4, from other game. Where I can solo kill 12 newbs ..may be in new exp we will get dominant value, for players who ready pay.

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Animism.7530"

“We made a commitment to you in March 2012 that we’d fund GW2 live development through non-pay-to-win microtransactions. We try different ideas, but we always hold true to that commitment.”

Think it would be good for you to gain a better understanding of “pay to win”... And if you think you do understand already, then I want you to explain, in detail, what are the cash only items offered on the gemstore that provide a statistical advantage over another player? What items give players a statistical advantage over other players in wvw, spvp, open world pve, raids, and fractals... that are only available to folks that fork over real money?

You, like the op, accused Anet of being “predatory”... So I want you to explain to the community exactly how a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub and allows players to exchange gold for gems to get anything off the gemstore for $0 “predatory”?

A good quote to see - though it doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake, which I think they have somewhere down the line.

First of all; there is little use asking me for statistical data, a player, writing constructive criticism to a large, wealthy company who manage the game.Second I'm not sure what you are referring to with "cash only". Please see one of my previous comments breaking down your question in more detail. Suffice to say, the requirement over items is not what we're discussing here.

I think you would have to read the discussion thread further to find that answer; as I can only reiterate the basis of it so many times.

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:I wonder how anet makes money. According to this thread, nobody buys skins(And if then only for gold) or anything else because everything is "unnecessary".At fisrt forum writers ir not 1::1 slice of total community. It is some of edge, but not proporcial share of total people. This is the same as in beer pub try count football players and vegans.At second, how I see people buy gems, don't think that this is expensive or cheap. It not each second, but and not something rare.

@lare.5129 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills.It is ok, if if big sum for you - you need change job, place, county, and find better job. Or play 12 h per day and change gold for gems and buy it. Anyway it should not be for free just for dayli login.

And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware.don't see any tie. PoF requere 2x more powerful pc than HoT? Ofc we can have some hope what EoD will requre something and we make our game more elitare -- but 0.00001% that we will get it.

I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me...good idea! Make a break! I am too make 2 years break and hardy work 10h per day, to buy new pc and other stuff for GW2.

which is a shame, because this is the best online game.it best game, but don't be sad! find a good, probably change a county if need, and work few years. We will wait you!

The vanilla core game can struggle with FPS, and when I say struggle, I of course mean it can turn to 20FPS.Also suggesting someone move countries or find a better paying job in order to play the game is outlandish.

@lare.5129 said:

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:I wonder how anet makes money. According to this thread, nobody buys skins(And if then only for gold) or anything else because everything is "unnecessary".At fisrt forum writers ir not 1::1 slice of total community. It is some of edge, but not proporcial share of total people. This is the same as in beer pub try count football players and vegans.At second, how I see people buy gems, don't think that this is expensive or cheap. It not each second, but and not something rare.

I dont play football :D

@Animism.7530 said:The vanilla core game can struggle with FPS, and when I say struggle, I of course mean it can turn to 20FPS.Also suggesting someone move countries or find a better paying job in order to play the game is outlandish.why outlandish? It my experience, and not problem share it for someone who have same trouble.

@lare.5129 said:

It's a very safe assumption that the majority of wealth accumulated from microtransactions comes from a minority of players, with either addictive personalities or a very large wallet.

There are plenty of case studies and law cases in the news referring to this.

@Animism.7530 said:

It's a very safe assumption that the majority of wealth accumulated from microtransactions comes from a minority of players, with either addictive personalities or a very large wallet.

There are plenty of case studies and law cases in the news referring to this.

I dont watch News :D

@lare.5129 said:

@Animism.7530 said:The vanilla core game can struggle with FPS, and when I say struggle, I of course mean it can turn to 20FPS.Also suggesting someone move countries or find a better paying job in order to play the game is outlandish.why outlandish? It my experience, and not problem share it for someone who have same trouble.

Well the general suggestion that in order to play the game in its glory, the best way would be to be wealthier in real life and pay for the goods (when you already own the game).Something I completely understand! Though I think games should be games... not an opportunity for gambling and this level of tactical manipulation...

@Animism.7530 said:

A good quote to see - though it doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake, which I think they have somewhere down the line.

First of all; there is little use asking me for statistical data, a player, writing constructive criticism to a large, wealthy company who manage the game.Second I'm not sure what you are referring to with "cash only". Please see one of my previous comments breaking down your question in more detail. Suffice to say, the requirement over items is not what we're discussing here.

I think you would have to read the discussion thread further to find that answer; as I can only reiterate the basis of it so many times.

I did not ask you for “statistical data“. Surely you can answer those simplified questions.

@Animism.7530

Again, these are easy questions to provide answers for...

“Think it would be good for you to gain a better understanding of “pay to win”... And if you think you do understand already, then I want you to explain, in detail, what are the cash only items offered on the gemstore that provide a statistical advantage over another player? What items give players a statistical advantage over other players in wvw, spvp, open world pve, raids, and fractals... that are only available to folks that fork over real money?

You, like the op, accused Anet of being “predatory”... So I want you to explain to the community exactly how a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub and allows players to exchange gold for gems to get anything off the gemstore for $0 “predatory”?”

@Animism.7530 said:

I did not ask you for “statistical data“. Surely you can answer those simplified questions.

@Swagger.1459"Think it would be good for you to gain a better understanding of “pay to win”... And if you think you do understand already, then
I want you to explain, in detail, what are the cash only items offered on the gemstore that provide a statistical advantage over another player? What items give players a statistical advantage over other players in wvw, spvp, open world pve, raids, and fractals
... that are only available to folks that fork over real money?

You, like the op, accused Anet of being “predatory”... So
I want you to explain to the community
exactly how a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub and allows players to exchange gold for gems to get anything off the gemstore for $0 “predatory”? "

Those 3 questions do not ask for “statistical data”. 2 of them ask what items are cash only purchases in the gemstore that allow you to “win” over other players in the various game modes? What items can I only buy with cash that lets me beat everyone in wvw and spvp who didn’t buy those gemstore items? What cash only items allow me to beat raid and fractal bosses faster than players who didn’t buy those cash only gemstore items? Hmmm?

You accuse Anet of being “predatory”, yet you can’t answer those simple questions to the community who reads this?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459"Think it would be good for you to gain a better understanding of “pay to win”... And if you think you do understand already, then
I want you to explain, in detail, what are the cash only items offered on the gemstore that provide a statistical advantage over another player? What items give players a statistical advantage over other players in wvw, spvp, open world pve, raids, and fractals

exactly how a game that doesn’t charge a monthly sub and allows players to exchange gold for gems to get anything off the gemstore for $0 “predatory”? "

Those 3 questions do not ask for “statistical data”. 2 of them ask what items are cash only purchases in the gemstore that allow you to “win” over other players in the various game modes? What items can I only buy with cash that lets me beat everyone in wvw and spvp who didn’t buy those gemstore items? What cash only items allow me to beat raid and fractal bosses faster than players who didn’t buy those cash only gemstore items? Hmmm?

You accuse Anet of being “predatory”, yet you can’t answer those simple questions to the community who reads this?

The level of data and inferences you are asking for are best served and detected by Arenanet. We do not have access to all of their metrics. It's mostly only appropriate to comment on the reality of the situation (the end product), rather than the theory utilised which is largely an unknown factor.

You are also confusing the points being made and the initial vertical progression system in the game, and I don't want to keep reiterating it.

@Animism.7530 said:

The level of data and inferences you are asking for are best served and detected by Arenanet. We do not have access to their metrics. It's mostly only appropriate to comment on the reality of the situation (the end product), rather than the theory utilised which is largely an unknown factor.

You are also confusing the points being made and the initial vertical progression system in the game, and I don't want to keep reiterating it.

So you are admitting you don’t know what “pay to win” is?

These questions are simple and do not require “statistical data” or “metrics”. You are clearly avoiding the questions because you cannot back up your claims. You can’t even answer a simple question calling out your “predatory” comments against a game that doesn’t charge players a monthly sub and that allows players to acquire any item off the gem store for FREE by exchanging gold to gems.

You are clearly confused with the terms “pay to win” and “predatory”.

@Swagger.1459 said:

The level of data and inferences you are asking for are best served and detected by Arenanet. We do not have access to their metrics. It's mostly only appropriate to comment on the reality of the situation (the end product), rather than the theory utilised which is largely an unknown factor.

So you are admitting you don’t know what “pay to win” is?

These questions are simple and do not require “statistical data” or “metrics”. You are clearly avoiding the questions because you cannot back up your claims. You can’t even answer a simple question calling out your “predatory” comments against a game that doesn’t charge players a monthly sub and that allows players to acquire any item off the gem store for FREE by exchanging gold to gems.

You are clearly confused with the terms “pay to win” and “predatory”.

Fine.. I'll respond to you even though your questions are answered through multiple of my previous comments and I made a point of that.

I didn't say that cosmetics are required; I said that they end up being the sole purpose of the game, inherently through the horizontal progression system after the initial brief vertical progression. I even gave an analogy contrasting it directly to a vertical system and how microtransactions are generally received throughout different games.

The remarks of Arenanet's tactics by me, and I'm quite sure the OP and others; relates to the design of the game inherently favouring people who are willing to pay for every item in their game through the purchasing of gems; and it equally undermines the value of those items. Hence; it can be called a wallet game.If you find something you fancy in this horizontal progression game (cosmetics.. after point 1...), the most viable way to get them (also factoring that the items that people tend to want to obtain tend to be in these later days of GW2 designed for the gem store) are designed by Arenanet to be through the gem store, for real-world money purchases.

@Animism.7530 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:It is up to you. I would never pay for any skins, mounts weapons armor... forget it. I have only the slots they gave me (some upgrades came with slots). I have maybe 8? I have not used them all and probably never will. Of my 7 avatars there are 3 I play regularly, 3 I could delete and never notice, but 1 is certainly the main.

If you want all that other kitten, you can certainly buy it - but the game is definitely playable without it. There is a big difference between needs and wants. It is up to you.

The only thing on your list that might be a real problem is the computer specs. I have not seen the required specs for the expansion, so I do not know if it is applicable yet.

Ok, if you are going to write that the 'only' real problem'
MIGHT
be computer specs; we can stop this line of enquiry here.

Guild Wars 2 is infamous for having some of the worst optimisation and frame rates.

Have they said the new expansion will have additional PC requirements? I have not seen any - that is why 'might' is the correct word.

@Animism.7530 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:So now anything offered for sale is "predatory?" Like when I walked down the cereal aisle at Walmart yesterday, all those shiny boxes begging me to buy them? That was WM being predatory, too?

Anyway. New players don't immediately need added bag slots. If they do their dailies, and don't waste their gold, they can easily get 18-slot bags, which will suffice until they can buy a slot. And those shiny suits? Not needed, like at all.

And here's a PSA: Do the weekly key farm. Get free stuff.

You are playing a game. Not grocery shopping in real life.

Stop trying to justify spending real-life money amounts for clothes on in-game clothes and/or QOL items.

Ok, as soon as someone points me to where the game requires me to own those outfits? Just like that poster's example of cereal in an aisle at Wal-Mart, I'm not required to buy any of that either. You see, you don't need that stuff, and it just being there, being for sale, isn't predatory.

Remind yourself of the gear progression system in this game, please.

There's gear progression in GW2?

Wow. Arenanet have stated it themselves enough, I have no need to provide you with the many videos detailing this fact.

The commons you get for free, then the uncommons you get for free, then the rares you get for free, then the exotics that drop less frequently but are typically cheap on the TP, the the ascended that people craft, through mats they farm themselves, to legendaries that require effort (but are more for looks/convenience).

That's the gear progression. PvP doesn't even need you to be in common gear, because gear is ignored - apart from what weapons you equip, because that controls 1-5 skills. Everything outside of raids, wvw, and (higher level) fractals can be done in rares.

It really baffles me that so many people are missing the point.

All gear types up to Ascended are a vertical progression system. This is known to be a very short venture in GW2.The horizontal progression system which GW2 has, is precisely the latter of your first paragraph; mostly intertwined with gemstore skins.Please understand the point here of the disparity between items earnt in-game (or) through the gemstore whilst losing more value through conversions to gems; and the value of purchasing gems and items directly from Arenanet.

Gemstore skins are horizontal progression?

I see you ignored my second paragraph which pointed out that the higher end gear is optional for people in general PvE. The story throws gear at you, as does leveling your character. Additionally, ascended trinkets, if one wishes those, are bought with magic and map currency. Or laurels. Or guild commendations. Or WvW tokens. Or PVP tokens.

What is your actual point?

Yes. They are horizontal progression in a game that is built around cosmetics.I ignored it because it is trivial. The functionality of legendary armour is just that - entirely not needed or even involved in either a power creep or cosmetic outfits.I understand there are a few items that can be farmed in game - it is very clear there is a massive disparity between general items earnt in game and through the gemstore.I do not need to validate this as it is entirely self-evident with the range of items and cosmetics placed on there.

I literally just explained it to you, and for some reason you proceed to then explain the brief vertical progression system that I have already mentioned.

The game is not built around cosmetics. All the skins and cosmetic addons are just that - cosmetic. None of them are required to play the game. They are just for show. It is not at all like pay to play/win. I have plenty of fun playing and could not care less about skins. If they give me some in game I might use them. If they do not give them to me, I do not care, and will not miss them.

There is a big difference between wants and needs.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Tukaram.8256 said:It is up to you. I would never pay for any skins, mounts weapons armor... forget it. I have only the slots they gave me (some upgrades came with slots). I have maybe 8? I have not used them all and probably never will. Of my 7 avatars there are 3 I play regularly, 3 I could delete and never notice, but 1 is certainly the main.

If you want all that other kitten, you can certainly buy it - but the game is definitely playable without it. There is a big difference between needs and wants. It is up to you.

The only thing on your list that might be a real problem is the computer specs. I have not seen the required specs for the expansion, so I do not know if it is applicable yet.

Ok, if you are going to write that the 'only' real problem'
MIGHT
be computer specs; we can stop this line of enquiry here.

Guild Wars 2 is infamous for having some of the worst optimisation and frame rates.

Have they said the new expansion will have additional PC requirements? I have not seen any - that is why 'might' is the correct word.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:So now anything offered for sale is "predatory?" Like when I walked down the cereal aisle at Walmart yesterday, all those shiny boxes begging me to buy them? That was WM being predatory, too?

Anyway. New players don't immediately need added bag slots. If they do their dailies, and don't waste their gold, they can easily get 18-slot bags, which will suffice until they can buy a slot. And those shiny suits? Not needed, like at all.

And here's a PSA: Do the weekly key farm. Get free stuff.

You are playing a game. Not grocery shopping in real life.

Stop trying to justify spending real-life money amounts for clothes on in-game clothes and/or QOL items.

Ok, as soon as someone points me to where the game requires me to own those outfits? Just like that poster's example of cereal in an aisle at Wal-Mart, I'm not required to buy any of that either. You see, you don't need that stuff, and it just being there, being for sale, isn't predatory.

Remind yourself of the gear progression system in this game, please.

There's gear progression in GW2?

Wow. Arenanet have stated it themselves enough, I have no need to provide you with the many videos detailing this fact.

The commons you get for free, then the uncommons you get for free, then the rares you get for free, then the exotics that drop less frequently but are typically cheap on the TP, the the ascended that people craft, through mats they farm themselves, to legendaries that require effort (but are more for looks/convenience).

That's the gear progression. PvP doesn't even need you to be in common gear, because gear is ignored - apart from what weapons you equip, because that controls 1-5 skills. Everything outside of raids, wvw, and (higher level) fractals can be done in rares.

It really baffles me that so many people are missing the point.

All gear types up to Ascended are a vertical progression system. This is known to be a very short venture in GW2.The horizontal progression system which GW2 has, is precisely the latter of your first paragraph; mostly intertwined with gemstore skins.Please understand the point here of the disparity between items earnt in-game (or) through the gemstore whilst losing more value through conversions to gems; and the value of purchasing gems and items directly from Arenanet.

Gemstore skins are horizontal progression?

I see you ignored my second paragraph which pointed out that the higher end gear is optional for people in general PvE. The story throws gear at you, as does leveling your character. Additionally, ascended trinkets, if one wishes those, are bought with magic and map currency. Or laurels. Or guild commendations. Or WvW tokens. Or PVP tokens.

What is your actual point?

Yes. They are horizontal progression in a game that is built around cosmetics.I ignored it because it is trivial. The functionality of legendary armour is just that - entirely not needed or even involved in either a power creep or cosmetic outfits.I understand there are a few items that can be farmed in game - it is very clear there is a massive disparity between general items earnt in game and through the gemstore.I do not need to validate this as it is entirely self-evident with the range of items and cosmetics placed on there.

I literally just explained it to you, and for some reason you proceed to then explain the brief vertical progression system that I have already mentioned.

The game is not built around cosmetics. All the skins and cosmetic addons are just that - cosmetic. None of them are required to play the game. They are just for show. It is not at all like pay to play/win. I have plenty of fun playing and could not care less about skins. If they give me some in game I might use them. If they do not give them to me, I do not care, and will not miss them.

There is a big difference between wants and needs.

Whether the next expansion will be more heavy on components is irrelevant. The vanilla game already has such poor optimisation that events and locations can put solid modern machines to frame rates practically unseen in modern games. It is that reason why GW2 is infamous and an outlier for elements of poor performance. This, in a way, is a blurred compliment to Arenanet given that the game has some other elements so strong that it overwhelms many negatives. We are generally settled with the expectation that this game will never be able to handle many players in close proximity spamming animations.

It is for show... but there is a reason 'they' call it Fashion Wars. Both this game and the original, are practically loot-grind games. Though I admit, not as extreme as other titles.