Top roaming classes

Mai Chou.7165

Evening all, just a quick question can’t seem to find an up to date discussion on this. I’m just wondering what the top classes/ builds are for solo roaming in WvW? Any class will do, just wanting something solid I can stick to with good sustain and damage any help is massively appreciated thanks in advance!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. D/P Daredevil
  2. S/D Daredevil
  3. Staff Daredevil
  4. Condi Mesmer
  5. Druid/Soulbeast

Obviously I'm memeing on this post but there's a lot of truth to it: The top solo-roamers all sport mobility and stealth in common. I've seen effective solo roamers play warrior/SB as well but just about nothing else will fit the mould.

You can have fun on just about any class with the right build but the further you stray from the highly mobile stealth-based classes, the more difficult it becomes for you to avoid zergs/groups of players larger than you.

I’m interested by the soul beast/Ranger/Druid option, would anyone be able to link a build for roaming if possible please? Would rather roll one as I’m aweful with thief and find Condi Mesmer pretty boring just my play style I suppose cheers for the replies though guys!

@"Mai Chou.7165" said:I’m interested by the soul beast/Ranger/Druid option, would anyone be able to link a build for roaming if possible please? Would rather roll one as I’m awful with thief and find Condi Mesmer pretty boring just my play style I suppose cheers for the replies though guys!

Always thought this guy put together some nice vids with game play. I guess the build in the vid is good for wvw as well even though he's in pvp land. Maybe a good start for ya.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gZVMpN-F0I&feature=youtu.be

@Inoki.6048 said:Deadeyes were fun, before we got crippled coz ppl cry all over everywhere. Now we scratch like a newborn kitten - you feel it, but laugh about it.

we got crippled? i havent noticed it so far, deadeye is still the best class to hide inside enemy objects due to elite and is just strong enough to kill lots of not so aware players.so if you like to hide in objectives when they fall or move into objectives with an enemy zerg to flip it later solo, deadeye is a good choise. you can switch ofc to daredevil for the lords if you feel safer with it but most are also easy on deadeye.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Inoki.6048 said:Deadeyes were fun, before we got crippled coz ppl cry all over everywhere. Now we scratch like a newborn kitten - you feel it, but laugh about it.

we got crippled? i havent noticed it so far, deadeye is still the best class to hide inside enemy objects due to elite and is just strong enough to kill lots of not so aware players.so if you like to hide in objectives when they fall or move into objectives with an enemy zerg to flip it later solo, deadeye is a good choise. you can switch ofc to daredevil for the lords if you feel safer with it but most are also easy on deadeye.

I feel like we did. e.g. I run full glass cannon (zerk armour, marauder trinkets + weapons and gave up practically all defence for the sake of high dmg) but often when I hit "general builds" I would call them (no insane toughness etc.) somehow they stopped dying...

Doesn't mean there hasn't been an official statement that a class can't be nerfed subtly. Correct me if I'm wrong, skill 1 on the rifle used to have a higher value on it. Last time I checked recently was 681.

@Inoki.6048 said:I feel like we did. e.g. I run full glass cannon (zerk armour, marauder trinkets + weapons and gave up practically all defence for the sake of high dmg) but often when I hit "general builds" I would call them (no insane toughness etc.) somehow they stopped dying...

Doesn't mean there hasn't been an official statement that a class can't be nerfed subtly. Correct me if I'm wrong, skill 1 on the rifle used to have a higher value on it. Last time I checked recently was 681.

well might be just cause another week, other servers to fight against..who knows. i dont feel any diffrence my gear is full berserk, i am not full offensive traited tho - i run SA, CS, DE.. i still oneshot most builds.

skill 1 currently standing in spawn 0 bloodlust stack, no stomp buff : 811 brutal aim , 1082 deadly aim and 947 cursed bullet.

i started playing DE on monday i think (cant remember, culd be last sunday) and havent slept much since. so if it was stronger before that i dunno

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Inoki.6048 said:I feel like we did. e.g. I run full glass cannon (zerk armour, marauder trinkets + weapons and gave up practically all defence for the sake of high dmg) but often when I hit "general builds" I would call them (no insane toughness etc.) somehow they stopped dying...

well might be just cause another week, other servers to fight against..who knows. i dont feel any diffrence my gear is full berserk, i am not full offensive traited tho - i run SA, CS, DE.. i still oneshot most builds.

skill 1 currently standing in spawn 0 bloodlust stack, no stomp buff : 811 brutal aim , 1082 deadly aim and 947 cursed bullet.

i started playing DE on monday i think (cant remember, culd be last sunday) and havent slept much since. so if it was stronger before that i dunno

I run the same but swap CS for Trickery since I run a stealth build but that has no impact on the value of the stat. I even checked now quickly through the build editor. There's a difference in a few points only, no major impact.

I dunno why I saw that difference and I'm quite certain I wasn't high.

Oh how wrong it is to "cry" about a skill doing 21k damage..So wrong ! All these noobs crying,its like.. everyone should be able to do 21k damage with one skill,amiright?

@"Mai Chou.7165" said:I’m interested by the soul beast/Ranger/Druid option, would anyone be able to link a build for roaming if possible please? Would rather roll one as I’m aweful with thief and find Condi Mesmer pretty boring just my play style I suppose cheers for the replies though guys!

you sure you want to become a ranger?goodluck btw

hope you can be one of these rangers

@mulzi.8273 said:Lately, I've been seeing a ton of guards/DHs roaming lately. All burn/condi guards of course. So many in fact, that it made me go to the patch notes to see if Anet buffed something to make all the FoTM kiddies switch to the next condi craze.

That's good to hear. Do they seem viable, winning fights, etc? Or are they crashing and.... :)

@Norbe.7630 said:

@"Mai Chou.7165" said:I’m interested by the soul beast/Ranger/Druid option, would anyone be able to link a build for roaming if possible please? Would rather roll one as I’m aweful with thief and find Condi Mesmer pretty boring just my play style I suppose cheers for the replies though guys!

you sure you want to become a ranger?goodluck btw

hope you can be one of these rangers

very nice vid, but from before the nerf of astral force CD, so...

@Choppy.4183 said:

@mulzi.8273 said:Lately, I've been seeing a ton of guards/DHs roaming lately. All burn/condi guards of course. So many in fact, that it made me go to the patch notes to see if Anet buffed something to make all the FoTM kiddies switch to the next condi craze.

That's good to hear. Do they seem viable, winning fights, etc? Or are they crashing and.... :)

They're probably winning a few fights. But as a Thief, I don't think I've ever lost to a burn guard...so, if they are doing well solo, they're probably doing so near objectives/spawn where they can escape. xD

@Turk.5460 said:

@Choppy.4183 said:

They're probably winning a few fights. But as a Thief, I don't think I've ever lost to a burn guard...so, if they are doing well solo, they're probably doing so near objectives/spawn where they can escape. xD

Exactly, Guardian mobility and escape measure is an issue in wvw.You can't reset fight at all, literally.

Compare to condi mirage/ chrono or a skilled daredevil , it's just has too many disadvantages as a roaming class.

thieves and mesmers.....not really any debate here. You can't beat their mobility, escapism, and damage.

To be an effective roamer you need to be able to get to objectives asap. Hit things when the enemy isn't there. To divide and conquer the enemy when they are there. And be able to retreat from any bad situation and try again asap.

So that involves not relying on tank, but rather invulnerabilities, stealth, speed, traps, illusions of whatever sort.

Don't play an engineer. Leather armor ranger and thief as well as elemental and mesmer are all great roamers. But engineer is a bad roamer.

If you really want to roam as an engineer its best to go glass canno holosmite scrapper or blow torch build and hope for the best.

Roamers tend to do a good amount of damahe and have special defensives to avoid damage and also have stealth and speed.

If damage taken was more sustained - engineer would be the best roam class in the game.

New expansion, new specs. I kinda go along with what most streamers say: enjoy the game, play the new specs, dont tryhard with your boring 1111 boondruids. Rather play the harder PoF soulbeast.

Main issue is the spellbreaker spam going on so people cant play condi classes like Burn FB/Hybrid Weavers because no boonrip + almost perma resistance.

Id like to tell everyone who claims that chrono, druid or scrapper are good for roaming that they are bad. But guess it takes several years for some people to learn the new specs. And no, winning 1v1 against General rank or adding in 1v1 and winning 2v1 doesn't make your class good.

What id say are good at the moment: Scourge (very very broken due to trailblazer), d/s + gs spellbreaker (hardcounters most cool specs), daredevil, Herald (no hammer), holosmith (power rifle), soulbeast and power mirage. Ele and Guard are pretty underwhelming, like before PoF, which kinda makes sense as they're more supportive classes.

@Threather.9354 said:What id say are good at the moment: Scourge (very very broken due to trailblazer), d/s + gs spellbreaker (hardcounters most cool specs), daredevil, Herald (no hammer), holosmith (power rifle), soulbeast and power mirage. Ele and Guard are pretty underwhelming, like before PoF, which kinda makes sense as they're more supportive classes.

you really think scourge is good at roaming ? in group yes but solo i dont think so, like every nekro too easy to kite.oh and good to see your still playing, wonder when i will be running into you again :D

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Threather.9354 said:What id say are good at the moment: Scourge (very very broken due to trailblazer), d/s + gs spellbreaker (hardcounters most cool specs), daredevil, Herald (no hammer), holosmith (power rifle), soulbeast and power mirage. Ele and Guard are pretty underwhelming, like before PoF, which kinda makes sense as they're more supportive classes.

you really think scourge is good at roaming ? in group yes but solo i dont think so, like every nekro too easy to kite.oh and good to see your still playing, wonder when i will be running into you again :D

Before the f5 nerf (7 burns -> 1 burn), Scourge is pretty broken, and only lose to powerful range class that's good at kiting. (Deadeye mostly)Before the nerf I literally roamed for 2 days straight with trailblazer until I reach Diamond completion, and the only class I lost is some form of Deadeye/ Daredevil that's good at kiting/ stealth, and some form of Mirage/ chrono that's also equally good at kitting.

Even Spellbreaker post no threat pre-nerf because their only trick to win is when Berserker Stance is up, so just kite them until the Berserker Stance is over.With Trailblazer and barrier spam it's very easy to do so.

I have to mention that playing scourge during that time is the happiest time I'm in WvW because playing God Mode and unstoppable is very satisfying.Never been so happy in WvW before.

I often 1 v 2 with Scourge too in WvW.

Thief is good at roaming only cuz it's good at escaping, but when it comes to duel, there're many classes that counter them directly in a fair fight.(Freshair Ele with lots of reflect, Condi Chorno/ Mirage, Spellbreaker, Longbow Soulbeast and so on)

Archived