Please fix the weird tilting already! [Merged]

GWMO.4785

On 11/13/2021 at 10:28 PM, Starseer.1047 said:

Oh my goodness, that's my biggest beef with this as well--jp problems. There is an achievement in PoF's birthplace of Vlast that wants you to do a jp. Said jp requires you to balance very carefully on ropes (way less sturdy than beams). My character (male sylvari necromancer) was wobbling SO MUCH, quickly wobbling back and forth between hanging off the left than the right, that it was impossible to tell where his center of gravity was, making it where I couldn't accurately correct his balance, causing me to never complete the puzzle. There were points where he was completely horizontal or even hanging off under the rope somehow!? This happened in August 2021, but has been going on long before this (there was a point where, probably last year or farther, I was sitting down... on the vertical surface of a wall!). This also isn't limited to my sylvari necro (though he probably has the most examples, since he's my main); this has happened a lot with my male human mirage.

The only current workaround is to stow your weapons (or redraw, then stow, if they were already stowed), then wait 2 seconds for the character to realign correctly to gravity, then walk a step or two.

I really wish they would permanently fix this so that characters would never bug out that way. It used to work a year ago (with very rare temporary exceptions), why no more?

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:24 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The only current workaround is to stow your weapons (or redraw, then stow, if they were already stowed), then wait 2 seconds for the character to realign correctly to gravity, then walk a step or two.

I really wish they would permanently fix this so that characters would never bug out that way. It used to work a year ago (with very rare temporary exceptions), why no more?

I'll keep this in mind next time I try that particular jp (though I probably won't get to it anytime soon, since it made me so mad XD)! And in general, whenever it's impeding my progress somehow. Thank you!

Purely a guess, but this issue first occured when they were trying to fix performance on certain maps. Perhaps they did so by reducing the number of polygons to render/calculate, maybe even automatically with a simple algorithm that skips ploygon nodes based on proximity. GW2 always used textures to give you the impression of more 3d details than actually modeled. It's possible to e.g. create the picture of a staircase with textures while the actual polygon model is a mere chute. As long as you don't use the staircase noone will notice.

If that's what happened they could fix it in a relatively easy way by checking pc/npc vertical orientation continuously. We might then complain about clipping feet or floating above ground, though...

I'm with you, however. While it's not game breaking, it's definitely immersion breaking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neon.7159 said:

It happen at randoms, and it's  annoying. Please fix it.

1. It doesn't happen at random. It happens whenever your character gets knocked off their feet (pushed, pulled, etc).

2. You are right, there is no proper fix, only an annoying workaround: stow your weapon (or unsheeth it first, if it's already stowed, than stow it again) and wait 1-2 seconds. Your character will re-align according to the laws of gravity.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neon.7159 said:

That should be fixed, I mean its almost as bad as when you go ld in a mission and you have to start over.

I agree, it's extremely embarrassing for a game where gravity used to work properly, and then suddenly it no longer did and hasn't been fixed to date.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

Is there any situation in the game that requires a character on two feet to be perpendicular to a slope? Trying to guess why there is some special code in the game that does just that, to begin with. And then why most slopes keep you vertical while other identical slopes have you stuck like a nail (no stun needed). Does every slope have some kind of gravity axis built in? Very puzzling.

Edited by Leo.3428

On 12/5/2021 at 4:09 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It popped up again in March or around there, but that isn't the first time.  It happened years ago for awhile, and then went away.

It hasn't gone away for a full year now. Each and every single time your character gets knocked off their feet (by push, pull etc), this happens.

The current "self-fix" is to stow your weapons (or first unsheeth them if stowed, then stow them again) and watch your character slide back into the correct gravity-alignment (takes a second or two and looks hysterical).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 3:58 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It affects some players; not all.  I've not encountered it this iteration, at all.

Then you have not been pushed, pulled or otherwise knocked off your feet in a year! 😂

I am so traumatized by this bug that, when I just watched a video for another MMORPG that has deliberate character tilting when moving sideways, I got a knot in my stomach and was mentally pushing the "Stow Weapons" key to correct the issue. 🤢

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Baloney.  Of course I have been pushed, pulled, knocked back, etc.  It just doesn't affect every player. 

I would love some official response on how it is possible that it isn't affecting everyone, so I could eliminate the source of it affecting me. I'm starting to get seasick whenever my character starts shifting rapidly from left to right on a narrow perch, for instance. I have to stop and use the self-fix mentioned earlier before I can proceed - it's infuriating.

Do me a huge favor, Inculpatus cedo: enter the Winter Wonderland, let one of those snowballs hit you until you get teleported back to the start, then try some of those slopy snowflakes and tell me whether you're character is standing upright or tilted to one side on them. Thanks.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Inculpatus cedo.9234: I am quite certain that you are mistaken and no one is unaffected by this bug. You probably just haven't noticed the bug because the tilt angle depends on the terrain - the character is then always in a 90° angle in relation to the tilt angle of the ground their standing on, so you won't notice the bug on rather flat terrain.

Also, the following conditions must be true for the bug to occur: your character must have just been knocked off their feed and must not have stowed their weapons yet, and must be moving on a steep slope or otherwise heavily tilted ground beneath their feet for you to actually notice the bug. (As soon as they stow their weapons, the game will auto-correct the character's tilt angle.)

This is probably most noticeable on the Desert Borderland map in WvW, beause you are in-fight a lot and have a lot of slopes. Or, as I suggested before, in the Winter Wonderland JP whenever you happen to get knocked back.

Edit - I just made a quick video to demonstrate the issue. If someone cannot replicate it, please let us know! I'm dying to learn if there are indeed people who get spared the headache.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Joe Farmer.2063 said:

Was easily able to reproduce this in the puzzle. Extremely annoying.

Thank you! 🙂

Now, if only people like @Inculpatus cedo.9234 would try it and report back, since he insists that it's not affecting everyone 100% of the time, including himself...

Perhaps a kind soul who is in the same boat and has not noticed such a bug after each push/pull/knockdown could give this a try?😊Would be highly appreciated, for I have redownloaded the whole game the other day, after deleting all files including the Local.dat etc (even went through the whole Registry, just to be sure), and see if it would fix it, but to no avail.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Endatir.3028 said:

Seems like character tilt is caused by some outfits. For me tilting appeared in combat while using "True Assassin Guise Outfit" but as soon as i changed outfit to "Shadow Assassin Outfit" my character immediately went straight.

I often do human story key runs and the very first fight in the bar when you beat Ted and walk down the stairs, my character is always slanting forward.

No outfits, just white level one gears.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:53 PM, Endatir.3028 said:

Seems like character tilt is caused by some outfits.

No, it is caused whenever your character is being knocked off their feet (pushed, pulled, knocked down/back).

Try the Winter Wonderland JP as instructed above and you will see.

Edit: Or go here and try this:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had great fun doing the daily Sanctum Sprint in an oblique position after being hit by lightning -- especially the wild bobbing from left to right to left and right again while walking across the narrow bamboo beams. :classic_wacko:

Can we please get an official statement on the current status quo of the repair attempts regarding this issue?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...