I heard WvW was fun for a few hours before the hotfix, True?

Loboling.5293

People have been talking about a strength rune bug, which made power builds deal much higher damage, bringing back the fast paced gw2 combat. I heard it was very fun for a few hours, unfortunately I missed it myself, since I barely play anymore, I haven't done by daily yet since update. But I was curious, was this really a big difference. Is more damage that much better? Curious for those who got to play with the bug, would the game benefit if it was balanced in that direction? 

• Like 3

It was fun because it is the stark contrast of the current meta. I have no issue's going back to a more damage oriented meta, however not to that extent. One shot builds that don't allow for counter play are only amusing for so long. 

As far as if it was a big difference, the runes added 5% damage per might stack, instead of a flat 5% while under the effect of might. So yes, a full 25 stacks of might was a huge difference. Just think on the largest single hit you've taken in WvW in the current meta, then imagine it with that bug.

Edited by lilcoffeebean.3149
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, anonymous.7812 said:

No, in fact they should scale back damage a bit more since people are running with 80%+ uptime of quickness, and Conditions do damage now, so ttk is too low again.

Generally the TTK is not really high unless two really big zergs encounter each other, which are both somewhat well-composed and of soemwhat equal skill. Most fights in WvW were over pretty fast before the patch, and they are still over pretty fast now. If anything it should IMO be increased more either way.

In roaming this is maybe more of an issue, though I'd say it's more the discrepancy of condition damage combined with defensive stats, that's an issue here.

Edited by nthmetal.9652
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Well there was a couple years of high damage already, did you think it benefited the game in that direction back then?

Yes, I think the game was much more balanced before PoF during some of the faster metas. My favorite metas were before HoT and before PoF. Although, I do think things are slightly better now than when PoF came out. So I guess one could say the meta has gotten better for the past few years, but the recovery wasn't as smooth as with HoT, which had crap metas for about 2 seasons before the balance became really fast and fun. 

Anyway, I was just curious how effective a simple bug like this was a bringing life back into pvp/wvw. It seems like it went too far. I agree, one shots, generally, are not fun. But one shots, that take a ton of setup are fine, even good. So long as there is counterplay, I am happy to have high damage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loboling.5293 said:

Anyway, I was just curious how effective a simple bug like this was a bringing life back into pvp/wvw. It seems like it went too far. I agree, one shots, generally, are not fun. But one shots, that take a ton of setup are fine, even good. So long as there is counterplay, I am happy to have high damage. 

That's the problem with one shots, there isn't a lot of counterplay to begin with, especially ones from stealth, which is probably why they had built in so many auto defense traits into the game to actually give you a moment to react, a bunch of which also got their cooldowns increased to 300s with the damage reduction.

Over the course of two expansions they increased damage, and sustain, and strips, and added actual support specs, and the heavy reliance on boon stripping to create the windowed opportunities of attack, gw2's very own trinity setup. Boon stripping had already been reduced by a lot while purity of purpose was added to keep boons up, damage reduction was needed, but so was sustain reduction to match it but instead got better.

Boon duration reduction this week was a joke and another bandaid to avoid fixing the actual problem. Oh wait sorry, actual problem for the non zerg boon ballers I guess, which at the end of the day most players in guilds prefer to boon ball so not a problem for them.

I don't mind high damage, but I prefer them in aoes, you see a red ring then get out of it. I didn't have a problem with meteor doing the damage it did, it has a long cooldown, you have a chance to avoid it with dodges, and it required the caster to channel it through, plenty of counterplay. But something like CoR was over the top with one shot damage, 2s cooldown, no ground marker, animation which you can barely see in a zerg. They've since adjusted all parts of CoR but unfortunately they left it buggy on where you use it.

The damage increase yesterday just showed how much of a difference boon and healing sustain makes in todays meta. If they want to increase aoe damage I'm ok for that. Single target one shot, not at all. I think taking out damage from cc's was also a good thing, and it should extend to stealth, they both should be used to set up burst, not also be the burst, which allows a moment to prepare and counter a potential incoming burst, everything should have a visual tell and counterplay to it.

• Like 1

Yeah it was fun for those who were abusing the bug. Not so much for people who didn't know about it and were getting rekt in a few nade throws (most people I saw try to abuse this were engies). Was fun reflecting dmg and watch them panic after they hit themselves 10k though. Absolute comedy.

• Like 2

it was nice. a lot of people did yet abuse the bug, so yeah. it became common knowledge after it has been live for a few hours. u could anyways notice the absurd damage amounts this day. those people who did not use it kinda made their choice, i guess.

i played on herald, bc i had the strength runes anyways on it. finally it felt like having "real" dmg again. finally no need to avoid heavy overnumbers and the possiblility to see "impact" in single dps drops.

even the trashy and selfish glassbuilds of ranger and theif are these days normally bulky enough to easily eat 2-3 rev spikes (of 1 single herald at least)...

i started playing 2019, so i learnt to fight with the "real" dmg. you guys maybe have had it for several years and felt fine to get something new, but i hate it.

it's feeling only as if Arenanet tried to nerf  "skill" and rewarded slacking or heavy outnumbering.