Good mesmer open world build?

This is my second level 80 character, so I'm not the most knowledgable on setting these up. I need a build which won't cost too much to gear and has guidance on how to use it. If you could add the type of gear it needs, that'd be great cause I still have trouble with that.

• Like 1

Trailblazer Staff Mirage. Then just spam staff ambush. You can do nice rotations and combos too if you want, but spamming 1 is enough for most of the mobs. It gets harder if you want to solo champs and legendaries, then you need to know what you're doing a bit, and use food and utility items, but for most of the open world, it's a pretty chill easy build.

If you don't have the money for Trailblazer, use Dire, it's i think cheaper.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Trailblazer Staff Mirage. Then just spam staff ambush. You can do nice rotations and combos too if you want, but spamming 1 is enough for most of the mobs. It gets harder if you want to solo champs and legendaries, then you need to know what you're doing a bit, and use food and utility items, but for most of the open world, it's a pretty chill easy build.

If you don't have the money for Trailblazer, use Dire, it's i think cheaper.

Thanks! What runes and sigils does this use? 

9 minutes ago, River.5891 said:

I'm just going to put this out there ... that build is not 'best' for OW content. It's best for SOLOING extremely hard OW content like Bounties and harder MP's. Considering 99% of what you are doing isn't going to be that hard, that build will not serve you well for most of OW. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, River.5891 said:

There's a build in the video description.

You can check the entire build here:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAYZlRwkYVMEmJWyP6PNA-zRJYkRFfZkZKESFo3BIc9wbpKfL-e

And as Obtena said, it's best for soloing open world. I'd argue that it's pretty good in all situations because i use it and it's pretty fun to play even when you're not soloing.

But also - most open world content is easy enough as it is, so you can pretty much use any build you want. This one will just serve you well when there's no one to help you run some more difficult events, bounties etc.

9 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I'm just going to put this out there ... that build is not 'best' for OW content. It's best for SOLOING extremely hard OW content like Bounties and harder MP's. Considering 99% of what you are doing isn't going to be that hard, that build will not serve you well for most of OW. 

Since the change on mirage the staff/staff build is better than Axe even for OW random content.
I use a similare build and it's fine.

If the @OP plan to use it more in event/kill lot of trash, just swap bursting for stamina on both staff and you're fine.

@River.5891 The build I use, very similare to Hizen but deal more dmg +more sustain. That said rune are very expensive : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAYZlRwQYKMJmJW0P6PNA-zRJYkR1fZkZq2RV59s470G-e

Skill 8 is a flex spot, change it by whatever you need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Yeah, he could use that TB staff mirage build as is and it's 'fine' ... but that's pretty bad advice to throw someone out into OW with a build that is only optimal for soloing 1% of OW content. 

Considering it works with hard content, it also works with easier content. Sure, you could optimize to kill trashmobs faster and sacrifice the being able to tackle harder bosses, but that doesn't make this build "bad" advice.

The way I took it, OP wants a build that allows him to do open world. This build would allow him to do open world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Imba.9451 said:

Considering it works with hard content, it also works with easier content. Sure, you could optimize to kill trashmobs faster and sacrifice the being able to tackle harder bosses, but that doesn't make this build "bad" advice.

The way I took it, OP wants a build that allows him to do open world. This build would allow him to do open world.

Yeah, that's not the problem here. I'm sure the OP wants more than just ANY build that works in OW because almost any random build does that. He could probably come up with that random build on his own. He's not asking for an OW build here for just whatever because anyone can create that 'just whatever' build. 

Let's be fair here ... you guys are supporting a build that will not be very good for most content we encounter in OW PVE. And the OP is going to go out, likely with his few gold bits and try to make it. #badadvice

Edited by Obtena.7952

Trailblaizer or similar condi bunker mesmer variants are the most boring builds I have ever played in GW2. I fully agree with Obtena here, it will not serve you well. It might be a little better now with staff being OP and torment better for stationary targets but it is still boring.

It has a very very slow dmg ramp time and even when everything is ticking it's nothing to write home about, it's AOE is underwhelming. Due to the slow ramp time you will have issues even tagging in big events and you surely won't do anything effective because things will die before you will start ticking any substantial damage. You will kill normal mobs very slowly and big groups will feel like eternity.

The only thing this build can do is solo champs and similar. Everywhere else it is underwhelming. I vastly prefer power mesmer builds in OW due to having immense burst. And your survive ability is still good due to clones and many active avoidance skills.

Edited by Cuks.8241
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Imba.9451 said:

No this build really doesn't work with trash mobs. Yeah you won't get killed by them but that's the only good thing you can say about this build. People complain about Pof mobs re spawning to fast, before they can kill everything. With this build you will never clear an area in Pof.

57 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Yeah, that's not the problem here. I'm sure the OP wants more than just ANY build that works in OW because almost any random build does that. He could probably come up with that random build on his own. He's not asking for an OW build here for just whatever because anyone can create that 'just whatever' build. 

No, not any random build does that, at least not beyond vanilla. Being too squishy or having no movement can get you killed easily, especially as a new player.

Let's be fair here ... you guys are supporting a build that will not be very good for most content we encounter in OW PVE. And the OP is going to go out, likely with his few gold bits and try to make it. #badadvice

A build that manages to do good dps AND thats survivable AND lets you kill strong bosses is bad advice, because what reason exactly? Because another build could squeeze out a bit more dps but sacrifices survivability?

Better let OP clarify what he wants. And even then, your arguments against this build seem to be just for the sake of creating a discussion where none is needed.

13 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

No this build really doesn't work with trash mobs. Yeah you won't get killed by them but that's the only good thing you can say about this build. People complain about Pof mobs re spawning to fast, before they can kill everything. With this build you will never clear an area in Pof.

I played this build even before the update and it was a breeze. So we seemingly have very different experiences with this.

Edited by Imba.9451
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

A build that manages to do good dps AND thats survivable AND lets you kill strong bosses is bad advice,

Yes, because you glossed over the fact that you sacrificed DPS (and other useful skills) to get the 'strong boss' optimization that you don't need for most encounters in OW PVE, especially considering the person asking for the build isn't likely to be soloing strong bosses at all anytime soon anyways. The advice is very poorly considering it's audience. You think the OP needs to clarify to us he's not planning on soloing bounties anytime soon? I don't need the OP to clarify anything to know that build is not good for OW PVE content. 

I played this build even before the update and it was a breeze. So we seemingly have very different experiences with this.

Of course you did ... because it's way more survival than most of the encounters you faced in OW requires. That why that build is NOT good for that kind of content. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

Yes, because you glossed over the fact that you sacrificed DPS (and other useful skills) to get the 'strong boss' optimization that you don't need for most encounters in OW PVE, especially considering the person asking for the build isn't likely to be soloing strong bosses at all anytime soon anyways. The advice is very poorly considering it's audience. You think the OP needs to clarify to us he's not planning on soloing bounties anytime soon? I don't need the OP to clarify anything to know that build is not good for OW PVE content. 

You do you. Fact remains: You can tackle anything with that build.

Of course you did ... because it's way more survival than most of the encounters you faced in OW requires. That why that build is NOT good for that kind of content. 

I honestly lost interest in discussing this with you. You want to make this a scientific debate about what amount of dps in required for what kind of open world content? Sure, go ahead. But as I said, the fact remains that this build lets you breeze through basically any open world content with ease, no matter what you say.

And by the way, instead of getting into a thread trashing on a build provided, you are free to suggest a build on your own. You are not being constructive in the slightest here and only seem to seek out confrontation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

You do you. Fact remains: You can tackle anything with that build.

I honestly lost interest in discussing this with you. You want to make this a scientific debate about what amount of dps in required for what kind of open world content? Sure, go ahead. But as I said, the fact remains that this build lets you breeze through basically any open world content with ease, no matter what you say.

And by the way, instead of getting into a thread trashing on a build provided, you are free to suggest a build on your own. You are not being constructive in the slightest here and only seem to seek out confrontation.

OK .. that doesn't make it a good OW build. I mean ... i can tackle all manner of OW content with a full Nomad bowbear ranger too ... that doesn't make it good. I'm not looking for you to be interested in discussing this with me. I just want to make sure people are being honest about what they are presenting as 'good OW builds' to people who don't know what those builds really look like. Builds that are purely designed to solo Bounties are not likely good OW builds because they are focused on a specific goal that has nothing to do with running around OW and doing content. 

I think if I save someone from wasting gold on a OW build that is not good, that's pretty constructive. Personally, I don't play Mesmer in OW but ironically, I do use this build to solo lots of hard content and have tried it in OW ... and it sucks pretty hard. It's VERY deficient compared to ACTUAL builds optimized for OW content. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, River.5891 said:

This is my second level 80 character, so I'm not the most knowledgable on setting these up. I need a build which won't cost too much to gear and has guidance on how to use it. If you could add the type of gear it needs, that'd be great cause I still have trouble with that.

This may suit your needs. It is very inexpensive exotics, but should be fairly viable. I think will give you a good sense of what the mirage can do, so you can see whether you want to invest more into it. This is the kind of thing I'd do to see if I like a spec, knowing that I can upgrade to more optimal gear over time:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PigAYZlVwgYesImJWyP+PLA-zRQUbYVUhLE04MThIqA5XjqA-e

• Uses Rampager/carrion instead of Vipers. All Rabid, or Rabid/Dire mix is another option.
  • Tormenting runes would be better, but they are expensive. The mobility of Travelers is handy and they are very cheap.
  • The food is kind of a necessity to make dodge (aka Mirage Cloak) available often.

This is a staff/staff mirage, so you can still use Hizen's guide as a rough instruction. 

Here is another guide, which is post-May11-patch so it provides updated information. It is focused toward instanced content and boon maintenance on allies, so don't worry too much about those details at the moment. Just use it for the gist of how to play this spec (note that you would use Self-Deception instead of Renewing Oasis for this style).

Edited by TheAgedGnome.7520
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Imba.9451 said:

A build that manages to do good dps...

No, this build doesn't manage good DPS by any definition of good. Not even close. And worst it has one of the slowest ramp ups so you won't even develop it's potential on mobs that ain't meta bosses and such. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK .. that doesn't make it a good OW build. I mean ... i can tackle all manner of OW content with a full Nomad bowbear ranger too ... that doesn't make it good. I'm not looking for you to be interested in discussing this with me. I just want to make sure people are being honest about what they are presenting as 'good OW builds' to people who don't know what those builds really look like. Builds that are purely designed to solo Bounties are not likely good OW builds because they are focused on a specific goal that has nothing to do with running around OW and doing content. 

I think if I save someone from wasting gold on a OW build that is not good, that's pretty constructive. Personally, I don't play Mesmer in OW but ironically, I do use this build to solo lots of hard content and have tried it in OW ... and it sucks pretty hard. It's VERY deficient compared to ACTUAL builds optimized for OW content. 

You still haven't said what makes a "good OW build".

If i can solo bounties, i can deal with trash mobs and events. And this is confirmed, i can solo Deadhouse for example and run it with people without any issues whatsoever. I can farm, i can do events solo or not, i can get around the map, i can do everything with ease. So i don't see the problem here. What is this build deficient in? What can't you do with this build?

What exactly are you arguing, and if you are, then at least provide a build of your own that's "good for OW"...

To me, a good OW build is the one that will let you do any OW content i want either solo (with various degrees of difficulty), or in groups with ease, meaning, i don't have to think about it too much. So now what? What is your good build? And don't tell me snowcrows.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You still haven't said what makes a "good OW build".

If i can solo bounties, i can deal with trash mobs and events. And this is confirmed, i can solo Deadhouse for example and run it with people without any issues whatsoever. I can farm, i can do events solo or not, i can get around the map, i can do everything with ease. So i don't see the problem here. What is this build deficient in? What can't you do with this build?

What exactly are you arguing, and if you are, then at least provide a build of your own that's "good for OW"...

To me, a good OW build is the one that will let you do any OW content i want either solo (with various degrees of difficulty), or in groups with ease, meaning, i don't have to think about it too much. So now what? What is your good build? And don't tell me snowcrows.

OK ... like I said, the ability to solo hard content doesn't make a build good for OW content. That's not debatable. I did explain why. I've also played this build in OW ... it's trash because of reasons that were already given in this thread by Cuks. Primarily, it's not good damage, which is one of the pillars of what makes a good build in this game in any situation in this game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK ... like I said, the ability to solo hard content doesn't make a build good for OW content. That's not debatable. I did explain why. I've played this build in OW ... it's trash because of reasons that were already given in this thread by Cuks. 

And again you didn't say why the ability to solo content is trash and what makes the buid trash in those situations.

I also asked you to explain what makes a good build. Now you're just trashing a suggestion with no constructive input of your own, and i for one would like to see your version of the good OW build.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Show me please because from what i read i haven't seen it.

That's more of a comprehension problem than a vision issue. I can't help you with either. Reasons have been given, even if you didn't see or understand them. 

Edited by Obtena.7952