The new EOTM Arena is fatally flawed and can't be used for GvG in its current state. -details inside-

Originally posted on GW2 subreddit.

READ: As we all know, the new EOTM arena was released earlier today as part of the May 25 patch. If you don't know here's a link to get up to date on what I am talking about.

So, how the new arena is supposed to work is that there are 3 teams: spectators, red and blue team. Spectators are not allowed to enter inside the arena and can enter into a flying transform to see the fight from directly above the arena. Spectator mode mostly works fine but there is a small thing that can be changed about it.

The major problem with the new arena is with how red and blue team work. Currently, any people on the same teams cannot give boons or stealth to eachother. I've tested this in a party with someone else, in a squad with someone else, and alone, and the other person on my team never gets those boons or stealth. Furthermore, there is a certain field rejection going on with people on the same team where people on the same team cannot trigger eachother's fields through blasts, leaps etc. Even worse, people on the SPECTATOR team can drop fields down onto the arena and those fields can be interacted with by people on both teams. These bugs essentially make the arena unusable for anything but simple 1v1s as boons and stealth are essential for GvG and RvR.

My theory as to why this is happening is that Anet wanted to apply this boon/stealth and field rejection to the spectator team so that spectaors can't meddle with fights instead of the actual teams but spaghetti code happened and accidentally made the entire arena useless. If this is the case, then the solution should be mostly simple to implement before the GvG tourney goes live at the beginning of next month.

The GvG tourney can still happen even with the arena being useless as long as both guilds fighting eachother are different matchup colors and go to the other suitable arena in the middle of EOTM. I have no stake in the GvG tourney but after playing around with the new changes, this will be a setback to it and future GvGs.

Please share this to your respective discords and Anet programmers to get this fixed in a timely manner. Thanks!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

This is like people asking to have their shoes be toggled to be invisible.  Their solution, add a non-existent drop to the game.  Anet doesn't really listen, and when they do, you get something like this.

Kind of like people keep asking where alliances are.  When it happens, and it looks like Factions, with only 2 sides (Kurzick vs Luxon) removing the 3 way fight permanently, people are going to have that surprised Pikachu face, despite being told ahead of time this is the type of thing they do.

• Thanks 1

its really complicated.... how anet  does things.

what i expected: u warp to the area, you get a pick before entering "blue, red or green (spectator = green)"...

what happened: i warped to the area BAM three glasscannon dps going ham on me xD  okay, deding, re-running, equipping full minstrel, there we go again...

searching for the way to become invulnerable. there is none. unless u bunker up and CHANNEL (seriously guys, why the freaking hell channel to pick  a team) your role.

the invisible flying thing spectatormode is nice tho.  but holy bowls, the rest is just weirdly implemented. it's so easy to disrupt people trying to fight there as it looks now, which leads to the question what real use does it have?

u would need to go there very sneaky or u will never have your peace fighting there.

@Ubi.4136 u know, we know the whole, full detailed concept for Alliances that just never went live. it has nothing to do with beeing only a two-way.

There's nothing wrong with these new changes. This is just a new way to play the game mode. Everyone was asking for changes and now that it happened, people are still complaining. You can't please everyone. Thanks for this update ArenaNet.

Edited by tom.5804
spell
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, tom.5804 said:

There's nothing wrong with these new changes. This is just a new way to play the game mode. Everyone was asking for changes and now that it happened, people are still complaining. You can't please everyone. Thanks for this update ArenaNet.

i honestly cannot tell if this is sarcasm or ignorance

... also, not very sure if that is a bug. like, several things are not working properly. let alone picking a teamcolor or watching only should be decided before you are able to hit others. nobody can watch in peace like this.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ubi.4136 said:

This is like people asking to have their shoes be toggled to be invisible.  Their solution, add a non-existent drop to the game.  Anet doesn't really listen, and when they do, you get something like this.

Kind of like people keep asking where alliances are.  When it happens, and it looks like Factions, with only 2 sides (Kurzick vs Luxon) removing the 3 way fight permanently, people are going to have that surprised Pikachu face, despite being told ahead of time this is the type of thing they do.

Well they could also add an imperial side.