New Player Help

I am needing some help as a new player, I am currently looking at either Thief or Ranger. I play casually and solo so looking for something that is going to be easy for me to get through the story and world. I will be looking to progress later in the game with dungeons and higher. 

Any input or advice appreciated on what class. 

• Like 1

Welcome to GW2! 

Ranger is a nice, friendly profession to learn on and good at open world or personal story.  As Ashantara suggested above, look up some builds on metabattle.  Good starting point, has leveling builds, open world builds, etc.  Don't worry about a ton of gear, just have fun and enjoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aspirine.6852 said:

thief is not a very good class for solo play 😕 

I disagree on that. The damage is very high, and mechanics like invisibility can spare you a lot of time (e.g., getting the Balthazar HP in Auric Basin).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I disagree on that. The damage is very high, and mechanics like invisibility can spare you a lot of time (e.g., getting the Balthazar HP in Auric Basin).

True true, I should have added as a new player it is probably not the best choice as your first profession..  High damage but also high risk..

It also depends on what kind of playstyle you're looking for as to what you really want to play as well.  While I main a Ranger myself (gw1 veteran here...fell in love with a Ranger there and have been in love with it ever since), I also play a Thief.  They are both very different in the types of movement that are required as well as playstyle they present.  Metabattle is 1 very popular site in which to look up as far as a resource, but also, look up youtube for a few videos to see how these two classes both differ in playstyle so you can see for yourself which one you may be more comfortable with for yourself as a new player.  There are quite a few video guides out there that can also help you out.  I'm sure my fellow forum-iters out here can recommend a few video guides here too.

• Like 1

I'll also add looking up good builds on metabattle to decide what works best for you. One word of caution I'll pass along that someone passed along to me. Make sure the build you choose (if you do model your build after one you find there) is designed for your style of play. They have a lot of specialized builds for various classes, so if you're going to be doing mostly open world stuff, pick a build designed for that.

• Like 2

If we're comparing core thief to core ranger, I'd highly recommend ranger for a first timer looking for a smooth and easy experience.

While core thieves can survive quite a bit of melee pressure using various forms of blind, the blinds, dodges, and stealths are all much more active forms of defense. Core ranger on the other hand can gain safetly from the immense range offered by longbows, and the ability to swap pets just before they die + longbow 3 for stealth means you can consistently drop aggro and go invisible as needed (all from the safety of long range). This of course comes at the cost of not doing as much damage or offering as much group utility, but I think survival on a ranger is just so much easier to handle for a new player.

As others have said, Ranger is the best beginner class hands down, Core Ranger is very tanky and later on you can skill either into full DPS (Soulbeast) or support (either subclass).

I'll recommend them over Thief for one main reason, area attacks are very important in open-world due to large numbers of adds, and while Thief has high single-target damage, they struggle with groups. It becomes a slog trying to pick everything off one by one.

(Though Daredevil has good melee cleave damage with Staff.)

Edited by Hannelore.8153

is the thief as I imagine him? I come from other mmos and I wouldn't want to be wrong. I'm looking for a mobile melee gameplay, which easily hits its target with a big burst. kill before being killed. jump on the target, kill and leave as fast. Is it a good choice?

59 minutes ago, chook.2785 said:

is the thief as I imagine him? I come from other mmos and I wouldn't want to be wrong. I'm looking for a mobile melee gameplay, which easily hits its target with a big burst. kill before being killed. jump on the target, kill and leave as fast. Is it a good choice?

- If you are talking about PvE then somewhat because thief/DD/DE cabable of doing so if you can take down one or two trash mobs/vet or maybe elite at a time with montrous burst, might having a hard time fighting many if not traited probably.

- In WvW then this class is exactly as you imagine, stealth backstab, stealth sniper, etc very high burst agaisnt glass cannon, might having trouble with skilled players or bunker build but practice is all it takes so yeah this is your everyday assassin class in other mmos.

- Can't speak for PvP cause not my game mode.

Thief is very good for solo with p/p and event more with sniper spe.

Ton of buff, ton of dmg, good evade/invisibility.

Heal when dealing dmg.

gameplay ? Push skill 3 and then do it again when it end.

Never clear a map/story as fast as thief.

Ranger is a popular easy pick with good burst and pet that can help you. 

Sustain dps is pretty meh.

Some good buff and utility skill.

That said, all class can do all. Just pick what appeal to you and learn to play it.